April 2018 Moms

Suggestions to help with med free birth

I know we are low on numbers but I saw this thread in March and I thought we could share ideas and experiences as we prep to labor and deliver without meds! My 1st was super long so in the end I needed  an epidural because I was out of energy. But I am hoping for a quicker labor this time, and we can help eachother cope with the pain.

Save the preaching for church - this is strictly to support each other as we do our best to make the choices that are right for us. 
1. Why did you decide to try med-free for this birth?
2. Any previous experience going med-free? Any tips to share on how to be successful?
3. Are you using any specific method? Bradley? Hypnobirthing? 
4. What other questions or thoughts do you have?

Re: Suggestions to help with med free birth

• 1. Why did you decide to try med-free for this birth?
    ftm here and I have also wanted to go med free.  my mom had 4 kids and her last she did med free all other she had an epidural and going med free was her absolute favorite. 

2. Any previous experience going med-free? Any tips to share on how to be successful?
    no and my favorite thing I read was to make sure your hands and jaw are loose. if your hands and jaw stay loose you whole body will be more relaxed. 

no combination of several to see what works best for me 

I am super excited but nervous since this is my first birth. I have done a lot of reading but am nervous I don't really know what's going to happen.

I did it med free last birth and it was an incredible experience. No joke though, that was intense... I tell my husband it was way easier to prep for a labor last time around when 1) you have lots of time because you're not chasing a toddler around and 2) you don't actually know what to expect (I just prepped like I was going to run a marathon). This time however, when you *know* what labor med-free is like. Holy hell.... Im scared. *But* it was also magical and my only hope this time is that this one will be just as great. 

Previous experience yes, my previous first birth. Advice: 1) I drank electrolyte drink mixes and coconut water throughout the labor to keep energy up and replenish nutrients and it definitely helped. 2) I drank tons of Raspberry Leaf tea the whole pregnancy increasing in quantity towards the end and I *think* it helped make things go faster. Active labor was 5 hours, so I think it went well and I attribute a lot of that to the tea. Might be wrong, but couldn't hurt. Doing it again this time just to be safe. 3) Loosening your jaw and moaning deep sounds to help loosen the sphincters and relax tension, that advice was from Ina May's books and it *definitely* helped last time. But most importantly number 4) my mantra was "I need this pain, I want this pain." I know that sounds dark and negative, but I took it from an online video birthing coach I saw on YouTube who explained that in most situations pain means that something is wrong, but in the case of birth she said "Pain = Progress" So I tried to remind myself to relax through the pain and that it was a good sign and that I needed it. And it's effing hard to try convincing yourself that pain is *good* when you're going through this intensity, oh golly... but I feel that mantra is what kept me going. The other quote that helped me was "Sometimes the fear won't go away... so you'll just have to do it afraid." I'm clinging to that one this time around because, well... Now I actually know what I'm about to get into. Yikes.

No methods. Just watched YouTube birth classes last time because we couldn't afford to take a real one. And this time I'm just drawing off the previous experience. I listened to some hypnobirthing soundtracks on spotify last time. Honestly anything that gets you juiced and puts you in a good head space ahead of time will help you. 

Well... this time around I've been chasing my almost 2 year old around all day the entire pregnancy, and she is exhausting. Consequently, no me time, no research, no yoga, no gym time, no listening to hypno soundtracks, no LOTS of stuff that I feel helped last time around. Last time I got into the gym multiple times a week and trained like labor was going to be a marathon. This time... yeeeah, didn't happen. So I'm a little scared that I'm just *not* prepped like I was last time. Cause I'm absolutely NOT. If there are any STM out there who were in a similar boat the second time around, did it still go okay? People say the second labor is typically faster, which would be great.... But I remember needing *tons* of stamina and right now I get winded if I climb the stupid friggin stairs.... That scares me. I mean labor needs some serious endurance, and I just don't feel like I'm going to have it this time... 
  • Loading the player...
  • No time to write a whole post because the recess end bell just rang, but I highly highly recommend Hypnobabies!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• 1. Why did you decide to try med-free for this birth?  I went last time and I honestly hate needles.  One of the worst things about her labor was being hooked up to an iv for the antibiotics for strep b.  It was more uncomfortable than the contractions.  With dd my labor was fairly short though, from the moment they gave me pitocin to delivery was 7 hours so I know I was lucky.  
    2. Any previous experience going med-free? Any tips to share on how to be successful? I went without an epidural and had pitocin the first time.  For me, the contraction parts weren't bad it was the pushing.  With dd I had braxton hicks from 20 weeks on at a pretty regular basis and then practice contractions quite frequently the last month so I felt prepared for that; my true labor contractions were just more frequent than my practice ones.  Nothing in the world could have prepared me for the ring of fire.  
    3. Are you using any specific method? Bradley? Hypnobirthing? Didn't the last time, I have been trying to stay active during this pregnancy just like I was with dd.    
    4. What other questions or thoughts do you have?  If it was like her labor I could easily do it in a heartbeat.  I just worry about it being different this time and more intense.  I haven't been having as many braxton hicks this time so that slightly worries me.  
  • midnight-musemidnight-muse member
    edited February 2018
     I had an epidural( it fell out of my back!) with my first and pethidine. I hated both.
    I had diamorphine (I regret it because I wasn't told that I couldn't have a water birth after having that just in case I fell asleep in the tub!) and gas & air with my second. I hated both of them as well.
    The pain relief has always made me throw up and I'm totally out of my box which was awful for me.
    I don't want any pain relief with this one because I want to be in control for once. That's enough for me to not have anything.

I think because I've not had good experiences with pain relief it will be easier for me not to have any.
    The ball really helped with pain too. I sat and bounced on that most of my second labour.

3. Are you using any specific method? 
    I reallllyyyyy want a water birth at home. I'm thinking that simply being in water will help.
    The ball will be my best friend again.

4. What other questions or thoughts do you have? I think I'll be a lot more in control without Medication this time. That's just my opinion on pain relief. I hate it!!!!

• Thanks for this thread!

im afraid of the epi (the process, not feeling my body, risks, and after) and I’m really into the physiological process of labor and birth. It’s amazing how pain, oxytocin, and endorphins work together to push a baby out. My preference is to stay as close to that as possible, assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens. I’m staying flexible since you never know. If I get induced I’ll probably take an epi bc from what I’ve read and heard, the nature of the contractions when induced are much stronger and the physiology is interrupted (from brain perspective). 

no experience. I’ve read a few books including Ina May and one called Mindful Birthing. I’m planning on making my own electrolyte water so glad to know that was helpful!  For me, I think knowing about how the physiology works during the process will help me through the contractions-expansions (also thinking of them in this way). I’m also lucky to have MH fully commit to supporting me in this process so I think that will help in the moment.

No no specific method. More like mindful. Trying not to let fear take hold since that interrupts the physiology. I’ll definitely be trying the low moan to relax jaw and the mantras!! I’m also requesting a tub room as I’ve read water can be helpful for early and active labor.

my main concerns now are in advocating for myself against unnecessary interventions since I’m giving birth at a hospital. This is a leading hospital (it might be #1 nationally) but bc of that they are also very high in #s of CS bc of high risk births. Most women opt for pain medication. I am trying to have a fairly low intervention birth (assuming I can) so I’m just worried that I’ll have to speak up a lot and that could interfere with my progress.

Anyone have experience with this? For example, moving to me is going to be huge help, and if you are being monitored that severely limits your movement. 
  • I have yet to post or say anything in the April ‘18 Moms group, so sorry about that! But I’m due on April 10th :) anyway, back to the discussion. 

So I’m deciding to try this birth med-free because of my experience with my first. I had to be induced with Pitocin since I was leaking amniotic fluid & also had an epidural. Once I was hooked up to the Pitocin drip my contractions came fast & HARD. The plan was to see how far I could go without an epidural & I hoped that I might not even need one! Around 5cm dilated I couldn’t go any further. The contractions were so strong and were coming right after another with no breaks in between so I ended up asking for the epidural. Getting the epidural administered wasn’t a bad experience but I couldn’t feel A THING once it kicked in. I couldn’t even move my legs because I was so freakin numb. I was glad I was no longer in pain from the contractions but I couldn’t feel the pressure or the urge to push once it was time to start pushing. I felt like I had no control over anything & I hated it. Once I had my daughter & the epidural was removed, I had intense back pain & I swear for the longest time I didn’t know when I had to pee. I never had the urge to go so I would just voluntarily go sit on the tiolet thinking “oh wow I haven’t used the restroom for a bit” and it would always turn out I had to go. I eventually got the feeling back but it took about a week. 

Also, I’ve spoken to 2 different friends who have given birth once while being induced with Pitocin & who also have given birth med-free all natural. They both told me that the second time around without Pitocin, that it was not as excruciating as being induced. Obviously they were in pain & it was still hard (it’s still childbirth) but they said the contractions were much easier to manage & get through the second time around. I know that everyone’s labors are different but I am hoping that I can get through this med-free! 

No experience going med-free. Wish me luck!!!

No specific method, but I do have a doula this time so just really utilizing what she suggests for me. I plan on laboring in water to help with my progress, as well as using a ball. I’ve been really into meditating with my husband lately so maybe I’ll have him help me with that. We’ll see how it goes! Lol

Don’t think I have any specific questions but I am nervous about the ring of fire. I’ve heard that it’s no freakin joke & I’ve also heard others say that they didn’t even experience it. Wondering what my outcome will be! Lol 
    FTM also. I've been dead set on a med-free birth from the get go only because I have medical induced anxiety issues. Anytime I take a new medication I like someone to be around just in case I have an allergic reaction  (and I don't even HAVE any allergies to medicine). I spent the first 30 minutes after my TDAP half worried there'd be one. I love researching medical things and probably would have gone the med school route second to the field I'm in, but I'm borderline psycho about my own care lol. So, I figure the idea of too many new meds or an epidural tacked onto an already anxiety inducing scenario (first time in labor) , going in thinking that those things aren't even an option might be best for me. Obviously, if they are medically necessary for a healthy birth experience, I'm open to it!

Nope...first timer!

Nothing specific. Listening to a lot of guided meditations which my body responds very well to. I pretty much semi fall asleep / get trancy so I'm hoping that carries over to actual labor. Fiance already practices counter pressure massage stuff on me and I've got the birthing ball. Going to be talking to my doctor and the midwife at my practice at my next appointment for more ideas.

I actually haven't freaked out or worried about the birthing experience too much. I'm not scared of the pain and I've read heaps into the physiological process. Definitely think I'm underestimating the intensity and hope I don't get my pain threshold butt kicked since it's usually pretty good.
  • @nessa1632 it is doable to get pitocin and go without an epidural but it does depend on how your body progresses. It also depends on how high of a dose they give you. I think I was on the lowest dose possible and if I remember correctly they actually shut it off after a while. My water broke but I wasn't in active labor so time was of the essence.  
  • @rklinge0 I hadn’t thought about asking for a low dose- that’s a good idea. Thanks!!