Flame-Free FriYAY Confession

I am impatient! Let's get to it!

Nov Sig Chall

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Flame-Free FriYAY Confession

• Loading the player...
  • @tepr14 I'm totally the same way. Most of all I want my kids to be kind, responsible, and happy. Straight A's don't make you a good person.
    Nov Sig Chall

• There's a really nice coffee shop near me, they have caffeinated drinks and pastries and they are donations based so you can give however much (or little) money you want for a treat. But the best part is they have awesome indoor and outdoor play areas for kids. It's a great place to take my daughter during the week. But it seems like all the mommy groups in town are finding out about it because a few times we've gone there have been tons of kids with their moms hanging out. I'm glad the place is getting more business but my confession is I'm also kinda sad that it's not such a hidden gem anymore lol. 

Plus a lot of times the moms are so busy chatting that they aren't watching their kids and I've seen some of them get pretty aggressive (the kids, not the moms). So that's annoying.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @oneblessedmess that really sucks about losing your hidden gem. I lost one recently at a play cafe that was really low key and the same thing has happened now. My daughter is so gentle she doesn't hit or push back and she doesn't run away. Im always worried she is going to get bopped a good one when shes with groups of older/more aggressive children.
  • @Miz_Liz I have had to seriously yell at other people's little kids who just come up to mine and start harassing and pinching and shoving. It's like, WTF how does a 1.5 year old learn to act this way? 
    Nov Sig Chall

• @basemodel YESSS!!!  I am not going to stand by while some kid puts hands on mine.  
  • @notaknottie912 My daughter is the same! She will not hit or bite back. She's only two so right now my job is to be watchful and make sure she knows I have her back if someone messes with her. Hopefully as she gets older I can teach her to be more assertive.

@Miz_Liz Exactly. And I mean, I know that for stay at home moms, that interaction with other adults can keep you sane, but at the same time you shouldn't be so engrossed in your conversation that you have no idea what your child is up to, especially if they have a history of being rough or aggressive.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Miz_Liz @basemodel couldn't agree more! I take my son to a mom and me class once a week and there is a child who pushes, shoves, puts fingers in faces, throws things at other children and the mom is typically too busy chatting. My son now just avoids him but the few interactions with him I just went into teacher mode about it and when mom noticed she didn't even come over or say anything. Some kind of acknowledgement would have been cool. Even if to reinforce with her own child, but what can you do? 
  • @tepr14 it makes me so sad, especially if it’s in my own community because I keep thinking that these are the kids that my kids will be going to school with and if no one is taking the time to teach them how to play with others/keep their hands to themselves...
  • @Miz_Liz Its scary to think about. I myself didnt have an easy time of school as I was gentle, eccentric, and didn't find my peers' behaviour to be fun.
  • Posted about this in my due date check-in just now... I have a 12w pregnant... frenemy might now be the right word... and I know she thinks it's fine to drink during pregnancy. Even though I think women should be able to make their own informed decisions about their bodies, and even though I think a small amount of booze is probably not harmful, I am still going to be judging her based on how much she drinks tonight at girls night out. Yes. I am petty. 
  • @zamora_spin Oh, I'll judge to that.
    Nov Sig Chall

• @zamora_spin I would judge anyone who drinks during pregnancy with the exception of the occasional glass of wine later in pregnancy that has been shown to be safe (I still choose not to, but I don’t judge those that do).  12 weeks?!
  • edited October 2017
    1. I totally have a LLR dress I love but I didn’t buy it and never would spend that kind of $$ on it. 

2. I’d have a hard time not saying anything to your friend @zamora_spin. I may have one glass (or half) during third tri, but with DS2 I did and proceeded to throw it up immediately :(

3. People who don’t discipline their kids... can’t even. I feel bad for my kids when other kids don’t get in trouble for being mean to them. (Not that I’m perfect by any means!!)

4. AFM I have no baby bump to prevent me from it but my legs haven’t been shaved in QUITE A WHILE. wore capris to the gym and cringed when I realized I look like an ape. 

ETA sent it before I was done. 

H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • @zamora_spin I'd probably say something...I can't sit back and watch that...  I've almost talked to randoms about smoking in their cars with their babies.  DH had to hold me back at Taco Bell (I know classy establishment) once. I was at a low point after our second loss and was like, I would give anything to have babies and they get to have babies and are being reckless.  :| 
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Miz_Liz Its bound to happen especially with littles as they are learning how to communicate with eachother and being physical is a form of communication. But like you said thats why its important for someone to teach or model a way to play/communicate with others. 

@fantasticmrsfox Ive had alot of moments I realize I look like an ape...pregnant or not :#

• On the drinking - she apparently asked a mutual friend for her opinion because frenemy's H does not like that she is drinking wine during pregnancy, and mutual friend refused to comment. Idk how much wine it is, like most of you I think much later in pregnancy a half glass (maybe even a glass?) of wine is probably nbd. I will be very curious to see how much she actually drinks. She is under five feet tall and two glasses of wine normally gets her drunk so, to me, more than half a glass seems like a really poor plan. Like @PatientlyWaiting10 I have had losses and I can't really see how drinking during first tri (or smoking, jeeze) is worth it from a guilt management perspective.
  • It's so frustrating when parents don't watch and discipline their kids. IMO they are setting their kids up for failure if they don't teach them how to behave and interact with others. 

