September 2018 Moms

Home renovations and buying/selling

Not exactly pregnancy related, but I’ve seen it mentioned in a number of randoms threads that some of us are dealing with these things! In the spirit of (at least done!) board members being ok with more topical threads I thought I’d start one. 

Hows it going? Any setbacks? Is it looking like things will be settled in time for the birth? 

Re: Home renovations and buying/selling

• Loading the player...
  • and and PSA - Sherwin Williams stores are having a big sale this Friday-Monday - up to 40% off on paints and stains!
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• .... we still need to commit to a plan amd consult our contractor friend to determine how to go about it... but most likely we will be installing a floor over our current cathedral ceiling and converting the giant awkward open loft master/laundry+ full bath. I want to get 3 bedrooms and a normal size bathroom upstairs. 

Current dilemmas: the master would have floor to ceiling windows but none of them open... I need fresh air somehow. The othet walls are the peak of the roof, so skylight or dormer, neither are idesl cost-wise. 

The plumbing is all centalized in a 6’ range, i need the washer and dryer to turn around and be in the bathroom rather than abutting it, but then there is no room for a shower...so plumbing is gonna hafta travel somehow.

oh and we need to refinish our whole main levels hardwood floors because I accidentally cleaned too much and stripped the finish, plus it’s old and has gaps. Whenever dd pukes (which is a lot) we wind up scaping it out from between boards. So not cool. I’m planning to live in our camper in the driveway for a while while we do it ourselves. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• @jhjocelyn that is a huge project! I can’t remember, are you trying to finish this before the new LO comes? What will it be like to live in your camper with DD? 

@nlc8424 yay for seeing progress today! It may be messy, but it also means the finished product is closer! 

I swear we will be dusting and vacuuming for the the next three years from all the dust created from putting in a new wall. The sheetrock dust is crazy! It’s like you clean and everything looks great and then come back 30 minutes later and it’s all white again. How is it still dusty a week later???
  • @klj0228
    We haven’t decided when we want to do it... dh is great at talking ideas and terrible at the actual making it happen. It’d really just a floor and couple walls? Maybe?  I keep thinking its no big deal.  

Being in the camper won’t be too bad, dd loves camping and we got one big enough to not outgrow...like ever... plus the house will be there if we need it. I’m hoping it’d be less than a week to do the floors? 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

• @klj0228 the dust gets in the furnace/ac units and just keeps getting pushed around the house. When you’re done making dust you’ll need to look into getting the filters for those cleaned as well as possibly the ducts. Now I turn everything off and seal off the intake vents before doing any drywall work, but I learned that trick the hard way. 
  • @nackie well I guess I now have learned the hard way too. I’ll get H to change the filters when everything is complete and then see about having the ducts cleaned too. At this point I have decided to just let the dust sit and I will clean it once a week.
  • @jhjocelyn that’s great you have a large camper and that DD loves camping...it would be like an adventure for her. You could probably do the floors in a week if you worked really hard. Not trying to discourage you, just want you to know it doesn’t always go as planned. Last weekend we were laying hardwoods in our closet and dressing room. H thought the closet would take an hour or so, but because the span was not very long and there were LOTS of strange cuts and corners it took us 7 hours. The bigger the span the easier it is because you are just putting longer lines of floor down at once. I usually lay the floor and H cuts the ends and staples it down. 
  • @klj0228 oh I’m used to dh taking twice as long as expected. Thankfully the square footage is small, it’s just also the whole level. We aren’t installin anything new just resanding, staining, sealing. He has family nearby that will help too so I’m hoping it will go smooth if not fast. 

• @jhjocelyn oh that is so nice! I must have read wrong, because I thought you were replacing the floors. I love that H is handy and we both love to DIY, but sometimes I want to just say let’s pay someone for this so it’s done faster. Really though, often the savings is worth it to DIY and it is such a bonding thing for us. 
  • @klj0228 I love that dh is handy too! My family is not at allllll. Dh is really good about being willing if the job is too much to pay someone,  which I really appreciate. We have a construction friend we will ask for advice before jumping into adding the floor upstairs. 

Dh and I actually make a terrible team most of the time. But we have found a good groove of dh working and me keeping dd out of the way, distractions down, things organized, food, drinks, etc. basically I protect his sanity so he can focus and work. Until I get in the way again and screw him up.  :D

• klj0228 said:
    I swear we will be dusting and vacuuming for the the next three years from all the dust created from putting in a new wall. The sheetrock dust is crazy! It’s like you clean and everything looks great and then come back 30 minutes later and it’s all white again. How is it still dusty a week later???
    Sheetrock dust is the worst!!!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!

• dexnie said:
    We are moving from NYC to San Diego in 11 weeks. Leaving almost everything behind. I’m itching to get in and get settled but it seems like we are still too far out to find a rental. It’s hard for me to plan inspo for a nursery not knowing what the interior will look like... 
    that sounds so stressful!  Good luck
  • @yosemite2018 glad to hear! We’re looking in North County for proximity to my husband’s job 
  • @dexnie that will be an exciting move! I hope it isn’t too stressful and you can find an awesome home with more space at a better price than where you are now.
  • Doing some searching/shopping today and holy cow the control freak in me is coming out lol. I feel so inept at this (which I'm really bad at dealing with), I have so many questions and am doing so much research. Part of me wishes we didn't start so soon so that I would have had time to pick things out and research ahead of time. 
  • @nlc8424 long term you will be happy you had time to look and do research. The hard part is once you make a decision stick with it, don’t go back later and start questioning it again. If you do, it will start with one thing but then that change will impact something else and it is a deep dark hole! 
  • So we are already overflowing our 2 bedroom condo but luckily we have 2 floors so at least some separation of space. I really would like to have more space but the thought of moving is daunting to me. We would have to sell first. The market moves so fast and all cash offers can make or break the deal. But selling first and moving into a short term rental before buying sounds worse than squeezing us all in here.  Plus, I love being in the city and would hate to lose the ability to get into the action without a drive. 
  • @BostonBaby1 we’re in at least roughly the same location based on your name, and we sold right after my daughter was born, and the market was so tough we lost out on multiple houses even though we had offered 100k over asking (I’m not exaggerating!). Literally every house sold the weekend it was on the market. No one would take you seriously until after our place was under contract, so we had to sell first (on the bright side, selling was super easy and we made a lot of money!). We ended up “homeless” for 11 days with a 3-month old baby...we split the time between 2 hotels and a friend of the family. But now that we’re in our “forever home” it was worth it! 
  • @klj0228 thank you, that is such solid advice applicable to so many things. We ended up ordering a double vanity (with a marble top, sinks, and full length mirror), bought our new tub and shower enclosure which contractor will pick up tomorrow, and also bought and brought home bath/shower faucets, sink faucets, toilet, light fixtures, and tile. Even though I was majorly stressed while researching and figuring out what was available at our local store, it was well worth spending all morning doing this research since it went relatively smoothly once we got to the store. Finished our night off with dinner out too!
  • @MandyMost that’s insane, 100k over asking! Is that the norm? 

@nlc8424 congrats on making your selections! And the dinner out. 
  • @Lcardinal04 yes, at least 10% over asking seems to be the norm in and around Boston, a lot more if a house is priced low on purpose in order to generate a bidding war (which seems like a common strategy in this market, and how we ended up going that far over asking.) Basically, you have to only look at houses priced much lower that your max budget so you have room to bid over. 
  • BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited April 2018
    @MandyMost Did you move all of the baby items out of your previous home prior to selling? 

*eta - @Lcardinal04 It’s not unusual and definitely happens when a place is priced to sell. That’s why we feel we need to be in a position to make an all cash offer if possible. No mortgage contingency and a 10 day close can make a lower priced offer extremely attractive, particularly when the other offers are not 100% with contingencies. And also, it doesn’t mean we have all the cash to buy a home outright, it just means we have to shift everything around to temporarily do so. 
  • @MandyMost @BostonBaby1 that’s a crazy market. No contingency always makes things attractive to a buyer. Too many things fall through when it’s contingent on the buyers house selling or mortgage issues.

I went to an open house today about a mile from our current house. DH and I are back to discussing upgrading. Oye. It was interesting because the house I saw is our floor plan but had additions in a few areas, adding on like 1200 sq ft. Made a huge difference. I liked the realtor so thinking of having her look at our place so we at least know where we stand. I don’t want to move unless I find something we could actually be in for the long haul, so we need to know our options. This baby has us questioning everything over and over!
  • @BostonBaby1 we kept the nursery set up when we were selling, but cleaned up all the baby stuff elsewhere in the house. It’s funny, when we were originally house hunting pre-kids, almost every place we looked at had a nursery in the second bedroom, and 4 years after buying that’s exactly why/when we sold too! 
  • @MandyMost that's an insane market! We lost out on a couple houses when we were looking a few years back, simply because we couldn't make up our mind and get an offer in soon enough. We walked through our current home the day after it hit the market and put in a full price offer that afternoon. And then went back and forth after they tried upping their asking price  :# 

We're now 2 years into our 3 bed 2.5 bath home, and every room has been updated from the 1980's original state it was in. Fresh paint, 2 full bathroom remodels, original hardwood was sanded and re stained, built a bar and redid all the kitchen cabinetry, tiled the counter and kitchen floor. We fixed countless cracks in the walls from the house settling, and even a little bit of plumbing for the drain pipe that was about to burst into the bathroom. For the first time since we moved in (literally, we weren't even unpacked and he was laying new tile in the landing) I'm NOT living in chaos. 

Phase 2 is integrating the music studio into the downstairs living room (read: man cave), and making the upstairs living room more family/guest friendly. This opens up the upstairs bedroom (previously the studio) for new paint and we can move the nursery furniture in and get started on the nursery. Of course now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel I caught my H on Zillow 'just looking, I swear' :sweat: 

I definitely feel for all you ladies living among the chaos of home remodeling. It's so tough when you dig into something, have NO idea what you might encounter, and then have to live there as well! Add in other kids, pregnancy, pets, and life..its tough. I promise it's so worth it in the end. All the details were planned and picked out by us, not a contractor. And another thing we accomplished together. I loved our house when we bought it, but after each project gets completed it feels more and more like it's 'ours'. 
  • @tasha_ak I feel you on the home being in constant chaos. We bought our house 7 years ago and have done tons of things since moving in. Prior to us purchasing it the house was all floral wallpaper. Luckily the realtor had convinced them to take down the wallpaper and the walls were painted white so we have come through and painted many of the rooms. We also completely remodeled our kitchen including adding an island. I think our current project is our biggest one yet. Once it is done we will take a break for a little bit and enjoy each other and the baby. 
  • We ordered the counter for the new basement bar.  The only thing left is hanging the light fixtures, shelving in the storage closet and installing baseboards. Then its on to buying furniture.  I’m so excited to be almost done and able to move on to planning the nursery. 
  • The tile is going in the new bathroom tomorrow! This is the last big thing I’m stressed about, I think (and I don’t even know why). Fingers crossed that it looks great by tomorrow night, and that we bought all the right stuff for the tile guys!