February 2019 Moms

Does your partner come with you?

2»

Re: Does your partner come with you?

• MH came to all but one last time. He was out of town for one ultrasound.  I haven’t had any appointments yet, first one is July 23rd, and he plans to attend with our 2 year old in tow. Should be interesting...
  • Wow that is educational!  :o I feel like I need to be ready for anything tomorrow. 

@lauriebream I'm dying  :D:D:D 
  • Loading the player...
  • kayjay44 said:
    If you’ve never had an early ultrasound, get ready to get up close and personal with a transvaginal wand... something else they don’t tell you.
    Ahh, the beloved dildocam.
    I just spit out my coffee!
  • With DD he only came to the 20 week anatomy scan. All my appointments were pretty quick so I didn't feel like he needed to be there. 
  • We both have job flexibility, so he will come to the US ones probably. But not everything-I like a little me time and he gets antsy if the office is running late. We did genetic testing for DD so we knew gender super early. I had to remind him since we don't need to repeat testing it will be longer for us to know gender this time in terms of telling family, planning decor, etc. But at least he can be there this time for that. Last time the genetic lab told me over the phone so I reveled it to him, Im excited to find out together this time.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @hime0021 Ever since you pointed out that this thread's title sounded dirty... now every time I scroll past it I think it's about sex! You put my mind in the gutter and now I can't get it out again :wink:

It's helpful for me as a FTM to hear a lot of you saying that it's only worth it for partners to come to the big appointments. My husband has been feeling like he needs to come to all the appointments, but I know it's been really hard for him to get away from work in the middle of the day. I want him there for the first few, until we've picked a provider (I set up initial appointments with a few different offices), but after that I think it will be a big relief for him if I tell him not to bother.
  • jessier19 said:
    @hime0021 Ever since you pointed out that this thread's title sounded dirty... now every time I scroll past it I think it's about sex! You put my mind in the gutter and now I can't get it out again :wink:
    Same.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• *lurker* Just FYI. Early ultrasounds are not necessarily transvaginal. I had a dating ultrasound around 7 weeks, and it was just a regular ultrasound on the lower abdomen. I had a low risk pregnancy and never had a transvaginal ultrasound. Also, ask your medical person if you can do the GBS swab yourself. At my practice, they gave me the kit (basically a long swab in a protective plastic cylinder) and told me how to do it. Then, I went in the bathroom, did it myself, put it back in the cylinder and then put it inside the little door where I put my pee cup every time I come and left.
  • *lurker* Just FYI. Early ultrasounds are not necessarily transvaginal. I had a dating ultrasound around 7 weeks, and it was just a regular ultrasound on the lower abdomen. I had a low risk pregnancy and never had a transvaginal ultrasound. Also, ask your medical person if you can do the GBS swab yourself. At my practice, they gave me the kit (basically a long swab in a protective plastic cylinder) and told me how to do it. Then, I went in the bathroom, did it myself, put it back in the cylinder and then put it inside the little door where I put my pee cup every time I come and left.
    How did I not know you can do the GBS swab yourself?!?! At this point, I'm not sure I care, but that would have been a nice option the first time. I'm at the point where I've had so many people up in my business it's not that weird or uncomfortable anymore - it used to be horrible, now it's just ordinary course of business.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• kayjay44 said:
    *lurker* Just FYI. Early ultrasounds are not necessarily transvaginal. I had a dating ultrasound around 7 weeks, and it was just a regular ultrasound on the lower abdomen. I had a low risk pregnancy and never had a transvaginal ultrasound. Also, ask your medical person if you can do the GBS swab yourself. At my practice, they gave me the kit (basically a long swab in a protective plastic cylinder) and told me how to do it. Then, I went in the bathroom, did it myself, put it back in the cylinder and then put it inside the little door where I put my pee cup every time I come and left.
    How did I not know you can do the GBS swab yourself?!?! At this point, I'm not sure I care, but that would have been a nice option the first time. I'm at the point where I've had so many people up in my business it's not that weird or uncomfortable anymore - it used to be horrible, now it's just ordinary course of business.
    At my practice, the default is having you do it yourself, particularly if you don't need an internal exam that day. Other practices may have different policies. There's really no reason someone couldn't do it themselves unless they're worried about you cheating it somehow or something. You literally just take the swab and wipe it over your vagina and anus and then stick it in your anus slightly (I think? I can't remember now exactly). It's super basic. 
  • LoxiLoxi member
    My last baby my husband didn't come for any regular appointments, but he came along to the important consultation visits i.e. Vbac advisibility, abnormal scan, etc.. Then he ended up coming a bunch at the very end, since I was in pretty intense pre-labor and couldn't drive myself. Truthfully I enjoyed my time alone, and I hate taking my husband along to things he thinks are boring or a waste of time.
  • We have three kids , I’m pregnant with twins and my husband works away on a ship. So I am goin to TRY to schedule it all for when he is home so he can come and watch the kids lol 
    This makes me glad that my mom is close by and willing to help with such things. My 3 yo would be touching everything.

PS I’m a total creep and noticed your clinic on your US. (and PNW, duh)  You’re a close one :) I had to go there when I broke my ankle couple of summers ago. 
  • With our first, he came to a good chunk of them.  First baby excitement + worry as we were PGAL accounts for his attendance at most of them.  

With our second, it was only the u/s's and the occasional regular appointment. 

With this one, I can foresee it being just the big u/s's (first & anatomy) because we have 2 other kids to manage care for and really, it's not his/ our first rodeo so it's fine. 

I'm with you @minnesotamama123 - a solo trip around Target after sounds dreamy! 

T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We have three kids , I’m pregnant with twins and my husband works away on a ship. So I am goin to TRY to schedule it all for when he is home so he can come and watch the kids lol 
    This makes me glad that my mom is close by and willing to help with such things. My 3 yo would be touching everything.

PS I’m a total creep and noticed your clinic on your US. (and PNW, duh)  You’re a close one :) I had to go there when I broke my ankle couple of summers ago. 
    I’m a creep and noticed that too :) I’m a few hours north!

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• @kayjay44 I’m in the Portland area.  :)
  • @madreofdragons - I work in Seattle and live just north of the city :)

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• kayjay44 said:
    @madreofdragons - I work in Seattle and live just north of the city :)
    Ah cool! I have friends in Everett.
  • Wow, I just read the rules regarding US at my office and you can’t bring child without another adult. That’s really easy for me but I imagine that being a pain in the ass for others. 
  • Wow, I just read the rules regarding US at my office and you can’t bring child without another adult. That’s really easy for me but I imagine that being a pain in the ass for others. 
    I took my four year old to an abdominal US this spring - it was terrible. I wouldn’t want to do it again. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• @kayjay44 I’m in the Portland area.  :)
    I’m in the Portland area too! 
  • That jerk of a storm wake you up yesterday? @antera23
  • @madreofdragons nope! We got nothing in my area. Just some ominous clouds. My coworker got a good picture of lightening but we didn’t get any thunder. I was kinda bummed. I like storms :) 
  • antera23 said:
    @madreofdragons nope! We got nothing in my area. Just some ominous clouds. My coworker got a good picture of lightening but we didn’t get any thunder. I was kinda bummed. I like storms :) 
    I do too but window rattling thunder at 6:20am I could have done without. 
  • @kayjay44 I’m originally from Edmonds 
  • @pnwkimokeo - Cool! We've been here almost 6 years and love it - it actually keeps just getting better. I'm originally from Ferndale (north of Bellingham) and DH is from north of Kingston.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016