December 2018 Moms

Weekend Randoms • 6/16 & 6/17

So! I woke at 5am to a man screaming his head off about...something. I think the police finally arrived. Honestly, I just hope this man stops wailing and that nobody gets shot. I look forward to reading the police blotter about this later. 

What’s going on in your world this weekend?
NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
Anniversary

Re: Weekend Randoms • 6/16 & 6/17

• @echo-charlietango that's kind of scary!! Hopefully everything ended okay!

AFM, DS and I are going shopping this morning for a Fathers Day gift for DH. I'm planning on getting him at least books 2 and 3 of Game of Thrones because he really wants them. Debating what else, or maybe just the rest of the series. And I need to get something for my dad, I guess he desperately needs new bath towels according to my sister, which doesn't surprise me. He doesn't spend money on himself, he spends it on us and my son. So I was going to try and find him some nice, big, fluffy towels and maybe a matching bath mat.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Loading the player...
  • @echo-charlietango Yikes, I hope all was peacefully resolved! There was a really bad road rage incident here in Denver on Thursday and I just can’t get it out of my mind. I just started typing it all out and then deleted it, because it’s a lot of crazy and sadness for a Saturday morning.

@katy0990 I’m sure you look great, but I so feel your pain. I went to FL a few weeks ago and ordered a high-waisted suit (because they look cute in other people, so why not?!). I thought it looked decent until I later saw a video of me catching DD at the bottom of the water slide. I was sorely mistaken.  :|

AFM, I have no idea what our plans are today. Our IL’s have been here all week and they’ll be leaving today.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I am 15 weeks today (horray!!!!) and I've gone on a cleaning spree. Unfortunately, I am having severe sciatic pain and its hurting bad but I need to get this cleaning done. For Fathers day (I am pregnant with our first child), I got my husband a bottle of whiskey and some Oakley sunglasses. We have a boat and he doesn't ever wear sunglasses plus he is a software developer so it's even more strain on the eyes. I got my dad some cleaning stuff for his motorcycles. Apparently this stuff was discontinued some time ago but I managed to find some. My grandfathers aren't doing well. One has stage 4 cancer and the other is in the early stages of Alzheimer's so I'll be spending some time with them. 

I also want to nap and this back pain to stop. 
  • @brittaniahutto I hope the time with your family is lovely, I’m sorry your grandfathers aren’t doing well. 

@hkom yay for cleaning! So satisfying to see it done.

@ab_canada very cool!! 

@rosebud332 enjoy! 

@clbness I went to grad school in Denver, loved living there so much. I’m sorry to hear there was a nasty road rage incident. :( 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • AFM: having fun prepping the house for sale, maybe a hike if we can fit it in and cooking fancy dinner for G tomorrow for Father’s Day. Waiting to hear later today about when my sister’s memorial will be, so that may change plans if I have to fly out abruptly (it’s on the west coast, I’m on the east).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It’s supposed to be a gorgeous day today and a HOT day tomorrow and Sunday. DD and I are headed to lunch after her nap to meet an old coworker. Tomorrow we’ll go to my SIL house because she has a pool. I am being petty (not sure if I’ve mentioned it before) for Father’s Day, he did nothing for me and it was my first mother’s day. So he gets nothing. My dad has always been MIA so he’ll get an email, and that will be that. 
    In disappointing news my daughters birthday party turned into being super expensive because a huge wind storm knocked over the tent and snow cone machine, breaking both. We borrowed those and will have to replace them for the family we borrowed from. Plus the washer I bought on Sunday. So this is me:

• @Jens_Hoes That is terrible! What an expensive week! Also, I don’t blame you for not doing anything for him. Had you talked about Mother’s Day beforehand? That sounds very disappointing, especially for your first.

@hbmama21 Still thinking of you and hope you are finding comfort.

@brittaniahutto I am sorry your graandfathers are not doing well. I hope you enjoy your time with them.

@hkom Good luck with all the cleaning and organizing! We need to tackle our basement, too. As far as the cribs, most manuals are available online now.
  • @hkom

Re: cribs

So those who know better, please chime in. I feel like the crib safety stuff is a little overblown. It's a bed with a side that lowers, right? If you are buying it at the store, there is time to do as much research as necessary. But at a yard sale, wouldn't you be able to just check how the stuff lowers and lifts, if anything is broken, etc? You can even check the spacing between the rails (is that what that's called? Pregnant brain here...). 
    I would totally buy a crib at a yard sale.. they say to buy a new mattress though, not only for obvious reasons, but it helps against SIDS.

• The one thing you actually don’t want is a crib with sides that lower. They don’t make those anymore. There were some issues with the springs breaking or something and basically babies getting stuck I think. Now they make them with solid sides and the mattress gets lowered as baby gets bigger. I don’t know about what the other safety standards are specifically but anything with lowering sides won’t be up to date for sure.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @ab_canada It is my understanding that they no longer make drop side cribs and all of them have been recalled. So, If it does have that feature, it has been recalled.

I will say though, (this may be a UO) I understand that they recalled them because they were being made with plastic the past few years. But, they used to be made with metal parts and were much safer. My DS sleeps in the drop side crib all of my siblings and I slept in as babies when we go to my mom’s house. My DH inspected the heck out of it and the metal parts prevent the side from dropping unless the foot petal at the bottom is pushed while the side is unlatched. Sorry I guess I just needed to get that off my chest because it annoys me that some cheap manufacturing ruined drop side cribs for everyone.
  • I wouldn't have anything against buying a crib at a yard sale, but definitely it shouldn't have a side that lowers. At least in the US, drop sided cribs are now illegal to manufacture, sell, or even donate; there were dozens of recalls across manufacturers and models because of the drop side creating a gap where kids could get trapped and suffocate. Lots of babies died, many more were hurt.

But getting the crib used? Yeah, sounds like smart financial planning to me. Babies are expensive enough as it is.
  • @PensiveCrayon I am glad I am not alone. That is awesome about your MIL!
  • @PensiveCrayon I almost ordered something from Amazon using the church credit card. DH is in charge of the sound booth and orders supplies now and then so the card is in file. Good thing I didn't have pregnancy brain then and looked over my order before placing it. 
  • @agk2015 That’s awesome! I hope you guys have a great time! I have some amazing friendships from J16 too. Most surprising thing about pregnancy was the tribe I got online here.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Haha @gorgeousariel way to avoid a mess! Gross extortion from the church ;)

@AGK2015 Amen. I have no actual friends here in AL (my fault I know, I need to figure it out) but I interact daily with my TTC pals and D16 crew. In August I’ll be going out to DC for a D16 meetup. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • My poor husband has been working since 5 this morning and will be working part of the day tomorrow, so I'm solo parenting and also trying to figure out done last minute Father's Day presents! (Work has been crazy lately so I ran out of time this week.) I think the present he'll most appreciate is a nap or two but I'm thinking of sneaking away to get him a nice shirt or two (he needs new clothes) and a very fancy beer of some kind. We're also going out to dinner eother tonight or tomorrow, so hopefully that'll make it special enough. But I wonder if anyone has ideas for a bigger present I could order that would be late? He's a Super Dad who does every single day care pick up and drop off (with an hour commute each way) so I feel bad I've been so busy and haven't gotten something really awesome. He loves to read, loves music and podcasts, and is a craft beer nerd (works in that industry) so if anyone has amazing ideas for a bigger belated gift I'm all ears!

@PensiveCrayon Ooh I can't wait to start some registries (just for us for the discounts and welcome boxes) and how exciting your accidental order became a gift!

@Jens_Hoes Oh no, I'm sorry for all the unexpected expenses. :(

@echo-charlietango Yikes, hope everything's ok with the random screaming!

@katy0990 Ugh, I hear you! My coworker is four weeks ahead of me and has this adorable little bump and I still just look chubby and not pregnant. It also gives me PGAL anxiety not to have a bump, but I know I just need to chill and wait another few weeks. I didn't have a proper bump that was visible in clothes until after 20 weeks last time, so trying to be patient!
  • @maureenmce  Does he have a favorite activity? If so, could you get him a gift certificate for something along those lines?
  • @maureenmce I agree maybe an activity he can go do sans kids with a guy friend or something. My husband loves this ax throwing place around here...I don’t know if they are popping up in other places as well. It sounds ridiculous but it’s basically like darts but with an ax and he thinks it’s the best thing ever.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @maureenmce would it be weird to give him a beer of the month subscription? Or does he get enough beer at work?
  • @rosebud332 That is so funny — I just heard a story on NPR yesterday about axe-throwing sports bars! Odd!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited June 2018
    @katy0990 @rosebud332 @Jens_Hoes Thanks for the suggestions!! I do think he probably gets too much free beer for it to be cool to him anymore, but an activity based present sounds like an awesome idea! He loves running and has been really enjoying doing 5 and 10ks lately, maybe I'll find a fun or scenic looking race in the area and sign him up for one! Also, the axe throwing has not caught on here yet I don't think (maybe LA guys aren't manly enough, lol) but that sounds amazing!!!
  • @echo-charlietango Yayyyyy welcome to Alabama! 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @echo-charlietango Welcome Home!! Hope you guys settle in well and enjoy your new space!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @echo-charlietango I am glad you made it! 
  • So, luckily since I've been on Pepcid the reflux vomiting has stopped, but I still have a lot of reflux related nausea, burping, heartburn, near vomiting etc., and the worst trigger? WATER. Why??? It's like an instant feeling of needing to throw up that no other beverage causes and it sucks! I feel like I'm so thirsty all the time but I can barely have more than a sip at a time. Had half a glass this morning and nearly threw up while running errands. Oh well, guess I'll have to find other ways to hydrate and just be grateful for the fact I'm not puking daily anymore.

Other than than nonsense, husband has to work again for part of today so the toddler and I are having a lazy Sunday at home then going to a nice Father's Day dinner once my husband is off work. We're going to a place that makes amazing virgin margaritas and I am probably way too excited for something that doesn't even have alcohol, haha.

@Gwyneddlesliegrace Oh wow that lake sounds amazing!!
  • @maureenmce glad to hear the pepcid is working for you. I hear you on the reflux with water thing, I’ve been having the same thing. I find reflux and related urping is much better with plain carbonated water than flat. But I don’t know of any science to back up why that would be, so take with a large grain of salt. 
  • hkomhkom member
    @maureenmce I'm glad you're feeling at least a little better!  I'm jealous of those virgin margaritas. That sounds amazing. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @maureenmce glad you’re feeling a little better! I don’t have reflux, but for weeks the thought of drinking water made me want to vomit. I mentioned this to my doctor and she mentioned getting water in other ways (watermelon, ice chips, etc). Maybe one of those would work to help your thirst? 
  • Sorry for the late replies...I don't get notifications when mobile bumping and I haven't been on a desktop to check!

@hkom Ugh, the high-waisted suits are so cute on others.  I was so grossed out after I saw the video of me in it.  BURN IT NOW!!

@hbmama21 Awesome!  Were you at DU?  It was awful and ended horribly tragic for a family in Westminster.  It has made me rethink every ragey moment I've ever had when driving.  Never again will I flip someone off and call them a dicklicker!  Also, I've been thinking of you and hope things are going as well as it can for you and your family.  <3
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker