August 2018 Moms

Numb feet on toilet, help

Hi. 1st pregnancy and 18 weeks.
Ive had some difficulty with constipation recently. I have a tendency to get small cuts from hard stool and have one at the mo which hurts like hell so I really didn't want to go. so i was sitting on the toilet with feet on a little box coz I've heard lots about the more squat like position is better for naturally opening the bowel. Tmi sorry. Anyway I was there a while just trying to relax so I don't push and hurt myself and my feet fell asleep. I finished and got up and took about 10 minutes for my feet to return to normal. I then started freaking out that it might have been harmful to the baby with blood flow restriction etc. Sorry if this seems silly to anyone but I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and I'd like to not suffer unnecessarily. I did Google and found a few people who'd posted a while back that it happened to them and no one seemed concerned. I would just like some reassurance.

Re: Numb feet on toilet, help

• If I sit too long with my Squatty Potty, it has a tendency to pinch the nerves/blood going to my legs, as your bottom is inside the rim of the toilet. Best advice I can offer is move around some if you're sitting there that long, rock from one side to the other, so that pinched nerve or blood can keep doing its thing.

Otherwise, for the constipation issue, have you tried taking Colace, or probiotics (Activia yogurt), or increasing your fiber intake? 
  • Loading the player...
  • *lurking from Sept*

+1 for team Squatty Potty

Taking a probiotic supplement has really helped my poop game. 

If I hang out on the toilet too long playing on my phone cause I'm too tired to get up, I make sure and move my legs around, flex my feet ect. Like you would on a long plane flight. Helps keep the blood flow going.

• I’ve just started getting numb legs again I have to remind myself to move around. I’m not looking forward to, and seriously hope I don’t get the numb arms when I sleep. That was the worst with my first. 
  • Thanks everyone. 
    Unfortunately im allergic to half the world which throws off any chance of a balanced diet, can't eat any fruit and although I can eat vegetables I can only eat them cooked till their floppy as this kills the antigen I react to. I also have H.G and really just eat what I fancy at the mo which is far from vegetables
    I also have IBS and most of the time I have more of the opposite problem so haven't had to think about it before. I'm gonna need to try watching what i eat a bit more I suppose.
    Thank you all for replying. I was proper freaking out that I was cutting off blood to the baby, although it was my feet and calves that were numb so quite far away . I'm a worrier what can I say
  • Ahhh squatty potty thats what they call it