September 2018 Moms

Team Green Roll Call/Support

Since we are exiting the thick of AS time, how many of us are left? Did anyone cave in? Holding strong? Thought it would be fun to see how many of us there are!

Re: Team Green Roll Call/Support

• Loading the player...
  • Team green here!! This one is bugging me though. We had a level 2 ultrasound instead of a normal one like last time. Last time they could just cruise over and it was NBD that we didn't find out and they had no need to know. This time they "had to document it for medical purposes" and it somewhat bugs me that someone knows. 
  • @patience7150 Interesting how different clinics do things differently. For this one, the poor tech had me get all covered up/wiped off at the end and totally forgot to do the genital check because she was so preoccupied with NOT showing anything! I asked why they check at all and she said it's just to document genitals are visualized. They don't care what you're having, either! It's more to make sure there's no obvious abnormality. She said they assign a number to your chart so that the word male or female isn't visible anywhere, and that my providers wouldn't accidentally slip. I'm not sure what my old OB practice did for DS, but my docs were adamant that they were not privy to the sex at all my appointments. Interestingly enough, my current practice doesn't offer 3D US's but my old practice did. Kinda bummed...I wanted to compare 36 week face pics to see if the siblings look alike in utero!

I know what you mean though...SOMEONE out there knows, even for a moment! It's weird.
  • That was totally how I felt with the NIPT... @Patience7150 @Wishilivedinflorida Somewhere out there there is a piece of paper in a report showing the sex of our baby, but <i>we</i> don't know! So irritating! LOL and then to add insult to injury, I was told that it was basically medically necessary because I'm an old-lady pregnant, only to find out, of course there's still two hundred bucks OOP for the Materni21.  Gah!!!  I didn't really even want the damn test in the first place!
  • I'm team green still. I've had my anomaly scan and managed to keep it a surprise and as I live in the UK I won't have another scan now unless they think there might be a problem. So it's unlikely I'll find out until baby arrives.
  • cornichonmamcornichonmam member
    edited May 2018
    @BusinessWife I don't understand how it can possibly be of any medical value to find out the sex unless there is a known inherited genetic specific condition in the family. It sound like there being awkward to me.
  • @cornichonmam When they do the maternit21 / harmony tests, they generate a map of the chromosomes to look for trisomies etc.  So it's moreso just to say yes, we have a normal 46xx or 46xy (female or male).  It's also possible to have an extra x sex chromosome, 47xxx or 47xxy, so finding out the sex sort of just a by-product of checking to make sure the right number of chromosomes are present.

We did have prior genetic testing and were found not to be carriers of any of the 100+ diseases they screen for, but they still told me because of my age, they recommend the NIPT.  So that's why I am annoyed to still be getting a bill. (I will call the insurance to see if there's anything that can be done, or any good explanation.)  But tbh, knowing it's still costing us $200 OOP, (despite the "recommendation), I think we just might skip it for further LOs.  We'll see.
  • Still strongly Team Green after our AS 5/3!! My mom and sister are DYING to know, but me and hubby are waiting it out until the big day comes. 
  • Team Green all the way here! 
    Ive fallen off the Bump map though...life is busy right now! 
  • samd6samd6 member
    We had our 20 week scan and are holding strong! While it is tempting sometimes, I am looking forward to the surprise! We will get another scan at 24 weeks (not sure why, although I am on blood thinners, I am not labeled as "high risk" to my knowledge.) and I am sure they will ask AGAIN if we want to know.
  • StephieMickStephieMick member
    edited May 2018
    Had our AS 5/3 and holding strong with Team Green!! Absolutely cannot wait for the biggest and best surprise of our lives. <3