August 2018 Moms

AMA (Golden Girls) Check-in 12/10-12/16

mrsinterwebmrsinterweb member
edited December 2017 in August 2018 Moms
I think there may be a few of us -ahem- older gals here so let's chat!

1. Age Now / Age at Delivery

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? 

3. Best thing about being AMA? 

4. Worst thing about being AMA? 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you?

ETA: Giph
*TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

Re: AMA (Golden Girls) Check-in 12/10-12/16

• 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 38/38

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? STM, second AMA (first I was 35/36)

3. Best thing about being AMA? I feel like this is the right time in my life for having kids (for me personally). Early 20s were about having fun and trying to find my way, early 30s were about advancing my career and becoming financially stable, so I feel mid-late 30s is just right for adding kids to the mix. DH and I were together for 12 years and married for 8 years when I first became pregnant and I really loved having that quality time and freedom to just be a happy couple. We probably won't have time like that again for another 20 or so years!

4. Worst thing about being AMA? Well the word "geriatric" showing up in your charts is no fun. The extra testing and worry that goes along with it. Sometimes I feel a bit old and worry I may not live long enough to enjoy grandchildren - especially if my kids wait as long as we did. I hope that is not the case, but nothing in life is guaranteed - I just need to enjoy what we have here and now.

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? Dorothy with maybe a splash of Blanche. 

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

• Happy Monday, Ladies!

37 / 38

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? STM, Second time AMA (I was 36 when DS was born)

3. Best thing about being AMA? @mrsinterweb I couldn't agree more about the progression from early 20s to early 30s. 20s were fun, fun, fun and early 30s were all about getting established. Most of my family / friends are done having kids at this point so we get tons of hand-me-downs!

4. Worst thing about being AMA? Ugh - agree again with the word geriatric. Just ugh. My uterus doesn't deserve that nonsense thankyouverymuch.

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? I won't get kicked out for admitting that I've never seen the Golden Girls, will I?
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 39/39

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? STM first was 36/37

3. Best thing about being AMA? Most of my friends have had kids already so I get lots of good hand-me-downs and advice. 

4. Worst thing about being AMA? Geriatric is no fun. But for me I worry about being around for my kids to have kids...

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? Sophia. Older, stubborn and funny. 
  • 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 37/37

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA?  STM, first time I was 35, but I don't remember them saying I was AMA, so?

3. Best thing about being AMA? Having my life and finances a bit more together than I was 5-10 years ago! Oh, also the hand-me-downs, like @lovemaddux said!

4. Worst thing about being AMA? So tired. just so tired. Also, DH's dad's health is really declining and he realized he's almost as old as his dad was when he had him. So, worrying about being too old/sick to be there for grandkids. But, we're much healthier, and we look at my parents who are a similar age, and they are running around with DS, so it's also about how well you take care of yourself throughout your life. 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? FFC, I don't really know the Golden Girls very well. (@mrsbubbles-2 SAME!) My SIL loves that show, and I've actually put it on my binge list, which will probably happen in those first few months camped out on the couch endlessly nursing a new squishy!
  • 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery  39/40

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA?  FTM

3. Best thing about being AMA? I think the best part is feeling more secure emotionally and financially to have a family. Knowing me, my 20s were a mess, and my 30s I was figuring out career and marriage, so I just feel now is a good time to start the next step. H and I spent a lot of our 30s traveling and seeing the world so that was nice to do with just us. 

4. Worst thing about being AMA? I guess just the health risks and the feeling of not really having time to try again if it doesn't work out. 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? Oh man I <3 Golden Girls! Definitely Dorothy and a splash of Sophia - I'm too sarcastic for my own good sometimes. :)
  • 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 

37/38 (barely - my bday is 7/30 and I’m due 8/9)

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? this will be baby 4, and is pregnancy 6. Both my losses were ama but no babies. 

3. Best thing about being AMA? ummmm. I can find out the sex early? (Along with making sure baby is ok obvs). As a 3 boy mama I’m anxious to know. This is 100% our last.

4. Worst thing about being AMA? I’ve noticed with these 3 ama pregnancies I’m definitely feeling early symptoms more - not sure if it’s age, # of pregnancies (or the owt about sex lol). 

And the higher risk. I’ve only had losses as ama, and while it could be a coincidence, that stuff does tend to happen more with age.

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? I never really watched... sorry!!!! 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• vinerievinerie member
    edited December 2017
    1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 40/41

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA?  STM, First was born when I was 38

3. Best thing about being AMA? Being so stable--financially, emotionally, etc. 

4. Worst thing about being AMA? Both me and my husband's parents are all 69 and 70. My parents are a very young/healthy/active 70, but still, they could not handle two little ones for more than a day or so, which means I'm not sure if we'll ever get to travel alone again!  :s

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? Can one be a mix of Rose and Sofia? I feel like I have a sharp wit, but I"m also sometimes naive and have a bleeding heart. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• I am stuck in the quote box—-sorry! 
    1. Age Now / Age at Delivery  35/36 (turning 36 at the end of next month) 

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA?  STM. It is my first AMA. I was 33 when my son was born. 

