March 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions—5 November

Re: Weekly Questions—5 November

• Options
    Soo.. we have DD’s infant seat, but it expires in April (I’m actually due mid Feb, but started here  ;) ). Should we use it from Feb-April then buy new? Buy new right now? Use old one then switch baby to a convertible? Only reasons that isn’t ideal is because I live in the tundra so it’s nice to keep them in their seats AND I don’t have to always wake a sleeping baby with the infant carrier. That said, we don’t use the carriers much beyond about 7 mos because I have a bad back and by that point baby+seat gets pretty heavy. We currently have a Chicco stroller and the little click and go stroller frame, but man... another Chicco infant seat is NOT cheap! 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv, if it expires in April can you still use it for all of April? Or does it expire April 1st then? I don't know how that works. 

I am cheap, so I would probably be tempted to use and just go to a convertible. Unless you're planning on having another kid. Then invest in another bucket. But the thought of buying a car seat to use for just a few months really hurts my bank account. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv Ugh that is tough.  I'd also be tempted to switch to a convertible as it would only be for a few months.  But I loved being able to keep DD bundled up in her carseat (with one of those shower cap style covers and a blanket when it was cold (does it start getting nicer in April where you are?).  And being able to carry her in her seat while sleeping was great too, but maybe not worth the cost of an extra seat.
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv the way I see it is obviously you’re going to need a new seat eventually. It’s just up to you if it’s worth buying the carrier for only a few months of use before you switch them to the bigger seat. Personally I would just use the old seat for a couple months and then switch to the bigger seat (I’m brain farting and can’t think of the name, basically just the infant safe seats that aren’t carryable) but I also have a VERY hard time carrying baby in the infant seats so I usually opt to just take baby out anyway. 
  • Options
    Glad I’m not the only one stumped on what decision to make. If I could snag a really good deal I would totally buy a new infant seat and then sell it as soon as we are done using it. I’m 90% sure this is our last as this baby was so hard to make happen. TW* Unfortunately due to losses this seat didn’t even get a chance to be re-used. I thought it would last us longer (DD is only 3), but it must’ve been an older manufacturing date when we purchased it? I swore someone said seats last 5-ish years, so that must’ve been what happened. Such a bummer!! 
  • Options
    If the car seat was still in good condition and kept in a cool, dry storage area then I’d probably be ok using it for a couple months past expiration. Once the expiration date hits it doesn’t automatically make it “bad” persay. Use your best judgement. I wouldn’t buy another infant carrier in this situation 
  • Options
    @ShawnnaO convertible seats I believe is what you’re thinking of  :D
  • Options
    @Gingermom15 thank you. I’m so good with words.  :#
  • Options
    @Gingermom15 @chasingroygbiv if you decided to use it past it’s expiration, I would check with your insurance because some coverage won’t apply if you get in an accident and don’t use the seat within the manufacturer’s guidelines. My SIL has been using an expired seat with her youngest the whole time ((10 months now)) and DH looked up the rules to try to convince her to actually use an unexpired seat. 
  • Options
    I would strongly discourage you from using a car seat past its expiration. They have expiration dates for a reason. It's just not a risk I'm willing to take. Drinking milk a day or two past the best before date? Okay. Car seat with an infant? I wouldn't mess around. 

Just my two cents. 

@chasingroygbiv, that really sucks that it expires so soon. I better pull mine out to double check. What type is yours? I think ours is 7 years after date of manufacture but I need to check the manual. This baby is also coming later than we expected due to losses. So I totally hear you on that. 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv: I totally understand the dilemma but since you asked I’ll give you my honest two cents  ;) Of all the things you buy for the baby, the car seat is the one most critical for your baby’s safety. With that in mind I would ty to save in other areas to get a good, quality, safe seat that fits in your budget and meets your needs. Money and budgets are real issues but in the grande scheme of things, $250 is worth the peace of mind that a good car seat gives me. 

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    @chasingroygbiv, I think there should be rules as to how long after a manufacture date they can sell a car seat. Seems ridiculous that you'd pay the same amount for one manufactured years before the one next to it on the shelf. 
  • Options
    I agree! And we paid full price for sure on that one. I’m going to look at it tomorrow morning and see if it says because now it’s got me really curious! @justkeeptrying
  • Options
    We have a tour of the maternity ward for the hospital I’ll be delivering at this weekend. Any important questions I should be sure to ask? 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: May 2008
    DD Born: March 2018
    DS Born: April 2019
    Due with #3 December 2020!
  • Options
    I’ve always had uneven breasts with the left being a little bigger. But now, leftie is TWO FULL CUP SIZES larger, and it seems like rightie hasn’t grown at all. I know there’s not anything I can do about it now and it’s considered “normal”, but I was wondering- once I start breastfeeding, is there a way to even things out? Or should I just resolve myself to having the most uneven breasts I’ve ever seen forever? *sigh
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv Personally, I would use the car seat until April, and then switch to the covertible 3-in-1 or whatever it’s called. Like you said, after a couple months baby is typically too heavy to carry in the car seat anyways.
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv I would use the April expiration date to buy more time to score one on a good deal. I think that Amazon may well have some Black Friday deals and I think January is also a popular time for deals on baby stuff. And I think Target just had one but aren't we due for a Babys R Us trade in where you can trade in an old one for a coupon for a solid amount off of a new one?

@JBcakes08 I'm going to go ahead and make a separate hospital/delivery center questions thread to make it easier to find. @ShawnnaO @day38 If you want to repost the questions you listed over there, that would be great but if you don't, I can just copy+paste. :)

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    @kiki75 thank you! A thread is awesome! 

@day38 @ShawnnaO awesome questions! thank you! I've been trying to write a list and didn't want to leave out something important. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: May 2008
    DD Born: March 2018
    DS Born: April 2019
    Due with #3 December 2020!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it because I’m driving myself batty over this. @kiki75 I was wondering about the BRU trade in. We just missed the Target trade in.  :/ I’ll be keeping my eyes and ears open, but if any of you hear let me know!! 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv I'd also check out the amazon warehouse deal options for a cheaper price. When you go to the item page, if you scroll down a little, there's a link that says "used and new from $xx," and that will take you to the list of amazon warehouse deals. We've purchased a lot of discounted stuff that way and never had any problems. And the items are still returnable and guaranteed by amazon. A lot of the stuff we buy as "like new" ends up being something where the outer item box was opened, but none of the inside packaging/parts bags were opened before someone decided to return it so the item itself is still new. We've gotten great deals on baby toys, strollers, and even diapers.

The prices and selection change all the time but right now it looks like there are several Chicco Keyfit car seats for $109 for "like new," and $103 for "very good."
  • Options
    @gazelle319 Wow! I never knew. So is a description included so we know something has never been opened? Or opened but never installed, used, etc? Or is it just kind of taking the chance? 
  • Options
    @sarahhedger7 I was 2 different sizes all through nursing  :s 
     now one side is bigger too, but not by much so it's not that noticeable 
    i ended up getting one of these patted things that "evened" me out. Can't for the life of mine recall the name...
  • Options
    @paigew123 I’ve always had to use an insert but now even that isn’t helping much lol. Oh well, you said yours got better after nursing? Here’s to hoping.

Side note- Bump app! Wtf on this autocorrect? It’s driving me crazy!
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv
    Each listing has a short description, like "packaging is damaged" or "cosmestic imperfection on item." Here's a link, and you'll see that each of the "very good" and "like new" listings have a slightly different description next to them: https://https//www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00ODZ5R7O/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all . Also below is the explanation from the Amazon help page. And forgot to mention, if you want to search the warehouse deals overall or just browse, here's the link to the main page: https://https//www.amazon.com/l/ref=sr_hi_0/10158976011

Product Condition

All of our products go through a quality check prior to being sold. We use conditions such as “Like New” to give you an understanding of the overall condition the product is in. We then help you better understand the item by using listing comments unique to that item.

Like new
    A "like new" item sold on Amazon Warehouse is in perfect condition, but due to the condition of the packaging, it does not meet Amazon.com standards for new product. Returned items with minor packaging defects are classified as "like new."
    Very good
    If an item has cosmetic damage or blemishes, shows slight signs of use, has minor accessories missing, or the packaging has been replaced to better protect the item, we will assign the condition of "very good."
    Good
    If an item has large cosmetic damage or blemishes and/or missing accessories, we will assign the condition of "good." It's possible the packaging has been replaced to better protect the item.
    Acceptable
    If an item shows signs of wear including scratches, dents, and other aesthetic problems, we will assign the condition of "acceptable." It's possible the packaging has been replaced to better protect the item, manuals may be missing, and the item may contain third-party attachments.

• Options
    @sarahhedger7 I too have had a 2 cup size difference my whole life (also with a bigger left), and it's even more notable since my chest itself is uneven from a condition called pectus excavatum. I even it out a bit with good bras and inserts, but I've always been very self-conscious about it, and have always feared growth in pregnancy could make the bigger one even more so. The very structured bras I wear aren't comfy in pregnancy, and wouldn't fit anyway since my chest has gotten a size bigger already in pregnancy. Ugh.

I asked the doctor about this at my first appointment in pregnancy, and she said there's no way to predict what will happen with them, but "most women" go back to what they were before once they finish nursing. I'm keeping fingers crossed that it evens out a bit, but am not optimistic. I'm anti plastic surgery for myself (no judgment for others on it!), so I'm hoping it doesn't become more drastic.

Sorry I don't have much better insight, but know that you aren't alone here either! (:

• Options
    Loving the hospital questions thread! Would anyone be up for a home birth questions thread and at what point?
  • Options
    @barrelocarol I’m doing a hospital birth, but I think that thread is something you should start now. We’re all halfway through and the moms wanting to do home births will probably benefit a lot from that thread being there early on. 
  • Options
    I just found out that my coworker has shingles. This isn't a big building. Just four of us. His office is down the hall and we would have shared things like door handles and kitchen facilities. I don't know what his plans are for returning to work at this point. I was out last week, he was here yesterday, and he was supposed to be out of town this week but stayed due to the shingles. 

What should I do at this point? Just wipe all shared surfaces down with Clorox wipes and if he stays out of the building, don't worry?

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    @kiki75 Maybe ask your OB?  But I'm assuming just avoid that dude at all possible cost.
  • Options
    @kiki75 Unfortunately, shingles is contagious before the rash. But if you've had chicken pox, I wouldn't be too concerned. Still call your OB to make sure, and wipe all your stuff down lol. 
  • Options
    @kiki75 omg my heart just melted a little bit at the mention of your 67 year old coworker getting married this weekend.  <3
  • Options
    @kiki75 I had a customer come in and sit down with me and she then proceeded to tell me (after she was already sitting down and we had had about a 10 minute conversation where I had handled her ID) that she was stopping here while she was waiting to pick up her prescriptions at the Rite Aid across the street because she had shingles.  I was not impressed and called my OB who told me the same thing that yours did.  In both your case and mine the people were TW for not mentioning anything BEFORE they exposed the pregnant ladies.  I want a sign on my desk that says "If you're sick, stay away"
  • Options
    @sarahhedger7 yes I went back to what it was pre pregnancy about a month after i quit nursing.
    Now in pregnancy my right side is def bigger then my left, but not too bad so I'm ignoring it. 
    Hoping it won't get worse when I'll nurse this time...
    it always made me feel sooo uncomfortable about myself...

• Options
    muggle621muggle621 member
    edited November 2017
    I apologize if I have asked this before, but is anyone considering not allowing children over to visit the first 4-6 weeks? I know it's obviously unavoidable if you already have kids. I am seriously considering it. My husbands friend was a NICU nurse who had their first baby in August. They didn't allow their nephews or friends to bring their kids the first 6 weeks. I like this idea, especially considering my neighbors kids catch everything under the sun from school. Am I being too crazy? Be honest! lol. 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker