September 2018 Moms

Ireland at 29 weeks?

My best friend is getting married in Ireland July 4th and I am the maid of honor. I will be 29 weeks pregnant at that time. Doctor said it is okay for me to go but my husband and I are a little worried of how I may feel at that time. It is hard to gage considering this is our first. The bride also wants everyone to follow her itinerary for the week and travel all over the place. I am thinking that since I am pregnant I will say we cant do that but we will obviously be there for the wedding/rehearsal dinner and then the rest of the trip we will play it low key and use it as our babymoon? My husband thinks I will be miserable and that it is a lot of money to spend. I agree with the money part but if we weren't pregnant we would have had to spend it too. I think turning it in to a babymoon and our last hurrah can help justify the cost. My husband also keeps saying that he doesn't think she would do the same for me if the roles were reversed. (she didn't come to my bridal shower because she scheduled a vacation). What do you guys think?

Re: Ireland at 29 weeks?

• I felt pretty great at 29 weeks with my first...I was a little slow moving, needed to do prenatal yoga to keep hip pain at bay, and couldn’t walk too too far, but overall was fine. If you WANT to go to Ireland I think you should, but it sounds like she’s a bit of a bridezilla and you don’t really want to go!

That being said, I have a work trip to Stockholm in mid-late June that I’m likely skipping because I don’t want to be “alone” without my husband and know I won’t rant to walk all over the city, which is what I usually do for fun on these trips!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was still travelling at 30 weeks. Before you book flights and everything make sure you check airlines policies on cancellations in case your pregnancy changes and ob decides you shouldn't go, and some airlines wont fly you after so many weeks(so make sure your flight home is before that date). Also do a little research into doctors and hospitals where you're going. If for whatever reason something happens or you just want to get a check its nice to know where to go. It'll be fun to have a last hooray before baby comes!
  • blah just checked. Aer lingus would be the airline we would fly and they don't offer travel insurance. It would be nonrefundable.

• Sounds fun. If you want to go I say go for it, you should be feeling pretty well. Ireland is gorgeous
  • I was feeling pretty good up until about 34 weeks.  If you want to go, to for it.  But plan to be slower and not be able to do as much as you normally would.  I definitely wouldn't want to be following someone else's itinery at that point though.
    If your husband is uncomfortable with it, either medically or financially definitely talk to him about it.  I wouldn't do it unless both of us were on board and excited about it
  • I felt great until about 41 weeks with my first. You’ll be fine unless your doctor tells you otherwise. 
    Daisypath - RkZ5
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • If you decide to go you can get travel insurance through an outside company, it doesn’t have to be through the airline.
  • I would go and communicate your expectations for the week ahead of time so there are no surprises. 

We’re actually planning a cross country move at 29 weeks (2,000 miles with two dogs) that my OB is fine with. 
  • Sorry I didn't get a  chance to look in to how to make a screen name yet. I checked in my profile and nothing to change there so will have to look in to the instructions that are posted. I am new to this so didn't know how it worked!
  • I would talk to your doc and see what their opinion is. We did a vacation when I was 32 weeks and my OB was fine with it (not an international trip but was across the country). I also did a 12 hr road trip at 34 weeks and they just had me take my medical records with me and be aware of where the hospitals were along our route. I think a lot of it is whether you feel comfortable and up to the trip and if your OB is okay with it.
  • How was the flight travel and roadtrip? I am just worried a little worried about sitting for so long on a flight and blood clots. Will get those compression socks and make sure to walk around I guess but a little worried at the risk.  
  • We’re taking a trip when I’ll be 28 weeks, and it’s about a 5-1/2 hour flight. It’s going to be uncomfortable, I’m sure, but I’m very much looking forward to the vacation. I wouldn’t be up for a super busy vacation, and I think that picking and choosing what (if anything) you do with the group would be wise. Are you on the east coast? No way I’d fly to Ireland at 29 weeks, but I’m on the west coast. The 5-6 hours is the max flight I’m willing to deal with.

There’s no way to know how your pregnancy will go, but being pregnant alone isn’t enough reason not to go IMO. Get travel insurance for sure. But if you can afford to go and want to go, then plan it. And don’t make your decision based on what that friend would or wouldn’t do or wants you to do - if you want to do this for her, great. Be a good friend. Don’t let her pressure you into it, and don’t not go just because she’s not always a great friend.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • So now in talking to my husband, he is like dead set against going. I think he is more thinking about the cost as well and I do agree. The trip would cost at least $4,000. Being that we are having a baby and there will be numerous costs with that this year, I know it is not the best idea to spend that. My parents and family also think it is not a good idea to go. Ughh now I am so conflicted. I think I will call her this weekend and tell her i'm pregnant and talk to her about it.
  • I understand your husbands concerns.  4k is a lot of money to spend on a vacation when you've got a baby coming.  It would definitely come in handy once the little one is here.  I'm trying to figure out a way out of a trip we already booked when I'll be 7.5 months.  Not cuz I don't think I can safely go, but I want to save the 2k and week of vacation.  Unfortunately, we already committed before I got pregnant and non refunfable accommodations have been booked.  If we don't go, our friends will be on the hook for our portion which isn't fair.  I'm hoping once I announce I can find someone that wants to take our room
  • I can't speak to international flights, but I did go on a week+ long camping trip to Yellowstone last pregnancy around 23 weeks, which included a long drive each way. However, my husband and I totally set our own schedule and I could rest, nap, get snacks, etc anytime, very low stress, mostly driving around sightseeing with short walks interspersed. Some things to think about: 
    - will there be a lot of time intensive/physically demanding maid of honor duties to fulfill?
    - jetlag / time difference?
    - sticking to a group schedule vs. ability to rest, nap?
    - can you bring body pillow (s) on plane or get lots of pillows at destination? I def needed my body pillow at that point.
    Good luck with your decision!
  • I’m flying across the country for my brother’s wedding when I will be 26 weeks. I’m terrified, and I know there is a chance I won’t be able to go. No way to predict how I’ll feel. Good luck!
  • I felt great at 29 weeks. I was sporting a bump wasnt third trimester huge. I would totally go and enjoy it to the fullest. Do it for you and hubby, even if you follow the interest and enjoy Ireland! I'd do it in a heartbeat!

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18