November 2018 Moms

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    @lifesabeach85 is there a theme this week?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @highsteaks I didn’t add a theme oops! But feel free to pick one? 

• Options
    @lifesabeach85 I hate tipping cleaning staff at hotels. The room is so expensive to begin with. Now let me say that we always reuse towels and will even empty our own trash. We pretty much keep the do not disturb sign up. I usually will only leave $5-10 when we leave, depending on how  we long stayed. We also always clean up before we leave, so when they come it they can get straight to the changing sheets and cleaning the bathroom. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have never tipped cleaning staff at a hotel, honestly didn’t even know that was a thing! Now I feel like a jerk. But I get the tipping thing. I just signed up for Shipt and I’m pumped, but didn’t realize I have to tip 10-20% bc apparently the workers don’t really get paid hourly, they rely on tips. So I’m saving time, but not really money. Also just got Panera delivered, on top of a delivery charge plus a tip, not sure that was worth avoiding the traffic. It’s definitely nice and convenient, but just another expense. 
  • Options
    I wish tip was just included in everything. I find it confusing too. I find those credit card machines that ask you to tip add pressure. Back in the day if i were picking up a carry out order or ordered a sandwich at subway or something I wouldn’t of tipped. Now I feel like I add tip to literally everything even if I’m not really getting served. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ... I've never tipped the cleaning staff at a hotel... :s 

Hmmm... let's see... 
    1) Odd colored ketchup is disgusting, which btw if anyone is wondering, Heinz is the superior brand.  I'll settle for an off brand but it's not the same.  (DSD & MH saw green "slime" ketchup as the store the other day and have been talking about getting it... NO. No no and no.  I remember my dad getting green ketchup when I was a kid and I know it's a mental thing but it's gross).  
    2) Onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes are vile raw.  I love all three cooked, but raw = blegh!
    3) Sugar free &/or caffeine free sodas are stupid.  
    4) Black licorice and anything anise flavored should burn in the depth of hades.
    5) I'm not a huge fan of avocados.  I'll eat guacamole and I don't mind a little avocado on something, but just sitting down and chowing on an avocado makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    I agree about the tipping but feel it most strongly on take out orders. I get frustrated by the new thing, where you have to click the iPad if you want to tip 15%, 18%, 20% or 0% (usually at coffee shops and places with walk up ordering).. I usually tip 15% on those but to be totally honest, it's just because I feel like a cheap ass when I search for 0%. I hate the obligation to tip when I am already paying $5 for a latte, or just grabbing food and going with no-one waiting on me or cleaning up after me! I think it's gotten a little excessive.
  • Options
    @emjohn517 yes, preach!  Not lazy, better time management is what I call it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Tipping HAS gotten out of control. I'm sorry, Starbucks barista, I am not going to tip you for doing your (fairly well paying) job. Nor do I tip when I'm picking up a carry out order (with the exception of one bartender at a local restaurant that knows my order, knows me onsite - even if it's been months since I've been in, and always makes sure my food is super fresh). Waiters, waitresses, and bartenders are a bit of a different situation since their pay scale is ridiculously low to account for tips. I do generously compensate great service, but I don't think I've ever left 0 tip at a sit down restaurant - definitely thought about it, but never do. 

@emjohn517 I'm totally with you!! I hate being categorized as a "lazy millennial" (when I'm not even technically a millennial) and I feel like most of those stereotypes are, more often than not, false. I do think there currently is a bit of a culture of immediate satisfaction that can lead to some feelings of entitlement - but that's a discussion for another day. There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of services/technological advances that make life easier. Once the twins are here I FULLY intend to take advantage of online ordering with curbside pick up at the grocery story. NO WAY am I going to try to shop with 2 infants. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emjohn517 totally agree with you and despise being labeled a “lazy millennial.” I am in full support of families doing things that make their lives easier - whether that be Shipt, a cleaning lady, a nanny, whatever. That isn’t lazy, that’s called staying sane! 

I was a server for about 5 years in college and learned so so much about that industry. Best experience and preparation for the “real world” and I would recommend every young adult get experience in the service industry in some way. 

That said. Tipping. I always tip generously when out to eat, in particular if the server is good. Sometimes service isn’t great, but how am I to know if they’re just having a bad/off day, which happens to me at my job on a regular basis? I do also tip on takeout orders, because theres a person in the kitchen who had to put together your entire order and bring it up. Depending on the size of the order, I’ll tip more or less. I tip for services too, hair, waxing, etc. but don’t find it necessary to tip at a coffee place unless I go there all the tip and then leave a dollar or two. I’ve never tipped at a hotel for cleaning services. 

There you have my philosophy on tipping! I have so much to say on this subject DH won’t even bring it up because he knows I’ll go off on a rant about how much it annoys me when people treat servers poorly and/or don’t tip. 
  • Options
    Adding to the tipping discussion- tipping for hair/nails/massage things like that are stressful for me lol. Do I tip a percent? Bc every salon charges different, tip based on time spent? How much I like it or how it looks? Hand a cash tip to them or leave it on their work station? I have no idea why this stresses me out, but I need someone to give me straight forward rules on that  :D
  • Options
    I always have an internal battle wth myself if I’m supposed to tip when I get my eyebrows waxed. I never know what to do :lol:
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @emjohn517 that one is hard! I do it depending on service, like if I get my eyebrows waxed and it takes literally 2 seconds, I’ll just give a few dollars. If it’s an hour long pedicure, I usually do around 20 percent. I tend to tip more though to people who I’ve been going to forever - waxer, hair stylist and nail tech - their price never changes for me so I tip the same every time and trust that they’ll take care of me! 

Those are totally my opinions so I don’t know how helpful it is, but anyway figured i would throw it out there :)

ETA - I try to tip cash when possible, most stylists have to pay a fee to rent their station from the salon and the salon may take a portion of their CC tips so I try to give them cash so I know they get it all. I usually give it to them before I leave or ask the receptionist to give it to them. 
  • Options
    @mockingjay1 kind of random, and I hope you don't mind the question, but have you noticed a difference in 29-30 week babies vs. 32-33 weeks babies regarding their lungs? In my small sampling (8 total) the babies born at the 32/33 week mark have had more breathing issues than ones born at 29/30. Wondering if it's coincidence or some developmental phase interrupted? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @middleschoolmommy - interesting. I've not noticed that, if anything a 32-33 week baby should have, and usually does from what I've seen in the NICU, more mature lungs. A lot of factors go into that (race, sex, if steroids were given, amniotic fluid levels, etc). 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    Adding to the tipping discussion, I had a waxing appointment today and was shocked when I swiped my card and the suggested tip was 20%. I changed it to 10% (which was a little over $10) cause it's a one woman business and I feel like the entire waxing charge goes to her anyways. She is nice and everything but I always give her $10. I'm not ready to start giving her $20. Just way too much.

@lurvleybunchococonuts - can't eat avocados plain? Yikes! I LOVE cutting an avocado in half and putting a little salt and pepper and eating it. So yummy!! My mom likes to put sugar (which I think is a Filipino thing). I'll eat it plain before putting sugar on it.

• Options
    @mockingjay1 I have absolutely no basis for it (I don't work in direct patient care), but I feel the same way about the viability mark. Honestly, I don't think I'll really breathe a sigh of relief until they're here and I can hold them in my arms. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mockingjay1 @smulrich16 Maybe I’m just an anxious person but every time I give myself a milestone to feel “safe” at the target just keeps moving. I’ll probably still feel anxious about this baby (and all my babies) until... I die, I guess? 

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Whenever I tip, I generally do 20%, and I'm actually glad the iPhones, iPads, etc. have the option to just tap 20%, because my math skills, especially when put on the spot, are admittedly hopeless. I'm a pretty good tipper, but things like picking up a to-go order, I usually don't. Unless it's a food truck, coffee shop I particularly like, or something like that. I guess in the one-off situations, I just use my judgement. When I was getting my Brazilian waxes, I always left 20%.

My UO: This is really, super random, but I hate clocks that ding on the hour and half-hour. Nothing like being really into a show at around 10 at night and then suddenly you're interrupted by 10 dings. Both my parents and my in-laws have them. I am not a fan. :D

Edited: @lifesabeach85, I feel the same way. Everything was peachy keen when I was pregnant with DS. The real issues came about when I went into labor, so that's my main concern. The other day, my MIL asked how this pregnancy differed from my first. I said with the first, I was all doe-eyed, oblivious, and naive, and this time, aside from feeling her kick and move around, I'm just ready to get on with it. Now I know how quickly things could go wrong, and I told her I'm so anxious about the actual birth that I just want the whole bit to be over and have her safe in my arms.

Granted, DS's situation was a fluke, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts

2) Onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes are vile raw.  I love all three cooked, but raw = blegh!
    - this is funny because I can do raw mushrooms but I HATE them cooked!  I also hate raw onion and prefer raw tomato over cooked.
    3) Sugar free &/or caffeine free sodas are stupid. 
    - agreed but I do buy caffeine free Coke when I'm pregnant lol
    4) Black licorice and anything anise flavored should burn in the depth of hades.
    - Word

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @bfpafter4years I literally just took a screenshot of this for future reference. Lol! Thanks, girl!
  • Options
    @lachnessmomster No problem!! Glad to help :smile:
  • Options
    @lachnessmomster here is a tip I learned years ago working for in my dad's store (we had to write prices of items over wholesale) and from waitressing. If you have a price. Say $19.99, take the first three numbers, so $1.99, and then double it (I usually round up to double), so $2.00×2= $4.00. There is your 20%. 

It always works! You just need to know how many numbers to look at. For example:

$0.01-$9.99- first two number
    $10.00-$99.99- first three numbers
    $100.00-$999.99- first four numbers
    Etc. 

This is how I’ve been figuring out tips since I was a teenager! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    re:waxing— i assumed waxers and salons had to buy their own supplies and pay for continuing education, so i don’t mind paying them a 20% tip because all that stuff really cuts into their take home pay. if they’re not making enough money to be generous with supplies, i worry about where they might start to cut corners to save.

tipping big business counter service employees? yeah, pass, unless they’re special.
  • Options
    @rosebud1230 YES.  I mean I'm pretty cynical, so it's got to be REALLY funny for me to buy a onesie with a saying on it.  But my personal least-favorites are "Sorry boys, I'm not allowed to date till I'm 30" and anything with "princess" in it.  But again--totally fine if you're all about the princesses.  I just won't dress my kid in it.
    Married: Nov 2010
    TTC #1 since: Aug 2016
    Dx: Unexplained
    6 failed IUIs on Letrazole & Ovidrel
    Final (#7) IUI - BFP!
    EDD: Nov 2018
    Team Pink!
    Me: 31/DH: 30

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Totally agree on the tacky onesies! My MIL is notorious for buying crap like that. Even the “spoiled princess” ones make me eye roll. If I can’t return that kind of thing it usually ends up in a pile in the closet. Not my thing. 
  • Options
    Tipping: I agree! A few months ago we went to pick up a pizza from a local place we love. They don’t deliver, you have to dine in or pick up. So I went inside to pay and get the pizza. Their receipt has a place for tip, but when I pick up take out, I never tip. I don’t feel like it’s necessary or warranted when I’m the one that has to drive there and get the food myself.
    We never tip at Ledo's either (assuming that's the pizza place you're talking about) unless we dine in. 

@rosebud1230 I don't like onesies/kids clothes with those types of sayings either. Yuck!
    @bfpafter4years My husband taught me that tipping trick and I love it so much. It makes it so much easier! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    @bfpafter4years moving the decimal left one place is giving you 10%. From there you can easily find 15% (add an extra half) or multiply by 2 for 20%. This is the easiest way to top for sure. I always think it's funny when people use calculators but I guess I do have a math degree. I forget not everyone are number people
  • Options
    @ftm_jen Numbers stress me out, so I have an English degree. :D
  • Options
    @lachnessmomster you are my opposite! I waited until senior year to take my mandatory english class! Only easy paper I had was my senior theasus which was primarily pages and pages of proofs (formulas). Haha
  • Options
    @ftm_jen @bfpafter4years did say that she doubled the number, near the top of her post. Maybe you missed it! I agree with @lachnessmomster. Numbers stress me out too and I much prefer reading and writing! Haha. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • Options
    @offtoneverland yes I saw the doubling but was just explaining why you do that. Rather than remembering what length a number is just move to decimal one spot for 10% and go from there  :)
  • Options
    @ftm_jen Oooooh, gotcha. I thought you were saying she had been doing it wrong all along! 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4