May 2018 Moms

GTKY- who cares more about the sex?

Some of us want a girl, some of us want a boy, some of us don't mind either way, but what about your family? 
Who do you think cares more about the sex than anyone else?
Do you have any stories of family members getting upset about past babies and their sexes?
Let's gripe on how weird family can be about something that has zero affect on their lives.

Re: GTKY- who cares more about the sex?

• Loading the player...
  • DH reallllly wants a boy because he’s the last of his name (I tend to roll my eyes at this but it is obviously important to him), but he loves his girls dearly and has convinced me (which he had to do before we even thought about #3) that he’d be okay with another girl. I really don’t feel strongly either way, but if I could choose i guess I would pick a boy just so DH could get his wish. The girls are just so sweet, though! I know boys are too, though :)
  • @sharkmama39, I thought our mothers would be against us being Team Green, but they're all excited about it!
    There are 5 grandkids on one side and 8 on the other and no one has been team green so I think it's just a new and exciting experience for everyone. 

And I love that he is going to buy her a softball bat! 
  • I'm sure I've got family hoping for a girl (we've got two boys already).
    November Siggy Challenge

• MIL for sure cares the most. She had two boys and had all grandsons. I know she’s hoping this baby is a girl. DH and I both don’t care. If anyone else cares, they haven’t said anything to us. 
  • I want a boy, selfishly because he will be the first boy in the grandchildren line for both sides. My husband doesn't care either way. If the baby ends up a girl, I will still be thrilled. I'll just try for boy again!
    My TTC journey:
    Me and DH: 30-35
    Unexplained infertility
    TTC #1 since 2015
    11/2015 - BFP!     12/2015 - MC  :'(
    IVF #1 July 2017 freeze all (20 eggs, 15 mature, 10 fert, 6 blasts, 4 PGS normal)
    FET #1 TBD  Surprise BFP 9/2017 while waiting for FET... hoping for the best!

Pregnancy Ticker

• We all want a girl. All sides. Though @suchaglencoco ;) if it's a boy, MIL will cry and probably freak out, this could very well be her last grandchild, and definitely the last one for yrs to come. She has 4 grandsons and no granddaughters. Regardless of gender, I plan on doing a reveal special for her cuz she cares the most. 

I have talked with SO, we are both ok if it is another boy. Our son though is convinced it's a boy. If it's a girl he will probably be disappointed. This is definitely our last regardless of the sex. 
  • Both sides are hoping for boy. When I say hoping they are adamant about me needing to have a boy. DH's side wants it to be a boy to carry on the name. DH doesn't care about carrying on the name. Ever since we had DD they have been insistent on us needing to eat pregnant with a boy. I really hate that old school thinking because hell men change their names now. My side wants a boy because they think girls are too much work and need too much. Don't really agreee but whatever. DH doesn't care either way and is actually content if we have all girls. I am hoping it's a girl because I really want DD to experience having a sister close in age. My sister and I are 12 yrs apart and had nothing to bond over until we started having kids at the same time. 
  • @knw007 So many people think that way, yours isn't the only one (a boy to carry on the "name"). It's more prevalent in traditional cultures too.
    My TTC journey:
    Me and DH: 30-35
    Unexplained infertility
    TTC #1 since 2015
    11/2015 - BFP!     12/2015 - MC  :'(
    IVF #1 July 2017 freeze all (20 eggs, 15 mature, 10 fert, 6 blasts, 4 PGS normal)
    FET #1 TBD  Surprise BFP 9/2017 while waiting for FET... hoping for the best!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @thedawkterswife I'm having a boy and I'm concerned about penis care too. It just seems so weird to have to do that. I'm not upset about a boy, it's just weird.
  • Taking care of a penis really isn't hard, you just wipe it a tad different. Our b/g twins are almost 2 and they only get different care based on their personalities, not from their physical differences. 
    I don't think it'll be an issue until potty training and even then, I don't think it'll be a be big one until DS learns to stand to pee.
  • Taking care of a penis really isn't hard, you just wipe it a tad different. Our b/g twins are almost 2 and they only get different care based on their personalities, not from their physical differences. 
    I don't think it'll be an issue until potty training and even then, I don't think it'll be a be big one until DS learns to stand to pee.
    I know it's not take a big deal, I can't explain why it feels weird. I have 2 younger brothers and changed their diapers and felt like it would be weird to have a good when DD was born too. 
    Both my girls wish they could stand to per which has been pretty gross. Kinda looking forward to it being less messy this time!
  • @nanifrog I think I understand what you mean. We have a boy and are having a girl this time around and it just is something different to wrap your head around as opposed to what you already know. But then I think about how clueless I was about everything before DS and how we just figured it out. 
  • @mileswithmyles i'm in the same boat as you.  we already have a son and are expecting a girl this time around.  I have changed plenty of girl diapers in my life, but it will be different for my own child.  Not a bad different, just different and I am sure it will come to me naturally once LO is born.  
  • I was the one who cared because I've always wanted a daughter due to my close relationship with my mom. However we now know it's a boy and I'm adapting :) MH had a slight preference for a girl as well but I think he's happy that having a boy now means it'll be easier to convince me to have a second kid!
  • sandbar517 said:.
    @thunderberry, I'm going to blame it on pregnancy brain, but I totally read your sentence as "we know it's a boy and I'm adopting."  I thought, "Whoa!! That's a really extreme reaction to baby not being the sex you wanted!!!"  Geez, just ignore me LOL  
    I also read it that way.
  • molly1108-2molly1108-2 member
    edited November 2017

My MIL only had boys (x3) so she was dying for a girl when I was pregnant with my first two. I failed. My SIL had a daughter since so in theory she shouldn't care but I'm CERTAIN she wants it to be a girl. When I was pregnant with my first and she found out he was a boy she was all "I'll never get my girl" and I was like please. It's not your kid anyway. You had your chance. Leave me along. I didn't actually say that but I wish. She was so whiney and annoying about it for MONTHS.

We both do want a girl this time just because we'd like to have one at some point and this would likely be our last. I have a strong feeling it is a boy though. Who knows. It's truly fine either way. I like the boys I have so far and I have a mountain of clothes so that makes it cheaper!

ETA: I also really wanted a boy with my second. My preference if I had only had two would be for them to be the same sex.