September 2018 Moms

Weekly Randoms 1/15

Re: Weekly Randoms 1/15

• @treeofcheem I completely agree with your last paragraph. I needed A LOT of support when I was learning to breastfeed. I'm thankful for the support I did get that allowed me to EBF for as long as I did. I would have loved an in person new mom group, I felt so lost with a newborn, but I don't think that exists in my small town where I live. 

In general, moms need support, period. I always encourage my friends with newborns to call or text me with ANY questions, because this mom stuff is hard.
  • Loading the player...
  • @treeofcheem I agree! My BMB with my DD has been such a lifesaver for me! My mom is a lactation consultant and she barely breastfed with me because people just didn’t do it that long back then, especially if they were working. I have been so lucky to have her support as well as the BMB since they are going through the same things as me at the same time. I have told everyone I know who is pregnant to join a BMB. It actually annoyed me a little that my sister didn’t because the support and advice is so invaluable (her response was: “well I’ll just ask you.”).
  • Anyone else totally obsessed with being pregnant? I feel like I can't think about anything else since finding out on Friday. And this is my second rodeo! I thought I'd be a little more chill about it this time around... nope. 
  • @yosemite2018 Thanks for the article share. I'm  a little apprehensive about BF again as my first experience did not go at all as planned, and I ended up pumping exclusively for the last 12 months.

@treeofcheem I agree with your assessment. Even though I had support from female relatives, no one had actually done it themselves. I felt like I was alone in my learning experience sometimes. I hope the future will bring greater appreciation and understanding of the kind of support that women need in their BF journeys. I guess, in some ways, that's up to us moms of today. 

On an unrelated and random note, my DS starts his first experience this weekend with an organized sport. Indoor soccer at the YMCA. I think he's split between being really excited about it and totally dreading it. He's just such a shy 3.5yo. And unfortunately DH and I are not social butterflies ourselves. I hope it goes well!
  • I'm having trouble sleeping in our bed... I will wake up in the middle of the night and go lay on the couch. Both are quite comfy. I don't know why I'm changing it up. Bed is raised a bit and couch is more lower... maybe that's it.
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• @Mandamay1414 I found out on Fri too! Also my second and can't stop thinking about it. I feel so much more paranoid this time around too.
  • @katethemom DD is about the same age as your DS and I've been thinking about getting her into the indoor soccer available here! I'd love to hear how it goes. I hope he has a blast.

@Lcardinal04 That's creepy! It's crazy that some people are that intuitive. It'll be neat to see if she's right.
  • @Jyoung327 What?? But New Girl was JUST added! I am super sad. 

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • @Lcardinal04 that's freaky! My dad had a waking dream I was having a boy when pregnant with DS (lots of back story regarding my dad, too long for now). Last month he kept telling me twins. Now here we are, preg and I'm kinda freaked out he might be right  :#
  • @Jyoung327. What about New Girl on hulu?  Thats where I've always watched it...
  • @Mandamay1414 and @prpl11butterfly I found out last Monday but also my second and also completely obsessed. I beg my husband every day to let me tell everyone
  • @Mandamay1414 I found out on Fri too! Also my second and can't stop thinking about it. I feel so much more paranoid this time around too.
    Agree about feeling more paranoid.. I think I'm so worried about something going wrong or losing this baby because I know what I would miss out on this time. With DD, I worried about something happening, but I don't think I could full grasp the the the impact it would have on me if something happened. Now I know how amazing it is to have a little person to love and watch grow up, so the paranoia that something might happen to take that away is huge. Does that make sense at all? Here to hoping we have no reasons to worry and that we can keep our paranoia in check :).

Also @prpl11butterfly - wouldn't that be crazy if your dad was right a second time?!? Twins! I can't even imagine. Kudos to all the moms of multiples out there. I feel like I can barely handle one newborn at a time, lol. 
  • @allisontakesontwo I'm dying to tell but that's because with my first, my boss and I were super close. We worked in a small room alone and were actually on the same cycle. She knew when I was late  :D so i had someone to talk to about it all.day.long. Now I am in a new job (less then a year) and I love these women, but just not the same. My new boss is 20wks and earlier last year had a 2nd tri loss. I know she'll be excited for me but just want to hold off a bit. This is her first and I want her to have the spotlight a little longer.

@Mandamay1414 I think my paranoia stems from being apart of another bmb and having seen so many of them have CPs over the 2 years. I wasn't active here until 3 or 4m in with DS so I wasn't as aware. I didn't test early so I know it's likely not an issue. I'm also having more cramping and sensation then I remeber with DS. I completely get why I'm feeling more but can't reason with crazy  :D And, if my dad is right I'ma go insane. DS is 2.5, plus 9yo neice in custody (working on adopting). I'm not sure I can handle being mom of 4  :o:# 
  • I’m at my first appointment (yay!) and have been waiting for an hour and 15 min. They just told me they’re about a half our behind (O RLY?) and then called someone else back before me. 

Im about to hanger rage in this bitch. 

And i I know I need a new screen name but I’m lazy and also can’t think of anything. I swore I had one when I registered. 
  • @lcardinal04 We think she's an aussie mix. One day we'll do that doggie DNA test thing on them both. Also, what a crazy story about the foster mom! 

• @mandamay88 I'm the opposite - i keep forgetting!  Poor second child. 

@katethemom I'm super apprehensive about BF again, too. I ended up exclusively pumping for 9 months, but I was a "barely enougher" ao it was a HUGE source of stress and anxiety. I also did the math. I spent, on average,  4 hours PER DAY pumping, cleaning pump parts, or prepping to pump.  I just don't know how to deal with that kind of time suck!

I hope bfing will go better this time, but I have lower expectations. DS did fine on formula (of course he did) once I stopped pumping, so hopefully I'll be okay making the transition earlier if it's to stressful. 

I also wish more people talked about EPing as an option though. I had no idea what to do until I was in it and it would have been nice to have heard of other's experiences and tips to do it.

• We had to cancel our cruise 9 days before we were set to leave because of Zika. We were honestly considering rescheduling it to April anyway because even Zofran isn’t helping my nausea but with Zika, I don’t think I’ll be cruising at all this year.
    Photobucket Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hey all! I'm actually strangely excited about BFing again. I had a super rough time with it while in the hospital with DS, especially because he was in the NICU his first night and got some formula. I didn't really get the hang of it until we were home and my milk came in - despite being at a GREAT hospital with tons of support. We were able to stop supplementing after the first week, and then I nursed until 14months, when we fully weaned (which was easy bc DS loves drinking from a cup, lol). I think I'll just be a lot more confident next time around and won't panic as easily. Plus I hope the pain in the beginning is a lot less? Surely my nips have toughed up enough to make it easier from the get-go? The thought of lying in bed with a tiny new nursing baby just makes my heart explode.

Ooh, however, I'm just now thinking of the reality of living near my in-laws as we do now. We actually lived with them for 3 weeks when DS was 5.5 months old, and I wasn't comfortable nursing in front of them (though I regularly NIP without a care). I don't think they'd be comfortable with it either. It will be interesting to see how that all works when they're coming to visit our house with a baby who will be nursing nonstop if all goes well.... because I sure as hell won't be moving to a different room in my own house. I really hope it's something that we can all feel comfortable with very quickly when the time comes.
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• @yogapants247 I am also super excited about Bfing again. I nursed DS until 16m and aside from the NICU, sounds like out experiences were similar.
  • FX they react exactly the way they should when you tell them. You shouldn't have to worry that they'll be anything less than thrilled!
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015

• @AdmiralKitty I'm nervous about telling my parents, too. Before we got pregnant, I had been trying for several months to move from part-time to full-time and advance in my career some before having another baby (which is what my mom really wanted to see me do). But nothing seemed to be working out, and I just couldn't wait any longer. I'm expecting a "but I thought you were going to..." kind of reaction.

@bumblenaut I'll let you know how it goes! We bought his shinguards last night, and I think that got him a little more excited about it. Hopefully the game won't be cancelled with all this crazy snow we're getting in NC right now. 

@lilsebastian I know exactly how you feel. There were times DH would be feeding DS the last few ounces of breast milk while I was scrambling around to get pump supplies washed just to pump a few more ounces. It was non-stop and so overwhelming at times. I'm determined to be easier on myself this time, too, and not worry if I have to supplement with formula. 

@Lcardinal04 It's awesome that you kept with it even with having to work. Last time I was a full-time SAHM, but this time I'll be pumping at work 2 days a week, so it will be a new experience for me. 
  • @katethemom - Where in NC are you? I live in Matthews (right outside of Charlotte) - never thought we'd ACTUALLY get snow!

Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015

• @AdmiralKitty I hear you on fearing the weird parental reactions.  FFWC - partially why I'm doing the moms-reveal with mine on speaker.  Hoping she'll be less likely to say something idiotic with MIL right there at the same time... :/
  • @yogapants247 I know right, it's crazy out there! I'm pretty close by, just over in Asheboro.
  • Well, I was super excited the past 3 days because I tried feeding DD yogurt and cheese (she is allergic to dairy, but her doc said most kids grow out of it by age 2) and she was totally fine.. no hives, no rash, no change in behavior. Until today. She has a diaper rash and cries every time I try to wipe her (I didn't give her any dairy today). Now I'm confused. Could a reaction be that delayed or is the rash due to something else? Before, she would get hives if I even kissed her after drinking milk, and she had no reaction like that this time. Poor girl. Wish I knew if it was the dairy or something else..  
  • @Mandamay1414 does she have any blood in her stool? This could go either way and it's hard to say whether it's food allergy or something else. If it were me, I'd stay dairy free until the rash is gone and try again. I'm probably the exception to the rule though, since I'm very science oriented and would want to see if she had the same reaction with a repeat exposure or not before deciding to leave it out of her diet.
  • yosemite2018yosemite2018 member
    edited January 2018
    @Lcardinal04 my sister is 100% accurate in predicting the gender in 1st children 15/15 times. She didn’t with me but that’s because she didn’t have a strong feeling by the time I found out what I was having. (Only 50% right for kid #2, and 100% for #3 but only one in that sample size).

@AdmiralKitty I hope it goes well this weekend! Your DS is so great, how could they not be excited for #2???

I’m actually a little disappointed by my dad’s reaction (not so excited) but I think that was because he was soooo looking forward to his family reunion which coincides with my due date. However last night on the phone he said “I can’t wait until you share the news” since he’s pretending not to know until my mom finds out too. I suggested that he book a refundable ticket and car rental for the reunion and if I deliver early he should go anyway and can maybe even take DD. It just sucks that my mom and I can’t go (my mom wouldn’t leave me even if I had already had the baby.) We’re either telling my mom this weekend or after my u/s Wednesday.
  • @nlc8424. No blood in the stool and the rash is already improving. I'll retry dairy once it's gone like you said. Dairy is such a tasty and ubiquitous food group. I would hate for her to miss out on it if she doesn't have to. 
  • I’m dreading telling my dad. He just has a weird sense of humor and as much as he loves my kids, he thinks it’s ok to give me hard time for having so many (I have two). We are financially stable and we are good freaking parents - if I want to have 15 children, I can! 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lol thanks @EErin86. What can I say, I like an organized board! 
  • Good luck @yogapants247!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • My LO has been awfully sick lately. FX he's finally feeling better this weekend and can go back to school. MIL has been watching him, and I'm so grateful for her help and support,  but I don't particularly care for her caring style, so I hated letting her be his primary caretaker for the week. I would have stayed home with him myself, but I have no sick leave (newish employee) and need to save what I do have for doc appointments and whatnot.