December 2018 Moms
Options

The Great Birth and Postpartum Advice Thread

PensiveCrayonPensiveCrayon member
edited May 2018 in December 2018 Moms
Bringing back a very helpful thread from my first BMB, it's the GIANT PREGNANCY/BIRTH/POSTPARTUM TMI THREAD! FTM's, ask any questions you can think of. STM's and beyond, chime in with any and all recollections you have about the process of growing and expelling a human child. Especially helpful may be the non-typical birth and postpartum experiences. As I myself can tell you, it's not all sunshine and roses (although fingers crossed for this go-round).

@BumpAdmin it would be lovely if you could sticky this pleeeeease.
Me: 31 | DH: 31
Together since 2003 | Married 2010
TTC #1 January 2016
BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018

Re: The Great Birth and Postpartum Advice Thread

• Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited April 2018
    Yes @BumpAdmin a sticky for this would be awesome!

Hmm, let's see, where on earth to begin. I think I'll just cover picking an OB, birth plans, labor and being induced for now (since that will be long enough!) and return to cover postpartum stuff another time!

#1 Choosing an OB - I actually went back and put this before labor because, if you go the OB route, the OB you choose and their approach determines a lot of what goes on in labor. I chose my OB because she has excellent reviews, she's experienced with AMA and high risk births and (this was very important to me) she does not rush into c sections. She is patient as long as the baby and mom are stable, and this ended up being a good thing for me and my labor situation! Overall, ask your OB a ton of questions and make sure you trust him/her and feel comfortable with their judgement and experience, because that matters a lot.

#2 Birth plans - Don't have a crazy strict birth plan. Definitely research and ask your OB a ton of questions, but I think it's best to have of a general idea about how you want things to go instead of a hard and fast PLAN THAT CANNOT BE DIVERTED FROM. Because things change, sometimes very rapidly and your safety and the safety of the baby are the most important things, not some ideal birth you had in your head. That said, do be an advocate for yourself (or have your husband or support person or doula or whoever) advocate for yourself when it is *safe* to do so. Like, don't overrule a doctor or nurse who says you or the baby are in trouble, but as long as things are going well and you and the baby are stable, advocate for yourself if you don't want an epidural, if you want to try longer if you're having failure to progress, etc. Thanks to my OB's support, I was able to advocate for myself that I wanted to keep trying for a vaginal birth after 25 hours of basically no progress, and it was fine because I was stable and baby was stable.

Related to this - go to birth classes with your husband and talk over labor a lot and make sure that he can be that rock and advocate for you that you need. If he can't (and no judgement, some husbands can't, due to fainting at the sight of blood or whatever) then get another person in there, whether it's your mom or best friend or a doula or what have you. It's important to have a strong support system. And research all types of birth, induction, c section, etc, because you really never know what you'll end up with!

#3 Being induced - Expect it to take a long time. If it doesn't, great, but if it does, you'll be prepared. My OB compared it to jump starting a car. You are not already in labor, so a lot of times it takes a WHILE to get it going. It will be much harder if you want to go med free if you have to be induced, because, at least in my case, I could not labor at home (obviously) and I couldn't get up and walk around at all. Once my water was broken the nurses wouldn't even let me get up to use the bathroom, I had to lift myself over a bed pan (at 41 + 1 weeks hahaha NO) or get a catheter, so I opted for the catheter and the epidural all at once. It is definitely possible to go med free with an induction, but it will take a lot more planning, practice and work because you could be laboring anywhere from 12 to 48 hours! (Mine was about 27 hours.)

#4 Don't be alone during labor - *TW this might be a bit scary and gross** After I got my epidural my blood pressure and heart rate crashed and I briefly lost consciousness. Once I was stable and awake again, my husband left to go update my mom and tell her I was okay and the nurses left as well. At this point, they had me lying flat on my back to get me to stay conscious. My body picked this exact time to vomit and I could. not. move. The epidural was too strong, I was too out of it to articulate that to anyone before they left, so when I started vomiting I couldn't even lift my neck or shoulders and I started choking on my vomit and couldn't breathe. Luckily, a nurse walking by saw me and yanked me up, but I irritated my throat so much that I coughed up blood for the entire rest of the time I was in labor. (This ended up being no big deal but it was scary and almost choking to death on my own vomit while I couldn't move was VERY scary.) So, try not to be left alone in the room. If you're about to be left alone due to some unforeseen circumstance, make sure you're feeling good and you have the call button for the nurses in your hand. **end TW**
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @PensiveCrayon OMG! I forgot about the night sweats!!!!!!!  
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    It's been a while, so I'm not really at-the-ready with a lot of advice. I'll just jump in here with a few things about my experience and answer any questions if people have them. 

My water broke spontaneously both times, both times while I was laying in bed. The first I'd been having contractions. The second, I woke up and thought, "huh, that felt just like when my water broke last time" and then gush. 

I gave birth at the hospital, but didn't have any meds (or as much as an IV). The first time, cool. The second time, I was so pissed. I drug my husband through Bradley classes with the first and apparently I convinced him too hard. I'm pretty apathetic about the whole med-free thing now, and will get the drugs if I want them this time (and DH will know that going in). 

Also, WRT choosing your OB, like @maureenmce said, I had a completely different experience. I literally never saw my OB while I was in labor, or really until the day after my kids had been born. She's great, but the doctors really had very little effect on my experience. Having my husband know what to do to keep labor moving, calm me down, how to rub my back - those were much more important for me in the end. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Okay I thought of a few more. Sorry for the continued novel!
    • If you're doing freezer food prep (as you should!) don't forget to make yourself a variety of meals. Dinners are great, but so are breakfasts and snacks. It should probably be consumable with one hand, so like, not soup. Breakfast burritos and sandwiches were great, as were pastries like scones and bars. 
    • If you're BF, set out a plate of food for yourself by your nursing station before you go to bed. I promise you you'll love Past You for having the foresight when you're starving at 2 a.m.
    • If you're like me and don't exactly know how to Mom (read: what to do when baby isn't sleeping, eating, or being changed), I would suggest taking a look at the Ages and Stages questionnaires (ASQ). You can find them online by googling. It might make you go a little batty dwelling on milestones, but it might also give you ideas for how to play with your kid in ways that will be helpful for their development. (Example: working on tracking with a fun toy.)
    • Work on tummy time ASAP! A little bit after each diaper change is a great way to integrate it into your day. My kid loved doing it butt naked. It's also a bit more tolerable on a Boppy Newborn Lounger.
    • Be on the lookout for torticollis (a tight neck muscle -- harmless but can cause fine motor delays and plagiocephaly). It may be rare, but it doesn't hurt to check. If you notice your child only turning his/her head to one side (I only noticed this when looking at my daily photos of him), it's something to mention to your pediatrician. This time around I'm planning on giving baby gentle neck stretches after each diaper change, just in case.

TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    All I have to say is - 
    If you end up with a tear and get stitches (which like 90% of women do) DON'T try to push while going to the bathroom during recovery. Just take some stool softeners and let that shit (literally) slide out on it's own. And don't forget to have your spray bottle with warm water on hand..
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AGK2015 How in the world did I forget to mention my Carpal Tunnel.  34 weeks pregnant my hands started tingling when I would drive, it kept progressing to more often and longer intense stints.  By 39 weeks I couldn't type on my keyboard because my hands and wrists hurt so badly and were so tingly and numb.  My doc ended up writing me out of work for it and I got short term disability until I delivered at 41w4d.  
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    mckcak23 said:
     at 4 am a nurse came into the room and may have explained something to me but I dont remember. What I do remember is that she said my son needed to go to the NICU. Then she just walked out with him. I was not allowed up still so I threw something at DH and told him to follow my baby. He came back about 45 mins later and told me he had no ideas what was going on. I was a fucking wreck, I had no clue what was going on. I pressed the nurses button and all that nurse told me was that my son was in the NICU and that it was shift change. The next nurse who cam on had no clue what she was walking into when she came into my room. I was PISSED. It ended up that because he was early my son needed to have his sugar checked every 3 hours. I countered that with if it just needs to be done every 3 hours then bring him back to me and DH can walk him down there on a schedule. They then said that because of the mag and my inability stand I could not be left alone with the baby. I said that is fine I have a husband with me. Finally someone went and got my son. I want to say that if my son needed to be in the NICU I absolutely would not have been a bitch but no one could give me a solid reason on why he needed to be 
    Of course you were pissed! Holy shit I would have been beside myself. Good for you for advocating for yourself and seriously WTF.
  • Options
    texas_t said:
    Pregnancy:

1.Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT, use this time as a free for all to eat everything you want.  Some say weight falls off when you breastfeed, but that's not always true.  Then, you're decades of pounds overweight with a newborn and your too tired to do squat about.  Control yourself now and try to stay active.  (I'm talking to myself, obviously.)

2. If you're concerned about something, call your doctor.  You aren't trying to be friends with your OB, so who the heck cares if they think you're crazy.  You deserve peace of mind.

3. Take the classes your hospital offers, especially Infant Safety and CPR and the Car seat class.  Y'all. Install and properly use your car seat.  

Labor and Deliver: 

1. Have a plan but don't be too caught up in the plan.  Chances are, it won't go the way you want.

2. If you have to have a c-section, ask for a stool softener IMMEDIATELY.  Your first post baby poop is like delivering another child.

3. Accept meds that your nurse is giving you while in the hospital and don't try to be a martyr.

4. Again, don't try to be a martyr.  Let the baby go sleep in the nursery for a couple of hours while you get some rest.

Newborn:

1. Ask for help if you need it.

2. Don't have visitors over if you don't want visitors.

3. Chances are, there will be some of you that have trouble breastfeeding.  I did.  You ARE adequate and you ARE a great mom.  Just because you aren't producing enough, the baby isn't latching, or you just don't want to doesn't define you as a mom.  Feed your baby.  Focus on the good things about formula feeding, like the fact your spouse can help!  
    I don't think many hospitals now-a-days have nurseries.
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I actually liked our hospital snot bulb, lol... We still use it!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @texas_t We still use ours too! DD thinks it's hilarious, for some reason, and it works well!
  • Options
    @maureenmce My kid does it himself.  He huffs saline like a pro  :D:D
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    ... meanwhile, I used the Nose-Frida for like six months, then once her nostrils got big enough I just picked her nose. FFFC?
  • Options
    Oh I also forgot that starting about 20 weeks my hip popped out every 5-6 days. I didnt realize what was wrong FOREVER but I finally went to the chiro and he told me that my legs were about 4 inches off due to hip displacement. I then went weekly for him to put it back in and it was the best thing ever! Instantly relieved the pain!
  • Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited April 2018
    It’s funny how different experiences can be. I disagree with some of the comments in that it was not my experience, but I value each mom’s experience.
    Very good point! Everyone's pregnancy, labor and postpartum experiences and preferences will be different - sometimes VERY different, and it's good to listen and value all of the different experiences/opinions and then choose where on the spectrum your preferences lie. :) 

And YES about going to the car seat inspection places - it just provides peace of mind. And my husband was rear ended while driving my daughter on my first week back to work after maternity leave, and as scary as it was, at least I know for sure the car seat was installed right (and luckily everything was fine.)
  • Options
    I actually usually tell all first time moms to not listen to any advice second+ time moms give because it's not going to be how your labor-delivery will be. And their advice usually doesn't even help at all.
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It’s funny how different experiences can be. I disagree with some of the comments in that it was not my experience, but I value each mom’s experience.
    Very good point! Everyone's pregnancy, labor and postpartum experiences and preferences will be different - sometimes VERY different, and it's good to listen and value all of the different experiences/opinions and then choose where on the spectrum your preferences lie. :) 

And YES about going to the car seat inspection places - it just provides peace of mind. And my husband was rear ended while driving my daughter on my first week back to work after maternity leave, and as scary as it was, at least I know for sure the car seat was installed right (and luckily everything was fine.)
    Yes, completely agree. I think if anything having all these experiences listed out can demonstrate how different it can go!
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I already like you ladies! 
  • Options
    @Activebaby That's so true.  Lots of things are "normal."  Few things if any are genuinely universal. It's a great distinction to make!

• Options
    Kudos @PensiveCrayon I also loved this board with my previous BMB!!

Pregnancy

• You’re going to be paranoid over everything, just relax, and stay away from google
    • Get a pregnancy pillow. I’m a stomach sleeper and I had a hard time adjusting to my side but this helped a ton! Keep extra water near your bed and a clear path to the bathroom. Those last two months I would pee 2 sometimes 4 times a night.
    • Charlie horses will come randomly, and with me usually when I was sleeping.
    • PUPPS! Not cute pups or puppies, but I broke up with this crazy rash at 36 weeks that I thought I got from washing my dogs in the tub. At my 38-week check-up my arms, legs and stomach were completely covered, my resting heart rate was in the 130s and my DR was super worried and told me it won’t go away until I gave birth. So I elected to be induced the next day, because I was literally scratching myself in my sleep. Good news, the rash was almost completely gone 4 hours after I gave birth.

Birth

• It does suck. I was induced which isn’t the easy road by far. I was at 2cm when they broke my water and started me on Pitocin. I slowly dilated through the day, Pitocin makes your contractions stronger than they feel with natural birth also. By 5cm I asked the nurse for an epidural, she offered IV meds to try first, so I did. DO NOT GET THE IV MEDS!! I felt like a drunk/high person. I couldn’t talk to my DH, and I was completely out of it. When the nurse came back I asked her to take it off and elected for an epidural.
    • My epidural had no problems, but some people have problems. I didn’t feel anything at all when they placed it but I had just had a huge nasty contraction. Once it was in I was able to relax and dilated to an 8 within a half hour, and by the hour I was at a ten.
    • My heartrate and BP crashed and they had to put me on oxygen, which is common with the epidural. I had to stay on either one of my sides because sitting up made me crash.
    • Once I started pushing it was like 30-40 minutes for my son to come.Some it's much faster and others can be longer too.
    • You will probably poop.
    • You will probably tear.
    • But when you see that squishy little baby nothing else happening matters.
    • Then you have to deliver your placenta and you may be amazed and/or grossed out by it. I had my DR hold it up so I could see it.

Postpartum

• Stool softners! Seriously, your first poop will feel like given birth all over again.
    • If your breastfeeding, you may just produce an awful lot of milk, after a month it finally settles down a bit, for me that’s when I found my nursing schedule and such.
    • Take it easy. Some women only bleed for a few weeks and other’s longer. If you are being too active and not letting your body heal you’ll bleed longer. Once I stopped and relaxed for a few days I finally stopped at four weeks when I stopped running around the house cleaning each day.
    • Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
    • You may cry for no reason. Yay for hormones. You may be paranoid about PPD because of this. Take it easy and talk to someone and/or your DR.

Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• Options
    @littlewhitecottage
     For real on the "I will never..." ahahah. There was so many things I thought I wouldn't do but literally sleep>everything was my motto
     Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• Options
    asun123 said:
    I actually usually tell all first time moms to not listen to any advice second+ time moms give because it's not going to be how your labor-delivery will be. And their advice usually doesn't even help at all.
    Yes yes yes. I agree 100%. Not being rude but all advice is take it or leave it and everyone's experiences will be different. Everyone will have advice wether solicited or unsolicited. And the best way to know is just to do it.  

My best advice would be that there will be times when u feel like an awesome mom and there will be times when you feel like a complete eff up of a mom. And Thats okay becauae we all learn as we go. And if we screw up here and there chances are pur babies are still gonna be ok. I mean our parents screwed up and we turned out ok. 
  • Options
    @littlewhitecottage AAAAAMEN to the "I will never..." Hello 4-month regression. Extinction saved my sanity and probably also my marriage. And my kid is a-okay.

Also, I completely forgot about those clots. Eeeeew. Yup. I was pretty sure I was dying for several days after I gave birth.

And I love the 30-second thing. I'm planning on going med-free again so that's definitely something I'll keep in mind.
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    The best advice I got throughout the entire process was that although you may have read every book and took every class on breastfeeding, the baby hasn't. So if it's not 2nd nature like they say it is, don't stress it. And that only applies if you choose to breastfeed. If you do that's great. If you don't that's great. Remember fed is best. 
  • Options
    Pregnancy
    • Every pregnancy is different. Just because someone has these or those symptoms and you don't, doesn't mean there is something wrong. 
    • Pregnancy rage is real. 
    • I second going to the chiropractor, if your OB signs off on it. 
    • I also second not using pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever you want. And this is coming from someone who loves food and hates working out. 
    • I'm pro snoogle and belly band, but I know not everyone is. 
    • Advocate for yourself. If you have questions or concerns, don't be afraid to ask your OB. If you have really serious questions or concerns, don't be afraid to call their on call number. It's what it's there for. 
    • A lot of hospitals offer free tours and classes. Take them, and if your partner can go, have him go with you. A lot of it may be common sense, but a lot is great knowledge. The breast feeding class in particular, I was thankful my husband went to. There is so much information and there was a lot that I didn't remember when I needed it, that he did. Team work! Also, a lot of Baby Friendly hospitals offer classes for free even if you're not delivering there. Check around! We went to a "baby shower/hospital tour" even though we knew our hospital. We got a TON of free stuff and free lunch. 
    • If your financed and job allow it, take a little time off before you give birth. I planned to work until the day of so that I could use all of my time off afterwards, but ended up taking off the week before because I was so unproductive and wanted some "me" time and nesting time. 
    Labor and Delivery
    • If you want to have a birth plan, great, but be flexible. Childbirth doesn't always go exactly as planned. Be gentle with yourself and allow some wiggle room on some of your choices. 
    • Get an epidural... or don't, but don't feel any which way about it. A medicated birth is just as natural as a med free birth. Either way, childbirth is hard and you're body is doing something amazing. You should be proud of that. 
    • Like others have said, expect it to take a while. The first time I was induced it took 2 days. The second time it took a day. Both pregnancies though I only pushed about 4 times. 
    • This is YOUR experience. Have who you want in the room and don't worry about hurt feelings. My first pregnancy my mom and husband were in the room. My second my husband and I decided we wanted it to just be us. 
    • Don't be afraid to poop, it happens. Total TMI alert... I was terrified of it and was relieved when I thought I hadn't. Then when I was getting all cleaned up afterwards, my doctor noted she could tell I was constipated and kind of massaged it out of me. She said jokingly "See? I poop FOR you!" So it's really no big deal. 
    Post partum
    • Not to scare anyone, but just be prepared... for me, recovery was the worst/most painful part of the whole process. 
    • Going to the bathroom, pee or poop, may be terrifying. Stool softeners are your friend, spicy foods maybe not. My advice is just soften it up and let it come out when it's ready. Don't force it. 
    • One word: Dermaplast. 
    • I was terrified to shower even and there was so much blood. Just be gentle. Baths were amazing, and I totally recommend Earth Baby Angel Mama postpartum bath herbs. 
    • Breast feeding may come easy, or it might not, or it might not be for you. That's ok. Fed is best, whether that is from the boob or formula.
    • Same as with OB's, if you don't like your pediatrician, shop around. Ours told us that we were giving him too much milk and to give him water. At a few weeks old. My mom gut told me that this was NOT a right fit for us and we ditched him. 
    • If it's in your budget, get newborn pictures. We weren't going to and made a last minute decision to get them. I'm SO glad we did. 
    • If people offer, TAKE THE HELP. 
    • If you're feeling a little more than the baby blues, don't be ashamed to talk to your doctor. 
    • Sleep when the baby sleeps. 
    • We LOVE the snot sucker. My husband was TOTALLY opposed to it, but our first baby cold put an end to that. 
    • One thing I had NO IDEA was a thing were the post partum chills. They were no joke and absolutely terrified my husband. I would go from fine to full on convulsions in 0-60. He'd have me piled under blankets and comforters and a heating blankets, nothing helped. They were so bad I couldn't do anything, even hold our son. They tapered off after about 3 weeks. 
    I KNOW I'm missing stuff, but we've got time to add :wink:
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    Oh! And I know that we'll have a thread for products as it gets closer, if we don't already, I can't remember, but post partum, the peri bottle is your friend. I sprung a few extra bucks for the Frida Baby Butt Washer and I HIGHLY recommend it. It has a curved nozzle to make spraying easier. Its probably one of my fav pregnancy purchases. 
  • Options
    mckcak23 said:
    Always point the penis down. 
    THIS!  :D  And cover in the process. 
  • Options
    @littlewhitecottage So much yes to everything. Especially the "I would never". I feel like I talk about this ALL THE TIME with my mom friends, especially having a toddler. Parenthood is just such uncharted territory as new parents. I laugh at all the things I used to say, "When I'M a parent I will NEVER...." about. 
  • Options
    A lot of really good stuff has been covered above! 

I just wanted to add a couple things...

if you breastfeed, your boobs may never be the same. I BF for 8 months (stopped this past November) and my nips still are permanently hard. All the time. I can never not wear a bra now. And it wasn’t like this before.  

Also, post-partum hair loss. I think this started around 3 months PP? You will feel as if you are going to go bald, so much hair comes out. 
    Me: 32 DH: 33
    Type 1 Diabetic
    DS: Born 2/18/17
    TTC #2: Jan. 2018 BFP: 3/27/18 EDD: 12/6/18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mittenlove86 how could I forget about the pp hair loss?! It’s seriously the worst. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga