December 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight 6/11: Maternity and Nursing Bras

2»

Re: Product Spotlight 6/11: Maternity and Nursing Bras

• @ab_canada Last pregnancy I went from a B to a C and by the end of the pregnancy I was a D. I think now, or at least before I got pregnant I MAY have been back down to a C or big B... but I don't know because I have still been nursing and haven't gone back to a regular bra. The one I wear now is sized a S/M/L and I believe mine is a small.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • nawminnawmin member
    Best bra purchase I made pre/post pregnancy was a “DairyFairy” bra. It was a nursing bra and pumping bra - I could pump hands free without having to waste time putting on and taking off those zip up holster things. Not cheap, but tremendous value. 
  • Loading the player...
  • hkomhkom member
    edited July 2018
    OK, friends.  Gather 'round my pulpit because I am about to preach The Word.  The Holy Word of Bravissimo.

Image result for cleophus james gif

Forgive the book, but the lack of bra options for large-breasted women is something I've struggled with for a very long time and am quite passionate about.

Background for any noobs:  I was a 32G (UK sized - I believe that translates to a 32I in US sizing) before getting pregnant.  I've been dreading trying to find a bra since I got pregnant and my boobs increased to an H cup and will only get bigger, along with my band size.  I had visions of having to wear an ill-fitting, non-supportive, granny bra once my underwires got too uncomfortable, and just having to completely give my my vanity, grit my teeth and get through it for a few months.  Only to then have to deal with the world of the few horrid choices in nursing bras offered to busty women.  I am already struggling with the impending body image / sexuality issues that I feel like will (for me personally) accompany breastfeeding, and the thought of having to exist in hideous bras is making the worry worse.

I have been searching my entire adult life for a wireless bra that works for me normally, let alone pregnant.  I have tried countless brands and every Facebook bra startup out there. Nothing has worked.  My biggest issues are 1) Actual support.  I do not want my boobs at my elbows.  Having low boobs makes me want to die.  Dramatic?  Yes, but I don't care.  I don't want to look or feel like I look like an old bag.  2) The ever-elusive combination of having my boobs sit within the silhouette of my ribcage, but also not completely smashed together in the middle.  Containment, but also separation.  3)  No cone boobs (I'm looking at you, Royce).  

I've been ordering my regular underwire bras from Bare Necessities for years.  For some reason, I was unaware that Bravissimo now has a US website (I couldn't use their UK website for the longest time because my bank/credit card would FREAK OUT whenever I tried to order something).   ANYWAY, I perused Bravissimo's website and found a lot of options that I had never seen on Bare Necessities, Amazon, or any other website.  They even had a wireless Fantasie, which is my favorite brand.  I just received my package today and, no exaggeration, almost teared up trying these bras on.

I got these:   https://www.bravissimo.com/us/products/sophie-non-wired-bra-black-pnm1bl/
                         https://www.bravissimo.com/us/products/jacqueline-non-wired-bra-navy-fa144nvy/
                         https://www.bravissimo.com/us/products/non-padded-sleep-bra-grey-marl-nw235gml/

All three of them are exactly what I have been looking for and hit all three of my issues.  The grey "sleep bra" I will probably only wear around the house and definitely for sleeping (it is SO SOFT), but the other two I would actually wear out of the house and not think twice about it, which I've never been able to say about a wireless bra ever.  AND they have matching undies!  I will probably buy them in every color they have, and H will NEVER see the receipt.

I also got the Panache Sophie nursing bra, which is great as well.  Prettty much just like the one above, but with drop down cups. 

TL;DR:  If you have big boobs and are struggling with wireless/nursing bra options, I highly highly highly recommend checking out these bras and Bravissimo in general.  They are pricey, but I've learned over the past 5-6 years that a truly well-fitting bra is honestly worth even more than they charge for these.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @hkom I’m glad you had such a hallelujah moment with finding pretty bras that are comfortable & do the jobs you want them for. Fantasie brand never quite fit my shape like Freya does, but they have lovely things and I always wished I could get away with them. 
  • @hkom I am so glad you found ones you like!
  • tunneltunnel member
    The Bravado Silk Seamless Nursing Bra was my favorite!  So comfortable, like a sports bra.  
    https://www.amazon.com/Bravado-Designs-Womens-Seamless-Nursing/dp/B003ZNCZMA/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1531176424&sr=1-2-spons&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=bravado+silk+seamless+nursing+bra&psc=1&smid=A2V3PL72ZG5F1J

I had an underwire one for when I went out, but otherwise I lived in the Bravado bras.
    BabyFruit Ticker