September 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 6/7

stothistothi member
edited June 2018 in September 2018 Moms
I couldn't remember what unpopular opinions I had for this week so I lurked and borrowed a few from the other boards.

How about you all? Opinions? If you've got 'em, we want to hear them! 

Re: UO Thursday 6/7

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    EErin86 said:
    I totally judge people when their cars are held together with duct tape and smashed up. I also usually don't want to drive near them in case they are accident prone 
    Same!!!
  • Options
    @stothi I totally agree on all of the above.
  • Options
    You all are on a roll! @stothi Yes to everything above! @EErin86 I do the same thing when I see a beat up duct taped car. And, while I realize I don’t know the whole story and that the accident might not have been their fault, I do assume they are very unlucky and I want to stay far away from that! 

UO: I like steak cooked all the way through. Not just in pregnant times, always. I don’t care how nice of a cut it is or how good the chef is. I do not like pink or red. 
  • Options
    OU: I don't do/love super themed parties, including kids birthday parties, or bedrooms. A bunch of matching stuff seems weird and expensive to me. Also, my son is having a moana theme party this weekend, and as wearing a grass skirt-because we're classy and non-conforming. 

I also don't much like condiments in general other than butter and pasta sauce. Could live entirely without ketchup, mustard, and ranch and would love it. 

Cars in bad cosmetic shape makes me assume they're bad drivers and poorer than me. Drive AWAY cuz our budget is small but we do have good insurance....and I can't afford my rates to go up. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    starlastarla member
    I'm not a fan of PB+J. I don't see what the big deal is. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Options
    starla said:
    I'm not a fan of PB+J. I don't see what the big deal is. 
    I could live on PB&J
  • Options
    @magnolia209 me too on the meat. It has to be cooked all the way through. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I want my steak rare as possible, but hamburger meat needs to be cooked all the way through without a hint of pink.

I also like to cook really bland meat. I think chicken well done and steak rare with no seasoning or sauce is delicious! I love well seasoned piece of meat, but I also think it is really good just plain. 
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor @stothi I love my moms group! But I didn’t have any local friends/family with kids roughly the same age. I’d go to the local events (like story time at the library, a town event, etc.) that would be full of other moms “just like me” but they all seemed to know each other and I didn’t know any of them. At classes we’ve made some mom friends, but it’s been hard to take the friendship outside the class. 

Now with the mom’s group I joined there’s about 15 families all in my town with kids aged newborn to 4 years. I run into them at all the local events, which made the events so much more fun. And I finally have people around with the same schedule...like wanting to meet up from 10-12 on a weekend, or 4:30-6:30 on a weekday, or a glass of wine from 8-10pm on a Friday (when not pregnant). 

I dinthink ink it would have been easier to make mom friends independently if I didn’t work full time, but a nice pre-established group of people fit my needs nicely!
  • Options
    @mandymost That's totally fair. I knew it must be a UO since there are so many mom groups out there. Clearly they work for a lot of people. 
  • Options
    UO: I hate that most mom's groups meet M-F 8am to 4pm because "SAHMs need support." So because I work, I don't want to do fun things with my kid(s) at night and on the weekends? You don't think I want to go to the library and interact with her while we sing songs and read books? Oh, she should just get to do that at daycare with strangers who aren't invested in her future because I have to/want to/need to/decided to work outside the home? Okay. 
    Yes. So much fun parent/child stuff is scheduled during the week around here. I've been looking into mommy & me gymnastics classes and there are a ton during the week, but very limited for DS's age group on weekends. It's really frustrating.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @Patience7150 yes!  I tried to join one when DS was a baby since most of our friends have kids 3-5 years older than him. I literally could not find a single one that had weekend events and we live in a big city, so there were a bunch of them. So annoying. 
  • Options
    starlastarla member
    Where does one find these mom groups? I joined a couple Facebook groups in my town, but it seems to be people just asking for recommendations and things of that nature.
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.

• Options
    starla said:
    Where does one find these mom groups? I joined a couple Facebook groups in my town, but it seems to be people just asking for recommendations and things of that nature.
    Ask on the Facebook group! Also local recreation centers, breastfeeding centers, and even your hospital may have some! I joined one with DD at a park/rec center near my house. This time around I am going to a second time moms group recommended by a friend (our nannys met at the park and became best friends and we’re due 2 months apart, just like our first kids are).
  • Options
    starla said:
    I specifically looked for mom groups. There are definitely the standard community pages for my town and area, but then there were separate mom groups. If you search for your town moms or your state moms they may come up that way.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    starlastarla member
    starla said:
    I specifically looked for mom groups. There are definitely the standard community pages for my town and area, but then there were separate mom groups. If you search for your town moms or your state moms they may come up that way.
    They're called that, that's why I'm confused. One is TOWN NAME Moms and the other is TOWN NAME Moms Community Fun or something like that. I haven't been able to find anything else on Facebook. :(
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***

• Options
    @starla A lot of the town moms FB group members are also members of even more specified, private FB mom groups (by neighborhood, specific parenting style, etc.). Worth asking in the bigger groups! 
  • Options
    We have the town moms Facebook groups, which are thousands of people with bids of all ages, but a huge and amazing source of info. These moms know EVERYTHING! 

The actual small, meet-up groups seem to be organized through different organizations...places that have parenting classes, breastfeeding classes, or mommy-and-me classes often also have some moms groups organized. The one I’m in was just some motivated moms who were part of a bigger group and formed a smaller, more-active spinoff group. We try to have play dates on weekends and weekdays, because some people work full time and others don’t. Luckily my town also seems to have lots of stuff on weekends, too..we’ve done swimming class, music class, toddler gymnastics, and story time on weekends! 
  • Options
    starla said:
    starla said:
    They're called that, that's why I'm confused. One is TOWN NAME Moms and the other is TOWN NAME Moms Community Fun or something like that. I haven't been able to find anything else on Facebook. :(
    Sounds like they need some new group names then!!
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    starlastarla member
    @starla A lot of the town moms FB group members are also members of even more specified, private FB mom groups (by neighborhood, specific parenting style, etc.). Worth asking in the bigger groups! 
    Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?! LOL
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***

• Options
    nackienackie member
    starla said:
    I found a bunch on meetup and just googling city name + moms group
  • Options
    I met some great friends through breast feeding groups, as well as my c section awareness group-which meets after work for sure. Anyone who has had a c section is welcome to go to their local ICAN chapter meetings. Just an fyi. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker