December 2018 Moms

Share Your Things To Do Before Baby Arrives Checklist!

2»

Re: Share Your Things To Do Before Baby Arrives Checklist!

• I LOVE lists!  And this is the first time in my life that I don’t want to make one.  There is too much to do.  This baby changes everything.  We have no room for this baby.  Like NONE.  We barely survived a long winter in our little home with one toddler and two large dogs.  The highlight of our home is large outdoor living and a gorgeous neighborhood!  However, we are in the city which means high taxes and private schooling.  Now we can’t affort to stay where we are come kindergarten time and like I mentioned we don’t fit here anymore.  The big problem is I am attached to this home.  I don’t want to move.  So I am mentally stuck and cry every time I try to think ahead.  This rant sounds like we did try for two years and pray everyday for this baby.  I think after my next appointment and getting out of the the first trimester ick, I will revisit this thread with a plan and an amazing LIST!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @LLynde5 That sounds like a tough situation. *Creepy internet hugs*
  • @LLynde5 i totally understand! We are in a very small house (though no other kids, so we will be ok for a little while) and we know we need to move eventually. We both LOVE this house, but it's just not feasible. I have put off buying anything because i don't have anywhere to put it! It's stressful; I'm sorry you're feeling it too!
  • Thanks @katy0990 and @morgantu.  I know it will all be fine.  It just feels so good to vent sometimes!!  When we bought our house we knew it was a starter home and would only last us five years. (That’s what you say in your 20’s with one dog, no kids) I have stretched that into almost ten!!  We have made a million memories here but our next house we will make even more!!
  • I both love your lists and am so stressed out at exactly the same time. I need to start a list!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My list so far:  

Survive the anxiety of waiting to see if SO is a CF carrier as well

Move

Tell SO's parents about the pregnancy

I feel like at the moment I am way too overwhelmed to even begin an actual list of baby related things! I usually love making checklists, but I am kind of freaking out right now.
  • @scaredunprepared sorry you have to deal with that kind of anxiety.  Here to hoping your SO is not a carrier!
  • I’m feeling pretty chill about things to do at this point, but I am already having some of the nesting urges. In definitely not sequestial order:

-We need to pare down & rearrange our office to make room for baby’s dresser/changing table.
    -Set up the essentials in the dresser (clothes/diapering).
    -And get the bassinet cleaned up and make space in our room. 
    -Reorganize Poppy’s closet to help with storage. 
    -Get baby stuff out <6 months and figure out what else I need. More cold weather stuff in little sizes for sure. (Poppy was a May baby).
    -Order new pump from insurance company. 
    -New nipples for the bottles. 
    -Formula for supplementing. 
    -Put up holiday decorations after Thanksgiving. 
    -Christmas shopping early. 
    -Figure out design for holiday card/birth announcement (we’ll send it early Jan this year). 
    -Plan baby photo shoot (my mom & I will do it).
    -Get new nursing tank tops. Mine were definitely trashed after the first kid.
    -Tell my boss/team. 
    -Complete annoying paperwork for leave. 
    -Try to negotiate for coming back part time for a month as a transition. 
    -Find acceptable daycare(s) and get on the waitlist. Pay an excessive deposit to more than one place because too much risk of not getting in. 
    -Try to arrange other childcare until at least 6 months, ideally 9. 
    -Find a good doula. 
    -See a therapist to reduce anxiety about delivery. 
    -Get “big sister” present for Poppy for when baby is born. 
    -Make self-care kit for postpartum. Padsicles, dermaplast, ibuprofen, tucks, nipple butter, lotion, chapstick, hair ties, tissues, peribottle. 
    -Buy extra phone charger for nursing station. 
    -Buy new chair for nursing. 
    -Complete all scheduled projects before going on leave.

So umm, most of this isn’t neccessary just ideal. I will definitely feel better once the office is rearramged, because I hate clutter and chaos, and everything needs to have a place. But other than that, the pump, and the practicalities like leave at work and sugning up for childcare, nothing’s on fire before baby is born. 
  • This may be a dumb question, but I see people talking about buying new nipples. Can nipples and pacifiers be reused if sterilized first or is that a no no? 
  • It depends how long its been since they were used and how much use they have @katy0990. The nipples and pacifiers actually break down which obviously isn't safe. So if they are barely used and in great condition and your babies are close together you're probably fine.

• @katy0990 Same as @kristah2 said.  I am going to replace both nipples and pacifiers even though my daughter is 1 yo.  Of all of the baby items, they aren't that expensive, so eh.
  • katy0990katy0990 member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks @kristah2 and @Jens_Hoes I never even thought about it. My mom used the same ones through 5 kids! I’ll definitely replace them to be safe. I may try to salvage the wubba nub though. 
  • @katy0990 I am also salvaging the wubanub!
  • @katy0990 and @kristah2 what is a wubanub?  Ftm questions lol
  • Seeing your lists reminds me of all the "stuff"  I need to do. ugh. I have no motivation and usually enjoy checking things off of a list. I'm stressin'. I've yet to tell my boss/team, that 1) i'm pregnant and 2) I'll be moving to a diff state therefore putting in my notice. And then moving itself. Ugh. Blah. 
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • @scaredunprepared it’s a pacifier with a small animal attached to it! It makes it easier for babies to hold and find when they are little and have no coordination or dexterity really. 
    DS has one with a dog on it! 
    They are like $20 each but totally worth having one!
  • @kristah2 thanks!  I'll have to check them out!
  • hkomhkom member
    @temmetime YES to the freezer meal thread!!  When should that be started?

BabyFruit Ticker

• @scaredunprepared like all things baby, I used my wubanub like twice. My daughter didn't like the pacifier on the end so it's barely used but I know some people swear by it. 
  • @scaredunprepared here is a link
    https://www.target.com/p/wubbanub-174-giraffe-pacifier-brown/-/A-50806412?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9015834&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8r6qz7LU2wIVhLjACh1cegIpEAQYASABEgJL9PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Funny FTM story: When DH and I were creating our registry, We saw them and were like what a rip off who would pay that amount for a pacifier!?!?! Then after DS’s fell out 375586 times, we bought one
  • @jens_hoes I think that would be helpful.
  • My son never took to pacifiers but he loved his Wubbanub when I got it out for him later in his life. Then Wen left it in the seat back pocket of an airplane :bawling: But I’ll definitely be getting another for this new babe. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • I scored a panda one for new babe for $8.50 at BRU!
  • Just thought of another one: call the folks in charge of administering our benefits so that I can get the paperwork in order for my maternity leave. May do this one a little earlier, just so that HR has it on record that I've disclosed my pregnancy, on the off chance someone higher up decides now would be the perfect opportunity to force me out or something.
  • Wow @maureenmce I am jealous! That is awesome!
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited June 2018
    @katy0990 I am especially grateful because otherwise I would get nothing, as I work freelance. So I basically told my husband we are having 100% of the kids we are going to have in CA! And I really, really hope that more states start offering this. <3 It's so, so necessary and it's an easy thing to just pay into the system with each paycheck and redeem as needed. 
  • @binxybaby I feel that exact same way...I feel like such a procrastinator and honestly a bit overwhelmed with what I think I need to do. And the more I read this thread, the longer my list of things to procrastinate on gets...
    • Finish planning next year's homeschool curriculum for my big kids.
    • Fill the freezer with meals, breakfast items, and snacks (I usually put up a months worth of meals)
    • Buy a van and install all the car seats (ugh)
    • Once we have our anatomy scan, crochet little man or little lady's blankie/hat/booties for coming home and his/her dedication set (bonnet, sweater or dress, shoes).  
    • Sew all the kids' Christmas eve jammies and Christmas outfits
    • Sew a few more nursing tops for me and buy a better nursing bra to wear with them.
    • Pack baby's birth center bag and stuff for the kids to take to grandma's (My bag gets packed when I pack up my maternity things)
    • Do an overall organize and clean out to simplify things for once baby comes.
    • Possibly get a new mini crib since DS will still be in the big crib when this baby comes.  Might just stick with the PNP though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker