August 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinion 1/25

Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Unpopular Opinion 1/25

• Way to start the thread @calimom2524 my organized friend!  Now I just gotta think of one....
  • Loading the player...
  • Way to start the thread @calimom2524 my organized friend!  Now I just gotta think of one....
    Lol I didn't start it! And I'm not organized at all  :p@mrsbubbles-2 is the organized one here! 

I had a hella good UO on like Monday or something and now I forget what it was. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Woah, I swear it showed your pic earlier?  I'm still adjusting to the lack of coffee I think....
  • Haha I wouldn't be surprised, TB likes to mix up profile pictures. I wouldn't know who you were without yours, yours always makes me so happy! Also, drink all of the coffee!!! 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @calimom2524 Awe thanks, it's a facade cause I'm not really that nice lol....

I can't stand the smell of coffee pregnant, either time.  Like walking by the coffee pot makes me want to puke.  So hot tea is my solution... It doesn't seem to clear the brain fog as well in the mornings.
  • derbysquirrelderbysquirrel member
    edited January 2018
    @jsnakehole
    I agree. I watched the first season, but I felt that they were just brazenly attempting to emotionally manipulate me, which I hate. Too melodramatic for my taste, which is too bad, because I think the premise is cool. I haven't bothered with season 2, but from what I hear it's only getting worse/more manipulative and melodramatic.

@mrsbubbles-2
    I now wonder if you're referencing me (though I'm certainly not a one-off poster) because I mentioned my weight gain. I struggle with body image, and always have. I am the only member of my family who is not obese, but it is a daily struggle for me. It was (along with smoking) my biggest deterrent from having kids for many years. I am already at my highest ever weight, and while I know that it comes with being pregnant, and I've accepted that, I've gained 13 pounds already, and it terrifies me that it won't stop, or the weight won't fall off. I really appreciate the posters who said they gained 50+ pounds during pregnancy, and it DOES come back off. It is a legitimate source of anxiety for me, and has been since about the 4th grade. I don't mean to be an AW; it's a real fear.
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ooohhh! Did mine and @calimom2524's profile pics get swapped?!? Scandalous! :wink:

@calimom2524 I've thought that we need to start ALL the threads (MBF, TMI, UO, etc) on Monday because the same thing happens to me - I have an awesome FFFC on Tuesday and can't remember for the life of me by Friday.

@livinthesunnylife I normally am kinda 'meh' about the smell of coffee but lately I'm like

And the same with the cleaning isle at the grocery store! Normally it's a little overwhelming but lately I could hang there with the smell of fabric softener and air wics all day. Pregnancy nose is weird
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • livinthesunnylife I agree! I have no idea why it bothers me either but I can't stand it. I thought I was the only one! I don't want to say it jinxes it but something about it seems weird to me. 
  • I have zero interest in 'This Is Us'. I can't stand shows that just up the drama ante by adding more ridiculous drama. I'm more of an NBC comedy person- DH and I have been binging 'The Good Place'. 
    Yes to the Good Place! I binged it while we were overseas a few months ago.  Sometimes its nice to watch a show without really "thinking" about it haha
  • @scottishlass1213 I agree about the conversations. If I don’t respond right away I’ll never remember where I saw the convo. 

@jsnakehole I’ve also never watched This Is Us and have no interest. But I don’t really watch much tv at all. 
  • melpropmelprop member
    edited January 2018
    @scottishlass1213 yes! Or there will be similar convos in different threads, like symptoms in both the symptoms & random threads, and I can’t remember what is where. I can’t get on TB when I’m at work, so I usually only read & comment at home in the morning & evening. But then there will be 6 new topics in the random thread in an 8-hr period. 

ETA: My phone apparently thinks random = ransoms. DYAC! 
  • Welllllll, I was raised to believe that you don't take your kids to daycare until they can speak. However, I was raised by my grandparents and realize that this is an old school of thought. It's just that I see stories that detail toddlers being mistreated often. This is my UO but I wouldn't mind being talked into utilizing daycare and reaping it's benefits. 
  • My UO, I think reality TV is the stupidest thing to ever be a thing.

I don't watch much actual network TV anymore anyway, mostly reruns on MeTV or Netflix in the background for noise. But it really makes me wonder about people who actually enjoy reality TV. 
  • @livinthesunnylife I agree to a point. Monogramming things, tagging pics, hashtags are too much for me. However, I use babies name in everyday conversations. Such as 'Emma is really telling me to get the extra taco right now.' Or 'DAMN Lachlan is super upset/happy about something.'  I feel that those name drops help me to start to visualize the baby and make it more 'real' and I can start to feel an attachment. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• @livinthesunnylife Omg, thank you for such a thorough response. Research EVERYTHING, connect with teachers, and trust the mom gut! I think that will really make me feel comfortable with my daycare decision, especially when family members give me the third degree. Oh, and that inspection report tidbit. Priceless!
  • @calimom2524 Yes!  Hashtags in general= awful.

@princesslockness I think they had me when the signed the birthday gift to my son with the baby's name too....sorry, the 5M old fetus did not help pick out his gift....  I understand referring to the baby by their name in the way that you said, but that's living in reality about what the kid is and isn't doing.  They aren't buying birthday gifts or signing Christmas cards yet.

@satin_doll I don't let family watch our son.  What qualifications do they have?  Daycare teachers have years of experience and qualifications.  Watch them change a diaper on a squirmy toddler and you'll be in awe at their talent.  My mom can watch my son, because she's amazing.  But MIL?  Never.  Nope, not happening. 
  • @westphilly Thanks for thorough response! I feel the same about stimulation. I know that professionals and interaction can further my child's growth better than I can.

@jsnakehole I'm sorry for making you feel that way. I hope you can understand that shaming wasn't my intention. Just trying to participate and knew that I could get some much needed advice here to open my own options up. It's weird that you got that idea because I know my family will shame me for using daycare, if I choose to. 
  • @calimom2524 I’m with you on the stupid hashtags for your kid and I REALLY hate the punny/cutesy hashtags for weddings these days. Ugh, thank the good lord I got married before all that crap started. 
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    edited January 2018
    We had no clue what DS’s  name was until we had him. This time, I’d like to pick one because I feel like it would help DS bond, but that’s probably ridiculous. I also get weird jinx feelings. Like we already bought a crib because a friend was selling hers for super cheap and it felt silly to pass up, but it makes me uneasy kind of.

eta: I’m also really trying to think of an UO but can’t! 
  • My fetus has a first name, but I don't know what it is yet. We have a boy name and a girl name, but until it's born and we know the sex I don't know which we'll use. I just call it "the fetus." Sometimes I wish I had a better way to refer to it, but this is working for now.
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @derbysquirrel I started singing your first sentence to the Oscar Meyer bologna theme song. Lol! 
  • @satin_doll I was a “grandparents raised me while parents worked” kid. I put DS in FT daycare at 2.5yo, when I went back to college. 

We tried the grandparent route when DS was younger, and it was a disaster. I would pack a bag with everything DS would need for the day, and MIL wouldn’t use the stuff. DH’s nephew was there a lot around the same time. MIL would use the nephew’s diapers instead of DS’s even though the nephew’s diapers gave DS horrible diaper rash. Or the nephew’s mom would send kool-aid in, so MIL would give both boys kool-aid instead of giving DS the milk I sent up. Then the food & drink I sent up was left in the bag to spoil. When I put him in daycare, he flourished, as opposed to being left in a play pen to his own devices at his grandparents’ house. Even now, they complain that they don’t see him much, but when he is up there they turn on Netflix and sit him in front of the TV while they play cards. 
  • @calimom2524 @ecwk Yes, to be clear, I so do not want to have to make that decision and hate that anyone has to make it (hence my currently being so anxious about my NIPT results that I can barely function) but I just don't get the "nothing would make me make that decision" rhetoric, I agree @ecwk that people maybe just aren't really thinking about what they are saying.
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• Welllllll, I was raised to believe that you don't take your kids to daycare until they can speak. However, I was raised by my grandparents and realize that this is an old school of thought. It's just that I see stories that detail toddlers being mistreated often. This is my UO but I wouldn't mind being talked into utilizing daycare and reaping it's benefits. 

On the flip side of what everyone else is pointing out (but still supporting the same idea), I have a 4yo and 2yo in daycare, both very verbal, and I 100% would not trust them to tell me if they were being mistreated. Between the nonsensical things kids say and their inability to even remember what they did at school that day or what they had for lunch, I just know I wouldn't hear it from them anyway. So it's important to trust the daycare etc as others have said - my kids love their daycare teachers basically as much as me and I know they are in good hands there, and I am incredibly choosy about where I will leave them.

• Oh @legallykate I totally get what you mean! I agree with you 100%. I hope you get your results soon to put your mind at ease!! xo 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker