December 2018 Moms

The Great Birth and Postpartum Advice Thread

Re: The Great Birth and Postpartum Advice Thread

• Don't be afraid to ask for more mesh panties. Don't throw them away. They are washable (this dummy threw hers away). Ask for help if you need it. 
    After i had Robert I had a huge hormone dump and cried for hours unstoppable for no reason and every reason. Its normal. 
    Post partum depression is real. If you feel yourself slipping ask for help. Its ok. Its normal too. 
  • I thought of something else. Post partum anxiety is a thing and I always get hit with it. Obsessing over and over about someone climbing a two story house to steal your baby is not normal and your provider is there to help! 

I have quite a few herbal tinctures that have saved my life.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • k_m10k_m10 member
    Wow, I love this thread!
    I have a question that might sound really weird but it’s a real fear of mine.
    Did anyone experience disappointment when finding out the sex of their baby? A friend of mine was team green but she really wanted a boy. Found out when the baby was born that it was a girl, and she told me she was disappointed. She got over it quickly.
    I want to find out the sex before birth, but I’m really scared I’ll feel that way. Is this a thing?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @katem987 I think in all but extreme cases, your excitement and love for the baby trumps any disappointment you might feel about gender. I do think that sometimes you have to grieve for what you won't have for a while. 

For me, I see the upsides of both. So... I'll be thrilled if this one is a boy, or if it's a girl. I'll also be a little sad for what we won't have, but that will be VERY short lived. 

If anything, I've found shopping for baby clothes makes everything better :D
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • k_m10k_m10 member
    That’s great advice, thank you! I feel like I’m paranoid about so many things already and I just found out today. 
    Personally, I think finding out the sex before birth will probably help me get used to the idea of either one. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @katem987 that's not weird at all! Gender disappointement is totally a thing, and it happens to a lot of us. It's possible you're spending all this time before you know building a picture in your mind of what you want things to be like, and if a piece of information comes along that means that picture isn't going to happen the way you envisioned it, it's natural to be disappointed. 

That said, I can vouch for the fact that once you've met the actual little person those chromosomes describe, it gets a whole lot tougher to picture things happening any other way. My husband was kind of bummed that our firstborn wasn't a son, but he and my daughter are the BEST of friends. 

One piece of advice: if you know you or your partner are likely to be bummed if things don't go as you hoped, a sex reveal party (especially one where you find out at the same time as your guests, and especially especially if your guests know that you have a preference) is probably not for you. Doesn't matter how pinterest-worthy you make it, it's gonna get awkward.
  • @katem987, on the flip side, it's a lot harder to be disappointed about the sex when you're holding something you love more than you thought possible. We were team green with my son, and while I was really hoping for a daughter, not one ounce of me would have had it any other way from the first second I saw him. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • PensiveCrayonPensiveCrayon member
    edited April 2018
    @katem987 Just pitching in my own experience here...I was secretly hoping for a boy and found out I was carrying a boy at around 20 weeks. And STILL I experienced some sadness for all the things I wasn't going to have (cute clothes, the ability to teach her important girl things) by having a boy! But like @runrinserepeat said, the sadness was very short-lived and I love my son very, very much.

And ETA: the daily reminder for @BumpAdmin to pin this post, please please please!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @katem987 I agree with the others that it definitely can happen but is usually short lived. My cousin has always for her whole life wanted a little girl. Well, as luck would have it, she gave birth to 4 boys in a row. Even though I’m sure each time she felt a little twinge of disappointment it wasn’t her girl, she loves those boys fiercely and would not change how things turned out. She did recently finally get a girl. :) Anyway, the point is you’ll love that baby no matter what. I do agree that if you feel you might have some disappointment don’t do a gender reveal. Just finding out you and yh and having some time to process would be best.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Bump! @BumpAdmin can we get a sticky today?
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • All the advice here has been spot on! I'll add a couple things just from my experience that were big aha moments for me.

1. If you have an emergency c section, just realize the initial few days pain let's off.  Everyone kept telling me that you'll feel significantly better in two weeks and on the second day I had a crying meltdown with the nurse and told her I was going to make it with this pain for two weeks. She had had 3 c sections and said it always eases up on the third day and she was right. Probably helped that she upped my meds too haha. Long story short, it gets better.

2. You're going to fart a LOT after a c-section. Just own it.

3.  Get a band or something to support your middle. I just used my pregnancy one that's meant to cover your unbuttoned jeans from Target. It made such a difference. 

4. Trust your instincts and know that you are an amazing mom. The first few weeks I would agonize and guilt myself over EVERY decision. I need to feed him. Omg I fed him too much. He needs to sleep. He's not tired! 

5.  And breastfeeding. I would get so frustrated bc I would feed him for 30 minutes and think finally! He's full, we did It! And then he would just puke all of it up and want to go for another round. I was going crazy trying to figure out why he wouldn't keep the milk down.  Finally brought it up to the ped and she explained that he's just increasing my supply.  I think she called him greedy, in fact lol. So just hunker down and get ready for hours long feedings and to be covered in puke. In all honestly though, I can NOT wait to bf this new LO. It's frustrating in the moment, but so wonderful at the same time. 

I'm curious to hear anyone's experiences on VBAC?

• 5.  And breastfeeding. I would get so frustrated bc I would feed him for 30 minutes and think finally! He's full, we did It! And then he would just puke all of it up and want to go for another round. I was going crazy trying to figure out why he wouldn't keep the milk down.  Finally brought it up to the ped and she explained that he's just increasing my supply.  I think she called him greedy, in fact lol. So just hunker down and get ready for hours long feedings and to be covered in puke. In all honestly though, I can NOT wait to bf this new LO. It's frustrating in the moment, but so wonderful at the same time.
    Did you try eliminating anything from your diet? My son spit up all the time after feeding and we discovered he had a dairy sensitivity. Once I cut dairy out of my diet he stopped spitting up. I don't think a baby should be puking after every feeding... And a sensitivity doesn't mean allergic, cheese is one of his favorite things now at 2, and he drinks milk with no issues. His sensitivity cleared up around 4 months. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 I should have clarified that this only happened in the first 2-3 weeks of nursing. Once my supply was steady, he kept everything down. Rereading it I see it looks like months of doing that lol. 
  • @rocketmom88 okay gotcha, lol. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• I’d like to repeat some of what others said.

I only lost 10 pounds post pregnancy until after I stopped breastfeeding. I really regretted not being more careful with what I ate the last trimester.

When I breastfed, my son had a terrible latch/wouldn’t suck very well. Even with multiple consultations we had to use a shield for 5 weeks. Suddenly at 5 weeks a lightbulb went on and we were able to breastfeed easily afterwards without a shield. It was a tough 5 weeks but I was so glad I stuck it out. I told myself I would keep trying until six weeks so I was pretty close to quitting when the turn around finally happened.

I am kind of anxious by nature, and for me I loved having a Doppler for when I worried. Listening to the heartbeat gave me peace of mind. You have to be able to not freak out if you can’t find the heartbeat occasionally though because it will happen. It lasts a long time. Mine has been passed around to at least 4 friends/family members.

Baby #2
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby #1 - Future Big Brother - 4 Years Old
  • Birth plans are great, but things rarely go as planned. My water birth in a birth center became a semi-emergency c-section after 40 hours of labor, so be flexible.

Mesh undies and the belly binder are lifesavers post c/s! I wore mine for almost 6 weeks!

Hormones are crazy and will cause your emotions to go haywire!

Ask for help!!

Breastfeeding can be very challenging! Also, just because you bf does not mean your period will go away. Mine returned 6 weeks pp despite exclusive bfing.

If you feel something is off-ask! My son’s soft spot looked funny to me, but I was a FTM and assumed it was fine since the nurses didn’t mention it. After 6 weeks of breastfeeding/pumping hell and twice per week lactation appointments, an OT discovered that he needed to be realigned due to being stuck on my pelvic bone.
  • @AGK2015 My sister and I were talking about the princess yesterday. We were like oh that poor woman pushed out a baby and then had to get hair and makeup and walk out side to wave at press..... I could never be a princess
  • AGK2015 said:
    Y'all see how gorgeous Kate Middleton looked mere hours after plopping out the newest little prince? 

Yeah, you're not gonna look like that. Sorry.
    I really hate that she is forced to do that. Like makes me crazy.

Agreed that it's gross if forced. I'm hopeful that she sees that first look as part of a great family tradition instead of an onerous duty (the way some women view marital name-changes or dads giving daughters away--not for everybody, kinda icky if you think too hard about it, but things that some women really look forward to regardless), and that she's glad for the chance to get right back home to recouperate in comfort. Who knows?
  • It’s really the heels that get me. Easy enough to put on a dress. I assume someone’s there to do her hair and makeup with little to no effort on her part. But heels?? No thanks, sister.
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • I would actually have loved it if someone came in to do my hair and makeup (less so the makeup) before we busted out of the hospital. That kind of stuff does wonders for making me feel like a person again. My first postpartum hair wash was amazing. If someone else was massaging my scalp? Heavenly.
  • @AGK2015 She probably does feel loads better not being pregnant and having to deal with hyperemesis gravidarum anymore lol

Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Bumping because apparently this will neverrrrr get pinned. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Hi! FTM here. We just had our first US Wednesday and everything looks great. During the appointment we were asked if we want to do any first trimester screenings. I’ve read about them and neither my husband nor I have any genetic issues that run in our families. What do you think? Is it worth it or will it just freak me out and make me take more tests? I was leaning towards only the one that tests for Down Syndrome, but I’m not sure! What have y’all done?
  • @ccccaaatt in all my pregnancies I have never done any genetic testing. It all comes on what is important to you. Would you rather know early? Will it make you more or less anxious to test? Are their risks with the tests?

Something for sure you and you S/O should chat with your provider about.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ccccaaatt If it's the standard quad screening and you think you'll have anxiety, I'd maybe skip it because it has a higher rate of false positives than NIPT testing. But NIPT testing I'd be all for. Only because I'd find out my baby's sex very early on ;)
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @ccccaaatt I had the NIPT and I'm glad I did. It was a simple blood test and it gave me peace of mind that there were no chromosomal abnormalities, and we also got to find out the gender before the end of the first trimester. I also had a carrier screen done and as it turned out my husband and I both tested positive as carriers for the same deficiency (biotinidase deficiency, luckily it's not super dangerous/life threating as long as treatment is sought). While that was a bit of a downer, ultimately I'm glad that I know this is a possibility for my children and I think it has helped me better prepare for the future should this baby have it. I guess I'm the type that would rather get as much information as I can, good or bad. On the other hand, I refused an amnio with my first pregnancy because that does carry a small chance for miscarriage, but again that's just me. Whatever decision you make, it'll be the right one for you!    
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are skipping the testing because with two babies, they can't specify which one or both have an issue and, unless the were both girls, we wouldn't even be certain of the sex of each baby.  I just felt like it would leave too many questions for us.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• rosebud332rosebud332 member
    edited April 2018
    @ccccaaatt With my first, the only tests we did were for cystic fibrosis, which both parents would have to test positive for (I was negative) and spina  bifida because that was the only thing they would be able to do anything about, short of terminate the pregnancy. That was the right choice for us and we were low risk for everything anyway. It really is up to you on how it might impact your anxiety.

Eta: My bil is autistic so they were pushing us on the fragile x test a bit. But since we knew we wouldn’t terminate/do anything differently regardless of the outcome, we chose not to get it.
  • Here where I live (Brazil) the NIPT is super rare and expensive, and it is not legal to terminate a pregnancy unless in very specific cases, so I won't take it. But yesterday I took a simple blood test to find out the sex of the baby (it just searches for y chromossomes in the blood plasma). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. It has been super helpful for us in making our decision!
  • @Gwyneddlesliegrace how much iron is in them? Currently in the market for new iron supplement. 
    @runrinserepeat I’m currently taking (and like) MegaFood Blood Builder for iron (26mg) and have noticed no constipation issues. I also take MegaFood’s Baby and Me prenatal vitamin (have heard good things about them not causing nausea - but I didn’t really experience any nausea the time I got far enough along that I might have) and their Baby and Me probiotic (which I forgot this morning - the probiotic has to be refrigerated).
    About me:
    Married 6/18/16 (Me 42, DH 44), TTC #2
    ***TW***
    Natural BFP 8/10/16 --> mc our NIPT-normal little girl at 11w5d on 10/1/16 :(
    As of 12/2016:  AMH 1.42, FSH 6.1, AFC ~10
    Self-benched Nov-Dec 2016 for
    IVF #1 Jan-Feb 2017 (OCP, testosterone primed antagonist w/HGH - ER 2/2/17 - 12R, 7M ICSI'd, 3F, 0B)
    IVF #2 Mar-Apr 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 4/8/17 - 10R, 8M, 8F, 5B, 1 PGS normal)
    IVF #3 May-Jun 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 6/4/17 - 14R, 5F, 3B, 0 normal)
    **New RE**
    IVF #4 Sept 2017 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 9/28/17 - 33R, 18F, 10B, 4 PGS normals!)
    FET #1 (medicated) of one PGS normal 4AA XX 11/2/17 - Beta #1 11/11/17 (153), Beta #2 11/13/17 (324), mc at 5w1d on 11/19/17 :(
    IVF #5 Dec 2017 - Insemination of 9 frozen eggs from 2012 (8F, 1B, 0 normal)
    Jan 2018 - Natural cycle ERA (normal/receptive) & stimming for
    IVF #6 Jan-Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/3/18 - 17R, 6M, 4F, 0 blasts)
    IVF #7 Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/26/18 - 19R, 9M, 9F, 4B, 2 PGS normals)
    FET #2 Apr 2018 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 4AA- XX 4/5/18 - Beta #1 4/14/18 (67), Beta #2 4/16/18 (231)
    Rainbow baby girl born 12/16/2018 (via c-section, induced at 39 weeks)

-----
    TFAS!
    FET #3 Dec 2019 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 3BB XY 12/16/19 - Beta #1 12/24/19 (139), Beta #2 12/27/19 (482)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @runrinserepeat +1 for Megafood prenatal and iron.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • whaatwhaat member
    I'm just going to occasionally post something here when I think of it in a very disjointed way, sorry that it's not a neat few paragraphs.  The first thing I can think of is that after you have a baby you MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO TELL IF YOU HAVE TO PEE/HAVE PEED/ARE PEEING for like a day.  Sorry about it.  It does get better.
  • whaatwhaat member
    Oh I also was induced with ALL THE INTERVENTIONS and the internet made me afraid initially but it was actually chill AF and I would do it again in a heartbeat.