January 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps and Accessories

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... Breast Pumps and Accessories 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. 

For S+TMs: 

• Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite [Breast Pumps and Accessories
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [Breast Pumps and Accessories]?:

For FTMs

• Breast Pumps and Accessories] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VpirQLqoWOgVefTUVQLuh0wcdlL3kKfjcp2_aaZd6Bk/edit#gid=0  

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps and Accessories

• I will be getting the Phillips Avent pump again. I paid out of pocket for it and it was well worth it! I had supply issues and this baby did way better than the other pumps I tried while trying to pump enough last time. The falanges have silicone covers so they conform really well to the breast and it makes it much more bearable! 
    https://amzn.to/2IZ0p5m
  • Medela pump in style. My insurance covered 1 pump 100% and I bought a 2nd.

Having 2 pumps was a lifesaver. I could keep one at work and not worry about schlepping it back and forth.

In the morning I would pack clean pump parts and storage bags.

At work i would keep the pump and quick cleam wipes.

Coming home I'd bring the dirty pump parts and full (hopefully) milk storage bags.

I dont remember costs anymore, but having a back up pump and pack up flanges (things that go on your boob) were lifesavers more than once.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry for all the autocorrect errors. The app sucks.
  • Lansinoh bags. Don't get any others. Lansinoh bags are the best. I have had horrible experiences with others. 

I like the medela pump. I used a PISA for both kids and it was great. I also loved that getting the parts was easier. Like valves, shields, membranes, etc. It's nice to just go to a regular store and pick some up. Also get the steam bags and wipes. The wipes were AMAZING. It's nice to be able to wipe it down between sessions while at work and only deep clean once a day. The tender care lanolin cream stuff is super nice in the first few weeks as well. 

I love Medela. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • eleven_eleven_ member
    With my first pregnancy, I bought a Medela pump and found it to be lacking. The second time around, I rented a hospital grade breast pump for a year which the insurance paid for. I could pump the same amount of milk in half the time. 

I liked the Lansinoh bags, but I had better luck with the Target brand bags. The Lansinoh bags sometimes had leaks because they are a little thin. The Target bags are a little thicker.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @sweetyjenj I made my own hands free bra too, just cut holes where my nipples were :wink:

Also, I got to the point where i could rig my target nursing tanks to sort of support the pump flanges so I didn't have go change bras before pumping at work. Definitely a useful life hack for the working breast feeding mom.

• Yes! I would use my bra and nursing tank top to hold the flanges. I would also tape the bag to the pump, until I started using the kiinde bags. Expensive but so, so worth it. 
    • Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice: I am a SAHM so I didn’t pump a ton.
    • Favorite [Breast Pumps and Accessories: I had the Spectra S2.
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I’m not sure, insurance covered it.
    • What you like about it: It worked fine, I’ve never used any other ones so I don’t have anything to compare it to.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: It’s harder to get accessories for than the Medala. Like there aren’t as many options for different flange sizes unless you get an adapter to use other pump accessories.
    • Additional thoughts on [Breast Pumps and Accessories]?: Something I didn’t consider was that the standard flange size that comes with the pump might not fit well. I ended up getting new ones that were smaller and fit me better which made pumping a little more effective and comfortable.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice: I work full time, normally 8:30-5, have a private office. I organize special events so my schedule can be wonky and I can be out of the office often,
    Favorite [Breast Pumps and Accessories: With DD, I have the Medela Pump in Style Advance (PISA), covered by my health insurance 100%. I ended up getting another one donated by a friend who couldn't use it to keep at work. I still have both. 
    What you like about it: Medela is everywhere. Replacement parts and pieces all over Target, Walmart, Amazon etc. Their customer service was amazing when I had issues. They have different size flanges (which I'm sure other brands do) since you know, not all nips are the same, and I had to get a different size from the standard which made pumping so much easier and better. 
    What you don't like about it, if anything: It's loud and slow. I'm not sure if I'm a slow producer because DD always nursed for at least 30 minutes at a time and it took me at least 45 minutes to pump what I needed. However, I did use a hospital grade pump while my SIL was in labor because they had a pumping room they let me use. It literally took half the time. 
    Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Everyone says amazing things about the Spectra. I want to see what my insurance covers this time. I'm considering trying that if it makes it easier. 
    Additional thoughts on [Breast Pumps and Accessories]? I bought Milkies storage trays that freeze the breastmilk in 1 ounce cubes and then I stored 16 ounces in a quart size freezer bag (then put a couple of those in a gallon freezer bag to help prevent frostbite). Quart sized freezer bags are cheaper than breastmilk bags. I liked that I could get the exact amount I needed out of the bag without thawing the whole thing if I didn't need it. I think they are $20 for a set of 2 (I got 4 total) and it was worth every penny. I had close to 1000 ounces stored in the freezer at one point and it just made my life a little easier.

If you decide to go with actual breastmilk bags, don't fill them all up to full capacity. Have some with just 2 or 3 ounces and a variety of amounts, that way you can thaw what you need and not have to thaw a full 6 ounce bag if you only needed 2 more ounces.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice: I worked full time and breastfed DS for 12 months. I needed a pump that would be a soldier since I was using it 4x a day. 
    • Favorite [Breast Pumps and Accessories: Pump: Medela PISA 
    • Accessories: Freemie cups, Medela hand pump, and a pump bag to take to work
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): it was covered by insurance 
    • What you like about it: like someone else said, the parts are widely available (and you WILL forget a part one day). I was able to get an adapter for the car, and I pumped to and from work every day. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: It started giving out during the last month or so. 
    • Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: There’s a breastfeeding group I’m in on Facebook that raves about the Spectra, so I would like to give that one a try this time if my insurance covers it. 
    • Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I hated nursing tanks, and I didn’t really hate it, but the haakaa didn’t work for me. 
    • Additional thoughts on [Breast Pumps and Accessories]?: If you’re going to be pumping a lot, get the Freemie cups. They’re cups that replace the typical flanges and bottles and you don’t have a to wear a pumping bra to keep them up (you can find them on Amazon).
    • I used my hand pump a lot on the weekends. I would nurse DS on one side and pump with the hand pump on the other. I was a “just enough” pumper, so anything extra was helpful to build up a freezer stash. 
    • I never had any leaking or problems with the Target brand milk storage bags. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Also, just throwing this out there:

A friend of mine won a drawing where she could try out a Medela Sonata pump right after it was released. She loved it so much that she bought it (for the full price). She previously had a Medela PISA, and said the Sonata was SO much better. It was quieter and genteler. It’s $400, so I doubt it would be fully covered by insurance. I haven’t heard about this pump aside from my friend, so I thought I’d share her review. 

• S+TMs: 

• Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice: I work at different locations, so I have to carry my pump withe everyday. Also, some places didn't always have convenient outlets, so a battery powered pump was huge.
    • Favorite [Breast Pumps and Accessories]: I used Spectra S1 and loved it. I also bought a Sarah Wells pump bag, and it has held up really well for how often I used it. I also got a lunch bag that has ice packs at the walls of the bag, so you put the whole thing in the freezer. It worked so much better than just using an ice pack, my milk stayed cold all day in that instead of having to use a fridge.
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): My insurance covered most of it, but I paid $90 to upgrade from the S2 to the S1, which was battery operated.
    • What you like about it: I didn't need an outlet (also awesome for pumping in the car), it was fairly quiet, it had a lot of settings so you could play around to find what works best
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: it was kind of big, so harder to find a bag that it fit in well
    • Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: No
    • Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: The Mendela hands-free pump bra didn't work with the Spectra parts. I've also tried other hands-free pump bras, and it wasn't worth the hassle in my opinion. I used the Kiinde system occasionally, but I didn't find it any more convenient than pumping into bottles and a lot more expensive.
    • Additional thoughts on [Breast Pumps and Accessories]?:
  • Started with a Medela PISA (pump in style advanced) the first time and hated it, so I bought a Spectra (the one with the chargeable battery). So much better. It should still work, but I’ll probably buy all new attachments for it because if those have gotten gross sitting around it won’t work as well.
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• @saltedcaramel518 you reminded me!

I had the car adapter and pumped while driving a ton. It was SO HELPFUL to not be "stuck" only pumping at home or at the office. I could literally pump anywhere. I had 2 sets of parts, which made it easy. I also got the parts wipes so I could sanitize parts in my car (though usually I just put them in a bag to clean later and used my second set of parts the next time I pumped that day).
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • @eleven_ do the Target BM bags freeze flat? That's the reason I liked the Lansinoh over the Medela. 
  • eleven_eleven_ member
    @CoastieGirl79 I did like that about the Lansinoh bags as well. Since the Target bags are a lot thicker, I don't think they freeze as flat. I don't recall ever getting a leak with them though so I was willing to deal with it. 
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @eleven_ I remember leaks with Lansinoh. I'll have to test out the Target bags. Thanks for the info. 
  • I had a Medela PISA last time. That’s what my insurance covered so I didn’t have a choice but I liked it well enough. I don’t know what/if my insurance will cover this time around (different insurance) but I am willing to pay OOP for something if I want it. 

Things I would definitely recommend are an extra set of bottles/parts. That saved me from having to wash everything every day. I liked the Lansinoh bags and personally never had a leaking isssue. I would also recommend freezing in different amounts.

i also would 100% recommend a single manual pump. It was great for those times that you just needed some relief but didn’t need/want to break out the electric, or in case of emergency. I didn’t use it a ton but I’m glad I had it for those few times. It was like $20 so a good investment.
  •  I exclusively pumped with my 3rd baby (long story as to why) and I found that Lansinoh storage bags and Target brand storage bags were the only good ones. It was heartbreaking to lose valuable milk to leaky bags. Especially when I didn’t realize it was leaky until I was thawing it and the hot water turned all milky and the whole bag was lost. 
  • With my first I had a Medela PISA that I paid for because insurance did not cover it yet. The battery died and I used a Medela freestyle with my second. I liked it but it was not as powerful as the medela PISA. I stayed home for most of the first year with both so I only needed to pump as necessary. I really want to try the Spectra. I am a part of a BFing group that raves about Spectra (especially for working moms) and I want to see how it compares to the PISA. I also liked the Lansinoh bags. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For S+TMs: I started woth a medela PISA then changed to a Spectra S1. Life changing. Will never got woth another pump again.

• Lifestyles/body factors that might influence your choice: larger breasts/nipples that required larger flange size. Exclusively pumping and trying to do so on baby's schedule (hands free and mobility were essential)  Needed a hospital grade pump the could go anywhere/anytime (travel frequently for work) and had a built in battery for use unplugged and without access to car charger (8 hour plain ride) 
    • Favorite [Breast Pumps and Accessories: medela easy expressions bustier and elomi nursing bras. If you are heavy/large breasted all the t-shirt/string tie/hole cutting in the world is not going to give you the hands free support you need to avoid getting milk. Everywhere. 
    • Link/picture:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DBKFFJM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1528048103&sr=8-3&keywords=s1+spectra
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): insurance will cover $110 of my s1 this time and I'll pay the rest. Got my first one on Groupon for $150 as a second pump to replace my PISA.
    • What you like about it: we had supply issues caused by Herb's palsy and switched to pumping at 11 weeks due to slow weight gain. this was the only pump that kept my supply up and even helped build it close to what DDdrank (we always needed to supplement some). It has a built in battery that lasts 8 20-minute pumps when charged. Soft night light. Bottle holder. Adjustments for both vacuum speed and pressure.  I referred to it as my Aston Martin.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: only takes spectra or avent wide mouth bottles neither of which my daughter could use so there was a lot of transferring. We were never at a point were we could store and freeze so I don't know if it would have worked with bags.
    • Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: 
    • Is there a [Breast Pumps and Accessories] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: bottle warmers for exclusive jumpers- a large cup of warm water does the same thing for free. Cheap/unstructured hands free support devices- I am a plus sized mom with 38EE girls so Most of the cheapie stuff left me covered in milk. 
    • Additional thoughts on [Breast Pumps and Accessories]?: get your pump early and try on the flanges to make sure your nipples aren't rubbing against the sides. If you naturally have large nipples/areola it is highly likely the 24mm flanges will be too small. This was NOT covered in nursing class and using the wrong size flange (too big or too small) can cause a lot of discomfort and effect milk expression. 
  • I had a Medela PISA. Only pumped for about a month and felt it was only ok. Everyone I know who has the PISA and a Spectra (S1 or S2 - only difference I’m aware of is one can be battery powered) said getting the Spectra was a life changer and they would never go back. I definitely plan on going with the Spectra this time if my new insurance covers it (so much regret for not taking the Spectra last time).
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• Reviving this thread since I wasn't on the board at the time :-)

Has anyone tried or thinking of trying the Willow pump that pops up on my Facebook feed all the time?

I had a crappy pump with DD1- my insurance wouldn't cover an electric pump and I was being cheap and didn't want to spend a ton of money- big mistake! I don't even remember what it was; I expressed milk but it seemed clunkier than what others have mentioned about their pumps.

I did have a manual pump which I used sometimes, when I was away from home and felt full but didn't want to do a full pumping session. It actually worked better than my electric pump!
  • I think the Willow seems cool but pricey and it only holds 4 oz. Apparently it stops after 4 though so it doesn't overflow. I would definitely do more research. I often pumped 5 oz on one side and 4 on the other, sometimes more. If my insurance covered it though, itd probably consider it!
  • mrsmangmrsmang member
    edited September 2018
    When do people normally order breast pumps through insurance? Is that something I should be doing now?  Does insurance put restrictions on how early you can order or anything like that?
  • @mrsmang I signed up on Aeroflow.com. They’re sort of a middle man between your insurance and you. They contact your insurance then will give you the options on what they’ll cover. 

With DS, I couldn’t order a pump until so many days out from my due date (I can’t remember if it was 60 or 90 days). I’ve already contacted them for this pregnancy, and they’ve sent me the info on ordering a pump, but i plan on waiting until closer to my due date. 

• @saltedcaramel518 perfect, that’s great to know!  I’ll check it out!
  • @mrsmang my insurance window is 30 days before due date. But using the "middleman" they provided (Edgepark Medical Supplies) I went ahead and placed my order and they'll just email me to remind me when that date comes. (I have UnitedHealthcare if that helps)

Andrea -- FTM at 39!

• wkuandrea said:
    @mrsmang my insurance window is 30 days before due date. But using the "middleman" they provided (Edgepark Medical Supplies) I went ahead and placed my order and they'll just email me to remind me when that date comes. (I have UnitedHealthcare if that helps)
    I also have UnitedHealthcare and will likely order through Edgepark...just curious which pump you decided to go with?
  • Thanks @molosmiles

I wasn't aware of the 4 oz bags; I honestly can't recall how much I pumped with DD1- I can imagine it would be annoying to be pumping and then have to change bags all of a sudden- especially since I was interested in for when I have to pump while driving!

I'm going to call my insurance company today- I wasn't even thinking about a window!
  • Has anyone used the actual freemie pump (not just the cups that attach to a different pump)? I'm getting a Medela Pump In Style and a Spectra S2 from my sister, so I'm considering ordering the freemie as my free insurance pump..
  • @KLS123 after talking to a few people (and reading through comments here!) I decided on the Spectra S2. I'm a FTM and have no clue what I'm doing, but the things people tell me make sense? (It's more powerful, quieter, pumps more in less time, it's a closed system so doesn't get moldy as easily, etc).

Andrea -- FTM at 39!

• @wkuandrea I was leaning toward the Spectra S2 as well (also a FTM that will be semi-exclusively pumping once I go back to work full time). I would love to have the mobility of the battery powered S1 but I don't think UHC covers it and from what I can tell it's an extra $135 "upgrade" fee. So I will likely go with the S2 and get the Maymom rechargeable battery pack to "hack" it.
  • I'm probably going to copy you guys and get the spectra s2 if my insurance covers it.  Ive been meaning to look into this but it felt to early maybe I need to get my butt in gear!
  • @wkuandrea and @galactickates the main downside I have heard on the Spectra S1 and/or S2 is that it's bulky and doesn't fit in a lot of the standard totes made for breast pumps so that's something to consider if you have to lug it back and forth from an office everyday.
    The below link has some good options but they are pretty pricey. I'm almost inclined to just buy a second S2 used (since it's a closed system) so I can have 1 and home and 1 at work and forgo the $150 spend on just a freaking tote bag. 

https://livingwithlowmilksupply.com/spectra-breast-pump-bag-for-spectra-s1-s2
  • Also a FTM here and think I may go with the S2 as well. Did people also get a hand pump for emergencies? Did you also carry that with you? Any recommendations?
  • I’ve been planning on getting the S2 as well. Again, FTM so I have no actual experience. My office also provides a Medela Symphony or something like that - a multiuser hospital grade pump and gives each mother their own set of parts. I’m thinking I will experiment between those and see if it’s worth carrying mine in or just using the one here. 
  • I know I already posted but I wanted to kind of update with the current topic...

I have two Medela PISAs from my DD and I've kept them. They are both still working (or they were less than a year ago). I plan to get the Spectra S2 through insurance this time. Once I go back to work, assuming my Medela is still working, I will take the Sepctra to work and use the Medela at home. I think I pumped twice a day at home (in the am from the side DD didn't nurse from and right before bed both sides), but pump 3-4 times at work.

A girl I know who breastfed and pumped with both her babies used Medela with the first and Spectra with the second and highly recommended the Spectra.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @kerryann124 I highly recommend having a manual on hand. I kept mine in my purse just in case. There was a day I forgot my pump for work but had the manual to use as a back up. Some people even prefer the manual. Whichever brand pump you get, I'd recommend getting the same brand manual since the parts are interchangeable. I used the Medel aHarmony and will again.
    BabyFruit Ticker