November 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Blankets (week of 7/10)

The topic of this week's spotlight series is blankets!

S+TMs, what types of blankets did you/your LO(s) love? Were there any blankets they didn't like?

FTMs, do you have any questions about blankets? Anything you want to know? 

-----

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, click this link.

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

*TW*
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD1: 8/2014  <3
TTC #2: 6/2017
BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
DD2: 10/2018  <3

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Blankets (week of 7/10)

• TBH I kind of question these product spotlights every time I post them, but I'm sticking with the schedule until someone tells me to stop.  :D Can we really devote a whole thread to blankets? I guess we'll see!

I did not like the aden + anais blankets. I posted that elsewhere but can't remember where. They were impossible to swaddle in.

Our favorite blankets were the packs of Carter's brand receiving blankets. It seems a lot of people complain about getting too many receiving blankets at their shower, but I loved having them and we used them all the time. DD still takes them to school with her for nap time. We also re-purposed them as burp cloths for emergency spit ups. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • I loved the Aiden and Anais ones, but my girls weren't down with being swaddled. They both favored the soft fluffy types of blankets with the satin edges. DD2 especially loves her blanket that had the little bumps on it since she's pretty tactile. DD1 wasn't as fond of textures as an infant, so it really depends on the kiddo.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1756352803831633408?lsf=seller:6382239,store:7327437732997952466&prds=oid:10781600934390293510&q=textured+dot+baby+blankets&hl=en-US&ei=1mxFW96eD8yb_QbKiLrQAw&lsft=ci_mcc:ci,utm_campaign:LIA_Bed+&lsft=gclid:CjwKCAjwspHaBRBFEiwA0eM3kdYXd5yX5K3GvisUbBEXGlPCwqZIAln3wa8flc1y_8nXlIb1Ev01aRoCL6EQAvD_BwE
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually didn’t like any swaddle blankets for swaddling...just the Velcro swaddler things or sleep sack/swaddles. 

But I do love A+A blankets! The muslin ones absorb a lot of spit up and I love them for laying the floor, etc. The bamboo ones are super soft and light weight, and what we’d use in the stroller, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Like @runningyogimama mentioned, we had a hard time with the actual swaddle blankets so stuck to the velcro swaddlers. But we loved the A&A blankets for a lot of other uses (playtime, stroller/carseat cover, put over the table at pediatrician... 'cause germs). My 3 yo still sleeps with them through the Summer. We used the receiving blankets for bathtime (since he didn't like being cold so we covered him with the warm cloth) and burp cloths. Also technically not a blanket, but the carters burp cloths pack were great when he was older and had less spit up (more dribbles). They're so soft that we used them for the drooly days and still for runny noses to wipe! 
    *Signature TW*

TTC#1 October 2014

BFP: November 2014, DS born via c-section July 2015 

TTC#2 December 2016

BFP: 12/23/16- No heartbeat at 8 weeks, D&C 01/30/17 

BFP: 03/11/17- Chemical 03/15/2017

BFP: 04/17/17- Chemical 04/22/2017 

05-10/2017 - RPL Testing/Septum Resection Surgery

11/2017-03/2018 3 Natural cycles / 2 TIC w/ trigger shot 

BFP: 03/29/18, Rainbow Baby Boy Due late November/ early December 2018  <3

• Yeah the most important thing about blankets is to decide where to store them all because you’ll get a ton. 

I thought the Adain and Anais were very useful. They do make great spit rags, plus they are light and portable and can fit in a diaper bag easily. They were also really useful as a sun shade for the travel system stroller walks. The chico key fit car seat doesn’t have a great sun visor so I would use the light and breathable muslin blankets as a supplement to keep the sun off baby. 

If we are also talking swaddles we used the Summer Infant velcro ones. Much less annoying than refolding in the MOTN

• Wearable blankets /sleep sacks were the best. I didn't really swaddle ds, I stuck him in a peapod sleep sack. He loved them. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Sleep sacks are awesome, fleece for winter, cotton/Muslim sacks for warmer weather. In fact we were still using them this past winter for my 2.5 yo since she knew not to climb with it on and it was still safe.

Her lovey, blanket is fleece, but we didn’t give that to her until over 18mo, closer to 2. It’s small, like 2ft by 2ft, super soft. She feel in love so hard o had to track down a second one on eBay for when the first was in the laundry lol. 
  • Like @josie1218, I loved the thin muslin blankets. Ds hated being swaddled, even when he first came out of the womb, that stubborn kid undid the swaddle after the nurse buddled him up. We used the muslin blankets as a carseat cover when we were out and about. This way, no one could touch him and even if he was awake, the blanket was thin enough he could still see me. Ds is basically a furnace, so they were perfect for naps, and as a light covering when it was bright outside. I kept one in the car, in the diaper bag, and in the living room. 
  • I loved the A&A blankets.  We swaddled almost exclusively with them and once we got the hang of it, it was really easy.  I also used them as a nursing cover if I was somewhere I didn't feel comfortable nursing uncovered, just tuck the end around your bra strap and toss over the baby.  DD likes to have her toys swaddled in them now so they're still used frequently 2 years later.  Otherwise, we'll get a few fleecy blankets this time around for the car/stroller that we didn't get for DD because she was a summer baby but I didn't find more blankets than that useful.  
  • When we swaddle we love tula baby blankets. Plus the prints are super cute. They are bamboo so buttery soft, but they also snag easily. 

But over all our favorite blankets are Carter’s. Soft on side, fuzzy on the other. We have all hardwood floors so I like thicker blankets since most rugs are pretty thin themselves.
    nws
  • I love muslin swaddle blankets! My favorite brands are A&A and Little Unicorn - they have the best prints. I do like the Tula blankets as well and recommend a mix of both. When baby is a little older, I love the multi layer muslin quilts from AA and Little Unicorn. They're all my sons use in their cribs. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bkosybkosy member
    I love the thin muslin blankets. I enjoyed using them as a nursing cover while out. It was light enough that the babies didn't mind being covered by them