I agree with others about having to say something about drinking this early. Why would you do something so cavalier with the life/development of your child. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
  • chiming into this discipline/watching your kids thing. I'm coming at this at a weird angle. my FFC is I AM that helicopter parent. DS is on the autism spectrum and adhd.. and he doesn't understand boundaries, consequences, or when he's just being to rough or pushy. So when we're out, I actually worry if I'm not on top of him constantly that i'll be looked at by other moms as that mom that doesn't discipline... when we really try. hard. he just has reasons why he doesn't 'get it' yet.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • It is interesting to hear how many folks on here are against drinking during pregnancy. Maybe it is social circles or where we live, but all my friends/acquaintances who have children drank a glass of wine (or maybe more?) when they were out in social settings. I assume it was post first trimester only, but I only assume that because they were showing. I never thought it was a big deal. After reading some on the subject I don't have any issue with it and will presumably do the same once I'm out of first trimester. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @laceybee522 I think it's the amount of drinking that bothers people.  I read the studies on alcohol during pregnancy (or summaries of the studies) and am comfortable having a sip of wine now, or having a small glass later.  But, I totally judged another mom who, at 7 months, had at least 3 glasses during our holiday party - - that seemed excessive.  
  • @LaceyBee522 I just think if it is something that I can easily avoid to prevent possible challenges why not avoid it?  I know there are A LOT of things that could fall into that same bracket and I guess I'm not really even a social drinker so it's NBD for me to go out and have a glass of water with friends instead of an alcoholic beverage but still.  And I could be considered a hypocrite too because I don't eat incredibly healthy all the time or exercise regularly.  Just my two cents.  
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I personally get drunk so easily (a single beer or glass of wine is enough to make my cheeks blazing red and giggly) so i feel no amount is safe for me. I could never drink 3 glasses of anything not pregnant and walk out without an arm. I dont like when people tell me to lighten up and let loose. I also have liver disease so its not particularly great for me to indulge in the first place but considering all fats and alcohol fats arent good for me I live a little here and there. On my own terms.
  • @catlady1215 I understand what you're saying. I think as parents and as the people watching the situation (I would hope) we'd be able to recognize the difference of any child "not getting it" or still learning versus being purposeful or doing something out of malice. Hopefully I didn't come off judgey previously. 
  • @catlady1215 I agree with @tepr14 that I think most parents watching would (hopefully) recognize the difference.  I have a close friend whose daughter is on the spectrum too and she is the same way - always on top of her in case others don’t realize, etc.  I personally think that just means you’re an awesome mom because you recognize that issues could arise and you are doing your best to prevent them.  I also applaud your hard work, I have seen how hard it can be with her.  Your son is lucky to have such a great mom.
  • @LaceyBee522I agree with the sentiment that it seems like most people on this thread aren't necessarily against drinking, but against an excessive amount. Personally, I will drink my occasional small glass of wine or beer (or glass of champagne on NYE!) after the first trimester and feel great about it.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @LaceyBee522 Like I said, I feel a little petty judging her because it is ultimately her body. Alcohol is not arsenic. @doxiemoxie212 I would not judge anyone for a sip, or even a couple sips once in a while, even during first tri. I have also read Expecting Better, I thought it was a good read. The author was more comfortable with booze consumption than I would be, but I liked that she set a good framework for making your own decisions (which, again, here I am being judgy). I really do think it's safe to have an occasional glass of wine or whatever later in pregnancy, I just think it's not worth the possible guilt to have more than the occasional sip in first tri. 
  • @miz_liz aww well thank you! it definitely has its hard days, that's for sure.
    @tepr14 oh no you didn't come off judgey at all!

me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • FFFC: I love terrible reality TV. TLC is like a train wreck I can’t stop looking at. 

• Drinking - with DD I drank a beer once a week or every other week once I passed 1st trimester.  DH and I are for sure social drinkers, so for me the hardest part was not having that first drink with everyone else.  Once I allowed myself that, I often didn't even finished it, yet I didn't feel deprived.  

Confession - I'm kinda excited for jury duty on Monday because it means I have a day to mess around on Facebook and my computer.  I hope I didn't just jinx myself and I end up on a trial.
  • +1 @hjungk84 about support! Loving it too.

FFFC - We have some friends that are sailing on to the southern part of the country tomorrow and they anchored across the canal from us, so we went and had pizza dinner as a farewell. It was delicious... However her DH opened a bottle of wine (as we did the day we met them for our first pizza dinner many months ago) and he poured me a tablespoon size glass... I smelled it (divine!) and had a wee sip (so smooth) and instantly felt queasy. I guess we won't be doing that again anytime soon. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Obviously this is anecdotal, but my friend drank quite a bit during all trimesters and her kid has a lot of problems now. But she was getting tipsy/drunk off hard liquor, not just having one glass of wine. 
    I personally don't drink unless I'm getting tipsy, so I don't drink when pregnant. Just my personal choice- I don't really care what others do and even if I do, I'm not going to say anything out loud haha.