October 2018 Moms
Options

Questions 4/13

Re: Questions 4/13

• Options
    Ok I feel stupid for asking this, since this isn’t my first pregnancy, but is pepperoni pizza ok to eat? I believe cured meats like pepperoni are a no, but not sure if that changes when heated on a cooked pizza like with deli meats? 
  • Options
    Ok I feel stupid for asking this, since this isn’t my first pregnancy, but is pepperoni pizza ok to eat? I believe cured meats like pepperoni are a no, but not sure if that changes when heated on a cooked pizza like with deli meats? 
    Anything like that cooked to steaming is totally fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @pumpkinpancake I sure hope so!! I’ve eaten it at least once a week since being pregnant...it’s been my biggest craving. I think it’s ok as long as it’s heated as @mariek312 said.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    Well pepperoni will still have nitrates even if cooked, so that's a personal call. The cooking factor only reduces chance of listeria. Last pregnancy I did no nitrates but this time around I've been comfortable with once or twice a month after dr google said it was ok in small moderation.
  • Options
    I buy the nitrite-free pepperoni and make sure it’s hot before eating it. 
  • Options
    I have also read that nitrates are also present in things like dark leafy vegetables such as spinach, and nobody tells you to stop eating spinach (that I know of anyways!).
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    @jemmerjams Same! I had smoked sausage last night and will probably get pepperoni pizza at some point this weekend.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    I’m not watching my nitrate intake, nor I even know how, but why do they say to avoid them? And why did my doctor not include that on her list of foods to avoid?
  • Options
    Carcinogens that could potentially lead to cancer? Can't say I've invested much time in researching it...probably because I love pizza so much.
  • Options
    From a Livestrong article I once read: Foods that are naturally rich in nitrates can provide a variety of health benefits, but some nitrate is converted to nitrite in your body, which can form nitrosamines and cause negative effects. However, vitamin C naturally inhibits the conversion to nitrosamines, which is why fresh fruits and vegetables high in nitrates cause far fewer problems than meats artificially high in nitrates.
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    I think the idea is that eating too many processed foods with nitrates over the course of many years can increase cancer risk. 

Another question: anyone figure out good headache remedies? Tylenol doesn't work and these headaches are bad!
  • Options
    @jweber4747 there is an acupressure point in the webbing between your thumb and pointer finger. It’s just below where the bones meet, in the fleshy part of the webbing. Massaging it can help with headaches. 
  • Options
    @jweber4747 sleep it off? Mine usually get better, albiet temporarily, after sleeping.

But since that's not entirely helpful... I use a heating pad on the back of my neck for migraines, since NOTHING will touch those, not even sleep. For headaches, I also try to make sure I'm stretching my neck and convince my husband to give me neck rubs to help with the tension. 

Also, I've found I get them more when I'm dehydrated, so I'm trying to drink more water during the day.
  • Options
    @jweber4747 I have suffered from migraines my whole life and have a few tricks that help.

Advil is the best but we obviously can't take that. Take the Tylenol and don't be afraid to take 2 or 3 extra strength if it's really bad (my doc said totally fine) It's better to stop them early on then let them get 'too far' and there's no helping. 

Ice packs on the head can really help.

Drink a bit of caffeine, can of coke or small coffee.

My British relatives introduced me to this product '4head' and it's a life saver. You run it on temples and forehead and it sort of 'numbs' and 'freezed' the area like tiger balm. And it's safe to use while pregnant. 

• Options
    I've developed an itchy and irritated red rash on both my armpits. I don't think it is the deodorant I'm using because I've been using it for almost a month and up until 10 days ago the rash began. Today it's at its worse. I haven't put any deodorant on because I don't want to further irritate my pits. Is there anything I can use to calm the itch and begin to heal? I won't be able to reach my doctor until Monday.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mommiesnuggles What about some calamine lotion? Also, I think Benadryl is okay to take, unless you're on anything else that might interact with it.
  • Options
    @mommiesnuggles when I was switching from antiperspirant to more natural deodorant I detoxed my arm pits with apple cider vinegar and bentonite clay. It pulls all the bad things out of your arm pits and sooths rashes. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016

• Options
    @chopchop25Thanks for the suggestion. I will give calamine lotion a try.
  • Options
    I can’t recall if hydrocortisone is ok during pregnancy but that could help?
  • Options
    @chyvie the moment I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks, I switched to natural deodorant. I'm not necessarily sure if it's the deodorant or something else.
  • Options
    @mommiesnuggles Check if the natural deodorant has baking soda in it... a lot of people get irritated by it after a while and being pregnant I find makes your skin more sensitive. If you want to stay with the natural options, try the mineral ones - they look like a big crystal, or you can get liquid forms (kiss my face has a good one)
  • Options
    @jweber4747 Try an ice pack or cold compress in the back of your head, just above the ridge where your skull joins your neck. I used to see a neurologist for my migraines and he would do occipital nerve blocks (injections of local anesthetic into the nerves), but also gave me that tip for when I couldnt get in.  The ice numbs the nerves and can really help with the pain. 
  • Options
    Crystal deodorants are nice, but I find that some days I'm still stinky.
  • Options
    @mommiesnuggles I switched to natural deodorant when I was TTC before my son, and it was fine at first but then after a while started to give me irritation. I switched to a different brand and it pretty much completely went away, so it could be the deodorant even though you didn’t just recently switch. Maybe try a diffeeent brand and see if that helps? 
  • Options
    The detox will help. The reason you have a rash is because you switched. Your skin is trying to get rid of the chemicals and film the antiperspirant leaves behind. The detox will also help with any smell issue you might have. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016

• Options
    @chyvie how often did you do the detox and for how long? @pumpkinpancake I was thinking of doing that. It's just so bad. I can't even shave.
  • Options
    Anyone every bought shoes/booties for their kids? I of course got a gift code where I can get like 4 pairs for like $8.25 each after their gift code and shipping... worth it? Are they quality? www.littlewanderers.com
  • Options
    @chyvie how often did you do the detox and for how long? @pumpkinpancake I was thinking of doing that. It's just so bad. I can't even shave.
    Ouch!!! That doesn't look fun :( 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    @jweber4747 I been dealing with bad headaches for the past few weeks on and off. These ideas have already been mentioned, but what has helped me is drinking a pepsi (or other caffeine) after taking the tylenol. Then these last two days, I have this heatable rice thing that I microwave for 30 seconds and laying it on my neck has taken away my neck and headache pains.
  • Options
    I know most of these would not be good while learning to walk (to hard of a sole). Was thinking the suade leather walkers for while learning to walk or just crawling and keeping feet warm. 
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth Nope. I think shoes for tiny babies are just a waste. We didn’t get DS his first pair of shoes until he was walking. 
  • Options
    I get tension headaches really bad ... they originate in my neck and radiate to the front of my head, just above my eyes. Heat on my neck always helps. I have the packs that are filled w rice and lavender infused.. a few mins in the microwave and then wrapped around my neck seems to relieve a lot of the tension. Then I just lay down and try to be as still as possible until it resolves 
  • Options
    @tinattt23 no I don't like shoes for little babies either. They have sizes up to 18 months. 
  • Options
    @mommiesnuggles I think I did it everyday for a week then once a week for a bit. My armpits we're very dark and irritated like yours then they became nice a smooth and more my natural skin color. I also used tea tree oil. Just make sure you ask your OB if all this is safe of course. I did this years ago. The formula of the new natural deodorant might not mix well with your natural sweet and acid so try switching too. Good luck! 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016

• Options
    Tea tree should be okay. Just make sure you dilute it with a carrier before applying to the skin. You don't want to use a oil neat on your skin.
  • Options
    @chyvie @sammierose464 Thank you ladies. I started today by taking 1 part apple cider vinegar and 1 part water and putting it on my armpits with a cotton ball. Figure it's something I could do til I see my OB.
  • Options
    Anyone every bought shoes/booties for their kids? I of course got a gift code where I can get like 4 pairs for like $8.25 each after their gift code and shipping... worth it? Are they quality? www.littlewanderers.com
    So idk about that brand but generally speaking I’m anti-shoes until your kid is walking. The exception is cold weather, so we have a couple pairs of warm boots for babies that I’d put on if I was baby wearing or something so I couldn’t wrap her feet up in blankets and stuff. Not sure if you live in an area with cold winters but honestly even if you do I’d hold off on those. Someone will inevitably give you baby booties. They’re cute so people like to buy them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Has anyone test driven the VW atlas? My MIL keeps going on about it bc apparently the bucket seats can be moved even with a car seat installed. I’m skeptical of buying a model that hasn’t been out for long though. Any experiences?
    BabyFruit Ticker