February 2018 Moms

GTKY Thanksgiving Edition

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Are you traveling to visit family or cooking? 

What are some of your favorite family dishes/recipes? 

Do you plan on going out shopping on Black Friday? 

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
Rainbow Due 02/20/18

Re: GTKY Thanksgiving Edition

• I’m going to my moms house. My IL’s are all spread out everywhere so it looks like lunch at my Mom's then football with FIL and possibly BIL. My MIL refuses to be around FIL (divorced) so I’m not sure we will even see her this week. 

I love EVERYTHING my mom makes... can’t wait! 

No shopping here. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    alemarie1
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't like holidays. My family lives in TX and I'm in WA state alone. Usually DH and I spend thanksgiving alone and go BF shoping for ourselves. It's my one holiday I enjoy  it's our married holiday. 
     we have to spend every single other holiday with his family.  Well he informed me last week we are going to his parents. THERE goes my one holiday. 
  • Visiting the ILs. All of DH's siblings will be in town so I'm excited we'll get to see the whole family. I made an apple pie and DH made a strawberry rhubarb pie to bring. 

We don't have any specific special family recipes for the day, but we do put apples in our stuffing m, which I love.

Definitely no to shopping on Black Friday. After working it once 6 years ago (before I got my teaching job), being forced to go in at 5:00 pm on Thanksgiving, and then having my first full blown panic attack when I thought I was going to get trampled, I've vowed to never shop Black Friday. Online shopping only for me.
    libbodeebabymakes9alemarie1
  • Visiting the ILs. All of DH's siblings will be in town so I'm excited we'll get to see the whole family. I made an apple pie and DH made a strawberry rhubarb pie to bring. 

We don't have any specific special family recipes for the day, but we do put apples in our stuffing m, which I love.

Definitely no to shopping on Black Friday. After working it once 6 years ago (before I got my teaching job), being forced to go in at 5:00 pm on Thanksgiving, and then having my first full blown panic attack when I thought I was going to get trampled, I've vowed to never shop Black Friday. Online shopping only for me.
    What store did you work in?
  • @Chawk17 Walmart. I hated it there so much. The only positive about that job was that I got to be a cake decorator, which was a nice creative outlet (though that's not what I was doing on Black Friday). I hated everything else about that job.
  • We are hosting, and there will be +/- 13 of us.  Thankfully, we both have parents who live closeby, and our moms offer to bring things to help, which is really nice.  It's a 'combined' group of both of our immediate families, plus an aunt or uncle here and there. It always ends up turning out nicely, and should be a cozy day. :) 

I guess I'm not a huge Thanksgiving food person, but maybe dessert? I'm such a sweet tooth. 

We don't tend to do lots of BF shopping.  We don't live near a big city, really, so even if we do go out, it won't be too bad.  I like to shop online instead. ;) 
  • What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Are you traveling to visit family or cooking? DH and I are going to my parents for Thanksgiving since we'll be with his family for the Christmas holiday. I'll be bringing two dishes: stuffing and brussel sprouts salad.

What are some of your favorite family dishes/recipes? I love Thanksgiving food, but my favorites are the turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, and the PIES! The best is making Thanksgiving leftover pizza the next day!

Do you plan on going out shopping on Black Friday? Nope. I've already started shopping the BF deals online, and got a few things for myself, baby, and a Christmas tree! I love decorating the tree the weekend of Thanksgiving. Can't wait! 

alemarie1
  •  My DH is the manager at our local Best Buy, so thanksgiving is kinda shot for us! My parents went out of town and my in laws are 5 hours away! So this year I’m cooking thanksgiving “lunch” and my sister, her boyfriend, and my hubby will eat before he has to go into work! 

That being said...we’re still making EVERYTHING for four people! Lol

my sister and her boyfriend will be going out on Friday to shop but I’m more of a cyber Monday/order all the things online!! 
    babymakes9
  • We always go to my parents' for Thanksgiving, just for the day because they're local. Next year because we'll have the baby we may have H's parents come down and join us at my parents'. Either way I hope to avoid having to ever travel on Thanksgiving. It's such a pain. In a few years when we move to a bigger house we may start hosting it ourselves. Then Friday we're going to my college for the night for the football game, we go every year. H went to our rival college so it's our new tradition to go to the game and trash talk.

I look forward the most to my mom's stuffing. I need to learn how to make it because she won't be able to make it forever. It's magical. Funny story about how weird my mom can be though: My SIL asked if she could bring anything for dinner, like an appetizer. My mom said she told SIL "This meal is too heavy for appetizers, I'll just put out cheese and crackers." I said "Mom, we get to your house at 1pm and don't eat until 6. You really expect us to sit there starving all day pecking at cheese and crackers?" So I'm making some bacon & cheese pull-apart bread I saw on Tasty.

The only BF shopping I'll do is online.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

babymakes9alemarie1
  • We’re traveling a big 3 miles to my aunts house. Just a small group this year so she also invited my I laws which was sweet.

i cannot wait for all the food - my aunt makes her stuffing with breakfast sausage and I LOVE it! So bring on the stuffing and gravy! I work on Friday and so no Black Friday shopping from me other than online. I don’t have the patience for the lines anyways.
    alemarie1
  • Thanksgiving is at my house every year.  My mom arrives today, she usually makes a pie, my in laws will bring stuffing plus another side and each of my kids like to make a dish.  Based on what everyone else decides i fill in the gaps to get a huge meal. I like it are my house,  i pull out the fine China and get everyone (well at least my household) to dress up.  

I'm  very thankful my sil and family will not be joining us this year. We tried last year and i was so annoyed by her rudeness to everyone except her husband and mother in law,  even to her own parents. I feel kinda bad because she does have a baby who loves coming around all my kids (her cousins) but she announced they were going elsewhere,  so that's good for me. 

Candied yams are my absolute favorite.  I have my grandma's recipe and make them only at large holidays.  It's are the good ones without marshmallows.  :)

No black Friday shopping.  I have no desire to drive long distances to battle crowds in the hopes of getting something at a discount.  We have a rule about the kids not starting there Christmas lists and giving them to us until after thanksgiving,  so i won't really know what they want at that point anyways. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • We have three Thanksgivings to go to, DHs extended family on Thursday which is a little over an hour away, my dad and his family on Friday, and then my mom and in laws on Saturday. Thankfully my mom and mil are good friends so they easily combine for holidays now that my parents are divorced. I’m making a pecan pie for each event, my all time favorite recipe is the Pioneer Woman’s, she converted me to pecan pie and now I make it every year! Looking forward to the food at my mom’s the most, she is an amazing cook and she really goes all out on making holidays special.

No plans for Black Friday shopping unless DH gets the urge to go out. If we go it’s mostly just for fun, but I would never go alone because I hate traffic and lines.

Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • chucksmom15chucksmom15 member
    edited November 2017
    We normally host Thanksgiving but since all the furniture from our office and guest room that we moved out to set up the nursery is still in our dining room (we are getting a bigger storage unit soon) my mom is hosting Thanksgiving.  

My mom and I usually split cooking down the middle but everyone is convinced cooking is going to be too taxing for me I only have 4 things to make this year.

The only shopping I may do is hit up Bath and Body Works the minute it opens.  I'm out of shower gel.  The Black Friday deals plus stacking the coupons I got in the mail is too tempting to pass up.
    babymakes9katefb17
  • Lunch at the in laws. Probably visit my mom at night. Her husband just had surgery today and is doing pretty badly so won't do big dinner there so he can rest.

Despite all the fancy recipes out there, i LOVE stovetop stuffing! Everything else is a bonus, lol. Oh and my auntie's macaroni salad, but we won't see her this year so I'm sad lol.

Probably not, except possibly a baby store for a crib mattress. But really I plan to do most of my shopping online.
    katefb17alemarie1
  • My family isn't local. Just my in-laws. We visit them every year, but they're only 45 minutes away. I'm bringing mac and cheese and pies. We're probably going to visit Santa tomorrow and get our tree and start decorating TG morning.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Are you traveling to visit family or cooking? 
    We went to my IL's last weekend  for a 27 person Thanksgiving celebration.  I'm pretty sure it was the biggest Thanksgiving I've ever been to, and it was a lot of fun.  On Thanksgiving we'll be at my parents for a MUCH smaller dinner, then we head to the mountains for a long weekend.

I love, love, love my grandmother's stuffing with gravy.  Since she passed, my mother or I make it.  This year, I'm in a small apartment and don't have the space to make it, and my mother's kitchen is about to be remodeled, so we will be having Wegman's stuffing.  I'm sure it will be good, but I know it won't be the same.
    @jennifer_m21 what is this Thanksgiving leftover pizza???  It sounds like all of my favorite things combined!

We will be hiding in a cabin in the mountains on Black Friday.  I may try to find some online deals.
  • I’m Canadian so we had thanksgiving last month but reading all these is giving me serious pie and turkey cravings. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    katefb17
  • We're headed to Pittsburgh tonight where our families live.  We do an afternoon Thanksgiving at dh's aunt's house and eat with my in laws.  Then we head to my grandparent's house for dinner with my extended family. It's a full day, but a lot of fun with lots of good food and family time.  

I posted this in another thread, but I LOVE  my aunt's mashed potatoes.  She makes them with cream, butter, sour cream, and cream cheese so they are just heavenly.  I never like stuffing until I tried dh's aunt's stuffing. It's amazing and I could easily just eat that when I'm at their house.  Unpopular opinion: I don't like gravy.  Occasionally, I'll try it, but I always think it makes food worse.

Not a chance I will be Black Friday shopping. I've done my holiday shopping online for the past few years and I so much prefer it.  I actually went to the mall once last holiday season and it was miserable.  

hms1219
  • We are going to my sister’s house. Only an hour or so drive. Not too far. One of my brothers will be there as well. (The other one is with his in-laws and my parents are away). Me and my my SIL are each making one thing to bring but mostly my sister and BIL are cooking. 
    I like stuffing probably the best. And any shopping I might do will be online. I don’t go to the stores on Black Friday. 
  • What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Are you traveling to visit family or cooking? 
    For the past two years, we've been going to one of my aunt and uncle's houses (technically they're my mom's cousins but they're in their 60's so we've always called them aunt and uncle). They have lakefront property which is really pretty. Before that, we used to go to a different uncle and aunt's (also technically my mom's cousins haha) but they moved to Myrtle Beach so our Thanksgiving is much much smaller now. 

Since the changing of who host's Thanksgiving, the sides have gotten a little weird. My aunt who now hosts is an absoutely terrible cook. She was banned from bringing anything to previous holidays because she always messes it up. We always joke about the time she brought a chocolate cream pie and forgot to cook the pie crust. For as many Christmases as I can remember, my mom only asks her to bring potato chips :D

My grandmother's sister had this unbelievably awesome stuffing recipe...which my aunt and uncle don't make so there's Stove Top (which I HATE), the Turkey and mashed potatoes which come out fine but... my aunt makes a bunch of weird sides like asparagus and Brussel sprouts instead of the more traditional ones (carrots, corn, peas etc.) so this year, we all kind of volunteered to bring a dish. I offered so there would be just 1 side I might like haha Now that it's more of a pot luck of sides, it got weirder. Mac n Cheese, Potatoes au Gratin and green bean almondine have been 'volunteered' for. I like our family Christmas much much more. My mom does the stuffing recipe which changes everything. 

I've gone out for Black Friday in the past. I've also worked retail on Black Friday which is probably why I no longer leave the house during the 'super sale' times. I'm more of an online shopper. Instead, this year, my mom is coming over to help us with prepare my son's new room. She made custom curtains for the nursery two years ago, and we're doing the same thing so she's teaching me how to use the sewing machine so I can make them! 

alemarie1

It’s MIL’s turn to host Thanksgiving this year. We’re helping her decorate the house and set dinner plates tomorrow. We were asked to being a vegetable and beverages. DH asked if I could make the same thing I made last year (squash, Brussels sprouts, candied pecans and craisins in a cinnamon maple glaze) so that’s what I’ll be bringing. 

I’m a big fan of pie. Give me all the pie. I also look forward to homemade cranberry sauce. 

I have to work, but DH is planning on going out and getting us a nice camera. With baby on the way, we figured we should have something better than our phones. 
    alemarie1
  • @mamaof5already I’m so impressed with anyone who hosts... I did it last year and I was so exhausted. I handed it back over to my aunt this year but hope to do it next year again.
    babymakes9
  • Hoping to enjoy a family dinner at my aunts. I’m on call for work this year. I’m an ultrasound tech and while our department is closed, we have to be on call for “emergencies.” Unfortunately, 90% of the time the supposed emergency is a doctor covering his/her ass so he doesn’t get sued. You’d be surprised the things people will come to the ER for, even on a holiday. So I’m hoping I can at least eat my dinner without being bothered and if I have to go in after than at least I can do it filled with carbs! Lol

My dad makes an amazing stuffing that I look forward to as soon as autumn hits. Honestly, I don’t even care about the turkey, I’m in it for the sides and dessert! 

Black Friday is generally a no for me, I don’t do crowds. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for online deals though! 
    alemarie1babymakes9
  • alemarie1alemarie1 member
    edited November 2017
    What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Are you traveling to visit family or cooking? 
     We are traveling to families house, I'm happy to not have to cook. 

What are some of your favorite family dishes/recipes? We always have baked macaroni at all of our family holidays,  it's an italian tradition! And we'll be playing michigan rummy for cash.  

I'll be heading out to a few stores when I wake up but I will not be waking up before 10am because I love to sleep in way too much 
    :)

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• @jennifer_m21 that looks amazing, thanks for the idea!

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• Thanksgiving is supposed to be our one holiday with my family, but I’m too pregnant to travel that far. So we’re going to my inlaws. 

I’m in charge of the homemade egg noodles. 

No Black Friday shopping for me. 
  • My extended family on my dad's side is huge and normally we do a giant family get-together with a potluck feast, but this year it got nixxed.

It's a bit of a headache because now I am hosting at our apartment Wednesday night for my dad, grandma, and siblings (+spouses/kids), but my parents are divorced, so we also have my mom's and my MIL's (who will guilt trip for months if we miss... even though it's a commute and there are only 5 people there other than me/DH/kids)

Anyway, I am making everything Wednesday (tomorrow!) and my favorite dishes are easily my mom's pie recipes. 

DH works BF, so no shopping for me. I would probably be too exhausted anyway, honestly!