November 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinion Thursday!

I'm start this because I'm bored at work... which only happens during our geometry unit. There isn't much to teach when they just have to plug numbers into a formula... blah.

Anyways, my unpopular opinion is that olives suck. I can't stand them. Coworker brings a jar of olives for lunch almost daily and snacks on them. SO gross. 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday!

• @middleschoolmommy What kind of olives? I only like black olives, but agree with you that all other olives are nasty! 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Oh I love green olives but HATE black olives. And I’m not gonna lie... I am now eating some green olives out of the jar because of your post @middleschoolmommy
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think Chinese food is nasty and I'm not totally convinced that it is what they say it is half the time. 
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    BFP Jan '22
    BFP May '22

• I agree @middleschoolmommy! Olives are horrendous!!!

I wasn't going to post a new opinion since most of mine are too controversial lol. But I came up with one that might be ok haha

My unpopular opinion is that most "reality" tv is fake/scripted/boring/overly edited to skew it/annoying/not worth watching.

My sister in law would probably slap me for saying that haha
  • @babybrain2018 oh but the controversial ones are what make the conversation interesting!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @pink_polkadots haha yeah... But a lot of mine come from my job. And would probably make me sound like a terrible person and make you all hate me. And I like you ladies so I don't want to do that haha. 
  • @babybrain2018 This. Me. You would think I am the worst person ever and judge me hardcore. 

I love all olives :( I am half Cuban though, so there's that! LOL
    Me: 31 I DH: 31
    Met: 9/8/08; Engaged: 9/8/11; Married 6/30/12
    TTC#1: 8/2013; BFP: 9/30/13; born June 2014 (boy)
    TTC#2: 2/2018; BFP: 2/26/18; MC 4/4/18.
    TTC#2: 4/2018; BFP: 5/12/18; EDD: 1/19/19 (boy)
    2 fur babies: Oakley Marley (11.5) & Ava Lynn (2)

BabyGaga
  • @cm716 I used to hate minivans but we had to rent a nice one to go on a trip a year ago and the idea has grown on me. 

I love olives, all of them.

My UO is that I side eye people when they say they can't cook anything because following a recipe in a cookbook is really not that hard. I have a FB friend who constantly posts failures of her cooking and she gets recipes and instructions from those food delivery boxes and somehow she messes those up as well as recipes from cookbooks.  
  • Olives are disgusting. Reality TV is dumb. Chinese food is the shizzz (as I munch on my sesame chicken and egg roll).

And I'll add mine, going with the food trend. Oreos are gross.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• YASSS! Olives are gross. Reality TV is dumb (unless it's a cooking show), Chinese food is AHHHHMAZING.  Oreos = life (except for the weird flavored ones).
    Raw mushrooms are disgusting, but delicious when cooked.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @phoenix870509 MH won't buy Oreos any more because I eat the entire bag in a few days time. Oreos are the bomb!
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    BFP Jan '22
    BFP May '22

• cm716cm716 member
    @wannaflickone we're not really into themes either and when I jokingly told my husband we needed to pick one for my son, his suggestion was 'jungle predators'. :D
  • LMAO our "theme" will be functional, within budget, and what we arbitrarily like.  Sure theme'd nursery's are cute but nothing else in my home has a theme so why start now :D 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• This has got to be the most polite bump board of all time. @wannaflickone I'm laughing so hard over here that nursery decor is what passes for a controversial UO for Nov '18. :D:D:D I don't know that I've ever had a strong opinion on wall murals, and I still like you. FWIW we dont have any wall murals.

I like olives, but they were definitely an acquired taste. Same with mushrooms. I like oreos, but I like the cookie part better than the creme part. DD only eats the creme so I guess it works for us. I like Chinese food but get sick of the flavor quickly, so like once a month or less is plenty.

I'm still resisting the idea of ever owning a minivan, but I definitely see their appeal, especially if you have a big family. One of my sisters has one, and I'm like yeah this is expansive. But I like my acura.

I agree with you @babybrain2018 on reality tv.

C'mon someone - throw out a bomb and start some drama!

• @phoenix870509 Oreos are my crack. I can't buy them. I'd eat every single one. 

@CopperBoom86 I bought SO MANY peeps last year, but we used them for a science experiment... because that's all they are good for. ;)
  • cm716cm716 member
    @wannaflickone lol he thought so too. He would have fully supported it if I picked that theme.

Also adding to my minivan argument:
    Those things can HAUL. 
    They fit my giant husband who does not fit in most cars. 
    .....come to the dark side
  • edited March 2018
    Re: ugly babies, so true.  Some look like wrinkly old men and not cute at all.  They are still lovable and squish-able but the phrase "a face only a mother could love" has to come from somewhere.
    Re: gender reveals, +1 for not a fan.  I get the appeal, the whole color inside the cake thing is cute and all, but realistically it's just an excuse to eat cake (which I don't think you need an excuse to do, just eat some damn cake).  So if that's your thing go for it, but especially seeing as I'm team green I ain't having one nor would I likely attend one if invited.

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @tessiesmom26 YES!! I did NOT want a gender reveal party for DS, but DH wanted one. We compromised and had one of our regular parties, and then we announced on a chalkboard who the baby was. We already had names picked out, so the sign read "Squishy is officially..." and on the back was DS's name. For this baby he wants an exploding box. How to explode the box is still in the planning, but I just want to announce on FB and call it a day.

@middleschoolmommy I can definitely agree with that. SIL's friend had a baby and they're posting all these pics of her saying how cute she is, and she's not. She's 2 now and still not cute. She got her father's looks, and he is not a handsome man.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• All babies are definitely not cute. One of my nieces was definitely not a pretty infant - she was too long and thin and red and wrinkly. She turned into a beautiful toddler though. A lot of even beautiful babies go through an "ugly phase" around a month old or so, when hair starts falling out and baby acne kicks in.

As for gender reveals, I think having a whole party is a bit much, especially in addition to a baby shower. BUT - as an idea I think they're kinda cute. We didn't have one with DD. But this time around I am planning to do one for just the family. I think I'm going to get a cupcake each made for me, DH and DD, and let DD bite into it first and reveal it to us. Cheesy I know but this may be my last pregnancy!

• @tessiesmom26 I think that's the popular opinion around here, actually. My UO is that I think gender reveals are fun. Like, not a party, but just a fun little reveal. We're planning on having my FIL shoot a balloon with colored dust in it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mockingjay1 The Sociology major in me is:

Every baby shower I have been to in the past few years has been mostly clothes because when people know what you're having they tend to go that way. I hate the whole "girl has to be pink and frilly and boy has to be blue and tough." This is one of a few reasons we are team green. 

Unrelated to that, I hate balloons. I have an irrational fear of them, have since I was a child, so popping a balloon to see a color to determine the sex of the baby is terrifying to me! 
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    BFP Jan '22
    BFP May '22

• I was thinking the SAME thing when I came across an earlier post daring someone to post something "really" controversial.

but I also consent that I lean left of center and have some progressive views on gender expectations in general, so *shrug*
  • @pink_polkadots, I'm a gender neutral mama. but I agree w/ you that I think we can all parent the way we want to, so long as our children don't grow up to be assholes. my 3yr old son has long hair and is often mistaken for a girl. my dad gives me grief for it, but I just tell him, "a) samson had long hair, what do you got to say about that? and b) as long as my son doesn't grow up to be a serial killer or rapist, or asshole in general, I don't care how he wears his hair, or what color sneakers he wears, or who he loves, etc..."

I'm raising my son gender neutral, and he is all boy to the core. but still has no concept of boy/girl. if you ask him if he's a boy or a girl, he just says, "I'm jonah." I know that won't last forever, but I'm cherishing the days that it is so.
  • @middleschoolmommy I think those kind of maternity photos are beautiful. I can't pull them off, but I wish I could!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @middleschoolmommy I also am not a fan of those type of maternity photos. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Gender reveals are fine (but awkward) when the parents are finding out the sex at the party, same time as the guests. When they already know, that's pure AW and not a good look.
  • @middleschoolmommy Your real UO is that geometry doesn't need to be taught well. I was a mechanical engineering professor and I am now in absolute despair.
  • @argyleagain I teach 6th grade... their geometry unit literally only consists of area of 3 different shapes and volume of rectangular prisms. If they can't figure that I out, I don't know how to help them.