February 2018 Moms
Options

35 and over moms - November

Re: 35 and over moms - November

• Options
     Failed my 1 hour miserably with a 162. Now scheduled to take the 3 hour on Tuesday.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    babybro218babybro218 member
    edited November 2017
     Failed my 1 hour miserably with a 162. Now scheduled to take the 3 hour on Tuesday.  
    Right there with you at 162. Taking 3 hr tomorrow and so nervous. 
    ETA: when I saw the letter online from my OB, DH said, “You got a ‘See Me’ on your test!” I was already upset. I lost it. I said, “I don’t get See Me’s, I GIVE See Me’s!!!” 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sabriel1sabriel1 member
    edited November 2017
    . Sorry, accidental post

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    Right there with you at 162. Taking 3 hr tomorrow and so nervous. 
    ETA: when I saw the letter online from my OB, DH said, “You got a ‘See Me’ on your test!” I was already upset. I lost it. I said, “I don’t get See Me’s, I GIVE See Me’s!!!” 
    I'm so upset to! Hopefully we both pass this time!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Good luck @mamaof5already and @babybro218!  You're gonna ace the 3 hour!
  • Options
    Thinking about you & hoping you pass today @mamaof5already and @babybro218!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hoping you guys pass @mamaof5already and @babybro218!
  • Options
    Results came back from 3 hr test so quickly! I failed :( The bright side is that they think it can be controlled with diet. @clc515 I will be with you watching everyone else enjoy Thanksgiving meals and holiday cookies. @mamaof5already I hope it goes better for you!!!
  • Options
    @babybro218 Awww I'm sorry, but GREAT news if you can control by diet! I guess just one piece of pie on turkey day and lots of meat and veggies... and then another piece of pie for night time snack ha!
  • Options
    I'm sorry @babybro218!  I'm sure indulging one day on Thanksgiving won't throw you off that much.
  • Options
    @clc515 @babybro218 I don't know if either of you like pumpkin pie but I follow some fellow (pre-pregnancy) Weight Watchers on Instagram and one of them posted a recipe for a 2 SP version that everyone's raving about.  It should be low sugar and carb friendly if you'd like me to go back and find it again?  Maybe it'll make Thanksgiving a teensy bit more fun?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Results came back from 3 hr test so quickly! I failed :( The bright side is that they think it can be controlled with diet. @clc515 I will be with you watching everyone else enjoy Thanksgiving meals and holiday cookies. @mamaof5already I hope it goes better for you!!!
    What kind of diet did they recommend? 
  • Options
    @Chawk17 I don't need to count carbs, I just need to make sure that I am eating equal amounts of proteins and fats (combined) as carbs.  So I can't eat carbs on their own, I need to make sure I have my carbs with a protein or fat...something I was doing almost religiously before TTC, but seriously let it go once I got pregnant.  At this point, I need to monitor my levels 4 times a day and then go back in a week with a food diary and my glucose meter readings.  
  • Options
    @Chawk17 I don't need to count carbs, I just need to make sure that I am eating equal amounts of proteins and fats (combined) as carbs.  So I can't eat carbs on their own, I need to make sure I have my carbs with a protein or fat...something I was doing almost religiously before TTC, but seriously let it go once I got pregnant.  At this point, I need to monitor my levels 4 times a day and then go back in a week with a food diary and my glucose meter readings.  
    The part that seems the hardest would be the finger pricks. Ouch. 
  • Options
    @babybro218 that sucks that you failed! Do you still have to prick your finger? At least no shots is a plus. 

I'm terrified of needles,  I don't know what I'm going to do if I fail,  frankly I'm not even sure how I'm going to make it through the 4 blood draws for the test!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I do have to prick my finger...4x/day for now. It hurt the first few times, but by the end of day 2, I’m getting the hang.  So far, my numbers have all been good with diet. 

I really hope it goes well for you on Tuesday, @mamaof5already!!! Lots of deep breaths and looking away got me through the blood draws. Keep us posted!!!
  • Options
    @babybro218 I found rotating fingers helps some. Not sure what you're using to prick your finger but mine is adjustable and I use the lowest number that will still get blood, not sure if that makes sense
  • Options
    @babybro218 definitely rotate fingers and sides of fingers! Yay for keeping numbers good with diet, sounds like your plan is pretty manageable. Plus, at least for me, they look at your overall averages versus having a bad day once in a while. 
  • Options
    @clc515 that is really good to know about averages!  I also found a chocolate-y snack that meets the carb:protein criteria.  The BarkThins with nuts or seeds.  So grateful for these!
  • Options
    I love Bark Thins!!  If you have a Costco nearby they sell that kind in a large bag for a good price @babybro218
  • Options
    I love Bark Thins!!  If you have a Costco nearby they sell that kind in a large bag for a good price @babybro218
    This is even better news!  
  • Options
    Nice find! Fair Life chocolate milk is good too if you want a fix. Tastes like Yoohoo. I think it's 12g carbs and 13g protein (or vice versa). 
  • Options
    @mamaof5already Thinking of you today!  I hope your test goes well!!!
  • Options
    @babybro218 thanks! I survived and just got home.  I didn't know i had to give a pee sample every hour with the blood samples.  They ended up taking all the samples from my bicep (maybe the weirdest place they've had to draw from me yet) and had me lay down in a darkened room for the last 2 hours.  Hopefully I'll come out good,  won't know till tomorrow...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @babybro218 thanks! I survived and just got home.  I didn't know i had to give a pee sample every hour with the blood samples.  They ended up taking all the samples from my bicep (maybe the weirdest place they've had to draw from me yet) and had me lay down in a darkened room for the last 2 hours.  Hopefully I'll come out good,  won't know till tomorrow...
    STUCK IN BOX:  Wow!  What a crazy experience.  I didn't have to give urine and I WISH they had let me lie down for the last hour.  FX for you!
  • Options
    I didn't have to give a urine sample and didn't know they took blood samples from your bicep @mamaof5already.  It's interesting how every lab is different.  I wish my lab would have had somewhere for me to lay down!  I ended up in my car laying down.  Hope you get good results tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Was the bicep the only place  where they could find a strong vein? And was in in the same arm- ouch?
  • Options
    Chawk17 said:
    Was the bicep the only place  where they could find a strong vein? And was in in the same arm- ouch?
    Yeah,  my veins suck.  They are small,  deep and roll, and it's worse if I'm not fully hydrated.   The bicep was the best one available yesterday with each draw they just went farther up the vein.  I have a huge purple bruise now.   For me blood draws are probably the worse parry of pregnancy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mamaof5already I had to pee in a cup with every blood draw too.  But I was allowed to drink water the whole time so it made the entire process easier.  Sounds like you got put through the ringer.  Fingers crossed for good results!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That does not sound fun @mamaof5already!!  Hope you get good news today.
  • Options
    The scale was not kind at this week's doctor visit.  I'm up 23 lbs at 27 weeks and am absolutely mortified.  I gave in and broke my no fast food rule after my glucose test and it was all downhill after that last week.  Started this week better - no fast food and only a couple of sweet treats - but good God have my appetite and portion sizes been out of control.  I'm seriously afraid of the damage I might do to the turkey tomorrow! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat @fatted_calf! The holidays are going to make me eat more and add pounds. Oh well! At least the baby will be well fed :)
  • Options
    @jennifer_m21 lol, at my last ultrasound the baby's belly was measuring a full week ahead and now I understand why!

I think get overly worked up about the weight gain because once upon a time I was close to 100lbs overweight and worked so hard to lose it all.  I live in fear of not being able to lose it after the baby because I'm older and my body will have gone through so much change.  I'm going to try and add a Zumba class back into my exercise routine next week. I've been walking 3 days a week but it's not enough, apparently.  I'm not going to try and lose right now, obviously, but I have to get the gain under control or the next 3 months are going to be horrific.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You'll figure out your happy medium @fatted_calf!  If you lost the weight before you can do it again.  Takes a little more effort at our age but you can do it!  Don't beat yourself up and enjoy your holidays.
  • Options
    @fatted_calf I totally Understand your worry. My mom never lost her baby weight and has been obese most of my life, so I fear genetics. Plus, I was In the best shape of my life two years ago, before TTGP. Now I’m in the worst shape of my life and gained more weight than I was hoping to by this point. I’m trying not to worry about it and will come up with a realistic Postpartum goal when the time is right. I’m always happy to have a virtual fitness/accountability buddy after the babies arrive!!
  • Options
    @fatted_calf don't stress now About it.   it'll all work out in the end and we can be moral support to help each other lose after the babies are here. I now weigh 17#s more than i ever have,  even with a full term 9# baby! 

Sidenote,  if you can do Zumba now you rock! I have trouble walking up multiple flights of stairs and getting into my dh's truck. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

(((hugs))) @fatted_calf - I lost 140 lbs many years ago and kept it off for a few years, only gaining weight when I was on certain medication where weight gain was one of the side effects/warnings. I gained 20 lbs in 6ish months, went off the medication, and then got pregnant with my dd3. Unlike my history of losing weight during pregnancy with my other kids, I gained a whopping 50 lbs. I started at a normal weight. My eating habits weren't all that different, but it was five years after my last pregnancy and a lot of body and hormonal changes.

Needless to say, I never lost that pregnancy weight and developed thyroid issues five months postpartum that went undiagnosed for two years and put on a ton more weight no matter what I did. That coupled with depression made things worse. The same things that helped me lose 100+ lbs simply didn't work. I couldn't lose more than 15 lbs and had a host of other issues. So this surprise pregnancy really did mess with my mind in terms of struggling with weight, the associated risks and body image issues. I figure there's not much I can do about it now besides continuing to track my macros and make good eating choices on most occasions, though I like to indulge. I'll work on getting back to a healthy weight once baby is here. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    @fatted_calf I totally Understand your worry. My mom never lost her baby weight and has been obese most of my life, so I fear genetics. Plus, I was In the best shape of my life two years ago, before TTGP. Now I’m in the worst shape of my life and gained more weight than I was hoping to by this point. I’m trying not to worry about it and will come up with a realistic Postpartum goal when the time is right. I’m always happy to have a virtual fitness/accountability buddy after the babies arrive!!
    Same, my mom was overweight after second baby...but she was also 28 years old.  I am 35 so...I really stress about it as well.   Glad there are others out there :)
  • Options
    I passed!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I passed!
    YAYAYAYYY!! Congrats! Now go enjoy some stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pie tomorrow!!!