3. Best thing about being AMA? I would agree with a lot of you here in saying that I feel more secure. I also don’t feel like I’m really missing out. All my friends are doing the exact same thing and although “parties” have changed I’m perfectly happy being at a house with kids and going to bed at 10. Although these days I’ve been passing out at 8:30. 

4. Worst thing about being AMA? I worry a lot about not being around for my kids as long as I could have been. My mom had me at 41 and passed away of cancer 6 years ago. That’s hard on me and weighs on my mind a lot. BUT we were very very close and she was a wonderful mom, and I think a lot of that had to do with her age....so not sure I would change anything. 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? I’m not a huge GOlden girls fan, so I don’t know....

• 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 38/38

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? STM, second AMA (first I was 35/36)

3. Best thing about being AMA? I feel like this is the right time in my life for having kids (for me personally). Early 20s were about having fun and trying to find my way, early 30s were about advancing my career and becoming financially stable, so I feel mid-late 30s is just right for adding kids to the mix. DH and I were together for 12 years and married for 8 years when I first became pregnant and I really loved having that quality time and freedom to just be a happy couple. We probably won't have time like that again for another 20 or so years!

4. Worst thing about being AMA? Well the word "geriatric" showing up in your charts is no fun. The extra testing and worry that goes along with it. Sometimes I feel a bit old and worry I may not live long enough to enjoy grandchildren - especially if my kids wait as long as we did. I hope that is not the case, but nothing in life is guaranteed - I just need to enjoy what we have here and now.

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? Dorothy with maybe a splash of Blanche. 

So I see this a lot -- "extra testing/monitoring" and I don't know if this is just my dr. or what, but I never had any extra testing with my first, and my dr. now is like "see you at week 8!" And to give other FTMs comfort, my dr. repeatedly told me he'd rather deliver a healthy 45-year-old than an unhealthy 25-year-old. 

Are you (and anyone else reading this) undergoing/expecting to undergo extra testing due to AMA or because of other issues?
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• @vinerie there’s no extra testing at the beginning (at least with my practice) but toward the end they recommended frequent non-stress tests. Though they were still optional.

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

• Are you (and anyone else reading this) undergoing/expecting to undergo extra testing due to AMA or because of other issues?

@vinerie in my case it’s just the first tri blood test (harmony or similar). It’s offered if not ‘high risk’ but oop. I didn’t and wouldn’t have done testing with 1-3 (we opted out of the first tri nt etc) butbwith my age, losses and 3 kids at home to consider, we will do that test. 

Otherwise no no extra testing with my group. But the higher risk statistically does exist 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @vinerie I have some issues that are going to require extra testing/monitoring/procedures.

*TW*

We had two losses last year and found out I have a septate uterus. I had surgery to repair it this summer, so this pregnancy is the first one post surgery. I will need to work with my RE (who did the surgery) every week (I think 9 it may be every other week) til the 12 week mark, then I go to my OB and a MFM high risk doc. The MFM doc will be placing a cerclage at 12 weeks. After that, I'll alternate appointments every few weeks til the last tri where I will have an appointment every week. 

37/37 unless I go postdate
    STM, first AMA
    More stability. We’ve gotten impulsiveness out of our systems. H and I have been married for 14 years so we have a super strong relationship. 
    Worrying about leaving my kids too early in their lives. Worry that I probably won’t be alive to see grandkids. 
    no idea. Maybe part Dorothy and part Sophia 
  • pghctwife said:
    Are you (and anyone else reading this) undergoing/expecting to undergo extra testing due to AMA or because of other issues?

@vinerie in my case it’s just the first tri blood test (harmony or similar). It’s offered if not ‘high risk’ but oop. I didn’t and wouldn’t have done testing with 1-3 (we opted out of the first tri nt etc) butbwith my age, losses and 3 kids at home to consider, we will do that test. 

Otherwise no no extra testing with my group. But the higher risk statistically does exist 
    I will. The first tri blood test was offered to us last pregnancy and even though I was only 34, we still opted to do it. Will have it again this time around. 
  • We are also going to be doing the first trimester genetic testing (NT scan and the other tests that come with it). We did this last time as well.

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

• I'm extra excited to join this special group.  My situation is a little different because while I am most certainly AMA, we used a donor egg and my donor is only 25.  I'm not sure if I will still be considered AMA for my care. 

42/43

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA?  FTM

3. Best thing about being AMA?  I guess that I've gotten all my wild nights out of my system and I am more than ready for this. 

4. Worst thing about being AMA?  I had to use donor egg! 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? A little Rose, a little Blanche
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

37/38

STM + this Is my second AMA pregnancy but my first resulted in a loss
    First: 25/26
    Second: 28/29
    Third: 34
    Fourth: 36/37
    Fifth: 37/38
    Feeling more settled down and confident in my parenting skills and having more friends that also have children.

The extra worry of something going wrong and not having the energy I did in my 20’s. 
    Probably Dorothy but a little Rose. I know that’s a weird combo bc they are basically opposites but that’s me. 
  • 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 38/39

STM+ This will be my third as an AMA 

Option to take the Harmony test.  Finding out the gender super early is the best!

4. Worst thing about being AMA? Risk of something happening 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? I haven't watched Golden Girls in ages LOL

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. Age Now / Age at DELIVERY 37/38

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? Not FTM as I adopted my son when he was an infant but this will be my first biological child.

3. Best thing about being AMA?  more frequent ultrasounds and closer following by OB/GUN and I am financially prepared for baby. 

4. Worst thing about being AMA? knowing this might be the one and only baby I will have. Dealing with infertility for 15 years, better late than never though!!

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? Blanch in my younger years, still a little bit of her and some Dorothy. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 1. Age Now / Age at DELIVERY 
    34/35 (I’ll turn 35 before my first appt)

I have three children.  This is my first AMA. My SIL is a NP and she’s loving the term geriatric. She reminds me every chance she gets. 

Excited about the baby. I’ve got that part down good. I feel like an old pro at nursing and general welfare of my babies. Not nervous about labor or any of that. 

Definitely the last baby. I had my first when I was 22 and I’m ready to close shop. And I have more worries with baby development now. I want all the testing. I’ll be doing harmony. Just will feel a lot more at ease once we get that done. 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? I love Blanch :-)
  • 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 40/40

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? My first three were born before I "aged up" ;) , but I had my 13 month old when I was 38.

3. Best thing about being AMA? Stability; job, financially, etc.  I know who I am now, which I couldn't necessarily say in my twenties.

4. Worst thing about being AMA? The same as other people have mentioned.  I worry about the extra risks associated with being older.  My first three babies were full term and completely healthy at birth.  With my youngest, my water broke at 33w3d, and he and I were both very sick.  I worry that this could happen again, although my OB thinks it was just bad luck.  I think about how young my kids and grandkids will be when I go.

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you?  I'd say I'm a mix of all of them though my love of sarcasm makes me a little bit more Dorothy!
  • 1. Age Now / Age at Delivery 37/38

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA? I had my first when I was 33. 

3. Best thing about being AMA? My priorities are different at 37 compared to what my priorities were in my 20’s. Glad I got the partying way out of the way and don’t feel like I missed out on anything. I also traveled a lot before we had a child. 

4. Worst thing about being AMA? I would like more kids but my age will prohibit that. 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you? The sassy one can’t remember her name. 
    39 years young ;) and turning 40 July 24th so should be 40 unless baby comes early. EDD 8/12

STM- DS is 18! 

I have my life together now..career, husband, home. I can actually apply the “if I knew then what I know now” concept to this next baby. I was 21 when when son was born so I was still growing up myself and didn’t enjoy him as a baby because I was struggling with work and life. I couldn’t wait for him to start school b cause it was free daycare. 

With my son, I have always been the young cool mom and now I will be the opposite! 

Blanche. Hahaha
  • I will getting the Harmony testing done with this pregnancy.  I had it done with my youngest, and it was great for relieving worry, especially since he had a thicker nuchal fold.  This time my province will pay for it too, since I'm considered "interesting" at 40!  :D
  • You guys, I got so excited when I saw there was a whole group of AMAs!!!

36/37

2. FTM / STM+? If STM+, is this your first AMA?  STM, I was also AMA with my son.  But when I asked my OB if it was a big deal, her response was, "you've run marathons.  I have way bigger problems than you to deal with.  A number does not define you". 

3. Best thing about being AMA?  I can't imagine trying to do this Mom thing younger.  I got all the crazies out of me in my 20s so I don't mind enjoying my wine on the couch (not now obvi) while my son sleeps.  Also, I am well established in my career so they are more patient with me when I need flexibility. 

4. Worst thing about being AMA?  Sometimes I look at how old my parents are and I wonder how old I will be when I'm a grandparent. 

5. Bonus: Which Golden Girl are you?  So I took this seriously and took a quiz.  It said I'm Rose.  But I tend to be practical and sarcastic.  So let's say Rose with a side of Dorothy.
  • suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited February 2018
    Lurking from TTGP

@mrsinterweb Congrats!!! :)<3
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN