September 2018 Moms

Hospital Bags

Re: Hospital Bags

• Loading the player...
  • I had an unusual circumstance. After my rough surgical delivery I actually was released 36 hours post delivery. Like, didn't get admitted until about 10 pm Monday, born at 11:38 pm Monday, released Wednesday about noon. Even as sore as I was, I was glad to go. That's how much I hate hospitals. Granted, I had a lot to not like about that one right then. Little guy wasn't being released for weeks anyway, so maybe I would have changed my tune if I was bringing home baby at that point....but...shrug. 

I have weird sensory things, literally the neckline on the gown triggers my gag reflex. But I also wash cloth diapers and menstrual pads, I have no stains, so I'm not concerned about getting stains out. I dance to my own drum. If I was having a hospital vaginal birth of full term baby and there were no issues I'd sign us out super quick, like 4-6 hours like a birth center. I also started taking care of newborns when I was 8, so I wasn't nervous about that part.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DanyTargaryenDanyTargaryen member
    edited June 2018
    @ashh2018 - I checked in Monday evening, delivered Tuesday AM, and went home Thursday afternoon. For or a no complications vaginal birth my hospital standard is discharge 36 hours after delivery, but I delivered just before 9am so 36 hours would have been 9pm and they won’t discharge late at night so I stayed an extra night.

Since we have DS already ideally I’ll be in the hospital less time this time.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • I was in the hospital 4 nights, but I could have been discharged after 3. I was in labor night 1, then standard 2 nights postpartum at my hospital, but my daughter was in the NICU for at least one more day and I basically refused to leave without her. Since I was nursing every 3 hours I would have had to sleep on an uncomfortable couch in her room without a shower so while the doctors were supposed to release me on Monday, they waited until Tuesday morning and said it was due to my allergic reaction. On the flip side, my sister had a scheduled c section and was out in under 48 hours.

I think I labored in a nursing gown then after wore a nursing tank and cheap sweats that I didn’t mind getting dirty. The first day I am pretty sure I was just in a nursing bra in bed, but once DD went to the NICU and I had to walk to another building every few hours I had to put real clothes on. I will definitely be packing extra clothes this time as I felt so gross in my clothes after a short while. DH didn’t pack enough but he went home (10 min away) to shower and eat so it wasn’t a big deal for him. I did bring him some shorts as he came straight from work in a suit. Oops.

Also something that needs to be on every single person’s list: chapstick. Seriously don’t forget it.
  • For anyone else birthing outside of a hospital, we just received an email with links to postpartum care items including disposable mesh undies!  
    https://www.amazon.com/Postpartum-Maternity-Disposable-Underwear-Brief/dp/B07218V4D4/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1517859481&sr=1-5&keywords=disposable+underwear+postpartum
  • stothistothi member
    @SkilledSailor the list under it for "customers also bought," is gold! I'm reading it thinking, "got it, want it, want it, had it- bought 2 more, got it, got it, want it..."
  • lisac113 said:
    Question: does anyone have a favorite nursing tank or brand? 
    I’ve not had good luck with the clip
    down kinds (but I’m also too cheap to buy Bravado, which are supposed to be awesome) but I’ve used and love the Gap maternity shelf camisoles. They are stretchy, but still supportive! I just pull the breast I’m nursing with out and it’s easy! 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • magnolia209magnolia209 member
    edited June 2018
    Can anyone recommend a good gown for labor and delivery for smaller people? Yes, will be my biggest ever at that point, but I still have very skinny arms, narrow shoulders, and small boobs and don't want to be swimming in extra fabric. All of the L&D gowns seem huge. No, I'm not looking for something super fitted and tight, but I know from experience that swimming in fabric will drive me crazy and when things are huge up top, they provide no modesty and that will defeat the purpose of wearing anything. Specifically, arm holes and chest closures are usually where things gape open and drive me nuts. Any advice? 

Edited for spelling - you guys why does the Bump not have spell check???
  • @magnolia209 I wear a very comfortable but not necessarily flattering loose maternity shirt ( sort of this style  https://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=1091003&pcid=1090999&vid=1&pid=270604013 ) and a maternity maxi skirt for labour!   Getting close to delivery I change into the hospital gown.  
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • @magnolia209  not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I have been looking at some maternity / nursing / delivery gowns on amazon, too.
  • stothistothi member
    Not trying to freak you out, but my experience was that I didn't even notice how over sized the hospital gown was because I was also huge (5'4 and 115 non pregnant though), and I was more annoyed by the constant blood pressure cuff and oxygen mask, which I had no choice over.
    Omg I hated the blood pressure cuff and the stupid oxygen mask made me feel claustrophobic and I swear I couldn't get a full breath with the stupid thing on. I kept getting yelled at cause I'd take it off so I could take big gulps of room air. It was so confusing to me that wearing an oxygen mask felt like I was getting less air and I kept wondering if the oxygen was actually turned on or like if there was a kink in the hose or what... And the pulse ox thing drive me nuts. Finally a nice nurse moved it from my finger to my toe and that actually helped a lot.
  • stothistothi member
    @Wishilivedinflorida I was planning on being in the tub too so I packed a cute swimsuit top to wear. But with the magnesium and all the other induction drugs and business it never happened. I don't remember if they said I couldn't because I was a fall risk from the meds or if it was because I was hooked up to too many things or what happened, cause I love being in water and can't remember now why water didn't happen. I'm guessing it was the drugs and all the monitors I had to be hooked to.
  • @stothi we had super similar experiences! I kept getting dry lips too from the oxygen and couldn't deal. And my catheter was all nicely taped and out of the way, and then some effin trainee nurse came in and was like "let's retape this to the other leg" without me ever saying anything was wrong with it, and I proceeded to get the tube caught on my leg FOUR times! I'm so happy to be a little bit more educated and not feel weird speaking up for myself this time around. 
  • If you have to be induced it helps to pack some extra things because you could be there awhile before labor starts. I was there three days before my water finally broke and was so thankful my sister brought dvds, puzzles, cards, magazines. It may feel like you’re packing a lot but it helps to have things to pass the time! 
  • This was my list for the first time and am going to use it again. I did not use everything for baby as the hospital had a lot. But DH used what he brought and I uses like 95% of my things. Sorry, it's long.

Baby:
    Diapers x10
    Outfit newborn and 0-3 mos.
    Receiving blanket x2
    Muslin swaddle wrap x2
    Socks
    Soother
    Wipes
    Blankie
    Hat
    Mitts
    Car seat
    Diaper cream
    Face cloths
    Vaseline

Mommy:
    Flip flops
    Socks and under
    Robe
    PJS
    Loose shirts
    Nursing bra
    Leave in conditioner
    Dry shampoo and Shampoo/conditioner
    Phone charger
    Deodorant
    Lotion
    Makeup and mirror
    Brush
    Toothbrush/Paste/Mouthwash
    Tums
    Chapstick
    Face cream
    Face wipes
    Face cloths
    Towel
    Hair tie, bobby pins, headband
    Toilet paper
    Pillow
    Breastfeeding pillow
    Blanket
    Prenatal vitamins
    Snacks
    Gatorade
    Water bottle
    Pads/Always underwear
    Nursing pads
    Nipple cream
    Plastic bags for dirty clothes and shoes
    Health card

Daddy:
    Sandals
    Socks
    Sweat pants
    Snacks
    Toothbrush

• stothistothi member
    @Car0liiine ooo, the little fan is a good idea! I have one already, too! 
  • @stothi I did the same thing. Wore a sports bra for support and when DS came out everyone was trying to whip my boobs out for me! This time I’ll bring a comfy nursing sleep bra. 
    This is freaking genius! I'm now off to Amazon to buy all the stretchy nursing bras to just constantly wear in September :lol: