October 2018 Moms
Options

Still no weight gain!

I’m 14w+ 5 days and still only gained about a half a pound! I’m eating and snacking but nothing! My doctors are NOT concerned because technically I am overweight anyway - started out 161 & I’m 5’4.

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat and not gaining yet?! 

Re: Still no weight gain!

• Options
    I'm 14 weeks today and still losing weight at this point. 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy, I was overweight and then diagnosed with GD. I ate a good amount, but it was the right kinds of foods, and so I ended up losing weight over the course of the pregnancy. My post-partum checkup weight was about 30 lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight. 

People who knew me were concerned about the weight loss, but it was a good thing, and I was closely monitored by my doctors. If your doctors aren't worried, you're fine. Its different for everyone.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy I lost 13 lbs and never made it back to my original weight until about halfway. This time around it’s been similar. I lost 10 lbs and I’ve gain about 6 back, but still under my pregnant weight. I’m similar in size to you.
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    edited April 2018
    I'm 14+6 weeks and I haven't gained anything either. I actually lost 5 lbs since my BFP. I don't even have any MS to account for it. I am 5'8 and 205 lbs right now. I was 230 lbs a year ago. 

I have PCOS and taking Metformin and will continue to..it helps regulate my insulin and makes me feel less hungry and will help with potential risk of GD

I also think (I don't know if scientifically proven) that maybe the baby takes a lot of what you eat and with the higher heart rate and your body changes your metabolism might be higher. If that makes sense? 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    They say that if you're over weight to begin with, that you will probably only gain 15-20lb. And that you dont gain much in the first trimester.

Now, I'm 5'3" and started at 220 and I've gained 8lb so far. I'm not thrilled, but also not stressing.

All that matters is that you're eating well and taking care of yourself. If you're drs aren't worried, I wouldn't be either.
  • Options
    I’m almost 14 weeks and also haven’t gained weight, my tummy is also measuring less then it ever has since getting pregnant
  • Options
    I’m the same way at 14 weeks.  Technically overweight.  I figure it’s probably better that way since us overweighters are supposed to gain less.  As long as I’m not starving myself ( which I’m not which is why I’ve been surprised of my lack of weight gain).  I’ve also made sure not to eat “ for two” but just added when needed or when feeling those awful hunger pangs. 
  • Options
    mommy2anemommy2ane member
    edited April 2018
    I still have leftover baby weight from my other kids so I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been. But with this pregnancy and my last, the nausea and  vomiting, I’ve lost weight in the first trimester. With my daughter it was about 5 lbs. This time around it’s 3 lbs so far. I’ll gain soon though! I did with my daughter and ended up gaining 20 lbs total

Edited because I hit the button before I was finished. 
  • Options
    I’m 16 weeks and still the same weight, maybe +1lb depending on the day. I was technically normal BMI pre-pregnancy, but jut a hair below overweight. At my obgyn appt last week they didn’t mention any concern about it. I’m guessing I should only “need” to gain ~25lbs by the end of the pregnancy to be at a healthy weight for baby. I’m sure I can easily blow that number out of the park though if I’m not careful! 

I’m glad you asked the question, I was a little concerned my weight had not changed yet.
  • Options
    Yep. No need to worry unless your drs are worried. I’m down 10lbs since my BFP, which is exactly the same as what’s happened with my previous pregnancies. I was so worried when this happened with my first pregnancy, but the scale turned around when I was about 16 weeks and I wound up gaining the normally.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    14 weeks tomorrow here. I'm with you- overweight and have lost a little bit. My doctors are not concerned and I am definitely not hungry! Someone else said it, but I look at it as a  positive since people overweight are supposed to gain less anyways. :)
  • Options
    16W2d.  I started at 5’3”, 225. I’ve lost 4lbs, which had me a bit freaked out, but not my doctor.  (Appt two days ago.)

I also don’t really want to eat, nothing sounds good except french fries.  So, I’m trying to eat sensibly, and not skip meals.  Lunch yesterday was peanut butter and bananas with some baked Lays.  I know my daily calorie intake is lower than prepregnancy, but at the same time I’m not going to force myself to eat just because I am pregnant.  I’m taking my prenatals, my body isn’t giving me low blood sugar signals, and baby is a parasite anyway.  

I also know at some point in the next month or two this will turn around and I’ll ne on the couch surrounded by pizza and ice cream...
  • Options
    Since everyone has thoroughly answered this is normal and common, im going to be the grouch who asks why this is necessary to post? I'm not trying to be a brat but i have a unique history in regards to this that gives me some self reflection. My body has revealed a pattern, with one sex I gain in the 1st tri and the other I lose weight until 2nd tri despite very similar symptoms. Was I "proud" of myself when I didn't balloon up right away during that pregnancy? Yes. And it was total bullshit. Because I had zero control over it. Now I'm growing the opposite sex again, bloated, gaining weight despite eating decently and exercising and I feel shitty as if it's my fault. It's not. If you're feeling positive about what your body is doing based on weight I'm happy for you, I just don't see the benefit of discussing weight gain. Ever. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was losing during first trimester, now I'm 16 weeks tomorrow and I've gained those lost 2 pounds back plus 3 friends! I go to doctor Tuesday, but that seems normal enough. I'm a FTM so I was alarmed I wasn't gaining at first, but that seems to have evened out. So we'll see. 
  • Options
    @knottieamusements I'm actually not intending to call anyone out for engaging the conversation. Someone put it out there so it's fair game and I get that. I'm using my experience not to say hey this is uncomfortable for me, but to say from my personal experience having seen this type of post through multiple pregnancies and even done it before myself (bows head in shame), that it's a form of attention seeking. If a doctor has assured you it's fine I don't see the point in asking others if it's happened to them (subtext, if your doctor isn't worried, it means it happens all the time). I'm quite confident in my health, size, shape and my bodies ability to grow and "bounce back," and yet still believe that this sort of discussion toes the line of body shaming and perpetuating unhealthy discussions based in comparison to others. 

Ill stop now. Just saying I'm not down with this version of sharing in the journey of pregnancy. 
  • Options
    If your doctor is not concerned, then no need for you to be. They know your specific situation best. Everyone’s weight changes differently through out pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I agree with @knottieamusements and @DunkinDecaf.
    I also think by making it a post on it's own it allows for people to either read it/ participate in or not - instead of throwing it in the Randoms thread where people like yourself @mariek312 who might not want to read it, don't have to.
    As a FTM I am concerned I am losing weight, because it isn't talk about or isn't deemed normal. I don't see it as attention seeking if you are genuinely concerned and asking for similar stories. 

We have all talked about weight gain before and nothing was brought up then to say we shouldn't. I think as we get further into our pregnancy perhaps talking about weight might seem more of a faux pas because everyone will be at different rates, but at this stage there is still lot of doubt and curiosity as to why some women aren't gaining much weight in their first trimester I think it is comforting to know that other women are going through the same thing.
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    And FWIW, with DS I was still under my starting weight by 20 weeks. OB ha no issue with it, but DH was panicing. He started tracking all my food and making sure I was eating enough calories every day. By third tri, I started gaining weight much more quickly without doing anything different. I ended up gaining a total of 30-35lb, so at the upper end of the recommended range. And most importantly, DS’s growth was just fine the whole time. I’m sure I would have been just fine without DH pushing weight gain during second tri. This time I’m much less worried about it. My OB has also told me she’d be totally fine if I only gained 20-25lb this time (and I started out at a healthy weight, less that I started at with DS). I think the majority of people’s bodies do what they need to on their own. 
  • Options
    Lucky you
  • Options
    Don't want to send the message of ignoring anyone so just acknowledging that i read responses and respect that no one agrees with me. Perhaps I've seen the way this plays out too many times to give the benefit of the doubt. The topic doesn't make me uncomfortable which is why I chose to read it and share my piece, so I'd much rather people choose to agree to disagree with me that imply what I feel and tell me not to comment as a result. We are allowed to disagree and share opinions that differ and choosing instead to dismiss my perspective is not very open or respectful. 
  • Options
    I am a fat girl (just into Obese category from BMI) - I have not had morning sickness but have lost weight. Not much but I have lost. I have a Dr. appointment next week and I will for sure be checking to see that everything is still good. I am happy I have not gained but the health of this baby is most important AND I know I will gain at some point and I am ok with it. Will I make sure my Dr. keeps an eye on it? You bet! 
  • Options
    mariek312 said:
    We are allowed to disagree and share opinions that differ and choosing instead to dismiss my perspective is not very open or respectful. 
    First, I apologize for reading discomfort into your comments when you weren’t trying to communicate that.  I understand that as someone who has spent an extensive amount of time on pregnancy forums, your perspective is different than mine. 

That said- nobody is telling you that you can’t disagree or dismissing your perspective. The fact is that by failing to recognize that for some of us, this process is new, and what is happening to our bodies is not what we expected, you are making me feel like my perspective is not important.  (I can’t speak for the other ladies, but I doubt my reaction is unique.)

I understand that weight can be a touchy topic for many people, but the subject line of this post should be enough warning for anyone who doesn’t want to participate in the discussion.  Simply talking about one’s personal experience is not body shaming- especially in the tone that the posters above have used.  (I reserve judgment for future posts, because every conversation is different.) 

• Options
    I am technically obese too, PCOS makes it really hard for me to lose weight. I started out pretty heavy and have actually lost 25 pounds due to food aversions and just plain old hormones. I am afraid of getting sick so I have fought the nausea HARD. Otherwise I would have probably lost more. This time since there is 2 I am not sure if I should be more concerned or not but my OB isn't.

I did this with my first but not near as much, more like 10 pound then I just stayed at the same weight until my 3rd tri. My OB at the time said I was likely losing weight still but since baby was gaining it leveled out. He wasn't worried.
  • Options
    I'm 16+1, and lost 6 lbs from BFP, I've gained 2 back in the last two weeks. I was really worried in the beginning, my doctor brought it to attention but didn't really say anything about it one way or the other. But my mom said she always knew she was pregnant because she would suddenly start losing weight for no reason, so that helped me to know this was sort of normal in my family. But I do think it's something not many people tall about, so I'm glad this is here for others who were concerned.
  • Options
    mariek312mariek312 member
    edited April 2018
    mariek312 said:
    We are allowed to disagree and share opinions that differ and choosing instead to dismiss my perspective is not very open or respectful. 
    First, I apologize for reading discomfort into your comments when you weren’t trying to communicate that.  I understand that as someone who has spent an extensive amount of time on pregnancy forums, your perspective is different than mine. 

That said- nobody is telling you that you can’t disagree or dismissing your perspective. The fact is that by failing to recognize that for some of us, this process is new, and what is happening to our bodies is not what we expected, you are making me feel like my perspective is not important.  (I can’t speak for the other ladies, but I doubt my reaction is unique.)

I understand that weight can be a touchy topic for many people, but the subject line of this post should be enough warning for anyone who doesn’t want to participate in the discussion.  Simply talking about one’s personal experience is not body shaming- especially in the tone that the posters above have used.  (I reserve judgment for future posts, because every conversation is different.) 

Is there a specific reason you've decided to be passive aggressive towards me in almost every reply?

I just call BS on the motivation behind posts related to losing weight. Same thing for post partum. I just see it how I see it. You clearly don't actually see my point and that's fine. I'm not here to challenge your position as ringleader so let's let it go. 

ETA that even though I'm annoyed I do thank you for apologizing for trying to name feelings for me that weren't my experience. 
  • Options
    @DunkinDecaf and yet we all survive
  • Options
    mariek312 said:
    @DunkinDecaf and yet we all survive
    Yes we do.  And I’m not sure how my comments directly addressing the fact that you are shaming us for sharing our experience are being passive aggressive.  

I’m also not sure why you think I am a ringleader.  

But whatever.  I had a friend who ran away to the circus in college.  I always admired him for that.  
  • Options
    I ended up losing about 7 lbs from my BFP at one point early in the first trimester. I started out around 168-169 lbs at 5'8", and dropped down to 161. For most of the 1st tri, I hovered around 163. I had a hard time eating enough because of the nausea, but now that it's dropped off, I've gained some back. I'm probably around 165ish now at 14w5d, but let's be honest, *TMI* some of that could be a poop baby.

Anyway, if your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be worried! As long as you are eating when you are hungry and getting enough fluids in, I think you're going to be ok. (Not a Dr, just my opinion).
  • Options
    chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited April 2018
    Sorry the ringleader comment made me chuckle, head tilt, and feel the need to gif. Because if you can rock it like BritBrit, you should rock it like BritBrit. 

• Options
    I too have PCOS and am obese. With this pregnancy I've gained 7 lbs so far and my OB is fine with that. With DS I didn't gain any weight until after 20 weeks and I only gained 10 lbs total with him. I had a different OB then but she was also fine with this. 
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Soooo just a thought, considering you do not need any extra calories in the first tri and your baby weighs only few oz and the end of the first tri wouldn’t it make sense that you don’t gain much. I mean hormones make our metabolism slow so that also explains weight gain, but it’s a bit early. 

ETA: Genetics. My mom had a friend who gained 80lb with each of her pregnancies (2 girls, 1 boy). There was nothing she could do, that was how her body adjusted. 
  • Options
    Yeah, weight gain doesn't usually happen until 2nd and 3rd trimester. I drop weight in the first trimester, likely from dropping wine and beer from my diet. 
  • Options
    Yeah, weight gain doesn't usually happen until 2nd and 3rd trimester. I drop weight in the first trimester, likely from dropping wine and beer from my diet. 
    I didn’t even think of that. I mean I’m usually pretty heavy on food aversions and hurling too, but I bet that accounts for at least some of my weight loss  :#
    BabyFruit Ticker