March 2019 Moms

GTKY - What are you reading?

2»

Re: GTKY - What are you reading?

• @mamaoftwomonkeys we were also unplanned cosleepers and transitioned around 16 months. Good luck!! 
  • +1 vote for the hatch baby wait to wake thing. We love it and it has the added bonus of replacing the low quality sound machine we had before. 

I loved Big Little Lies and What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty. What Alice Forgot was especially good and stuck with me for awhile - I will say TW on that one though. Currently trying to get thru Truly Madly Deeply by her but it’s not as captivating as the other two I read, The Husbands Secret is next after this one. I also recently read The Song of Achilles and Circe by Madeline Miller, both were really good “historical fiction” (I guess that depends on if you view myths as history or fiction lol - maybe just be fiction). 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Loading the player...
  • I really liked Big Little Lies, too.  Have we all seen the show?  If you have, thoughts on how in the world they're going to make a second season?
  • @dtspmama I've seen the show, but not read the book. I would guess that the show would go more into the police investigation of the murder and how the women try to cover it up and keep each of themselves from suspicion.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I tried to watch it but *right* after I read it and I couldn’t deal with the differences. I plan to revisit it at some point, probably this summer since there’s nothing else to watch! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Another librarian friend and I actually run a book blog, so I read A LOT. Kind of worried about how to keep up with that in future months! I also read a lot of YA fiction, and then generally a lot of fantasy/sci-fi and historical/mystery books. Currently, I'm reading "Age of Myth" by Michael J. Sullivan and "Deathless" by Catherynne Valente.
  • Just finished the Handmaid's Tale. Currently reading House on Fire: The Fight to Eradicate Smallpox. Assigned reading for my doctorate program. But still super interesting. 
  • @auburnvelvet86 would you mind sharing he link? I’m a fan of YA and love to get input before starting new reads. 
  • @maserrano714 Doctorate program! Impressive! I keep bouncing back and forth wondering if I should get mine but at this point I can’t imagine adding more stress (financially and emotionally) to my life. Plus, in my profession it doesn’t particularly help to have it. But I always loved learning!
  • @myjessesgirl I love learning as well & when I wasn't in a program, I would just take a class at my local community college. It was great to take a class with no pressure.  I'm in my program now because in my field you need a doctorate. I don't look forward to the stress from full time work & full time school & first pregnancy but I'll make it work, somehow.
  • @maserrano714 I had my daughter in th middle of the 5th year of my PhD, working full time in the lab. It actually ended up being pretty good timing, and I defended when she was almost a year old.

You got this girl!  
  • My oldest is 7 and we recently picked up a book series called The Green Ember...I kind of, accidentally, read the next two books because I didn’t want to stop  :# 

Otherwise im between books. A new Anita Blake is coming out in a week or two. So I wil likely devour that in a night or two.
  • @maggiemadeit thanks for the kind words. Its nice to know other moms have made it work while working & going to school. Really appreciate.
  • Reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...for the millionth time. 
  • I'm currently reading "The Female Persuasion," which is getting me more interested in feminist literature.  Next I plan to re-ready "The Feminine Mystique," which I ready back in high school but I have a few more years of experience now :-)  
    For Audio books, which I listen to on my way to and from work, I am listening to a series of lectures on the history of China, and a book about 101 Mistakes that changed history.
    Me: 35 DH: 39
    Married: 10/11/15
    Baby girl Addie born 10/12/16 <3:)<3

• reading the clan of the cave bear