March 2018 Moms

Flu shot

Flu vaccine is recommended for all pregnant women in 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Apparently it can offer protection for the newborn as well after birth. Just wondering who is planning to get one? 
(I am not trying to start a vaccine debate.... please stay civil and respect others opinions) 

Re: Flu shot

• I'll be getting mine. Thanks for the reminder. I need to go get one for me, and DS, and DH...
  • Loading the player...
  • Flu shots already acquired for everyone in my household.  
    ***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• Got mine a few weeks ago! 
  • Flu shots already acquired for everyone in my household.  
    same here. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I got mine a couple weeks ago too.
  • I got mine last week and H got his the week before that.

I'll also be doing the whooping cough vaccine and will see how many family members I can bully into getting theirs as well.
  • Already got mine  :)
    DH is getting his this week and DS is getting his first dose on Monday. 
    DS was sick and bad a fever at his 1 year check up last year and couldn’t get the shot, I was supposed to call and schedule a nurse appointment but totally forgot until February (bad Mom award. Oops). So he didn’t get the flu shot last year. The first flu shot children get they need two doses, after that it is a single dose. Just an FYI. Unless your pedi is different. 
  • was planning on getting it this weekend.... came down with the actual flu last night.  i plan on fighting this off 100% and then I'll go. what a total bummer 
  • bb3vj3n said:
    was planning on getting it this weekend.... came down with the actual flu last night.  i plan on fighting this off 100% and then I'll go. what a total bummer 
    Have you talked to your OB? They might recommend antivirals to make sure you both are ok. Thinking of you! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Got mine a few weeks ago. Just a reminder, they're supposed to ask, but make sure they know you're pregnant because they do give you a version of the shot that is different than you would get if you're not pregnant. 
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited November 2017
    vflux33 said:
    Got mine a few weeks ago. Just a reminder, they're supposed to ask, but make sure they know you're pregnant because they do give you a version of the shot that is different than you would get if you're not pregnant. 
    I think each OB is different on thimerosal-containing flu shots vs thimerosal-free flu shots. With my son my old OB only gave the thimerosal-free flu shot, but my current OB is ok with either. Neither one has ever been proven harmful and the thimerosal is minimal. The CDC has them both labeled safe for pregnant women, so it’s more personal and/or OB preference. 

Nasal spray vaccine is not considered safe for pregnancy and should never be used. 

Edited because fat thumbs 
  • vflux33 said:
    Got mine a few weeks ago. Just a reminder, they're supposed to ask, but make sure they know you're pregnant because they do give you a version of the shot that is different than you would get if you're not pregnant. 
    True - though many places only give out the preservative free one (which is what they give to you if you're KU).  I went to a CVS inside a Target and they said that's all they used - which is probably smart since many pregnant women don't know for the first few weeks.
  • Haven’t received it yet, but we definitely will be getting it.
  • Got mine.  DH got vaccinated too
    ***TW***
    Me: 36  DH:35
    Married: 7/10/2016
    TTC#1 - May 2016
    BFP 9/6/2016 - Missed MC 10/20/2016  
    BFP 5/5/2017  - CP
    IVF #1 - June 2017  - Transferred 1 fresh 4 AA embryo.  7/9 Beta #1 - 161 
    <3 Adam <3 Born on 3/18/18

• Got mine at my 20 week appointment. Still need to make an appt for the 2.5 year old to get his.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder!
  • @ashleyf911 Do little kids need appointments or can you just take them into a pharmacy?

@muggle621 Agreed.  It's so easy and it's FREE.  I was already at Target to pick something up and just swung by the pharmacy and was done in about 4 minutes.  The shot itself stings for about half a second.  That's way better than getting influenza.
  • I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder that DH needs to get his and the Tdap!
  • @ksmwalters about the Tdap - Do you think adults should get it no matter what with a new baby or only if they didn't get their teenage booster?  I'm going to have to find out if H got his booster but not sure if I should just make him get the booster regardless?
  • @antoto our midwife said if anyone’s gotten it in the last 5 years (other than me - I guess you’re supposed to get it with each pregnancy) they should be good. Otherwise she advised getting one. 
  • @muggle621 @antoto Agreed. Even if you're scared of needles, having a needle in your arm for 2 seconds is way better than getting the flu! 
  • @fatstagnation I haven't called my OB. Going to give it a couple days.... it's only been about 24hrs. if I'm still feverish after 2 days ill give him a call. So far I've been able to keep the fever at bay with Tylenol
  • @LaurenAnn0405 that’s just ridiculous 
  • @LaurenAnn0405 wooooow I am so so sorry. I’ve never understood why people are so nuts about getting a shot, especially if its purpose is protecting their grandchild/child/niece/nephew. (If they’re not crazy anti-vax.) Just get the dang shot!!
  • @LaurenAnn0405 That's crazy! My mom said the same thing this weekend but I said "No shot, no baby" so now she is getting it. I'm sorry your in-laws are so stubborn.
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @mdfarmchick thank you!  And my MIL is a type 1 diabetic who gives herself multiple insulin shots a day so I know it's not a needle thing for her.  His parent's are the "nobody tells me what to do" type and don't really seem to care about the consequences.  It took DH a while to realize that but now that he sees it, it's something that really bothers him as much as it bothers me so while I'm sad that he had to realize something like that about his own parents, having the back-up from him is great because then I'm not painted like the crazy daughter-in-law.
  • Got mine six weeks or so ago. I travel quite a bit for work so there's a lot of germ opportunities. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • I got mine from my ob, the girls got theirs at their annual pediatrician appt, and my husband gets his at work. We’re all covered!
  • I’m hopefully getting mine next week and my daughter will get hers at her next appointment which I’m thinking will be at the end of the month. 
  • I'm 27 and have NEVER had a flu shot or the flu *knock on wood* but my OB said I should get one because if I get the flu, she'll hospitalize me. So I'm getting one in 2 weeks, lol.
  • ashleyf911ashleyf911 member
    edited November 2017
    @antoto I guess I'm not sure if I could just take him to the pharmacy or not? Last year he got it at his 18 mo checkup. He doesn't have another checkup until 3y, so I guess it would be more convenient just to go to CVS or somewhere while we're running errands if I can. 

ETA:  I got curious and called CVS. If it's a MinuteClinic they can administer to kids 18m and older because they have health professionals there. At a regular pharmacy, the law varies by state, but in Iowa kids must be 6y or older to get the flu shot from a pharmacist. Just in case anyone else was wondering!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @LaurenAnn0405 That's awful! I'm so sorry you are having to go through that!

Both of my parents have a really weird case where if the H1N1 strain of the virus(swine flu) is in the vaccine, they can't take it. They both had a weird bought of Guillain-Barre Syndrome https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20362793, where their own immune system attacked their nerves. It was in the 80's so there was probably some other factors that influenced the onset of the syndrome, but now they're doctor forbids them from taking another shot with the H1N1 strain, since there is a chance of relapse. 
     It freaked me out from wanting to take a flu shot a little, but I'll really just have to see what my doctor suggests. I don't know if it's something that can be passed down, since it happened to my folks before they had me, and I'm not sure if there's any sort of an anti-bodies that could have passed to me.   :# 
  • Got me and hubby done on Friday and DD trick or treated for one yesterday! I'm such a nice mom.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • All vaxxed for it here! Every year! I have had the flu before and I truly pray I never experience that hell again. DH had H1N1 that year everyone got slammed with it.. DS was 6 mos old and our doctor told us baby and I should leave the house for a few days. It was not good. At all.

I can’t remember who asked to tag, but our pharmacies will only vax ages 6+. DD had to wait to get hers at the clinic, the rest of us got ours before her at the pharmacy because they came in sooner there. 
  • We went for our annual flu shots last weekend.  
    My mom had been the only one who was hesitant about her vaccinations.  A couple of months before DS was born I shared an article with her recounting a mom's experience as her daughter struggled with whooping cough in the NICU at two weeks old. My mom apparently made her appointment right after that.  She told me that she couldn't imagine the worry and guilt she'd feel if my son got sick and she wasn't vaccinated.  She'd be too worried that she had been the one who had exposed him.
  • Getting mine soon. Tks for reminder.