March 2018 Moms
Options

Baby shower

I'm curious to know when others are planning to have this with Christmas coming up? I'm thinking of doing it at the end of Jan or in Feb.  I'm due March 27/28 ish. Do you think if I do early Feb I'd still have enough time for everything? I live with in-laws and husband so would have some help setting stuff up. Just wondering what others are doing. 

Re: Baby shower

• Options
    Sorry by this I meant the title which is have a baby shower 
  • Options
    mine is Feb 4th and I'm due March 14th
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had some disappointments with the way my bridal shower was done and it would have been much less stressful to do it on my own so this time around with baby I'm just going to plan my own. I don't really care what the norm is and if people don't like it they don't have to attend. I'm also doing a co-ed one which isn't all that normal either. 
  • Options
    Early February gives you plenty of time. That timeline would also give people a break from the holidays before the shower. 
  • Options
    My mom and aunt will be throwing mine on January 27th. I’ll be 32 weeks. We wanted to give people time to catch up after the holidays but didn’t want to wait too long so that I would have time to buy everything else I need. 
  • Options
    I’m having mine the first weekend in February, and I’m due 3/20. Thankfully I’ve had several people offer to host, but I agree with the other posters - don’t worry about what people think re: hosting your own shower. If there aren’t folks close by who are offering and/or you’d rather just take care of it yourself, then I say go right ahead. The people who are huffy about it don’t have to come. 
  • Options
    I'm a bit torn on the timing for my shower. January seems ideal since that's the only month with nothing going on, but then my birthday is just about mid-February and it might be nice to just roll a shower and birthday into one event? I'm due March 13, so mid-Feb might be pushing it a little though.

I also am thinking that, no matter who ends up volunteering to throw it, I'm going to ask for it to be hosted at my house. Aside from being well-located right between both of my main social circle locations and near both my parents, that'll also save us all the hassle of trying to load up the gifts and transporting them after (and then if I do roll it with my birthday I can just set myself up on my own couch so it might not be as uncomfortable to have a shower so late).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've actually posted before and I also posted an introductory thing as well 
  • Options
    Perhaps you don't recognize the name because I just changed it from the generic long list of numbers the app just gave me. 
  • Options
    @csfirsttimemom Did you post under a different username?  I don't see your introduction or any other posts on this board in your post history.
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    I don't remember the previous name, it was a bunch of numbers. I can post something if necessary
  • Options
    Co-ed shower January 27th. Can't wait! I gave people a month from the holidays to get everything together!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My mom keeps suggesting having my "shower" after the baby is born, but I'd much prefer to have it late Jan - Mid Feb. I think she just wants to be able to host (partly) outside and is paranoid about a snow storm. I'm not opposed to a Meet the Baby party, but: 

1) I'd want to wait until she is at least a few months old and I am returning to functioning human. No crowds for newborn and wigged out parents, please! 
    2) I feel like this isn't even a "shower" any more... I don't want to focus on gifts, but isn't that kind of the point? Most of what we actually need/want, we'll have to accumulate one way or another before she's born...

• Options
    @gh515 We're doing one ladies-only shower (mainly because it's going to be huge) and one co-ed shower with some of our friends. The cluelessness of men re: anything ob/gyn related is hilarious (and frustrating) to me. My DH missed the first ultrasound because *TW* I had some bleeding and had to go in early *end TW* and I wasn't sure if the AS would be an internal or external US (FTM) so I warned him beforehand. He was like "They do WHAT??" He has already told me he's going to be holding my hands and rubbing my shoulders *above the waist* because he's not sure he can make it through watching the full birth without passing out.
  • Options

I'm weird about being early to everything and with the baby being due mid February and Minnesota winters, I want everything done sooner rather than later. I have two showers coming up, one Dec. 2 and another one Dec. 16.

I'm due Feb. 23 but I want to have everything in place and ready to go just in case. Call it paranoia. lol

• Options
    @ksmwalters
    haha, I do find men oddly endearing with their lack of knowledge sometimes... my husband also missed the earlier ultrasounds since I too *TW* was bleeding to prompt going in *TW*, so he was extra clueless when he did go to the anatomy scan last week. 

I also don't blame your DH for wanting to stay "above the waist" in delivery... I feel like I might literally WANT mine to do the same. I think any of his even passing facial reactions would not be helpful for me/us. 

• Options
    @gh515 Oh yes, I told him I'm totally OK with him being above the waist, because he has the most expressive face ever and I think he'd freak me out even more than I already will be!
  • Options
    In terms of timing - my baby shower with my first was when I was 34 weeks and that timing worked out well. I'm not having one this time as it's my second.

I don't think a baby shower has to be women only, it's just whatever makes sense for the specific mother/couple/family/whatever. However, no one will be able to convince me that asking for gifts for yourself isn't tacky.

I don't think having it at the mother's house on it's own falls into that category or that the mom to be has to be completely hands off. I helped my mom organize behind the scenes (choosing a date/suggestions for activities/providing guest list - she doesn't know my friends' contact info, finding favors), partly because it's not something that is part of the culture/country where my mom was raised and I was born. She'd never been to a baby shower so even though she wanted to host she needed some help with what is typically done.

DS:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @orbmaker, I totally agree that doesn't sound like a good idea to wait until after the baby is born. A big reason to have the shower before baby is so you have the gifts ready to use for the baby, and so you know what's left to buy. Also, how on earth are you supposed to relax when juggling a newborn and a group of people. And maybe you wouldn't want your newborn around so many people at once pawing at them with with all their germy-germs.
  • Options
    My baby shower with my daughter was at 23/24 weeks, due to traveling constraints. Had it been under different circumstances I definitely would have expected to have it a couple weeks later. I loved being prepared, but I wasn’t even showing yet and it would be nice to have been able to actually tell I was pregnant in the pictures. We’re all definitely in kind of an odd boat given the time I’d usually expect a shower to be is around the holidays. I think January/early February still gives plenty of time though. 
  • Options
    I think late Jan/early Feb is plenty of time.  My shower with my first was actually at 36 weeks, she was due Dec 15th and we had it the week before Thanksgiving.  Looking back on it, it seems kind of late but luckily for me the host lived 4 doors down from me so I didn't have any travel to worry about.  I also had a second shower planned for me and thrown when DD was 2 months old (different group of friends) which was very nice, she just slept in her car seat the whole time so people just looked at her and didn't try to hold her because it was February and I didn't want any germs on her.  I was glad to have the "main" shower before she was born because that was where I received the bigger gifts like the stroller/car seat combo, tons of diapers, diaper pail, things I needed to set up before she was born.  So my long answer to your original question-Jan/Feb should be fine :)
  • Options
    I guess I think this whole belief that just because someone else "plans the shower with your input" means you are somehow magically "not asking for gifts" is thinly veiled bs. If you put together a gift registry, you're asking for gifts. period. 
    So, I guess that's my UO, gift registries are tacky af.  :-P

That said, I reluctantly did one because everyone kept asking me to. I've made it clear that for our showers, gifts are absolutely not necessary. We just want to celebrate this little one that took so much for us to bring into our lives. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm totally setting up a "secret" registry even though I'm not having a shower (that I know of! this is my third and second girl so there's not a ton we need) but I'm just setting it up so that I can get the discount on the items left on the list.  I might even set up two-one at BRU and one at Target and I don't feel bad about it :D
    I might set up a secret one at Target for the same reason.
  • Options
    Is it weird I used to be all about co-ed showers until I actually had a kid? Now it's nice to leave my DD behind with Dad so I can go to someone's baby shower and enjoy the occasion rather than chasing my toddler. And he does help out with her at events and parties where the whole family is invited, but it's always inevitable that I look over as the kids are all sitting on top of the moms trying to talk and the guys are just chilling drinking a beer. It's like the law of the universe no matter how well meaning the Dads are.
  • Options
    Reviving this thread because I have some questions! 

What are your plans for party favors? and what about a gift for to give to the generous person/people who host the shower for us?
    A lot of what I see on pinterest involve candy which I'm just not thrilled about, or booze (my hosts don't drink so doesn't work for them), or bath/girly stuff but we're having a coed party. Anyone got any creative ideas to share? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @fatstagnation I think the hosts are in charge of the party favors, but for the host gift maybe you could do a spa gift card?  Or maybe some cute jewelry if they like that sort of thing (I always like Kate Spade for this)? Depends on your host. Figure out what they love doing and make it happen!
  • Options
    @fatstagnation I took my host out to lunch the next day. It was a surprise shower so I didn’t have anything planned ahead of time, but she’s my best friend and food is the way to both of our hearts. As far as party favors, I don’t think she did them? If she did, I’m completely failing to remember what they were (this was almost two years ago) but I agree that whoever is hosting is probably the one who needs to worry about that (but if you have good ideas, don’t be afraid to pitch in and give them your thoughts - it’s your party after all) 

I think ultimately it depends on the person. Wine works for some people as a thank you, food works for others, spa days, movie tickets, etc. Whatever is within your means that you think they’ll appreciate. And try to keep in mind that they probably (at least shouldn’t be) aren’t throwing you a party just so you’ll buy them a thank you gift, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself. If it were me, all I’d need is an “I appreciate you” and anything beyond that is just extra and not expected.
  • Options
    @fatstagnation For guests I did decorated sugar cookies. I got each host a candle/lotion/soap and a gift card (and nice thank you card with that).
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18