June 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinion Thursday (2/8)

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday (2/8)

• This isn't really my opinion, it is my MIL's, but I found it surprising, so I'm sharing with you all. She is super anti-baby shower or really any baby prep. She blames it on her Italian superstitions and was really against us buying cribs already. I'm fine with whatever she wants to believe, but I have to get some stuff before the babies come!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 - I have heard of this! I know a few folks that will ensure that anything new for the baby is not in the house until the baby is born. (Then while you are still in hospital it comes over) I believe this is a carryover from the days when there was more heartbreak around delivery. 

My unpopular opinion is I don't like raw cookie dough. Ick. Never have. I think it is grainy, and the texture is weird. I will wait til they are baked!
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @rnielsen321 I have never heard of that! However, when my brother and SIL got married, my SIL's mother wouldn't let them have any shower gifts until after the wedding. I guess, same idea???

Also, WHAT? The best part of raw cookie dough is the grainy texture! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hate This is Us. I think all of the characters are annoying, especially Mandy Moore. Randall’s wife is cool, but nobody else.
  • @LaceyBee522 weird, my Italian side is all about baby prep, but my/DHs Jewish side are aghast by it. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 Maybe the NY Italians were influenced by the NY Jewish population?? She always does that thing where she spits twice over her shoulder at her two fingers. <----- Don't know if that makes any sense.

@pupsicle23 I've never SEEN This Is Us. I just thought it would be too emotional for me to watch. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 not sure of their reasoning (could be Jewish custom?) but my boss did the same thing, his second wife and her first (his 7th) child back in August. They would not say the baby's name, let us throw a baby shower, or accept gifts for the baby until after she was born. In fact they complained for days bc they ordered the crib off the internet the weekend before her due date. She had the baby the day after her due date. The crib arrived the day the left the hospital. But the crib arrived broken, so they had to send it back & wait for another. Then the company sent the wrong color (the box had the right color so someone put the wrong color in the box). They sent it back and just purchased one from a store locally, but they still had to assemble it. She was frustrated bc the baby didn't have a crib for the first 3 weeks.  

Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @LaceyBee522 lol just New York neurosis 
  • Austenista  Austenista member
    edited February 2018
    @LaceyBee522, @helenbz has referenced this a lot. Helen, you're from Scotland? Ireland? I'm sorry, if that's wrong, I'm trying to remember. I've heard of this before too and thought it was just country-folk, Appalachian type superstition (N. GA native here). How interesting that it's a lot more prevalent of superstition than I realized! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista I too was thinking of @helenbz when I read @LaceyBee522 post.  I think it is Scotland?  

@rnielsen321 I never had cookie dough until a met DH and even though I love it, some cookie doughs are plain disgusting (i.e. some ice cream brands).  I find the same thing with tapioca pearls in bubble tea.  I loooove bubble tea but this one place I went to had the most disgusting tapioca pearls and now it always makes me wary when I try new places!

@pupsicle23 I love This Is Us but I have to admit that old Rebecca/Mandy just seems so odd and out of place at times - probably my least favorite character.  They never really developed the older side of her.
  • @rnielsen321 if I could eat only cookie dough for the rest of my life, I would be totally fine with it! Literally the best park of baking is eating the dough/batter. 

@pupsicle23 I agree! It's not that I hated it, but I only watched the first few episodes and it just didn't hold my interest. I usually love family dramas, but I just found that one kinda boring. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @MoonOverGoldsboro yeeeeees. Agree wholeheartedly. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • On a similar note, I hate how some shows kill off characters for no reason other than shock factor. It's lazy writing and way overdone. There are dozens of other ways to write characters off of a show.  Sometimes a character death moves the show along, motivates other characters, but several shows do it just because they can. (I'm looking at you, Grey's Anatomy)
  • @May14th2011 in the case of greys, they almost never kill off main characters unless the actors demand it. I believe Katherine Heigl actually really wanted them to kill her off but they were so convinced they could get her to agree to stay they refused. But that storyline ended up wonky af. 

But I do agree. I’ve heard some people argue that should just get new actors to fill in those roles once the main actors want to leave. I think I could get down with that in some instances but I think it’d annoy me too much in most. 
  • @May14th2011 I feel like GOT is that way too. "Lets see how many people we can kill this episode". Which I guess is my UO, I'm not into GOT at all and I hate how when it's on it's all anyone talks about/posts about on social media. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @doxiemoxie212 I hadn't heard that the actors were requesting it- that changes things, but I'm still not a fan of everyone dying, lol.
  • @elsie42 the show is based on the books, and GRRM is notorious for killing off his characters, but in the books everything is so much more fleshed out and nuanced so it makes more sense why they all die etc. 
  • I haven’t watched GOT, but I think I need to read the books. I take it you have read them, @doxiemoxie212? Worth the time investment? I like fantasy when the world is built really well, if that makes sense!
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @MoonOverGoldsboro Looove GOT. I'll be honest, I usually enjoy the book more over its TV/movie counterpart, but I tried reading the first GOT book and didn't really relate to the characters the same way I did in the show, and ultimately lost interest in finishing it. The cast is pretty amazing in the show, especially Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. I think a lot of people enjoy the books though, so maybe this is just my UO!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MoonOverGoldsboro I mean, the books aren’t hyped for no reason. They’re probably the best fantasy books of our generation. It’s certainly a time commitment, but they’re significantly different from the show, and the character/world development is the reason they’re so long so if you’re into that you’ll be into them. 
  • @moonovergoldsboro I read the books before the TV show was even planned.  I love them.  I think everyone should read them. However, I don't like the show because there is so much more in the books that is missing from the show.  
  • @MoonOverGoldsboro Reading them truly is a time commitment.  Especially since Mr. Martin takes his sweet time releasing the new ones (pushing 8 years now for the next book).  I read them before the series came out and I loved them, but it's been so long that I'm sad I can't remember some of the major plot points that were in the later books that were missed from the tv series.  I considered re-reading them but, again, too long, but I'll probably have to when the new book finally comes out.  One day.  The series is awesome too.  If you want to do both, definitely read them before you start watching - you have a little over a year before the new season starts  ;)
  • @MoonOverGoldsboro just to echo what others have said, the books are amazing! Definitely worth the read if you like the fantasy genre. If it seems too daunting, I'd recommend giving the audio books a try. I listen to them in my car when I'm stuck in traffic or if we're going on a road trip and the narrator is great.  

@marcus7676 I try to look at the book and the show as two different interpretations of a story taking place in the same universe. Especially now that the show has gone past the books, and it helps forgive the show for leaving stuff out. Wish I could give the Hobbit the same coutesy but I'm still fuming over that crap. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• silvergreensilvergreen member
    edited February 2018
    @MoonOverGoldsboro Yep, see! Definitely my UO. But I'm totally OCD about how characters translate from books to movies/TV and vice versa. That's why I'll usually try to honour the original version, but I didn't realise GOT was originally books until a season or two in!

Also, while we're on the subject of translating characters from books to movies/shows, I get irrationally annoyed when characters are described in detail but are the complete opposite on-screen! I think Sookie from True Blood was one such scenario, and also Briony from Atonement. Don't get me started on genetics (e.g. on-screen parents with recessive traits but have kids with dominant ones).

ETA: Potential spoiler:

On that note, it's actually how I recognised a plot twist in the first season of GOT before it was even revealed, so major respect to George R. R. Martin!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • +1 on the True Blood Sookie annoyance, @silvergreen.

@marcus7676 I like when shows don't mirror or omit details from the books they're based off of. At least, that's what I liked about True Blood until I quit watching it. There was just enough difference to pique my interest and there were still some surprises. I haven't yet read a Song of Ice and Fire, though, so maybe I would be annoyed if I had. 
  • edited February 2018
    @silvergreen Amen! When I quit watching I kinda missed him like a friend. 

edited because words are difficult.
  • You've convinced me, guys! Honestly, I knew these books were very good, but I didn't know how highly revered they were until I Wikipedia-ed them this morning, ha. Fantasy is not my #1 genre (Neil Gaiman's Stardust is probably my favorite, and I'm not really sure what that says), so I didn't realize how seriously award-winning they were! I'm kinda pumped.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • becca_123becca_123 member
    edited February 2018
    @kfren I totally agree with you 100% on that.  I think it's unrealistic when people expect movies to be identical to the books.  a) there's no way in hell every detail can be included and b) it would be boring to watch because you already can predict everything.  You haven't read them but it holds true to GoT on a much more intense level, so I like that it differs a bit. @Amphibious22 hit the nail on the head too with seeing it as two different interpretations of the same universe.  Double the fun!

Eta I recently watched all of True Blood (never read them) and Sookie was always so annoying that I struggled to finish it  :s
  • @becca_123 okay but they could make Harry Potter movies that were 6 hours long with line for line dialogue and details and I'd watch them. I'm one of those nerds  :D
  • @May14th2011 I'd totally watch a 6 hour HP movie but I still stand by that word for word would be cheesy and boring lol
  • @becca_123 Honestly, the books were alright but I probably wouldn't read them again. Sookie seems a little more intelligent in them than she is in the series, lol. And the series is only very loosely based on the books, with some characters and plots being completely omitted and others brought to prominence - Lafayette was barely in the books, for example. Sookie was probably my least favourite character in the show, so it was kinda sucky (no pun intended) that it revolved around her, so I'm glad they introduced some strong storylines for the other characters!
    BabyFruit Ticker