September 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinions 3/1

Re: Unpopular Opinions 3/1

• @Lcardinal04 yup! I've had a few animals over the years pick me/us and you just have to accept the wisdom of the universe and go with it :) When it feels right you just know <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @nlc8424 and @BusinessWife! I have such a good photo and without the US, it’s just like, a calendar page and some flowers haha. It doesn’t make sense. Leave it to me to be so self-conscious that I think my uterus looks weird lol. I will go back to the drawing board I think. 
  • yogapants247yogapants247 member
    edited March 2018
    Oooh I know I'm late but idc, I came up with one:

I HAAATE when people shame others from buying a dog from a breeder instead of adopting. I did a ton of research to figure out the right breed for me/my living situation, researched *responsible* breeders, talked to others who got dogs from them and found the absolute most perfect pup for my life :-) I don't think it's anyone's responsibility to rescue an animal instead of buying one, as long as they are not getting a dog that came from a puppy mill. 

And a bonus:

I hate the phrase "fed is best". Like... NOTHING against formula-feeding whatsoever, but I think "fed' is minimum... You could feed a newborn almond milk, but that's not "best", that's terrible! I just find the phrase so stupid and feel like someone can surely come up with a better way to convey that both breastfeeding and formula feeding are A-ok.
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• @yogapants247 totally agree on the dog thing! Responsible breeders are not the issue in over population, and dogs from good breeders are generally under contract to be returned if the owners can't keep them. It's the "oops, I let my dog wander so it keeps having litters," and "well just a few litters because my mix is so special" people that drive me nuts. 

• Patience7150Patience7150 member
    edited March 2018
    @yogapants247 I get what you're saying, but I'm going to go with @stothi on this. There is soooo much guilt and pressure associated with breastfeeding that immediately postpartum, it is sometimes really hard to remember that formula is not the end of the world, and that feeding your baby anything is better than feeding them nothing if you just aren't producing enough. To use your example, I'd even say feeding them almond milk is better than feeding them nothing. 

Kind of related to this, I hate going to the pediatrician and being asked if she's breast or bottle fed. B*tch, she's bottle fed breastmilk because we never got a good latch and I work hard to make sure she's still fed breastmilk. 

ETA: For the record, I KNOW almond milk is not an "acceptable" item to feed a baby. I was speaking generically that if your two choices are literally to let your baby sit there to starve forever and die, or feed your baby almond milk, feed the kid almond milk. 
  • Oooh I know I'm late but idc, I came up with one:

I HAAATE when people shame others from buying a dog from a breeder instead of adopting. I did a ton of research to figure out the right breed for me/my living situation, researched *responsible* breeders, talked to others who got dogs from them and found the absolute most perfect pup for my life :-) I don't think it's anyone's responsibility to rescue an animal instead of buying one, as long as they are not getting a dog that came from a puppy mill. 
    I hate that!! My dog is from a breeder and I did so much research before buying him. I think it's great people choose to rescue dogs, but that's not what I wanted to do when we got our pup and I didn't appreciate the people who commented on it when we got him.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @nlc8424 that’s interesting that they didn’t have better communication/ support for EBF babies. Our ped always used growth/weight gain and general condition (not dehydrated) as the gauge of enough intake. They also gave me the referrals for in home lactation consultants though, so they might be more bf friendly than others. 
  • @spottedginger I also had trouble with my son gaining weight after leaving the hospital, it took about 3 weeks for him to regularly start gaining. At the 2 week check up my ped basically told me that if he hadn't gained anything by the next time I went to the weigh station I'd have to supplement, but if he was within the goal weight gain range we were fine. He always talked about the growth curve and all that, but he also told me at less than 1 week old I should be able to pump 4 ounces no problem (not true). It's a small practice and I'm  not 100% in love with it, but I can deal with their so-so suppprt with breastfeeding. I'm lucky in that I had a weigh station with IBCLCs available to me twice a week 5 minutes away from my house- they were the ones who made me able to successfully breastfeed exclusively.

@BusinessWife you're so right about the family part with lack of experience breastfeeding, I had no one personally in my family to ask so it felt very lonely. But the few people in my life who were knowledgeable were beyond helpful to me as a new mom.
  • @nackie pumping never bothered me, but I've been thinking that if I can't produce this time I'm not going to fight as hard. My tentative plan is to fight the good fight for maybe 3 months (try to make it through the worst part of cold and flu season) and then go to straight formula if need be. I just don't want to take the time and attention away from the kids trying to force something that isn't happening. 
  • stothi said:
    @nackie pumping never bothered me, but I've been thinking that if I can't produce this time I'm not going to fight as hard. My tentative plan is to fight the good fight for maybe 3 months (try to make it through the worst part of cold and flu season) and then go to straight formula if need be. I just don't want to take the time and attention away from the kids trying to force something that isn't happening. 
    For some reason I found pumping really uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Plus it meant I wasn’t interacting with baby or sleeping which were the two things I wanted to be doing most. 
    My goal this time is also to make it through cold/flu season and then decide if I want to keep going. 
  • dexniedexnie member
    edited March 2018
    I get more riled up by talk about buying dogs than I do regarding baby feeding options. I guess this is a FFC?
  • Lurking...

@BusinessWife to add to your comment. I read or heard somewhere that when formula was gaining popularity many people believed that only women who couldn’t afford formula breastfeed. 
  • MandyMost said:
    I thought I had adequately qualified my post with a statement that some women aren’t able to breastfeed at all or to the extent they would like, even with doing everything right. I guess not! My issue is with the system that does such disservice to women who want to breast feed and don’t succeed because there is not enough support or education provided to them. I personally know some women who fit this category and it makes me sad. And virtually all the women I know who did breastfeed has to jump through hoops to find the support and information we needed. Me included. I have a lot of respect for women who do whatever they can to succeed at whatever feeding methods they choose, even if they DON’T succeed. 
    There really just isn't enough support, it sucks. I delivered at a great hospital with LC's on staff, and also got to come back into the hospital a few days after going home to meet with one, which was amaaaazing, but then.... nothing. I couldn't get a clear answer from my insurance company if seeing an LC in my home would be covered, and I couldn't afford it if it wasn't. And don't even get me started on going back to work and dealing with all that pumping crap. I had a great work environment and still was made to feel awkward and like I was maybe just taking "breaks" all the time. It sucked, and if I didn't quit my job when I did I definitely would've quit nursing, I just couldn't handle all that.
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• I found this article to be incredibly helpful (in hindsight- since I didn’t see it until much later) in coming to terms with supplementing and formula feeding. It is written by Emily Oster, who is the author of Expecting Better, which is my favorite pregnancy book. The article looks at the studies and statistics of the most commonly cited differences in bf and for babies. 
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everybody-calm-down-about-breastfeeding/

Our pediatrician also assured me that if DS was getting just four ounces of breastmilk a day, he was still getting the benefits. (Not sure that statement was based at all on science, but it made me feel better about the ongoing effort) 

@spottedginger I’ve had that article bookmarked in my phone for a long time and it helped me immensely in easing the guilt and frustration after we ended BFing earlier than I’d wanted to. Love me some Emily Oster! 
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • @spottedginger I could totally produce 4oz! Not a lot more but I could manage 4. My personal best pump was 2 oz. An ounce and a half from righty and half an ounce from lefty.  I was so proud, lol! Lefty was such a slacker. My baby refused to nurse on the left after about 4 months, so it was all righty for the last 2.5 months.
  • All this breastfeeding talk makes me miss it. In January I got pregnant and stopped producing, DD was 16 months. It was sudden; I didn't even know it was happening or it was a thing. BF is the hardest thing I have ever done and I can't believe I miss it. 
  • All this breastfeeding talk makes me miss it. In January I got pregnant and stopped producing, DD was 16 months. It was sudden; I didn't even know it was happening or it was a thing. BF is the hardest thing I have ever done and I can't believe I miss it. 
    I am trying to wean now (15 months) and hated breastfeeding but am really sad to be stopping. It doesn’t help that DD still pulls my shirt down...