March 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions ~ Week of 11/12

Re: Weekly Questions ~ Week of 11/12

• My shoe size never changed 1st pregnancy and is the same for now too.

DS:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm having massive nipple dryness and chafing issues and don't really want to use Lanisoh right now because I tried it but hate how it feels. I've read that coconut oil can be a substitute, has anyone tried this? It seems like it would be super messy to me, but the Lanisoh is sticky and oily which I hate. Lotion hasn't helped at all and I'm sensitive to shea butter so anything with that in it is a definite no go for me :(
    Met 2004, Married 2011, Trying since 2013. Info in spoiler:

BabyFruit Ticker

Me: 30
    Diagnosed with PCOS, later changed to unexplained anovulation due to high prolactin and normal testosterone levels
    Him: 31
    High sperm count (yay!) but also super high fluid volume (boo!)
    First IUI, Clomid and Follistim: 11/29-BFN
    Second IUI, Femara and Follistim: 12/29-BFN
    Third IUI, Femara and Gonal-F (and Follistim): 1/28 BFN
    Fourth IUI, Femara and Gonal-F: 7/23 BFN
    IVF 1: Femara and Gonal-F: 1/23/2017
    Beta Study:
    Beta #1: 1/28/2017 4.1
    Beta #2: 1/30/2017 34
    Beta #3: 2/1/2017 131
    Beta #4: 2/3/2017 476
    Ultrasound: 2/14/17-Twin Etopic Pregnancy, surgery to remove right fallopian tube on 2/17/2017
    FET 2: Femara, Gonal-F, and Clomid: Cycle Canceled due to low progesterone
    FET 3: July 7, Femara, Gonal-F, Clomid-BFP!!!!!! Due March 2018
    https://desertratpack.wordpress.com/
  • @bb3vj3n honestly I'll probably have my sister or mom help me with my toe nails when they start getting long (I love my husband but I'm afraid he would cut me lol), and I've never felt the need to groom down there outside of washing, and I don't need to see to do that. Granted I'm too lazy to bother shaving anywhere besides under my arms so I may not be a good resource for that  :D

BabyFruit Ticker

Diagnosed with PCOS, later changed to unexplained anovulation due to high prolactin and normal testosterone levels
    Beta Study:
    Ultrasound: 2/14/17-Twin Etopic Pregnancy, surgery to remove right fallopian tube on 2/17/2017
  • @amanning2011 coconut oil is actually very drying - I would not recommend using it in your nipples
  • @amanning2011 I use Motherlove nipple cream currently on mine because I have the same issue. I used it while nursing my son and it was my favorite 
  • @amanning2011 I was going to mention that coconut oil can be drying for some people (me) too. 

I used Earth Mama Nipple Butter but it contains Shea. I think Motherlove does too. Maybe straight cocoa butter? Are you nursing - does it need to be "baby safe"? I think I've also heard of people using olive oil. Sweet almond oil and argan oil are others I've used for skin care. Good luck! 
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • @orbmaker My feet did grow half a shoe size with my first pregnancy, but shrunk again a bit (leaving me halfway between shoe sizes, ugh!)
  • Has the rib pain started with anyone else yet? I can’t tell if it’s gas or expanding ribs  :|
    its really not bad enough to warrant concern, it feels like it did with my son but it didn’t happen with him until later. 
  • I think this came up several weeks (months?) ago, but I've seen it popping up again in various threads. Does anyone have advice/suggestions for in-law visits? We live in an area with no family around, so anyone that visits is a minimum 8 hour drive from us, and they'd be visiting for an extended period of time (probably 3+ days)... that's fine for my family because they've seen me at me least glamorous in life before, and I know they'd be helpful around the house with cleaning, cooking, etc. However, I'm not really sure that I want my ILs there immediately after giving birth or right after we go home when we're trying to get things figured out for our little family because I know myself, and I'm going to have one or two (or 17) breakdowns in those first couple weeks. Also they're not overly helpful, and I already get frustrated by how much I have to clean up after them on their visits and that's pre-baby. Any input on when an ideal time for them to come out would be? Should I just suck it up and have them come out once I'm in labor so at least they'll be gone quickly? I really don't know when is going to be best.

I thought about making family/IL visits a separate thread, but I wasn't sure if it was worthy or not. If people think I should, just let me know and I can get one started!
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited November 2017
    @stlbuckeye132 if you aren’t comfortable with them coming over then have them wait at least a couple weeks. That is your time with baby and to recover. Or have them stay in a hotel. 

ETA I would say have them wait at least a month or two to visit if they aren’t helpful. You will have enough on your plate 
  • @amanning2011  I started having this issue a week or so ago. The Motherlove nipple cream also has Shea butter in it. It's main ingredient is olive oil, so you might want to try a dab of that. For me it didn't take much and absorbed quickly so it didn't get messy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Me @Gingermom15! I feel pressure on my bottom right ribs whenever I sit down. I won't say they hurt, it's just uncomfortable.

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Is 23 weeks too soon to feel hiccups? I have felt some pretty rhythmic bumps that last a minute or two the last 2 days and can't decide if it's regular kicks or hiccups. It doesn't really matter, just curious!

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Me @Gingermom15! I feel pressure on my bottom right ribs whenever I sit down. I won't say they hurt, it's just uncomfortable.
    Mine is on the bottom left and is more achy and uncomfortable. Definitely not unbearable, but super annoying 
  • How do y'all handle telling your ILs they can't visit until a month or two after the baby is born when your own parents will be there immediately?? Thankfully I don't have the same issues with my ILs (though they live close and I'm sure I'll have to shoo them away/out of the house a fair amount), but I know they would be very hurt if they couldn't see their (first) grandchild for that long. Especially if they knew that my mom was coming to stay for several weeks to help after the baby is born. I guess it's different for us since all of our parents live fairly close (5 hours or less in the car; under an hour flight) and wouldn't need to stay for an extended period to make up for travel.

@stlbuckeye132 Could you specify that if they come immediately they stay in a hotel? That way you have some space but they still get to visit.

• @Gingermom15 do you think it's acceptable to make them wait a month or two if my parents are coming within the first week? I'm not trying to start a family war either. I try talking to MH about this, but he's not so helpful. (I wonder where he gets it from! :lol:)
  • @notthefather I’m noticing hiccups, too, I’m 26 weeks, but I don’t think 23 is too soon!
  • amanning2011amanning2011 member
    edited November 2017
    @becausescience First, I love your handle! I'm not currently nursing (these are my first babies) so it doesn't need to be baby safe, but if I don't have to switch products that would be great lol.

Thank you all for your help! I think I'm going to try just plain coco butter or olive oil to see if that helps better, I really wish lotion helped at all, but I tried it for 2 weeks daily and nothing :/

@stlbuckeye132 I wish I could help you, but my MIL is an early pediatric RN so I've actually asked her to come and visit when the twins are first born to help out. Maybe telling them that while you would love their visit that you feel you (and the baby) would be too tired to entertain a lot of people and you will let them know as soon as you feel up to a visit?

BabyFruit Ticker

Beta Study:
  • @amanning2011 I'm currently using aquaphor to try and heal a nipple crack that still hasn't healed since I stopped breastfeeding last April. I don't even notice it once I put my clothes on. Sure it gets on my bra, but eh, it's just a dot of aquaphor. It's been helping a ton!
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited November 2017
    @stlbuckeye132 whatever you are comfortable with and whatever you decide is best is completely acceptable. Don’t put yourself out for someone to visit that you have to clean up after and worry about. You’re the Mom, this is YOUR baby 

eta 
    if they were visitng for a couple of hours, then I could understand. But for an extended visit so soon after birth is a lot to handle. If you can lay some ground rules for them, such as helping and doing chores while they’re there, that’s acceptable. You have a baby to care for, you don’t need adults to look after as well. 
  • @stlbuckeye132 I second the advice to suggest they get a hotel when they visit. If you try to make them wait a month to meet their grandchild, I would imagine it would cause a lot of hurt and drama. Especially if your parents are coming right away. I guess just lay out expectations ahead of time and hope for the best? It’s a tricky situation...
  • Anyone know if Hypnobabies has been brought up anywhere on here?  I was thinking about getting it but wanted to hear some IRL stories first.
  • @Gingermom15 meee... that is honestly my biggest pregnancy complaint is that freaking rib pain. Mine is like right under my sternum and going across either way. It feels like constant bruising. Fortunately I think I'm used it because last pregnancy is brought me to tears several times. This time it's at least tolerable that I don't have to cry about it lol... but still not comfortable.
  • npkatnpkat member
    edited November 2017
    @stlbuckeye132 I am having the same dilemma. All our family is 7 hours away. My mom has already offered to stay with us for a while after baby is born, which I am definitely letting her. When my in laws will come has not come up in conversation yet, but I know being home for holidays, it is bound to. They are awesome and would give us space if we asked, but also be a little bitter about it too I think. My father in law already gave me a hard time because I said we were probably staying with my sister at Thanksgiving instead of their house. I want them to see the baby as soon as they can, but it stresses me out just thinking about having extra people at the house to "entertain". Maybe asking them to get a hotel would solve the issue, but I just wonder if they would say, well why isn't your family getting a hotel. Such sticky situation  :|
  • Thank you to everyone who shared whether you take probiotics! 
  • I was just given instructions for my 1 hour glucose test, and it says NOT to fast (and just not to have a big meal right before). Is that normal? All the stuff online says to fast... I'm gonna do what my doctor says over the internet, but just wanted to know if that is abnormal. 
  • @vflux33 My instructions actually specifically say I can eat whatever I want prior to drinking the glucola.  With DD I just tried not to eat a ton of carbs/sugar before. I think there are more restrictions for the 3 hour one. 
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • @vflux33 I was instructed with my first to eat a meal lower in carbs and sugar. My ob specifically told me not to starve myself because it would probably just make me sick. 

• I was GBS positive with my son and had BV in the beginning of this one. It sounds like probiotics would be beneficial, thank you! What dose do you take?
    I was told to take a 50 billion dose which sounded so crazy to me at first, but after finding out you can't over do it and seeing the drastic changes in my body...I'm so pleased!
  • antoto said:
    Anyone know if Hypnobabies has been brought up anywhere on here?  I was thinking about getting it but wanted to hear some IRL stories first.
    I was debating between Hypnobabies and Hypnobirthing - Marie Mongan method. 

I did a lot of research to come to this conclusion: They are both great and a lot of birth practitioners (Obs, midwives, etc...) say they see no appreciable difference in their patients who choose one over the other. 

That being said, here's my two cents: Hypnobirthing is the original hypno method geared towards guided study and Hypnobabies is a slightly varied version geared towards personal home study. 

For the same price as the Hypnobabies study course, you might be able to find a Hypnobirthing certified doula who will give you private classes, price including the materials. That's what I did. I was shocked!

I started the books and tapes. I can so see how this needs some guidance in practice but for the first time I FINALLY see how I will have peace surrounding my birth. 

Yikes. That was long. Sorry. 
  • For breastfeeding mamas (or those that intend to). What is the deal with pumping early on? Should you do it to increase your supply, hold off for a few weeks, etc?

To be clear - I will be home for a few months so hopefully won't NEED to pump until we introduce a bottle, but am wondering if I should pump after nursing in the beginning for supply purposes? I am reading the womanly art of breastfeeding and its not very clear on that specific point. Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

Me: 28  Him: 30

Married: 11/15/14

TTC: 02/2016

IF DX: MFI (low count & morphology) & mild PCOS

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

August 2016 BFP - MC @6w1d

June 2017 - 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP 7/6/17!!

Beta #1 = 422 (14dpo), Beta #2 = 810, prog - 12.3 (16dpo), Beta #3 = 5023, prog - 18.9 (20dpo)

[/spoiler]

• So I know Bed Bath & Beyond and Buy Buy Baby are owned by the same company, and I've heard several people say before that you can use Buy Buy coupons at BB&B. Does anyone know if it works the other way around? Can you use BB&B coupons at Buy Buy Baby? Please say yes...
  • @stlbuckeye132 they told me that we could when I went in to check out double strollers last month?