DS1: Nov. 2013
DS2: Jan. 2016
DS3: Dec. 2017
Baby #4 on the way!

Re: Weekly Appointment Thread: Week of 11/13

• Options
    lmmjdlmmjd member
    edited November 2017
    I just had my bi-weekly appointment today, and it wasn't great. I didn't ask a lot of questions like I should have, but I guess I am being switched to high-risk and have to have twice-weekly testing: BPPs and NSTs starting at 32 weeks. Last appointment, they told me I may need to do weekly NSTs and monthly growth ultrasounds, but today they changed it. I am not sure if it has to do with the growth ultrasound I had last week (tech told me it all looked fine and the fact that his head was measuring 3 weeks ahead wasn't a concern, but maybe the Doc. disagrees? this is where I realize I should have asked more questions, but I was too stressed and freaked out - they just used a terrifying phrase and I basically shut down mentally). 

Anyone have experience with BPPs and NSTs? What they entail, how long they take in your experience? Any stories are welcome!

Edit to add: I know my weight is also a concern, I just don't understand why they would all the sudden bring it up in the thrid tri, and not the first two and why it would suddenly change from last appointment to this one where the only difference is the growth ultrasound in between.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lmmjd No experience with these things here, but I imagine they are just being overly cautious because why not... I bet everything will be fine, especially with the extra monitoring. I know it has to be a hassle but try (maybe?) to think of it as being in good hands. If there IS anything wrong, they will tell right away and be able to induce etc. Hugs!
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    lmmjd said:
    I just had my bi-weekly appointment today, and it wasn't great. I didn't ask a lot of questions like I should have, but I guess I am being switched to high-risk and have to have twice-weekly testing: BPPs and NSTs starting at 32 weeks. Last appointment, they told me I may need to do weekly NSTs and monthly growth ultrasounds, but today they changed it. I am not sure if it has to do with the growth ultrasound I had last week (tech told me it all looked fine and the fact that his head was measuring 3 weeks ahead wasn't a concern, but maybe the Doc. disagrees? this is where I realize I should have asked more questions, but I was too stressed and freaked out - they just used a terrifying phrase and I basically shut down mentally). 

Anyone have experience with BPPs and NSTs? What they entail, how long they take in your experience? Any stories are welcome. 
    Do you have access to patient portal or nurses line? You could email or call to get your answers. Good luck with everything!
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• Options
    @schaze Thank you so much for all of the info! That is helpful! I plan on calling once I calm down and less freaked out. I was just so shocked that I just shut down and couldn't even think of questions.

@EmilyLove25 Thank you! That is what I said to SO when I was telling him about it. At least they will know if something happens and can get him out right away (basically) if need be.

@PhillyMomma87 I don't have the portal, but I plan on calling in a bit. I just need to still calm my nerves a bit before I do. 
  • Options
    @lmmjd Exactly what @Schaze said. I had to do them with my last pregnancy and will begin doing them at 34 this pregnancy. Why I'm starting them at 34 weeks and not 32 weeks, I'm not so sure, but she said 32 weeks and then corrected herself with 34 weeks. hmm... Anyway. My NSTs always took an hour, but DS did not cooperate or like mornings so he wasn't a very active baby then and also, he would roll over his cord which wasn't cool. 

Like others have said, I'd give the nurses line a call. Mine always listens to me when I have my random questions and then if they need to talk to the dr, they do and call me back. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This morning I have my Fetal Fibronectin test and she'll probably check my cervix to make sure I'm still closed since I had some funneling on the inner side of my cervix at my US last week. Fun times! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy Thank you! I will definitely have to try @schaze's orange juice trick. This little guy sounds kind of like yours. He does not like to cooperate and so far doesn't seem to like mornings either. The middle of the night is when he likes to have dance parties. Haha. He has been lazy at the early morning ultrasounds so far and refused to move, so I will have to use any trick to make sure he moves around!
  • Options
    @lmmjd yes try that. I'm going to try that this time too. Last time they told me to eat lots of sugar, so I'd have a donut, but then of course, thats when he rolled over his cord and they sent me to L&D and then wouldn't put me into false labor to make sure things were ok until it had been 8 hours since I'd eaten last. Which I totally get, because if something HAD happened then I would have had to go into emergency surgery and yada yada yada. Sooo... yeah. I'm going to try and not eat food, and just drink all the sugars. haha 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lmmjd I had a NST at 30 weeks last week, and it took the nurse like literally 15 minutes (no exaggeration) to find the heartbeat to figure out where to put the monitor. While she was looking around for it, she kept pushing my belly this way and that way, and not gently either, which kept making the baby kick and get all riled up. I had had a little coffee maybe an hour before that, so that might have helped, but even with coffee the baby is usually more of a night owl and never moves much in the morning. I think all the belly prodding and pushing helped wake him/her up, because my results came back good and he/she moved a lot during the 20 minutes it was being recorded, way more than most days. I'm sure you can practice a few strategies to get baby movin' and shakin' in the morning and it'll turn out better next time :) 
  • Options
    @lmmjd I totally understand shutting down and freaking out! I did the same with DD when I was told I was high risk. Definitey give yourself some time to wind down before contacting them so you can go in with a clear head <3
  • Options
    Oh no, @supercoolstephy! FX that the FFN results come back negaitve. I am glad they are being proactive and giving you the shots just in case and that you weren't contracting. You'll be in my thoughts!
  • Options
    Will be thinking of you, @supercoolstephy

First timer! 
    BFP: May 6, 2017 EDD: Jan. 13, 2018
  • Options
    Wow @supercoolstephy, please check us updated. Prayers your little lady stays put
  • Options
    Thinking of you, @supercoolstephy!
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy thinking of you!
  • Options
    Thinking of you @supercoolstephy!
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy oh man girl! Definitely thinking of you and hope you get negative results tomorrow! Hugs! ❤️❤️
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy FX for you all turns out well <3

@madcouplewithabox thanks for sharing. I️ had something similar going on and when they checked they said it was part of the hymen that is totally normal but just kind of hanging there. I️ was like what?!! So weird. It may or may not shrink back up there after delivery. Fx it does lol. Oh what our bodies go through for these babies. 
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy fx your results comes negative.  Postive vibes your way. Keep us updated when possible  <3
  • Options
    @lmmjd The Biophysical Profile they check for practice breathing, movement, muscle tone, and fluid levels. :) I have one every week. My baby failed the first one because he was too stubborn to breathe. He started practice breathing at like 32 minutes while they were doing the growth portion of the scan. He has passed the two weeks since then though. 

And try not to stress if the NST takes a little longer. Mine has only been short once. Some babies are stubborn. My nurses say that my baby is quite active, so his baseline heartrate is kind of on the high side, which can make it harder to get the raises they're looking for. 
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Today at 1030 is my biweekly appointment...I weighed myself 2 days ago and was at like 224.5, (right about where I was last week, slight increase) today I jumped on the scale before leaving for work and it showed 230.8....I feel like I may get a talking to about weight gain today.....
    Also, I’m pretty sure most of that is water weight or something right? I can’t have gained 6 lbs in 2 days of actual weight....right??

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• Options
    @JuliaGoolia719 all scales are different so if it was a different scale both days you more than likely didnt gain that much weight.  Also depends on when you weighed.  You weigh the least in the morning and it sounds like you weighed the last time in the afternoon which is when you would weigh the heaviest.  And there's the water weight factor too.  I'm sure you didn't actually gain 6 lbs in 2 days..but I know it's a struggle and it can get in your head (which is why I don't own a scale lol)
  • Options
    Apparently I get to take the 3 hr glucose test on Friday...so excited  :(:'(
  • Options

@supercoolstephy  Hugs! I hope you get better results/news. I feel like dilated to a 1 at 29 weeks is semi normal for a STM. Hope I am right.

@madcouplewithabox Thank you for sharing that! I think it is important for ladies to know they can pop up like that. I’ve heard almost everyone has some form of HPV whether they know it or not

@Cricket99  I always measured behind with fundal height with DD and she was just fine! 

*TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    Glad you got good news today, @supercoolstephy!
    BFP #1 4.2.12, M/C 4.12.12 @ 6 weeks :: BFP #2 10.20.12, EDD 6.25.13 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 I measured behind the whole way with DS too and he was only 6lb 8oz when he was born. After I told her that she was like, “yep, you grow small babies!”
  • Options
    I had my 32 weeks appointment yesterday. It was a fun visit. Not to scare anyone but my mom passed away when she was 29 due to a blood clot after a c-section. It was her sixth c-section and blood clots can happen after any surgery. The midwives ran blood tests and such and said it came back normal but they still want me to take a baby aspirin. I guess it's a little concerning because the bottle says it's important to be careful with aspirin in your last three months. Another concern I have is what that if my tests came back normal, what if it makes my blood too thin, ya know? They also confirmed I was having contractions but since they've gone away on their own and since I'm still able to walk and talk, they aren't concerned. I guess one part of me is concerned about that though because I'm about to be driving ten hours away from the hospital. But I guess having contractions is normal? These didn't seem like Braxton hicks because they didn't go away and persisted with lower back pain for a few days. There was also a clear rise and fall to them and DH and I were working through some of it together. I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting about It? Is it normal to have contractions just as things get closer and then have them fizzle out? The doctors thought I might have overworked myself and I was doing a lot over the weekend. 

Anyway, other than that, baby seems to be good. Strong heartbeat, moving around like normal and still measuring a week ahead. 
  • Options
    @chellieblueray sorry to hear about a not great appointment. I am also taking baby aspirin for that reason. My mother had blood clots after delivery (though not c-sections) with several of her children and was monitored post birth in the hospital (and advised not to have more children). My drs recommended I take it but to stop automatically at 36 weeks.  The Dr didn’t even test my blood because he said they wouldn’t do anything differently based on the results. From what I’ve read baby aspirin (as opposed to full dose) is pretty harmless, but stopping at 36 weeks is a precaution. 
  • Options
    @chellieblueray I have been on a baby aspirin since 13 weeks to hopefully stave off Pre E this go around. If the concern is clots you would want your blood thinner. But a baby aspirin isn't much of a blood thinner there are many women who have to take a blood thinner injection while pregnant 

I had 2 appointments today. First was with my psychiatrist. The plan was to start me back on something before birth but since I'm not having any problems she now wants to wait til birth. I totally get that and i don't want to take something I don't need but it makes me very SCARED. Where I was 6 months PP with DD is not a place I ever want to be again. I have a follow up on Jan 2nd to get my RXs 

Regular OB check up today too. All is well. Blood pressure is still normal and baby girl is head down now. I am measuring 2 weeks ahead now  (made me think, hmmm maybe you shouldn't have moved my original due date back 2 weeks) growth US is scheduled for monday. Yay to Seeing The baby
  • Options
    @Immjd were you able to talk to your doctor or nurse about questions and concerns? Hoping you are able to have more answers quickly.

@supercoolstephy I'm glad the results were good. I hope bake continues to bake. Take it easy and tell DH to pamper you ;)

@chellieblueray You said you'd be 10 hrs from your hospital, is there a hospital close to where you are going? With having some contractions, I'd want to be within an hour of a hospital at least. 

@burnsmommy27 I'm glad you have your appointment set up in January already, high-five for being proactive and taking care of yourself.

As for me, I had a good 33 week check-up on Monday. Measuring at 33 and a half cm and good heart rate. I talked to my doctor about when I should slow down more at work, she said it was more up to me as they know different companies have different time-off policies. I'm going to talk to her about it again at 35 weeks, maybe see about getting a doctor's note to help cut back my hours at work. I've got plenty of sick time that I'll lose Dec. 24th. Next appointment, I get the Tdap shot, blood work, and strep B test.

• Options
    Have an appointment with my OB tomorrow after lunch. Will be 30 weeks exactly. They're squeezing in a BPP on baby boy cause his fluid levels were the slightest bit high 2 weeks ago; baby girl was fine. I'm kind of hoping that they'll also quickly measure and figure out how much they weigh now; curious to see if they're still roughly 2 weeks ahead in both length and weight! 
  • Options
    @kelk5 This is totally a FFFC, but I haven't called. My stress and anxiety are so high right now in general (work and relationship issues), that I don't want to add more stress. I am going to just try and remain calm, keep an eye on kicks as they told me, call if anything changes, and work on accepting that this is for the best. I plan on making a big list of questions to ask MFM at my first appointment with them. But, looking back on everything she said, I think my fluid is measuring high. She kept saying they want to make sure the fluid levels are ok and she was shocked when my fundal height was right on target, then said, "well you are so tall that it is probably just growing back and wide not just high."

So, basically trying to work on my mental health a little bit before getting the info. Knowing right now won't actually change the plan, and I know me and I would just start researching it and freaking myself out, which is the exact opposite of what I need at this moment. Thank you for checking in! 

Y'all can feel free to flame me if I am being ignorant. Please feel free to point out any flaws in my logic (because, I would rather that happen if people think I am being unreasonable, and potentially change my opinion. I am just worried about how stressed I am and adding even more to it.)
  • Options
    @lmmjd Your emotional/mental health is so important! Don't feel guilty, especially if there isn't really anything to be gained from calling. You need to keep yourself in a good place so that you can keep baby's environment safe. If there are things you need to work out or talk through, you're in the perfect place. Hang in there. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker