November 2018 Moms

Thursday and Friday Ticker Change (7/5-7/6)

This is for those of us with a Thursday due date of: 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/22, & 11/29
OR
a Friday due date of: 11/2, 11/9, 11/16, 11/23, & 11/30

1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby?

2. How are you feeling?

3. Any appointments this week?

4. Rants/raves/questions?

5. GTKY: What was your first job? Favorite job? Least favorite job?

Re: Thursday and Friday Ticker Change (7/5-7/6)

• MojieJoMojieJo member
    edited July 2018

21 weeks tomorrow.  Endive.

2. How are you feeling?

Feeling good, aside from the persistent itchy arm I've been dealing with for weeks now.

Nope.

I'm so glad my anatomy scan went well and now I can (mostly) relax and look forward to meeting this little guy.

First job was actually two jobs at once (M-F doing data entry for a major restaurant equipment supplier) and weekends working as the head referee/air table at a paintball field.

Data entry was boring (I type fast and was always running out of actual work to do, so there was a lot of busy work) but easy money. 

The paintball field, though...I both loved and hated that job.  It would have been fun except for the owner of the field being a complete ass who for some reason hates me and goes out of his way to be unfair to me (even to this day on the rare occasion I see him).  I got paid next to nothing (under $5/hour under the table and had to work in the sweltering heat and freezing cold with no shelter or breaks, but I had a great time other than the asshole owner.

The best part is he loves my husband (who also worked there for a while) and thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread.  The difference in how he treats us is night and day.

Favorite job is probably working summer school with the alternative school kids from the place I did my Master's degree internship at.  Up until the last few years (from the time I got pregnant the first time), I worked every summer and loved it.

Least favorite was working as a therapist for a company that does ABA therapy with autistic children.  The job itself was rewarding, if frustrating, but I had the supervisor from hell.  It all went down in flames after I got kicked in the face by a very large, very aggressive 8-year-old, which led to a root canal (which I paid for myself, out of pocket, and nearly got fired for having to have done on an emergency basis before rushing back to work) and a quick slide into a very hostile working environment that I should have left sooner than I did.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby? 20w, bananas
    2. How are you feeling? tired and ready to be home (we’re traveling), but otherwise great. no pregnancy complaints to report.
    3. Any appointments this week? nope
    4. Rants/raves/questions? i was at a retirement community with close to 70+ older people at a birthday party for dh’s grandma, and not a single person said anything eye roll worthy about me being pregnant or tried to rub my stomach. win!
    5. GTKY: What was your first job? Favorite job? Least favorite job? my first official job was sales at hallmark gold crown store. favorite is tied- used to be a prekindergarten and preschool teacher, and it was hard but i adored the kids; other favorite was sales at a harry and david retail store. i got to try all the yummy food and customers were always so happy and cheerful to be in there. least favorite was working at a call center for a large luxury apartment group where i had to collect past due bills or let tenants know they were going to be evicted (i was basically yelled at all day long over the phone).
  • Loading the player...
  • @MojieJo i hate how a terrible boss ruins an otherwise ok work environment. i’m shocked you had to pay for the root canal yourself, and that your boss had the audacity to give you flack for trying to get help for it right away. 
  • MojieJoMojieJo member
    edited July 2018
    @highsteaks It was ridiculous.  Train wreck doesn't begin to describe it.  The kid's mom tried to get me fired, too, as the icing on the cake.

What actually happened was that he had a severe seizure disorder (so bad he had to wear a helmet at all times) and poor coordination, but his parents decided it was a good idea to get him a bunk bed (we did therapy in the clients' homes for their comfort).  He decided he didn't want to do therapy that day and climbed on his dresser and was climbing onto the top bunk. 

I had to intervene to try to keep him from getting hurt (parents weren't around in spite of that being part of his therapy agreement) and tried to calmly talk him down.  Didn't touch him because he was hyper-sensitive to touch, just held my hands up in case he fell backwards while telling him I wasn't going to put my hands on him.  Well, he decided he wasn't cool with that and kicked backwards and landed his foot right in my mouth hard enough to snap my head back.  He was wearing shoes, too, due to balance issues that prevented him from being stable on his feet, so it was a good, solid kick.

His mom was very apologetic when it happened, but within a couple of hours decided she wanted me fired for provoking him and causing him emotional trauma.

I guess she would have preferred I just let him do something wildly dangerous and just stood by idly, IDK.  I couldn't have been any more sensitive to or cautious of his triggers while still trying to do something to protect him.

So I had to have an emergency root canal, which my work refused to have anything to do with, and then my supervisor tried to fire me for being slightly late to my next appointment (because I was having a root canal and couldn't just get up out of the chair and finish the damn thing later) and "not speaking clearly" during that session, which she had suddenly decided to do an unannounced audit/observation on.  Nevermind that my mouth was numb and swollen and I couldn't have spoken more clearly if my life had depended on it.

Looking back on it, I should have taken some sort of legal action for various reasons (that was only the tip of the iceberg), but was too non-confrontational to do anything about it.  I regret that now, obviously, but at the time I was just happy to put that whole fiasco behind me.

• @MojieJo that’s so beyond ridiculous. i’m angry at everyone you wrote about (except for the boy obviously because it’s not something he had real control over).
  • MojieJoMojieJo member
    edited July 2018
    @highsteaks That's exactly how I felt.  When his mom was apologizing, I told her that I didn't blame him in any way.

It was the perfect storm of bad circumstances that led to it happening, not maliciousness on the kid's part.

• @MojieJo I’m SO angry for you over that entire story!!! I’m a work comp adjuster, and that situation is seriously making me so mad, and so sad for you! That’s so not okay. 

23 weeks - grapefruit? That seems weird and not accurate? 
    2. How are you feeling?
    Exhausted, starving (like first tri, have to eat or feel like I’m going to pass our starving), and so sore all over.
    Nope. 
    Just that I’m over being pregnant. 
    1st job - at an amusement park in the summers while in high school. It was a lot of fun.
    Least favorite - I had one particularly bad job in retail management a few years ago, where the manager was literally a bully and treated everyone like shit/belittled everyone. She was just mean and horrible — a narcissistic at the least, maybe a sociopath. I helped everyon who I could find jobs elsewhere before I left. 
    Favorite - TBA, heh. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• @runningyogimama I just wish I'd stood up for myself at the time.  It was horrible in every way, but I didn't know what to do and no one told me there was anything I could have done about the situation until a lot later.  Everybody I talked to just said "well, that sucks" and that was that. :confused:

It really left a bad taste in my mouth.  I haven't worked in the ABA field since.  It's a shame because I enjoyed the work and there are a lot of job opportunities in that field around here.

• 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby?
    20 weeks - bananas

2. How are you feeling?
    I'm definitely starting to feel more limitations. We went up to Chicago on Wednesday to watch the Cubs vs Tigers game and my body definitely punished me yesterday for being out in the heat, walking up all those stairs (dang L stations), and just generally walking around ALL DAY - and we won't even talk about the sunburn. 

I have an appointment on Monday, but this week was appointment free. 

My legs have been weird lately. I can't quite pinpoint it, but whenever I sit on the couch or in the car too long I just can't seem to get into a comfortable spot. I ended up going to bed early last night just because I couldn't get into a comfortable position sitting on the couch. Not sure what that's about, but I plan to ask my doctor about it Monday.

My first job was when I was 14 and I worked at the local McDonald's - customer service stuff only because I wasn't allowed to touch the grill. It was a great learning experience and I'm actually kind of proud of that job.

Favorite job: Honestly, it's probably my current job. I'm in a management role, I have a great team, we do work that positively affects people's healthcare, and I enjoy the fact that I get to make decisions (even the tough ones) to help make my teams' job better. I sometimes miss the analyst role that I used to be in, but every now and again I'll jump into the system to try to troubleshoot an issue - just to make sure I've still got it :smiley: 

Least favorite job: Probably my job as an assistant to a department of trainers. I had a few co-workers who were great (and I work with even now), but my boss was terrible, it was ALL women in the department, and I was way overqualified for the job (but I wanted to get my foot in the door at the organization). One of the women in the department would go to my boss and say that I did/said something rude or mean and then my boss would bring me into her office and ream me. She never once tried to get my side of the story or took into consideration that the other woman MIGHT be exaggerating/lying about the interaction. I had planned to move up in the department, but my boss flat out told me once that she would never promote me, even if she had an open position. So, that day I started looking for another job and, within about a month, I had a new job in a different division (actually the division I'm currently in, although I did take a 5 year break from this organization to do consulting work).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mellemarie I haven’t been able to run through any of my pregnancies, and pre-kids, I ran 6-7 days per week! The pressure down there in general was just unbesrable to me, even wearing a support belt, from pretty early on (and then this time around I also have terrible SI a joint pain that makes walking painful, so I’m guessing running would be excruciating). I’m extremely envious of women who are able to run/continue their normal workouts throughout pregnancy! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• @mellemarie I'm with you! I was a runner pre-pregnancy (nothing too crazy, just for fitness and the occasional 5K race), but now I can't imagine. It was pouring Wednesday when we got of the Metra train and we had to run to the covered shelter on the platform and just that little bit of running was awful!! Anymore it's all I can do to get in a 30-45 minute walk or session on the elliptical. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MojieJo have you found anything that works on your itchy arm yet? My eczema on my hand has been terrible. I swore off my steroid cream because it only works for a few days, but I had to start using it again because it got so, so bad. I'm going to ask for a new cream at my next appt. Itching is the worst.  :'( 
    @runningyogimama I'm also confused about the grapefruit size this week. I guess they're going by weight and not inches? Grapefruits are definitely not 10 inches! The fruit comparisons confuse me. 

I'm on mobile so I'm only doing a partial update. 23 weeks today! I can't believe it. My ticker says she's as big as a box of Mac and cheese!  <3 My next appt is on Monday, just a regular OB check up. 

My first job was babysitting, after that I worked at Dairy Queen which was the cool place to work in my small Montana town. My favorite job is the job I have now. I work for the government as an editor. 

Hope you all have an awesome weekend! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby?
    22, a coconut 
    2. How are you feeling?
    Good, hips are getting sore. Still nesting like crazy. 
    Normal OB appointment yesterday, scheduled glucose test for 4 weeks followed by an ultrasound to do an echo monitoring of baby boys heart (I’m AMA so apparently that’s one of the special things they do for us ‘old’ ladies :grin:
    I got a massage this week and it was amazing, until two days after and all the knots came back making me more sore than before the massage. 
    First job was cleaning toilets at a summer camp. Favorite job was waitressing at a supper club in college, we had fun every shift!  Least favorite job was the year of retail after college and before the company I have worked for since then. 

• @offtoneverland The best I've managed is a combination of cool showers and, afterwards, witch hazel followed by Aveeno Baby eczema lotion (the kind in the squeeze tube, not the balm in the tub).

As long as I keep up that routine, it's much improved and doesn't bother me too much.  If I take a hot or even too warm shower, the rash and itch comes right back.

The witch hazel helps with the itching immediately and the lotion soothes it and keeps the bumps from cropping up.

• @MojieJo Thank you for the tips! I'm going to get some of that aveeno lotion and see how it works. I also got some witch hazel, but at the time I was having a really bad flare up so it didn't seem to help much. I feel like I'm constantly playing this game of "what's making my skin react this week?" and it's so frustrating! I just realized I got a new face wash about 2 months ago, so maybe that's what I'm having a reaction to.
    I definitely need to take colder showers and the water in the automatic sinks at work is so so hot, so that's probably contributing.  :/
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @MojieJo @smulrich16 I’m so glad I’m not alone! 
  • @offtoneverland You're welcome!  I hope it helps you!

My arm's been under control for 3 days now with no itching (knock on wood).  I'm hoping I'm finally getting out of this itchy hell, but afraid of jinxing myself.