December 2018 Moms
Options

FTM Check-in • 7/24

How far along are you? How large is that baby?

Any appointment updates?  

Rants/Raves/Questions/Dear Diary? 

GTKY: What do you think is worth spending more on to get the best?
NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
Anniversary

Re: FTM Check-in • 7/24

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @hkom glad you'll be getting weekly appointments, I'm sure that will help ease your mind.  How wonderful that your husband is able to be so solid and positive for you!  And I agree about the shoes! Definitely need good, supportive shoes if you're on your feet all day.  I AM willing to pay more for that. 
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    @scaredunprepared Yes on anything involving physical safety!  It's not worth the risk to cheap out.  Peace of mind is worth a lot to me. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @scaredunprepared wow- dizziness is a scary symptom.. definitely hope it gets better soon! 

@hkom yay for your h! Glad he is a great partner for you with all this. Also major agree with the shoe spending, especially on snow boots;they can totally transform your enjoyment of winter! 

19+5 and huuuuuuuge! I can no longer trust the bump (bowl of cereal) because my a/s today showed the baby was measuring way ahead. 

Any appointment updates?  
    A/s today was pretty good, missed a few measurements (they were probably longer than average) but will grab them on Aug 14 at our fetal echo. 

Minor rant about my mom. I am very conscious about not talking about my (or others') weight or body. I don't know how much I weigh or how much I've gained this pregnancy. After I told my mom that the baby was measuring big, her response was "how is your weight? Start watching your carbs". She was getting at the possibility of GD, but the way she went about it rubbed me so wrong. I had already told her the Dr said my weight gain was good and was not worried about the baby being big.  I just wish she would have said "did your Dr mention gd to you?" Instead of making it about my body/restriction. Ugh. Sorry this turned into a total dear diary/long rant, I just don't want to spend this pregnancy obsessing about my weight or passing along my family's seriously disordered eating habits. 

vacation! Vacation is not the time to be cheap- do what you want. If i choose to go on vacation, I don't want to spend it worried about money! 
  • Options
    @echo-charlietango yay for your project being done and your doggies chilling out! Also, totes think you're right on meats. I'm veggie, but H will eat meat sometimes (mostly during grilling season) and he is super commited to going to the local butcher which i appreciate. I mostly eat vegetarian for environmental reasons, and truly dgaf if other people eat meat, but it's nice when you know where it's from, what it's about. 
  • Options
    @scaredunprepared -- Sorry about the dizziness.  Could it be a low blood pressure thing? 

@hkom Three cheers for your husband.  I'm glad you have support.

@morgantu I don't see why people think it's acceptable to comment about weight gain during pregnancy.  Even moms.

20 + 5, almost an endive.  That seems crazy big.  I've been feeling some pretty strong movements lately (and my husband has felt them too) so I believe it.

Any appointment updates? 
    No appointments until August 24. A/S went well last week.

I'm on vacation with my family at the Jersey Shore!  It's raining today, so we likely will hang out at the house rather than go to the beach.  It is nice to have a break from work and hang out with family.  I also mentioned this on the weekly due date check in, but my SIL is getting induced today!

I'm generally pretty frugal and do not spend money freely.  I am all about cheap flights.  I do agree with the spending more on shoes to some extent since my feet are messed up and cheap shoes do not help, but I still look for the best possible deals on nicer shoes.  I also am willing to spend more on food a lot of the time like echo, but not meat since I don't eat it.  I'll usually buy expensive cage free happy hen eggs to make myself feel better about it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hkom what a great team you make! Pregnancy should be something that brings you closer together, because you should be each other's support with all the emotions and worries. It sounds like you guys are in a great spot.

@morgantu sorry about your mom's reaction. Mine is sort of similar, so I can relate. My mom, sister and I have been struggling with weight for a long time (and by struggling I mean: my sister is obsessed but looks fantastic, my mom is a little overweight and always has been and I take after my mom, so she naturally "worries" a little too much). I am starting to get to the point where I think I need to watch what I say around her, because every comment about the pregnancy (weight related or otherwise) turns into something to worry about. I think it's just because "her baby is having a baby" but it's tough to not be able to tell my mom everything because I don't want to hear her reaction. As I am typing this, I think I need to talk to my mom about it, since I am sure she would like to be supportive and just doesn't realize how she is making me feel.

@echo-charlietango I have to disagree on the flats. I am team heels and I just cannot justify spending that kind of money on flats! I splurged on some comfy flats for this pregnancy because I know my feet will probably swell up later and I need something "stretchy" but it still kills me to think they cost $60 :( That could have been a very lovely pair of heels :(

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    @echo-charlietango @morgantu @kadeephd +1 on spending more on good meat and eggs.  It's better for everyone/everything and it tastes better too.  We don't eat a ton of it anyway though, so it helps with the sticker shock.  We usually do a good job, but definitely do get lazy/careless sometimes.  

@echo-charlietango What flats do you buy?  I have terrible feet and have never been able to find a pair of flats that are truly comfortable for me.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @kadeephd Happy vacation!!

@ab_canada I’m 50/50 about spending on heels. I just wear them so rarely that I have a hard time justifying them - but if I wear them so infrequently why should I suffer? Some friends have tried to make be buy some Louboutins, but I happen to be happy in Steve Madden pumps :lol:

@hkom I buy Tieks :grimace: They are the only comfortable, leather, non-super-branded flats I can find. The plain colored ones take a while to break in, but when it’s done they fit like gloves and are amazing. My most recent favorite pair are the leopard print - the leather was more pliable right away around my toes. I wear these mofos daily.

Anniversary
  • Options
    @echo-charlietango Your rasher of bacon comment made my snort! Lol! And yey for your AS coming next week! Almost there!

@kadeephd Have fun on your vacation! And GL to your SIL with her induction - new baby pics soon!!

@ab_canada I agree you should definitely talk to your mom about how you're feeling. It really could be that she just doesn't realize how she's coming off to you. It doesn't sound like she means any of it to be hurtful or to put you in a panic. Hopefully things will calm down! And I am def one of those people who says heels are uncomfortable! I've never liked wearing them, but I have huge feet and, TBH, I've never tried on a nice pair. Maybe after this pregnancy I will have to give them another chance!

21 weeks 4 days! Baby is about 10.5" long and weighs about 12 oz. Can't believe he's almost a foot and a pound!!

Any appointment updates?  
    Next appointment is next Friday, so still over a week to go.

Nothing this week.

I have to agree with shoes. My parents have always gone with off-brand, cheap shoes and they wonder why their feet hurt and the shoes are ruined in like 6 months. As soon as I got a job I started buying my own shoes and my feet are so thankful!
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 33, DH: 41
    Started IF Feb. 2014
    PCOS & MFI (low sperm count and motility)
    3 Femara cycles w/natural intercourse over summer 2014, BFN
    1 Clomid cycle w/natural intercourse Nov. 2014, BFN
    IUI March 2015, BFN
    IUI June 2015, BFN
    IUI Oct. 2015, BFN
    IVF Oct. 2016, fresh transfer, 2 day-3 embryos, BFN; nothing to freeze
    IVF Nov. 2017, fresh transfer, 2 day-5 blasts, BFP; ectopic; 1 blast frozen
    FET March 2018, 1 day-5 blast, BFP!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @futuremrshp Speaking of winter coats, any one know what they're going to do about winter coats this November/December? Buy a maternity coat? (Where does one buy a maternity coat? hahaha) Buy a larger regular coat? I just have no clue, and it seems like a maternity coat for one season might not be worth it... but it's unlikely someone would be handing down something like that. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    @omnommer I'm due Dec 4 (although I'm expecting to go early) and I'm just going to make do with my regular coats.  It typically isn't super cold here in November, but even if it's a little bit below freezing I figure I'll be fine with layers/sweaters and an unbuttoned coat.  I can't imagine what I would be doing at that point in the pregnancy that would require me to be outside long enough to have to bundle up and button my coat.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    mag1cbeli3vermag1cbeli3ver member
    edited July 2018
    @omnommer I'm not planning on getting anything special winter coat-wise. It usually doesn't get too cold here til January or February anyway. If I have to I'll just wear lots of layers under my current coat without zipping until it fits again. FX that will get me through!

I want to add tattoos to the list of things that I'd pay more for. I got my first tattoo when I was 19 and it was a rush job and doesn't look good. For my second I def did some research and found a great artist who charged more, but it was well worth it for the quality!

*Edited bc autocorrect on my phone is ridiculous :angry:
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 33, DH: 41
    Started IF Feb. 2014
    PCOS & MFI (low sperm count and motility)
    3 Femara cycles w/natural intercourse over summer 2014, BFN
    1 Clomid cycle w/natural intercourse Nov. 2014, BFN
    IUI March 2015, BFN
    IUI June 2015, BFN
    IUI Oct. 2015, BFN
    IVF Oct. 2016, fresh transfer, 2 day-3 embryos, BFN; nothing to freeze
    IVF Nov. 2017, fresh transfer, 2 day-5 blasts, BFP; ectopic; 1 blast frozen
    FET March 2018, 1 day-5 blast, BFP!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Re: winter coats
    I also will be avoiding buying maternity coats - unless I find one I like at a thrift store. Luckily Alabama shouldn’t get Kansas-cold in the winter, so I should be good in layers too. 

@mag1cbeli3ver Good point on quality tattoos! My lowest-price piece is certainly the worst, but hey, it was kind of an impulse buy :lol:

Anniversary
  • Options
    Re: winter coats. Good thoughts everyone! It doesn't get super cold in the PNW, but I do like winter walks and hiking. So I might have to find something zip-able if I want to continue that before or after birth. But maybe not maternity... I just feel like that's going to be super expensive.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Wow I have a lot of catching up to do!  This thread exploded!  

Thanks everyone, feeling much better today.  Every once in a while I have an off day where I just feel icky. I'll take it though, since i didn't have MS!  I doubt it's dehydration because I'm always sure to drink lots of water since my thyroid medicine can cause dehydration. I did increase my water intake just in case. I think it might be blood pressure-related, as it seems to be worse every time I changed position. Whatever it was, I'm glad that today is better! 

@kadeephd yay for the Jersey shore! Grew up vacationing with family there almost every summer!

Those of you with weight concerns especially relating to family members making comments: definitely feel you.  Every time I talk to my mom and tell her how I'm feeling on and off day, she turns it around on me and makes it about my eating habits.  I know I'm not eating perfectly, but I really am trying to eat well.
  • Options
    I'm also planning to avoid buying a winter coat.  I'm due Dec 7 and live in DC. I'll just layer up and wear my coat open if it gets cold.

@scaredunprepared glad you are feeling better!  And I've been coming to the Jersey shore every summer since I was 3 :).  It's much nicer than the tv show reveals, I think, though I haven't seen the show.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @morgantu I don't think it's anyone's business when it comes to weight, even your mom. I'm with you though on not being about to trust the bump on how big the baby is since mine was measuring ahead as well. 

@ab_canada I feel bad for your DH, lol. I can only imagine how nervous he was not being about to hear everything going on. Anyway, props to you for being able to wear high heels (and not just because of the pregnancy). I have never been and to get into wearing heels. Tried once for a wedding and that was a big mistake, lol. Then again, I've been on the taller side at 5'10", so I never felt like I needed the extra height. 

On the topic of winter coats, I don't plan on buying a new one, because of what someone had already pointed out about it not being that cold just yet when the baby is due. Then again, you never know with Missouri weather  :D . I am a little nervous though when it comes to work, since my job spends a good chunk outside. I guess layers will be my friend. 

I'm 20+4. About as tall as a microphone

Any appointment updates?  
    Nope, not at the moment. Two more weeks until my next one

Don't have much really. Have definitely been able to feel her move more often. It's nice, but I wish it would be more movement on my sides rather than my lower abdomen (I swear it's getting close to my bladder every time). I have been waiting for her to move so it will give my husband a chance to feel it.

I'm going to agree with shoes. Last two times I've bought shoes, they were more than I have ever spent on a pair. But they have been worth it, especially with it comes to be having to be on my feet for a longer period of time. 
  • Options
    How far along are you? How big is baby?
    I'm 21+3. Baby is the size of...umm...something today. I'm clearly not feeling being pregnant today lol.

Any appointment updates?
    My anatomy scan is finally coming up on Monday. I feel like I've been waiting for ages. My friend who is due 3 days before me had hers at 18 weeks so waiting until 22 weeks has been hard.

Don't eat Mexican food at work. The pregnancy gas is baaaaadddd. I want to sleep on my back. I want to feel less full all the time. I want to meet this little stinker in my belly who keeps dancing around. Today, I'm being very whiny.

GTKY: What do you think is worth spending more money on?
    I would definitely agree with a good winter coat. It's worth it and it will last much longer if you fork up a little extra money. I'd also say a few nice pieces of jewelry and clothing. You don't need to make your entire wardrobe fancy, but a nice LBD or set of stud earrings goes a long way (and makes you feel good).
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    20 weeks exactly baby is apparently 15cm from head to bum

Any appointment updates?  
    A/S was yesterday found out im getting my little girl!!!! so beyond excited and have a very happy DH i have a follow up anatomy on the 9th  of August as she did not want to cooperate and turn over so we could see her face 

Cravings are kicking in bad i only want bad food ugh be strong

For me Shoes DH goes through them like crazy so id rather pay more for better quality so they dont get worn out so fast and also my stroller/ capsule i wanted a decent one as i will probably be visiting alot of people and i dont drive
  • Options
    I agree on most of the splurges. I’m willing to pay more for quality shoes and coats. We also pay more for free range eggs, grass-fed beef when we have it, and specific organic fruits & veggies. For vacations I am thrifty within reason, with targeted splurges where it counts.

@ab_canada more power to you on the heels. I hava a good collections of heels & flats. I was sorry to find my feet miserable after 30 minutes in heels the other morning. I think it was around this point last pregnancy where I had to give up heels mostly except s couple pairs of wedges.  
  • Options
    @ab_canada I wish I could do heels comfortably.  Maybe if I bought a very expensive pair I could, but I'm not willing to make that investment.  I do agree that they look nice!

@donnawick Congrats on your little girl!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Katzalia

To be fair, I don't think I have much time left to wear my heels - however I might bring my little itty bitty heels to work next week and see how that goes. My grandma wore heels (small ones) until the day she died, so I can do it through pregnancy!  :D

• Options
    @kadeephd thank you!! I'm still buzzing hoping the months just fly by now