November 2018 Moms

Midwife??

I was wondering if any of you have used a midwife before or using one this time around and what your experience was. I am highly considering it after doing much research and after my first child birth experience. I would love some feedback and stories! Thank you

Re: Midwife??

• I’ve only ever used my midwife and I adore her. The only experience I’ve had with an OB was when I had my ectopic but because they work in the same office, it wasn’t much of a different experience. From what I can understand a midwife is basically the same as an OB just without surgical capabilities. So when I had my C-section my midwife was there but so was the OB who I hadn’t met before but who was very nice. Hopefully some ladies here can shed some light on any key differences for you to consider.
    At every appointment I give a urine sample, weight checks, blood draws, blood pressure, blood oxygen, and temperature checks. We hear the heartbeat at every appointment. And she has me get routine ultrasounds. I can’t imagine how much more thorough an OB would be. And I can only speak to my experience, but I definitely delivered in a hospital. People hear midwife and automatically think home birth. Nothing wrong w/ that of course just saying one doesn’t equal the other. 
  • I did and am using midwives this time also. We have 3 in my office and you see all of them because only 1 is on call at a time. I love the midwives. There are 2 new ones in my office this time around but I like them even better then the ones with DS. 

My understanding is the same as @MouseMama817 about differences in midwives and OB's. OB's have surgical capabilities. I had the same experience as I had an emergency c-section so the OB did it but my midwife was there the whole time and took over right after I was sewn up. I only saw the OB a few weeks after the c-section to check the incision. 
    I have the same type of appointment stuff as mousemama only they don't do blood draws but when necessary. (Beginning, diabetes test, etc.)  
    Since I am going to try for a Vbac this time I am required to see an OB at about 35 weeks just to go over logistics should a vbac not happen.  
    I delivered in a hospital also with my midwife.

• Loading the player...
  • edited June 2018
    I intended to give birth at a midwife group (all of the midwives were also RNs), and they took care of me the whole pregnancy. They were wonderful ladies. Unfortunately, I had a tricky delivery and needed to be transferred to the hospital for an emergency c-section. My midwife came with me and was there the entire time.

Even though I ended up with a birth that was totally opposite of what we'd planned for, she did everything she could to give me even a little of the experience I'd had in mind. As they were sticking me for the epidural, she was in the background giving tips for how to manage the pain (low moaning), she made certain I got skin-to-skin after they pulled DS  out, and when the nurses gave me about 2.5 seconds to work on breastfeeding before going back to business as usual and having me sign papers, etc., my midwife made sure I got a few quiet moments and helped me get a good latch pretty much immediately.

I felt like a failure, because I had this vision of what my labor and birth experience should be like, and I am, to this day, so thankful for her presence during and even after DS's birth. She helped me get through a lot of negative emotions and was a great support to have during that vulnerable time. With that being said, that whole experience has humbled me a bit this time around. My birth plan now is I have no birth plan. (Except get us both through it safely!)

So, in a nutshell, I would absolutely recommend a good midwife!

ETA: So far, my checkups at the midwife group were identical to what I've done this time around at my doctor's offices. Urine samples, bloodwork, blood pressure, heartbeat checks with a doppler, two ultrasounds, and they're on the same timeline as far as how often I go in for checkups. So the business end of things is the same - just a bit of a different philosophy, I guess you could say. A major difference was the midwife group offered no epidural, which in the end, I was extremely grateful for, especially since I ended up with the cesarean anyway.
  • I had my first baby at a birth house, which was also a midwifery school (across from a hospital, but not part of it) with midwives and DH present only - most wonderful experience ever! I had a calm water birth (as calm as a first labor can be lol), dim lights, my own music, and the midwives were just super supportive and non-intrusive the whole time. I got to tell THEM when I felt ready to push - they quickly checked to make sure, and sure enough I was ready to go. They made sure I was reading my own body signs and let me progress in peace until it was go time, only stopping once in a while to monitor baby's heart or encourage me to sip my water.

Sadly I can't do the same because I'm having twins this time around. So far I'm just not enjoying my relationships with doctors and medical staff. They aren't asking me as many questions, but instead telling me what to expect and what I should be feeling. It's just so different, and I'm worried I won't get much say in the end. There is much more opportunity to really get to know your midwife, or group of midwives. Midwives definitely have a different philosophy, which I really prefer, but it probably also depends on what kind of midwife you are planning to see (CPM vs CNM). I had a CPM and a CPM in training for my first and they were wonderful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker