January 2019 Moms

FTM Check In w/o 7/24

How are all the first time moms feeling?  What things are you worried about this week?  Excited about?  Anything new?

Re: FTM Check In w/o 7/24

• I just can’t get over how different my body feels. I finally stopped feeling nauseous 24/7, but I feel like I don’t feel like me still. There’s random aches and pains, discomfort when I sit or lie down certain ways, and some definite bump starting to show. I guess I knew that would be expected in a way, but it’s still really strange to feel like my body isn’t all mine in a way...  I don’t know why I feel so surprised by this haha. Anyone else?
  • +1 on not feeling like myself physically @mrsmang I didn't get hit with bad nausea, but was absolutely steamrolled by fatigue and it's definitely not helping that I haven't been able to keep up my (already limited) exercise regimen. So now in addition to awkward belly stage - not flat, but not yet a defined bump - I'm also losing tone/strength elsewhere. Excited for this second tri energy so I can at least regain control over the other parts and enjoy the belly guilt-free! 

Worried but also super excited about a FB announcement. We're planning on posting this weekend once we take our announcement pic. Excited because I'm sure everyone will be so supportive, but nervous because my PGAL brain says it's never guaranteed. Just have to keep reminding myself that I'm as in the clear as it gets and it's time to focus on planning/celebrating instead of taking it one nervous day at a time. 

I'm such a control freak, and am already learning so much from this little girl! Just have to let go and do the best I can. I'm sure the lessons will only keep coming from here...
  • Loading the player...
  • Same here about not feeling like myself. I’m usually super pumped for back to school season, but I’m still getting super tired in the afternoons and I can’t move furniture and pitch in to help other teachers like usual. 

I’m also really anxious to feel the baby move. I know first pregnancies tend to not feel it until at least 18 weeks, but my PGAL brain is dying for some tangible reassurance that she’s in there. Ultrasounds are great, but it still doesn’t feel completely real. 
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • +1 @DLpanda08. My PGAL brain will not let go and it does not feel real -- I have confessed to my DH a few times that I feel like an impostor, that I've gone crazy and just think I'm pregnant because I've wanted it so badly (this is my 4th pg, first take home baby, FX). I had a hard time buying maternity clothes (but it was a necessary step if I was ever going to leave the house). I'm just so so ready to feel some baby signs rather than like I have a disease or something :) 

Andrea -- FTM at 39!

• @wkuandrea I've felt that way.  I think I might have a bump,  but sometimes I just wonder if it's because I'm making myself think that.  I get jealous of the stms bumps because there isn't really denying something is there.  Or i'll think I feel movement,  but again... am I just wishing it to be? 

I totally get it.  I understand what your saying. 
  • I definitely have a bump but I'm not sure how much of it is baby and how much is me! lol. I've always carried weight in my belly so I sometimes feel like I don't look that much different, but then I try to put on some pre-pregnancy jeans and I'm reminded that my belly is definitely getting bigger. 

I'm stressing about registering, of all things. We set up an appointment to at least start our registry this weekend. (It feels kind of early but I wanted to get most of it taken care of before school starts up again.) I'm realizing that I have no idea what I really need for a baby. There's so much stuff available and I have no idea what's actually useful and what's a waste of money that will just clutter up our house. Also, I really want to stay team green (DH wants to find out) but it's so hard to find gender neutral things.
    I'm also starting to freak out because I'm realizing I have no idea what to do with a baby, lol. We did sign up for the birthing, baby care, and breastfeeding classes our hospital offers so I'm sure I'll feel better after those, but I start to freak out a little when I think about the fact we will have an actual baby in 5.5 months.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm with you all on this not feeling real. And I'm honestly finding it a lot harder than I expected to come to terms with the weight gain than I expected. I feel gigantic in pretty much everything I put on and I'm hoping to get a little confidence back once it actually looks like a bump and not just a bloated belly.

That being said, I went to the doctor's yesterday and have definitely put on more weight than I should at this stage.  So far my pregnancy is very similar to my sister's last one and she put on nearly all of her weight in the first and early second trimester but then evened out so I'm really hoping mine is the same!
  • I’ve had a few moments in the last week or so (I’m 16 weeks today) where I feel like maybe I’m feeling baby move?  But I really have no idea what that feels like so I keep telling myself it’s probably not. I can’t wait until I know for sure that’s what I’m feeling!!
  • Same here @mrsmang. I have felt something, but it’s not consistent and it could very easily just be gas. I wish there was a way to know for sure!
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • KLS123KLS123 member
    @Ghostie625 have you checked out Lucie's List for registering? It breaks down baby gear into really helpful categories with recommendations. It was recommended on a prior thread somewhere I spent hours reading through it and it was time well spent.

@kaf1788 I agree, coming to terms with weight gain as a "positive/necessary" thing has proven to be hard for me as well. Throughout my teens/early twenties I would on again off again compulsively count calories and obsessively weight myself and two years ago I decided to stop weighing myself all together and focus on eating whole/real foods. Needless to say being forced to weight myself weekly and seeing the number on the scale go up is somewhat triggering. I just keep focusing on the fact that it means the baby is growing and that has curbed any major mental missteps so far.

@DLpanda08 @mrsmang I have been really crampy lately and keeping thinking *maybe* it's feeling the baby move but after reading other peoples descriptions of what movement feels like I'm pretty sure it's just wishful thinking on my part.
  • Maybe this will help out some of you ladies in visualizing what's where.

I've started to feel baby kind of regularly (17 weeks today). It started out like feeling a bunch of bubbles low in my stomach, and now if I lie on my stomach, I get some solid bops. I discovered this when I was pancaked on top of my husband (all PG - I just pancake him sometimes and he lets me do it without complaint) and I thought the bopping was a certain appendage being flexed... But it turned out that I was nowhere near that area, and it was just baby having a party. The kid is a spaz.
    I think the main difference between the baby flutters and gas feelings is the series of flutters in one area. It's hard to explain. It's not like a gas bubble that is very distinct and disperses; it's tiny little bubbles moving quickly within a small area.

Anyway. Onto the post.
    I feel mostly "normal" except for huge sore boobs, wearing belly bands over my pants, and baby bops. I bought a u-shaped pregnancy pillow from Amazon that has put me from tossing and turning to passing right out at night, which is helping tremendously with the not feeling like crap effort. The most stress I'm feeling is that I've been hiding the pregnancy at work, because I work in IT with all men and didn't want to be treated differently or like an outcast. But... Word is getting out (I had to inform my manager of what's what so that I wouldn't have to balance on ladders when I had bad morning sickness and dizziness), and it seems that word is getting around. 
    Getting excited about the 20 week ultrasound, but also a little nervous. I think a lot of women get paranoid before an ultrasound, like something bizarre will be revealed. Haha.
  • @kaf1788 I feel the same way,  im panicked about weight gain. I've never weighed this much in my life and it bothers me on a daily basis, I guess im also surprised how much I'm having trouble with it. It doesn't help that things don't feel real end most people I see day to day don't know im pregnant.  Hopefully these things will change in the next 2 weeks.