August 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinion 2/22

Re: Unpopular Opinion 2/22

• ssthompsssthomps member
    edited February 2018
    ssthomps said:
    The single mom comment was made because I could see if a single mom was going to be in a room by herself why she would want support. My mom was a single mom of three girls so trust I know exactly how bad ass they are. Doesn’t negate that if they don’t have the necessary support why it would make sense for them to hire a Doula. A single mom is faced with a lot more challenges and instead of having support in the delivery room the support may have to stay home to help with the children. This is just an example. 
    While that may be true, you yourself are not a single mom and will never understand the struggle. It was still an insensitive comment, even if your mom was also a single mom that doesn't give you or anyone the right to lump us into a category. I'm sure it wasn't meant in ill will but a simple apology for the insensitivity would have gone a lot further than the "I can make this comment because my mom was a single mom." 
    It is called Unpopular Opinion for a reason. And...... I was not pulling the “My mom was a single mom” card. I was giving you an example to show you the comment wasn’t meant to be insensitive. 
  • @livinthesunnylife I get what you are saying just didn't read that way to me originally. If anyone was handing out free massages or free doulas, I'm sure lots of us would suddenly need them!   :D 
  • Loading the player...
  • @legallykate So you are saying that a person who is a professional teacher, isn't 'heroic' for attempting to save lives? So they not only followed their schools instructions/plan for that potential situation but they CHOSE to go above and beyond that and you are 'sick of hearing about it'? 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• ssthomps said:
    ssthomps said:
    The single mom comment was made because I could see if a single mom was going to be in a room by herself why she would want support. My mom was a single mom of three girls so trust I know exactly how bad ass they are. Doesn’t negate that if they don’t have the necessary support why it would make sense for them to hire a Doula. A single mom is faced with a lot more challenges and instead of having support in the delivery room the support may have to stay home to help with the children. This is just an example. 
    While that may be true, you yourself are not a single mom and will never understand the struggle. It was still an insensitive comment, even if your mom was also a single mom that doesn't give you or anyone the right to lump us into a category. I'm sure it wasn't meant in ill will but a simple apology for the insensitivity would have gone a lot further than the "I can make this comment because my mom was a single mom." 
    It is called Unpopular Opinion for a reason. And I was not pulling the “Mom was a single mom” card. I was giving you an example to show you the comment wasn’t meant to be insensitive. 
    Yes and your Unpopular Opinion was about a doula, there was no need to take single moms down with it. We can do it alone. We have and we will. I'm annoyed AF because you still don't see that you hurt someone's feelings and you're continuing to defend yourself. I don't care what you feel about doulas in any way, it's the single mom comment that was unnecessary. Am I taking it personally? Absolutely. As far as I know I'm the only single mom here so I probably took it differently than anyone else so let this be a lesson to everyone that something you may feel is a totally ok thing to say may be mom shaming to someone else. 
    Again- I was giving you an example to show you the comment wasn’t meant to be insensitive. 
  • @ssthomps I think in this case, although you didn't mean your comment to be insensitive, it came off that way to others. I don't believe you meant to hurt anybody, but regardless you did.
  • ssthomps said:
    @ecwk our definition of needs are different, and that's okay. No judgement to anyone who thinks massages improve their lives just as I have no judgement towards anyone who thinks a doula improves their birth experience. I personally struggle with the definition of "need" as it's often used as I've watched family members end up in very poor financial situations for things they think they need. 
    What she said! Everyones needs are different and often I see people’s “needs” put them in horrible financial situations. 

Yeah that’s my point. You can’t make a sweeping statement saying what does and does not qualify as a need. That’s exactly what I was saying. What is not a need to one is a need to another and vice versa. 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ssthompsssthomps member
    edited February 2018
    @ssthomps when you’ve offended someone, the polite response is to apologize for offending, not to argue with them about whether or not they should have been offended.
    So now I am getting a lesson on etiquette? I said it was not meant to be insensitive. :s  I was attempting to explain my statement not argue but clearly that was and is not good enough?

wrong emoji used. 
  • Welcome back @mrsbubbles-2

At least UO day is interesting and gets people talking right?  ;)
  • @ladygali I've been referring to my 'little guy' and 'little dude' all day. I'm not bothered by 'little man'. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• @jsnakehole I say little guy, too. I don’t even know why the other phrase bothers me, lol. I just can’t stand it  :D
  • Woah - work got crazy and I'm getting caught up.

First things first, can we all please stop casting judgement, even here in an UO thread, about what other moms decide to do? It's just not anyone's place to say that they don't agree with another mom's method. I don't care what you need to get through labor and birth (as long as it's legal and medically appropriate lol!), if you need it your bad ass self deserves it.

This is of course assuming that the mom's needs and methods are legal and in the best interest of the kids.

As far as arming teachers, I was in the Army and I have to say that no one should be handed a weapon and asked to defend themselves or others unless they are 1000% comfortable and confident in their ability to do so. Just arming teachers is never going to be the answer, if a teacher isn't confident in their abiltity to fire a weapon that weapon will have a greater percentage chance of being used for the wrong purpose.

Now if you have weapons experience, the confidence and feel like going through a rigorous screening and qualification process, maybe I can see it. Maybe.

As to the heroic teachers, I'm not being stirring the pot or judging here because there are a lot of emotions surrounding this topic but if I were in the position to protect anyone's kids, ANYONE's kids from something like a mass shooting I would do it without hesitation. Because I hope with all my heart that someone would protect my kid in the same scenario.
    This. 100%. 
  • I would hope and pray my daughters teacher attempted to shield her, but I can’t expect that from her. She didn’t sign up for that when she decided to become a teacher. 
  • @livinthesunnylife @legallykate
    Its not really an expectation to put yourself between anyone in these situations, at least in any district I've been in.  Our instructions are to get everyone into a corner/spot where they aren't seen from any window, lock the door, turn the lights off, and be silent.  

It still shouldn't take away from people being a hero and famed for it, when they chose to take that step. Would you ever say you were sick of hearing or celebrating someone who saved lives in a fire but lost their own? No? Then why ever make such a callous statement about  teachers or any other situation.  (general you, not you as an individual)

Just because it is a *common* occurrence doesn't make it any less heroic or worthy of praise than if it were a 1 in 100 years occurrence.

• @legallykate We may be talking around each other, but the way you originally phrase it lit a bonfire in my emotions.  It is fair or right that this is something that I have to think about or decide, no. Is it a part of the world where I live and am raising children, yes. Can I teach and preach change to my students, staff, and children, yes and I do. Do I actually expect it to get better during my or their lifetimes, no. 

Hence why I said arm teachers, after they have gone rigorous training and evaluations. I (personally) will and have stepped between my students and a threat. I should at least have a fighting chance to actually save them, if I am put into that type of situation again.

• ssthomps said:
    @ssthomps when you’ve offended someone, the polite response is to apologize for offending, not to argue with them about whether or not they should have been offended.
    So now I am getting a lesson on etiquette? I said it was not meant to be insensitive. :s  I was attempting to explain my statement not argue but clearly that was and is not good enough?

wrong emoji used. 
    You're not getting a lesson on anything and your response clearly shows you still don't get it. You continue "explaining" and making it worse. What you said came across as insensitive, even if that's not how it was meant, and the polite thing to do is apologize for that. Your "attempting to explain your statement" made it worse when all that was necessary was a simple "I'm sorry I hurt anyone's feelings, that wasn't my intent." The phrase digging a deeper hole for yourself keeps coming to mind. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Food for thought. My brother in law is a deputy. He makes $27k a year. I know because it’s in the paper every year. Required by law to be financially transparent. And he has to buy his own gun. And bullets. Isn’t that crazy. 
  • neeraja_k said:
    Isn't Pretty Woman just a modern take on Cinderella? Only instead of the Fairy Godmother, you have Hector Elizondo? :P

I don't remember anyone in Cinderalla being a hooker?  That seems very un-Disney esq
    Lol. No but it’s the same premise. Taking a beautiful young woman from poverty and she gets her fairy tale. Her happily ever after. Pretty woman is an adult movie!
  • Speaking of arming teachers. I am on the side of gun regulations not arming teachers but if we do they definitely need to properly trained. I just saw where in my home town they are talking about letting teachers bring their own guns to schools as protection... no training or guidance... this absolutely terrifies me. I can not believe the board is actually considering doing it this way.
  • ssthomps said:

wrong emoji used. 
    You're not getting a lesson on anything and your response clearly shows you still don't get it. You continue "explaining" and making it worse. What you said came across as insensitive, even if that's not how it was meant, and the polite thing to do is apologize for that. Your "attempting to explain your statement" made it worse when all that was necessary was a simple "I'm sorry I hurt anyone's feelings, that wasn't my intent." The phrase digging a deeper hole for yourself keeps coming to mind. 
  • I finally have one of my own! 

My UO: If you would not do something if you had to pay for it yourself, you should not bill it to your insurance.  Insurance is not a magical bucket of free money.  Americans want to complain about the rising cost of healthcare but they don't make decisions as though it's their own money.  One of the reasons the cost of healthcare is rising because people aren't making judicious decisions with their healthcare spending.  I think everyone should be on a high deductible healthplan where they have some skin in the game and are pushed to really think through healthcare decisions.  I pay out of pocket for all of our prescriptions, so I shop around and get them at the cheapest pharmacy (usually it's Costco)- not many people do that.  My epidural was $1200, I wasn't just deciding if I wanted the epidural, I was deciding if it was worth the investment. 
  • @livinthesunnylife I'm not sure I understand your UO.  I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to understand what you're saying.
  • @melbel0824 I'm saying that people should not treat health insurance like a magical bucket of free money and they should actually look at the costs of their healthcare and make a decision as if it were their own money. 

It's probably not a really interesting UO, but it might be something that a lot of people have never thought about.