November 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Baby Carriers (w/o 3/5)

2»

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Baby Carriers (w/o 3/5)

• edited August 2018
    Bumping this up to ask a question. My workplace has a craigslist type of website and someone posted an unused Ergo for $50. She said she bought it for her youngest daughter, but the daughter didn't like it so she never used it. She sent me a picture of it too. Should I buy it? I never wore DD because it was uncomfortable (I had the Bjorn, which I've since learned is not a great carrier). It seems like a steal for $50, but I was hoping for some advice from some babywearing experts. :) I don't want to buy something that's uncomfortable or that I might not end up using anyways. She also didn't tell me how old the carrier is, so I'm not sure if that's a concern if it's a couple of years old. 

Here are the photos she sent:

*TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland not a bw expert, but here’s my 2 cents: i have an ergo, but not that style ergo. i thought the one we used was very comfy (a no-frills performance style) and easy to put on. i used it until dd was around 25lbs; we only stopped because she started to prefer to walk around herself. dd loved being held and i didn’t care for the stroller, so our ergo was definitely the preferred method of baby containment while out and about. 

i’m not sure age is at all a problem—ours is 4 years old and used heavily. it’s well made imo. i’m still planning on using it again. if i was gonna buy used, i guess i would be worried more about if the house was smoke free. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @offtoneverland That particular style can hold up to 45 pounds and it looks like it will be the standard carry of front, back or side. I LOVE my Ergo. I still use it for ds, especially for quick trips to the store where I don't have/patience for him walking or a buggy.

I want to point out (remind you?) that infants cannot use that carrier unless you have the insert. Otherwise, you can use it around 6 months when head control is great and they usually sit on their own. Either way, $50 is a great price and I am sure you will get a lot of use out it. 
  • @offtoneverland I love my ergo and used it starting when DD was 3 days old until she was over a year. I tried my sisters bjorn once and it was not as comfy. You can easily buy an infant insert on amazon to go with it. 

• @highsteaks @lifesabeach85 @wildrainbow Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm going to get it because it seems like a great deal. I think wearing this baby will be more of a necessity since I'll have my hands full with DD, so I hope it will work out. I thought it was probably the type I couldn't use with an infant, but I wasn't sure so thanks for letting me know! I'll look into buying the infant insert to go with it. And I'm going to make sure it's from a smoke free home before I get it. Good advice @highsteaks! Thanks again!
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • ashkee05ashkee05 member
    edited August 2018
    @offtoneverland that looks like the 360 and I agree with everyone saying get it because you absolutely will get a lot of use out of it. My toddler can still fit in that size. They do make a mesh infant insert now so maybe look into that one. Even though it will be winter the inserts can still get hot for them. Age definitely doesn’t matter unless there is noticeable damage on it. They hold up well though. I 200% agree with smoke free home as spot treatment is recommended over washing. Although you can wash.
    nws
  • @ashkee05 <3 that carrier! It's gorgeous!! I really want a new woven wrap and H rolled his eyes. I have 3 ring slings, the Ergo, a Moby, and another stretchy wrap. I really like using wraps when they are NB, I don't have to worry about their head. My friend is giving me her toddler Tula so I can tandem wear easily as well. 
  • @wildrainbow my husband hates hardcore every time I buy one. But he likes bikes and I like baby carriers so too bad for him lol! I wanted to wrap so bad but I was terrible at it.
    nws
  • @offtoneverland my baby wearing international page has a for sale thread. It’s a cool mesh insert. I will totally pick it up and ship it to you if you want! That’s a steal!!

nws
  • @ashkee05 Really??? That's so kind of you to offer! I would totally take you up on that if it's still available. I can PM you my address and we can figure out the details of how you want me to pay you. :) 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @offtoneverland absolutely! I am always down to help anyone snag a deal! I will grab it and we can figure it out!!!! Super happy to help!!
    nws