April 2018 Moms

Anyone else suffering from extreme post natal depression

I cry every day, multiple times a day and can't seem to slow my heart rate at nights from stress. In addition I don't feel an attachment to the baby at all. 

Re: Anyone else suffering from extreme post natal depression

• I’m sorry you are feeling like that. Definitely talk to your OB about it. There’s some medication that is safe to take during pregnancy to help you. 
  • sadmommo said:
    I cry every day, multiple times a day and can't seem to slow my heart rate at nights from stress. In addition I don't feel an attachment to the baby at all. 
    @sadmommo, based on the other thread you started, I think you should really speak to a counselor. It sounds like your depression is caused by some significant life stressors. Talking to a professional about what's going on will likely help.

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Double posting this from the other thread that was created by OP: 
    Definitely talk to a therapist/counselor or your OB asap! I agree that it sounds like you are dealing with some really difficult stuff right now with or without being pregnant. However, you are also at an increased risk of clinical depression including postpartum depression which isn't good for you or the baby. This could easily become something very severe and must be taken seriously.  

• You need to take care of yourself so you can be the best mom to your baby. Healthy mom equals happy baby. Self care is extremely important.
  • @sadmommo Hi, there.  I've been absent from the board, in part, because I was dealing with some of the same issues you posted about.  I have a history of depression and anxiety and struggled with PPD after my son was born.  I was totally prepared to have PPD again with this one and was shocked to have symptoms of panic and depression right before Thanksgiving.  As soon as I started feeling the symptoms, I consulted with my OB about medication and also scheduled an appointment with a therapist (also a psychiatrist who specialized in women's health).  I was initially prescribed Zoloft 50 mg (same as after I had my son) and the side effects were AWFUL.  Looking back, it's hard to decipher which symptoms were the original anxiety and which were Zoloft side effects.  After about 11 days on the Zoloft and no relief (including 4 nights of MAYBE 2 hours sleep each night because I couldn't slow my thoughts or heart rate down), they bumped it up to 100 mg and actually prescribed me Xanax to help with the physical symptoms (I've barely had to take it, but it's nice to know that it's there in case the physical symptoms seem out of control).  The next day, I finally had my appointment with the psychiatrist who shared a CDC article with me indicating that Lexapro has similar risks to Zoloft and that I could make the decision to switch meds.  I was on Lexapro in my 20s and after I stopped nursing and it was a god send. So I'm now on Lexapro 10 mg and feel like my normal self, albeit still a little teary and irritable (I think that's normal for me during this pregnancy and with hormones).  I see the psychiatrist every two weeks and we'll discuss switching to a safer med for nursing as the weeks past.  I feel for you.  I felt like I was in a torture chamber for a good two weeks.  I'm a psychologist by trade so the whole experience was quite humbling and felt like an in-vivo training for how to treat anxiety.  The good news is that all the things I ask my clients to do while in one of these episodes (e.g., continually connecting with others in your social support network, getting outside or using a light therapy lamp, exercise, sleep, eat, continued therapy, and consult with psychiatrist for severe symptoms) actually work!  My husband was a friggen gem during all of this too.  He made sure he took as much off my plate as possible with regard to housework and childcare.  Taking two weeks off of work also helped too- I'm lucky I was able to do that because I was in no condition to help my clients when I could barely care for myself.  

I know it's been a while since you posted, so I hope you're feeling better.  If not, feel free to tag me and I'm happy to support you while you're enduring this.  You can and will feel better- promise!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @1fish2fishredfish - I’m sorry you were struggling.  Glad you recognized it and got good help/support. Take care of yourself!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @1fish2fishredfish how awful! I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I had a similar experience with anxiety several years ago before I was pregnant with DS. I started taking Zoloft and i had a horrible experience with it as well! Couldn’t sleep, had god awful anxiety. I was in a constant state of panic attacks. With even a low dose of  klonopin, Prozac, therapy and a much needed job change, i got myself straightened out. But boy was it a humbling experience. I never understood before how a person could get to that point of desperation. Of wanting to crawl out your own skin. It is the worst feeling in the world. It’s so crucial we take care of our mental health like we do our physical health. I’m so happy you are feeling better.
  • edited December 2017
    Thank you @g_amoss and @btm013.  I'm fortunate (???) in that I've been through similar episodes (although not nearly as severe) in the past and knew exactly what I needed to do to feel better.  When I started googling "late term abortion" and perseverating on thoughts of not wanting to be pregnant, I knew it was time to bust out the big guns.  Scary times.  @sadmommo- you are not alone.  Times like these can feel very lonely, but you are not alone.
    BabyFruit Ticker