June 2018 Moms

GTKY: Upcoming Vacations/Babymoons

Anyone have any vacations or babymoons planned (or thinking of)? If so...

Where are you going?
When are you going? How far along will you be?
Why did you choose that time/destination?
What about it are you most excited for?

Re: GTKY: Upcoming Vacations/Babymoons

• I don't have any vacations or babymoons planned yet but I am interested in hearing about what everyone else is doing. I need ideas because my typical vacation involves a bit of drinking. I wouldn't mind just sitting on the beach for a long weekend but MH would hate that. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Haven't thought of anything. We didn't go on one before DS- It'd be nice to get away just the 2 of us even if it's for a weekend. @krashke That's how my vacations usually are too the beach doesn't sound bad. Going to follow this to see others ideas too.
  • Loading the player...
  • @galactickates those photos are gorgeous!!
  • before ttc DH was planning on taking me to Paris for my birthday in Feb. Hopefully that remains the plan, I would be 5 months. I'd like to do at least one more, even if just in the states. Since graduating our travel has declined to basically nothing, not bc of money but my jobs. Other than our mini moon (4 days, my dad's wedding gift to us) we haven't had a vacation together since 2012. We are long over due. Fortunately, my husband is self employed and this (Sept - Nov) is when he earns about 80% of his annual income. So we are in the best position to plan ahead now.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @doxiemoxie212 - thank you!  We have tons more from the Grand Canyon and other random places.  My DH makes time lapses sometimes which have turned out really well.  We just started really getting into photogtaphy last year so the earlier photos are still good but not as good at the newest ones.  DH just got an ND filter so waterfalls are his new hotness to photograph. I put a couple from Sept Glacier national Park in the spoiler.  Also I love Hawaii.  We were just in Kauai. It's my favorite island so far but I've heard Maui is one you need to experience! I'm jealous! 

• @galactickates ugh I really want to go to Kauai, but I heard it's super rainy in Feb. I'm hoping if/when we move back to CA, we can just go to Hawaii all the time lol.
  • @doxiemoxie212 we went in July and we got really lucky with the rain.  The Rainiest place on earth is in Kauai so even when it was super hot we'd still get get with rain sometimes, but not enough to stop us from doing anything.   If you ever go,  I can give you all the best places to see.   I'm not sure if you like to hike or not, even if you just liked pretty nature walks I could give you the best list of waterfalls/gardens/view points to see. We hiked to where the jurassic park gate scenes were filmed. By far my favorite thing.  There was no one there but us.  We didn't do a lot of eating out but we saw a ton.  We had a hybrid for 2 weeks and put 1,500 miles on it just zooming around the island.  Pro tip though - get a jeep. I <3 Hawaii.  Sigh - Now I'm day dreaming about my honeymoon.  I tell everyone "every day you see me I'm thinking about when I can go back to Kauai"
  • @galactickates i loveeeeeeee Yellowstone.  It was by one of the best places we visited on our road trip.  Those pictures are incredible too!!!

With DD we did a baby/actual honeymoon [Shotgun wedding ;)] just to the beach at the end of March.  I think we might do something similar again.  We were originally planning a big 40th bday trip for him with a bunch of his other friends and wives, but I think that will be out the window once we tell them.   
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sunshineandwhiskey - thank you!  I can't wait to see Yellowstone!  I fell in love with Yosemite but DH assures me that Yellowstone is like nothing he's ever seen. I have the travel bug!!! Tell me your must see Yellowstone list.  I don't want to miss anything! 
  • I know I want to do one, but I’m not sure when or where yet. Financially it would make the most sense to do it in February and have it also be my birthday celebration, so about 23/24 weeks. But the weather will be cold, and we wouldn’t want to be more than a couple of hours away from DS, so where we could go and what we could do is really limited. 

MIL has said she can watch DS, so she can either watch him at our house and we could do Tahoe or something of the sorts, or she could watch him at her house and we could do something in the Monterey Bay. The weather in Monterey/Carmel, etc will suck balls in February most likely. And Tahoe would have snow. Which would be cool except I won’t be able to get in hot tubs or anything. So I really don’t know. We could do something a little later in pregnancy and hope the weather is better, but I don’t want to feel like a whale on what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. 

@doxiemoxie212 ‘s post is making me want to go back to Maui though! We went in January when I was pregnant with DS (right at about 24 weeks) and it was amazing. I would LOVE to go back. But financially it’s not really feasible and I don’t trust being that far away from DS 
  • @galactickates Omg, i don't even know where to start haha I'll PM you some details :) 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was a little iffy on the idea of a babymoon with my first... because like you said, my vacays usually just involve tons of cocktails, haha. But we did one with my second and it was AMAZING. We went to Myrtle Beach on the off season... not that expensive, and we stayed in a SUPER nice hotel. It was cold but not *TOO* cold... we went for some nice walks, went out to some nice restaurants, slept in as late as we wanted to, cooked dinner together a few nights... They had basically a free redbox machine in the lobby, and every night we would go out to eat or cook and eat together, and then watch a movie and snuggle... go to bed... and sleep in. It was so glorious. Maybe because I already had a kid and I never had time to myself with just my husband, but it was so nice to have that time the two of us to reconnect and recharge. I have already been talking with him about doing something similar again! Maybe since I'm due at the end of June instead of early April this time, we can go somewhere a little warmer and enjoy the outdoors even more!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • There are so many good ideas here. We haven't planned anything, but have discussed the possibility of taking the train up to San Fran and staying for a long weekend. I've actually never been to SF even though I've lived in California for almost a decade, so it's a long overdue trip. I think we would probably shoot for March or early April if we can make it happen. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• I feel like I live in a vacation setting... But it's so much work getting it to be a vacation if ever! Ha! No trips other than the hospital... And that had recently changed too! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • That sure is nice to think about.

*eats peanut butter and jelly for lunch for 4th week in a row*
    Nov Sig Chall

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @basemodel lol! I'm there with you!
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @basemodel maybe you can just do a staycation. See if a family member or friend can watch your LO's for a night or two and just hang out just the two of you. 

We have had a major wake up call with our budget, spending too much going out to eat and drink, so everything will be pretty much going to savings but I hope we can swing at least a weekend near by. 
    *TW LC*

• manda9485manda9485 member
    edited November 2017
    Where are you going?
    DH, DS, and I are going to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

When are you going? How far along will you be?
    We are going Dec. 16-23, and I will roughly be 14 weeks

Why did you choose that time/destination?
    Before anyone gives me grief about Zika, DH and I scoped it out in January when we were vacationing and we didn't have a single issue with mosquitos, not one. Every other year we take a trip with DH parents and this year we knew they were looking at Cabo and we knew we would likely be trying for another baby in the fall, so we thought Cabo would be perfect since it is so mild that time of the year. We will be telling our OB at our first appt. on 11/13. DH and I vowed that we would not let having children hinder our love of travel, so yes, we know this is a risk, but after being well educated about the area and climate, we feel we are making an educated decision.

What about it are you most excited for?
    Laying out in the sun and playing with DS in the pool! He's going to be so fun and love it. We took DS to Grenada when he was just shy of a year old and he loved it and was an awesome little traveler, so we can't wait to see how he is this year since he loves to play in the water.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We had a trip to Iceland planned in November (mostly for the northern lights and the hot springs), but now that hot springs are out we decided to change it. We're going to Arizona, so I can lay by the pool and MH can golf. We picked a resort that we can have a private cabin with an outdoor fire pit. I'm really looking forward to it. 

We're supposed to go on a family trip to Key West in March. I'm a little stressed out about it because I don't know if Zika is an issue there or not. I've Googled it, but am only finding outdated news stories. If anyone has a good source, I'd really appreciate you sharing it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 I believe if you go to the cdc’s website re: Zika it’ll say Florida is an outdated risk location 
  • @doxiemoxie212 Gracias! I'll check it out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have been discussing the idea of a cruise this winter with DS.  However, (a) I want to save my time off since I don't get paid leave; (b) right now, I'm so nauseated I couldn't imagine getting on a cruise; and (c) I know someone who went on a cruise at 30 weeks and ended up giving birth in Mexico.  So, I'm not sure . . . 

With DS, my H and I went to the Cape for a few days.  It was wonderful to sit on a beach and do nothing.
  • I was opposed to a babymoon with DD because, like others have said, my idea of a vacation involves some cocktails.  Instead, we planned an anniversary weekend getaway to Palm Springs 2.5 months after she was born.  This time, I am not necessarily looking to plan a babymoon, but I want to take DD somewhere and do a vacation that is just the 3 of us.  We have taken her on vacations before, but it is always with other family members and never just us 3.

@krashke budget wake up calls are the worst LOL.  I feel ya!
  • @marcus7676I wouldn't dare do an international trip in the 3rd trimester. I live in TX, and I'm from Florida, and right now my sisters are planning my hometown shower for mid/late Feb. That way I'll be far enough along to be showing and know the sex. I'm sure that'll be my last plane ride of the pregnancy.
  • @galactickates -  Ditto to the Yellowstone/Teton trip being a must!  We figured we hiked 10-20 miles each day we were there.  For wildlife lamar valley at sunrise and/or dusk...you'll for sure see critters.  Grand Prismatic spring, of course.  Get a map and go through the loop.  Don't rush it- take the long ways/back roads.  As for the Tetons...omg love.  Take the boat ride at Jenny Lake and do the Cascade Canyon hike.  Getting down to the canyon is fairly steep but easily do-able but once you're down there it is pretty flat so an easy walk/hike and you're almost guaranteed to see Moose.  It is beautiful.  Also, if you start at the Lupine Meadow trail head and take the garnet canyon trail you won't be disappointed.  We took it on a whim not realizing what we were getting into but it takes you right to the snowcaps of Grand Teton.  We had to turn back at that point because we only had tennis shoes but it was gorgeous.

We won't be doing a babymoon this time as it is our 2nd and we got back from a trip to Mt. Raninier and Olympic Natnl Park / Seattle 3 weeks before our BFP. 

With our first we took a very last minute cruise to the Bahamas the last week of Jan/first week of Feb.  Neither of us had ever been on a cruise and aren't super big beach people but it was so nice.  We mostly sat in the cabin with the balcony door open binging Shameless. 

• We are moving 2 states away in April. Does that count? Other than that, we live in a tourist destination and have no family anywhere close. Staycation it is! 
  • @kmurdock925 thank you!!!! I'm going to screen shot your advice so I don't lose it.  Our friends just went up to Mt. Rainier, a couple weekends ago.  That's not that far if a drive from Portland and we've never explored it.  I think realistically that will be our next weekend trip.  How was it? 

I feel like I know nothing about being pregnant but I could talk about traveling forever. I love seeing different national parks and sight seeing. I feel like this thread is my new home.  

Has anyone been to Zion? I really want to explore that park as well.  
  • @galactickates - Awesome!  You'll LOVE it.  A good tip I did for Yellowstone in regards to photos is take pics of the signs of the geysers/waterfalls/what-have-you we were looking at so after the trip I could remember what was what because there is just SO MUCH and to an extent, especially the geysers, it starts to look the same.

Rainier is great.  My husband was there on a 2 week deployment a few years ago and had much more time to hike more.  He wants to go back with some of the original guys and do the wonderland (??) hike, basically base to summit.   We just spent 1 day there and the goal was to get to a glacier- and we did.  Although, we went WAY off trail and had to trek through some snow fields- found a herd of mountain goats though!  I would definitely go back...but if I had to choose I would go back to the Tetons first.  I just prefer that type of stabby mountain landscape, and I felt like there was more wildlife...for lack of better terminology. 

I'm glad we can say we went to Olympic- but we literally did the entire loop with all of the destination (obviously not the back-country/permit destinations) in a day, including the 3-4 hour drive from SEA. 

Zion is on my list, as well as Glacier, all of the parks in Alaska, Redwoods, and Yosemite.  We don't typically do easy hikes so it is a tough call of leaving DD behind, soon to be 2 kids, or waiting until they're old enough to go with and settling for easier hikes.  Its tough because I want the kids to experience these things- although I would NEVER take them on some of our hikes- especially back country/off trail.

• @kmurdock925 Yosemite is one of my most favorite places I've ever been.  If you only go to one place in the entire park which I know isn't likely go to glacier point.  I've only been to Yosemite twice but of all the views I saw that was by far my most favorite. 

I love the pictures of sign trick. Usually when I vacation I take a picture of the sign first and then the views so I can easily figure out where we've been as well.  I also throw them up on instagram so I have a travel diary of sorts with tags.  

I'm loving all the travel suggestions! 
  • My babymoon $$ will likely go toward paying our insurance deductible for maternity care. Sigh. But seriously, I think I'd like to take DS to Disney World in the next year or so. He has a November birthday and so it would be a fun time to go for his birthday. Baby#2 will be about 6 mos if we go next year and he would be 2. Not sure what the logistics of that would be like, and we may need to wait another year, but it's something we're planning with plenty of excitement.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista please don't be offended (this has happened before) do not take a child to disney before age 3 (I honestly recommend age 5 & up). He likely won't remember and cannot ride many of the rides. The height chart I've pasted below. During my childhood my dad was in the Mickey Mouse Club so we went to disney frequently, my youngest sister doesn't remember any of the trips. In addition, she could not get on many rides and she was more disappointed than anything. Its not a complete waste you can still see the characters but I promise he'll enjoy & remember much more at age 4 or 5.

Magic Kingdom® Park
    1. The Barnstormer at Goofy’s Wiseacre Farm – 35”
    2. Splash Mountain® – 40”
    3. Big Thunder Mountain – 40”
    4. Stitch’s Great Escape – 40”
    5. Space Mountain® – 44”
    6. Tomorrowland Indy Speedway – 52” to ride alone

• @ffw0617 @austenista I have zero personal experience, but I've worked with a lot of parents over the years (I work in PR, so there's just a ton of small talk before every conference call with clients, which was pretty much every hour of every day), and they all talked about how the best age to take kids to Disney is age 5, and they regretted taking their kids earlier than that if they tried. I'm not sure exactly why this was such a common topic, but it was. lol
  • While I personally wouldn't spend the money taking kids that young to WDW. I went last year and that ish was expensive! 

However, one of the funniest family stories we have is from when we went as a family when I was probably 4-5, my brother would have been 7 and my sister 9. I was too short to go on the rides and the older kids were so excited to go on Space Mountain. We checked my height just to be sure, and sure enough I was just about an inch too short to ride. I threw a fit right there in front of the sign. We have a picture of me standing there in my red and white polka dot leggings and red and white striped top sobbing in front of the sign. 

It's not always about the memories that they will remember but the opportunity to spend time as a family doing something they will love. 

Also when I went back last year as an adult I recreated the picture celebrating that I could ride, sans the red and white get up. 
    *TW LC*

• Not offended. I have a friend who goes several times a year with her 3 yo and I know she was taking her last year too. Now I wonder what they're doing with her that they're enjoying themselves so much to go over and over. She was the one who was making me want to hurry up and go. I'll ask her. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 unless you can afford multiple trips 5-8 are the best ages. They are big enough to get on most of if not all of the rides, and its still magical to them.
  • @ffw0617 yeah, totally agree. I went to Disney World for the first time when I was 7, and I loved it. I don't know that I would've been as into it if we'd gone a few years earlier or later. Though, TBH, what I loved most was that our hotel had a pool where the bottom was just sand, and I think that would still be something I'd enjoy lol lol.