October 2018 Moms

Hair dye? And other questionable products?

hey ladies... taking a poll. Is dying your hair during first trimester safe to do? I’m reading so many mixed reviews.

also, what other types of beauty and hygiene products should I be cautious with? It’s my first time and I want to do this the right way! I’m being careful now to avoid parabens ... help!

Re: Hair dye? And other questionable products?

• It's not really that dangerous to color your hair during pregnancy. The main concern is the fumes so you'll want to be in a well-ventilated area when you do it. As long as the hair dye doesn't touch your scalp, there's no risk of you absorbing anything harmful. 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • It just depends on your preference. I have friends who continued dying their hair consistently throughout pregnancy and they have healthy kids. I am supposed to do a temporary dye in the next few weeks and I'm really not concerned about it. As long as you aren't getting your hair dyed on a weekly basis I think it's probably ok. I will say though that if something does go wrong, you might always question if it's because you dyed your hair that one time. *TW* Before my MC in October I was raking leaves for a couple hours and started spotting later that day. I don't really think that caused it, but I'm still paranoid about any sort of physical activity besides light walking because part of me still does wonder about the timing of it all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was pregnant with my daughter I dyed my hair once every 2-3 months mainly just to cover the gray hairs and she was totally fine. My OB had no issues with it either.
  • I think the only thing you really need to avoid beauty wise is anti-aging creams with retinol/retinoids.  Everything else is more up to your discretion, at least this is what i was told last time around.  I've never dyed my hair, so i didn't even think to ask!
  • I've been wondering about this too. I have a hair appointment on Saturday that I've been wondering if I should cancel. But my best friend said her OB told her it was totally fine. So right now I'm thinking I'll just go for it.
  • My OB told me it was fine if I wanted to dye my hair, but I only use temporary colors and only in the ends so maybe that's why he said it was OK...
  • My OB never had a concern with it.

image        image

• So this past year I started working with a company called Beautycounter who has a mission of getting safer products into the hands of everyone. The last time I was pregnant was when I realized there was a problem with a lot of the ingredients in the products I was using. Beautycounter is leading a movement to
    get stricter regulations in the personal care industry so we dont have to scrutinize labels. We also have high performing safe products that we ban 1500 ingredients from. Idon't mean to make this sound like a sales pitch at all, but I just want to educate others with all the information I have learned. Here is a copy of our Never List (those 1500 ingredients we ban) so that you can use it to know which ingredients to stay away from (pregnant or not). Reach out if you want more information, I would be happy to share. 
  • And as far as the hair dye, these are some brands I have heard of with safer ingredients...
  • There is also an app called Think Dirty that is great for picking safer beauty products. You can actually scan the product in store and it will tell you how bad it is. It doesn't have every product in it's database, but it's still very helpful. 
  • My OBs office specified they do not recommend hair coloring during the first trimester. As a result, during my last appointment, I only got my hair cut and the greys are overdue for a touch up. Looking forward to a hair appointment 2nd tri! 
  • tabbiekat13tabbiekat13 member
    edited February 2018
    @acciocoffee Think Dirty has the right idea for sure. However,  EWG's Healthy Living app is more trustworthy. EWG bases their ratings on scientific research, whereas TD gathers it's information from anywhere on the internet (and Dr. Google isn't always legit). TD also tends to worsen scores on products containing ingredients that are considered allergens. However, if you don't have an allergy to it, the product could be perfectly safe for you. So like I said TD has the right idea, they just need to clean up the standards they use to gather information and conduct the actual ratings.
  • Check out the book Expecting Better. Goes over lots of the hot issues and breaks it down with studies and facts to help you make your own decision on if it is worth it or not. 
  • Ginger tea? Im reading conflicting things.
  • Hair dye is a judgement call, but I wouldn’t worry about it. Do cut out any face washes/lotions containing retinoids or salicylic acid.
    BabyFruit Ticker