January 2018 Moms
Options

Spinning Babies?

So at my 32 week appointment this past week, the doctor I saw said the baby may be breech. She couldn't tell for sure just by feeling my belly and the portable ultrasound machine was being used. Of course this has sent me in to a full blown panic until I go back at 34 weeks. I have convinced myself based on that baby's movement that she is breech, but in reality, I have no clue. 

Does anyone have any experience with a breech baby flipping to head down on his/her own past 32 weeks. Spinningbabies.com seems to indicate that 32 weeks is on the threshold of being an issue/having to do something about it....

DD was transverse until 30 weeks but then solidly head down for the rest of the pregnancy. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Spinning Babies?

• Options
    I have heard that babies can still turn at the last minute. A friend of mine had a head down baby who flipped to breech last minute.
  • Options
    I'm also at 32 weeks, but my appointment isn't until Tuesday. DS is still all over the place-my OB said she doesn't start to have a conversation until 36 weeks or after, because baby still has room to flip and turn all over the place. I've been doing some of the spinning babies stretches though just to maybe help things along!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine was breech at my appt last week (31 weeks)- hence all the cervix pressure, ouch. My OB said there’s still room for baby to flip and it’s not a concern for now. 
  • Options
    My son was breech at 36 weeks, and flipped down before the end. Like others have said, my understanding is that they can keep squirming around until the last minute.
  • Options
    They can definitely move past 32 weeks, but the exercises on Spinning Babies are great.  I'd also recommend finding a chiropractor who is trained in the Webster technique, they have a pretty good track record of flipping breech babies.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    My friend had good luck with a chiropractor. Another had a doctor try to manually move the baby (no clue what that looks like) and said the pain was excruciating. I'd be panicking too if I were you, BUT I know that you should not! As others have said, some babies flip flop lots up until 36/37 weeks. Hugs!
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    I’ve been doing the forward leaning inversion since my appointment since it’s one that won’t hurt if baby isn’t breech...and the last day or so I’ve felt higher movement...so hopefully that’s a good thing!

My mind/anxiety likes to play tricks on me (especially during pregnancy)...even when I rationally know something may not be a problem, I can’t help but panic. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    witchwaiwitchwai member
    edited November 2017
    Sorry if this is a totally silly question but how do they know their position. I’m 34 weeks and my Ob hasn’t brought it up at all. Can they tell using the Doppler or measuring fundal height? That’s all they’ve been doing during my appts besides checking BP and weight and urine protein... Also seeing lots of posts about fluid - too much/little. Is that something else they can tell by measruing baby from the outside? Finally have another uS on the 30th so hopefully they’ll be able to see all that there but just curious how everyone knows already. 
  • Options
    @witchwai I had to ask about the position (my dr didn't bring it up herself) but when I did she just prodded the bottom of my belly and said you can't tell for sure but it felt like a head. I think the only way to be positive is with an US but they can make a good guess from just feeling around on the outside. I think the fluid they can only tell with the US too, so hopefully you'll get all the answers on the 30th!
  • Options
    One of my SIL's babies was breach. Her midwife have her a bunch of exercises to do but wasn't able to flip it. A week or two before the baby was born she had an appt where the dr was able to flip it by basically romping violently on her abdomen. Not to scare you bc if I remember right it didn't hurt her and she was able to deliver vaginally! 
  • Options
    @witchwai re: the fluid - they can tell "red flags" from the external measurements of your belly. They know the normal range of how you "should" be measuring based on your growth over time and averages, and if something is suspicious, they'd order an ultrasound to then examine the amniotic fluid index (I think) or DVP (deepest ventricle pocket). I'm sure those outside measurements aren't flawless but there is a pretty wide range of "typical" amniotic fluid numbers. I've learned a lot about this over the last 5 weeks!

According to my (newest) MFM, position would technically be from US only unless you can confidently see or feel body parts. From pp and just the number of practitioners I've interacted with over the last month, it sounds like some OBs start telling you position at 32 weeks and others wait as long as 36 weeks or so, probably because in typical pregnancies, a lot of babies do continue to change positions all the way up to those very final weeks and there is no need to stress mom out inadvertently if she is likely going to 40+ weeks. I'm 33 weeks and today LO was breech for our first time in 5 weeks (actually in a super comfortable jack knife position, fun). Both my MFM and OB told me there is absolutely no reason to adapt my own behavior as of right now (for several reasons - partly because I have the excess fluid, so LO can easily move around a lot, so I'm a "weird" case) but that they wouldn't be telling the average mom to worry about this for several more weeks, either. 

Side note: my yoga instructor has a different view. She thinks it's super important to know position from 32 weeks on because some exercises (like squats) should be avoided if baby is breech (because squats encourage baby to stay in his/her position and root down). Please DO NOT take that as medical advice...just me finding something interesting.
  • Options
    My LO keeps turning and it's seriously stressing me out. She was head down for about a week. But then at the US yesterday the tech really was pushing on her. 2 hours later in triage she was transverse (Thanks US tech) and today I have hiccups up in my ribs again so I think she is back to breech.

At my appointment last week my OB said they do not even get concerned or talk about things to do until 36 weeks. And even then baby can flip anytime they want.
  • Options
    @libbberty my prenatal instructor says the same thing!  Squats help the baby to engage, so if baby is breech you don't want them even more rooted down.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!