January 2019 Moms

Smell and struggling with eating?

bb2510bb2510 member
edited May 2018 in January 2019 Moms
Edit: Sorry, didn't realize we shouldn't make new threads about symptoms...new here and learning. :smile:

Hi there,

Anyone else struggling to eat? I'm 6 weeks along. This week I'm not exactly facing MS yet, but my sense of smell is so acute that any food I am able to smell immediately makes me nauseous and gag. Sometimes right after I put food into my mouth (even fruits and veggies) I have to lie down because I get nauseous from that too. I'd really like to be able to eat somewhat normally because it's interfering with my days. I'm having difficulty going to the bathroom at this point too, and eating is the only thing that keeps my mood swings at bay and gives me energy for work. Any advice on what helped you through this phase would be appreciated! 

Re: Smell and struggling with eating?

• Hi there. I had had aversions ans nausea with my last pregnancy. It hasnt been so bad for me this time, but here are things I remember.

Cold things have less smell - yogurt, cold fruit, etc. I lived on yogurt during my pregnancy (I was sick almost the whole 40wks)

Dry, bland crackers (saltines, etc) have almost no smell and helpws reduce nausea for me.

Always try to have a little food in your stomach, don't worry too much about WHAT it is, whatever your body tolerates at this point.

Good luck!
  • bb2510bb2510 member
    Thank you! I will try these, especially that rule about cold things. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I’ve been having the same thing. Sometimes I throw up, sometimes I don’t but I gag continuously, and have had extreme nausea. Some days it last all day and others I can manage to eat a bit. I do find laying down helps. I also where sea bands, which do seem to help, and I munch on Cheerios before I get out of bed in the morning. Weeks 5 and 6 were the worse. I’m currently 7+2 and the past to days I actually was able to eat a few meals...although the low grade nausea was with me all day. 
    TTC #1
    Endo Stage IV
    Lap 9/11/2009
    IUI 1st Cycle Canceled
    IUI 2nd Cycle Failed
    New RE: RMACT
    BCP 2/6/2018
    Hysteroscopy to remove polyps 2/16/2018
    IVF #1 3/5/2018- Menopur + Follistim + Ganirelix, HCG + Lupron Trigger
    ER- 3/18/2018- 11 retrieved, 9 mature, 4 made it to blast. 
    PGS- 3 normal
    FET #1- 4/25/2018
    WE ARE PREGNANT!! Due 1/11/2019
  • 100% this is me. It's on and off now (I'm 7+4) but I mostly have no desire for food. I've found smoothies work well to pack in some nutrients but not have to smell or cook anything. 
    #1 EDD 01/10/19; Team Green!
    TTC #1 since 01/16; Unexplained IF; Low AMH; Conceived naturally
    Married 11/12; Dating 05/05
    Me: 36  DH: 37

• bb2510bb2510 member
    I feel you on the constant low grade nausea. I have heard about the sea bands...might try it. I’m glad it’s a little better for you now! 
  • bb2510bb2510 member
    Was just thinking a smoothie would really help...