November 2018 Moms
Options

Freezer Meals

lifesabeach85lifesabeach85 member
edited July 2018 in November 2018 Moms
November is just over three months away! Nobody has time to cook when they have a newborn and we all have to eat, so let’s stock those freezers! 

What are your favorite freezeable meals?

Re: Freezer Meals

• Options
    Im just going to copy and paste my response from the questions thread so I don’t have to type it all again lol. 

Freezer meals! Yes! Im actually planning to start mid to end of August and build my stash little by little. If I’m cooking something for dinner I’ll make a double batch and freeze half or make a couple a week until im stocked. Trying to spread out the work and grocery costs. Here is my list so far- 

breakfast egg muffins and oatmeal muffins to freeze and defrost a few at a time

soups and crock pot freezer gallon bags-
    chicken hoagie mix
    beef sandwich mix
    cabbage soup
    potatoe soup
    broc cheddar soup 
    chili
    white chili 
    lemon garlic chicken 
    ranch pork chops
    sweet and sour chic 
    veg soup 
    stir fry mix 
    sausage and peppers 
    pot roast 
    fajita mix 
    scalloped potatoes and ham 
    beef stew 

dinners/aluminum pans-
    spaghetti 
    lasagna
    alfredo
    chic anc rice
    pot pies
    chic noodle casserole 
    pesto pork 
    shepherds pie
    pizza casserole
    tuscan pasta 
    chic, broc, rice 
    meatloaf 
    enchiladas 

Hopefully all that fits in my freezers lol! But it’ll make cooking with 2 littles much easier. 
  • Options
    iheartbooksiheartbooks member
    edited July 2018
    I do occasional big batches of freezer meals even when not pregnant, so I’m definitely planning to make a batch before this baby. I’ve kept meals for up to three months in my regular freezer and they’ve always been completely fine. My favorite website is newleafwellness.biz - it’s a blogger who has compiled a bunch of freezer meals, mostly crockpot I think, with clear instructions and shopping lists. The best part is that’s unlike many crockpot meals, hers don’t require any pre-cooking of the meat so they truly are thaw and dump into your crockpot type meals. To save freezer space I often only prep and freeze the fresh ingredients like meat and veggies, and then add things like canned tomatoes or broth the morning of cooking. It’s easy enough to open a can and dump I figure, even with a newborn. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @iheartbooks I was just looking at the New Leaf Wellness site yesterday! Glad to hear you’ve made them and they’ve turned out. 
  • Options
    I swore I was going to make all kinds of freezer meals with baby #1, but she came early, so we ate lots of turkey sandwiches and we survived just fine. I'm not even making a plan this time lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ClobertClobert member
    edited July 2018
    We really struggled to feed ourselves with the first and now we have a 3 year old to feed, so I’ll definately doing freezer meals this time around. My other idea is to make some grocery lists in my email drafts so I can send other people to the store or even online to get food for my dd when my brain is too foggy to write out a list.  A lot of people who might come to help can’t really cook.  
    Vegan lactation breakfast muffins and cookies (lots of oats and other good ingredients) 
    Vegan lasagna divided up into meal sizes. 
    3 bean chili (maybe a not spicy version for toddler)
    Pasta with lentil Bolognese
    diy frozen pizzas? (Never done this before)
    vegan paella
    Chickpea cutlets
    Stuffing and mushroom gravy(it’s the holidays!)
    Pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie?

I might not be able to fit much more... another tip is to label well and even make a list if you want other people like partner or relative or friend to be able to help.  

• Options
    This is a good idea. I was basically an invalid after I had my first. But now I have to feed him too so I should probably think ahead. I have a hard time feeding him anyway.....
    I did make some freeze and bake pot pies from buzzfeed tasty recipe the other day. Those were easy enough and delicious. And works well bc you can eat one that night and freeze the rest. I have made spinach lasagne, turkey meatballs, butternut squash soup, and freeze portions for the baby when I can't motivate myself to cook dinner after work.  I do have a pretty significant personal issue that I don't like to eat precooked frozen food! so I just feed the baby this stuff and eat like cereal myself.....
  • Options
    We lived on frozen meals for like 2 months after DD was born. I love to cook, but I didn't have it in me for a while so I was happy to have a stocked freezer.

- Lasagna
    - Mexican Lasagna
    - Chicken broccoli rice casserole
    - Chili
    - Jambalaya
    - Shepherd's pie
    - Meatloaf
    - Chicken pot pie
    - Chicken enchiladas
    - Turkey Meatballs 
    - Chicken Brunswick stew 

thats all all I can think of right now but I’m sure there are others...

• Options
    @lifesabeach85 - thank you so much for starting this thread! Such a great idea!

I've never made freezer meals before and I am determined to have some prepped for when baby comes to make things easier on myself. I thank you Al for you excellent ideas and suggestions! It is so helpful for someone like me with absolutely no experience with freezer meals.

• Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts i love the idea of stockpiling frozen pizzas! 

i’d like to do a freezer stash, but i’m hung up on the procedure. a lot of recipes online do not specify some steps. what things are ok to go in the freezer raw/uncooked and what stuff has to be cooked before freezing? if i wanted to use my own recipes or recipes not specified for freezing: are there certain ingredients that will not freeze well?

i don’t even really remember what we did to get by last time. i know i ate alot of oatmeal packets. also, just a general fyi for life: many donuts freeze exceptionally well.
  • Options
    I really wish that I could stock up on some freezer meals. Had good intentions to do it the first time around, then didn't follow through. This time, the earliest date that we can arrive at our new base is November 10th. I'm due November 18th, so how all this moving/baby madness works out should be pretty interesting. Hopefully my family will drive the four hours from our hometown and feed us if we're able to get all moved before baby. :'(
  • Options
    @highsteaks - very good to know about the donuts!! I will probably tell my sister that she needs to bring me some krispe kreme when she flies over to meet the baby ;) we don't have one on island (it's only on Maui) so it's such a treat when she brings them. 

@lachnessmomster - that is a tight schedule. I hope your family comes through for you!!

• Options
    @kamahina9 omg, now i NEED a krispy kreme donut. 
  • Options
    Re: Donuts

Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    Omg the doughnuts! That’s so funny. Last time I visited my grandpa he had a freezer full of doughnuts, he says he dunks them in his coffee  :D I imagined they’d be hard and dry, but now maybe grandpa knows what’s up! Lol 
  • Options
    @highsteaks That is a 100% logical request, and he better come through with the two dozen!
  • Options
    @highsteaks Girl, you are the real MVP. I know someone here is going to benefit greatly from this information! :D
  • Options
    Wow! Such a great deal! Please eat one (or two) for me. It sounds so yummy!!

• Options
    Just sent this to MH, who has a KK on his way home from work....and now we wait....