March 2018 Moms
Options

PGAL Check In (week of Oct. 18)

This is a safe space for those who are pregnant after a loss. General TW for this thread.

How far along are you?

Any appointments coming up?

How are you doing? (Dear diary posts and venting are welcome and encouraged here)

GTKY: What is your occupation?

Re: PGAL Check In (week of Oct. 18)

• Options
    How far along are you? 16+4

Any appointments coming up? Finally - yes!  Tomorrow :)  then another week and a half to the big u/s on 10/30

How are you doing? (Dear diary posts and venting are welcome and encouraged here)  Very heavy emotionally...sometimes I can't fathom I am handling so much at one time... Deep, deep sadness and longing for Mars is at the forefront of everything...  hope and anticipation of expecting this new little love...  and my older sons have a LOT going on... Zane has homecoming this weekend, and hes heavily involved in school as a musician as well as a filmmaker so he's NEVER home... and we are trying to figure out a good balance of me chauffering him and his friends around, and him taking LYFTs when he's out past curfew, which is every weekend all the time...and Vance's soccer team was just knocked out of the 1st place slot with 4 more games left in the season... its a LOT...nevermind the homework!

GTKY: What is your occupation? I have always been a SAHM wannabe.  I left my career in IT when I had my first kid to be an executive assistant for the work/life balance... I called it one step closer to becoming a SAHM, but unfortunately have never realized that dream, but I do have a pretty sweet deal if I HAVE to work... I'm an assistant to an SVP at Disney...and have worked for the same exec for nearly 10 years... so yes... free Disneyland :)

@justkeeptrying thanks for keeping this group going... finally feeling unmistakable baby too!  Yay for us!
    Mama to:
    Zane William 9/17/03
    Vance Xenophon 5/17/06
    Mars Florencio 11/15/16 - 3/6/17
    Nova Marsela 3/14/18
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How far along are you?

20+5

My anatomy scan was Monday—it’s definitely a boy. And my next regular appointment is next Thursday. 

How are you doing? (Dear diary posts and venting are welcome and encouraged here)

I’m doing okay. 2.0 was kicking around and wiggling in there and we got some adorable pictures of him sucking his thumb and with his hand cuddling his cheek, Monday. I have those same pictures from my first too so it’s pretty special.

I hope I remember to ask about what position my placenta is in next week. I’m just curious. 

I’m still struggling with all the references to this being my second child. There’s no normal way to talk about the babies that you lose and it’s just an awkward little twinge that I get every time it comes up. 

Also, any other stm+ want to reassure me that the soreness with my bump and general uncomfortable feeling is normal? Between ICU trips and losing my grandfather last week during my flight back home after visiting family for a week, I am a little concerned that stress is causing me to have more symptoms. 

I worked in banking and customer service for about a decade before MH and I spent 3 years in England. Now I’m a SAHM and thinking I want to start my own photography/design business eventually. 
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying yay yay yay for baby flutters!

@senora76 that’s a pretty great job! My cousin worked for Disney World in FL for over a decade and now is self-employed and they contract for her to do jobs on a semi-regular basis still. So fun and lots of perks. MH and I joke that’s where we will work when he retires. :smiley:
    ps, I’m glad you are getting more movements too! 
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick I'm sorry for your loss and that its been emotional...  what kind of soreness? My bump has been a lot more sore this time, but its been subsiding...  I am crampy now and again, but it doesnt really feel painful anymore.
    Mama to:
    Zane William 9/17/03
    Vance Xenophon 5/17/06
    Nova Marsela 3/14/18
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick, I agree with @senora76, what type of soreness? I am definitely still having cramping and am feeling a lot more stretching and pulling this time around compared to with DS. Which surprised me. I thought my body would recognize what it was supposed to do. But maybe I'm just more aware of it this time? I'm definitely feeling more sore overall this time around - both in my belly and my lower back!
  • Options
    @senora76 thanks. I’ve been wearing either a belly band or a full panel because my bump just feels heavy and uncomfortable if that makes sense. If I don’t have the extra support, by the end of the day I get Braxton Hicks really bad and just feel sore overall. And while I think the Charlie horses are a result of the long flights, I’ve been having those earlier ((they were third trimester before)) along with my lower back just going into spasms at the end of the day. Bleh. My back has been better the past couple of days, but I’ve been trying to greatly minimize my stress levels the past couple of days too, and I’ve been resting more since we’ve gotten home because I did a lot of standing and walking around the hospital. 
  • Options
    How far along are you?
    22+ 2

Had one yesterday, next is about 3 weeks away with my MFM.

Still having occasional pressure. Doctor did a pelvic exam and also checked on u/s and cervix was long and closed. It’s just a weird sensation and makes me nervous. He thinks it’s baby growing, her positioning, and could also be from me not going to the bathroom regularly. I’m lucky to go once a week, it’s more like once every two...  :|

I’m a SAHM, but I do have my K-8 teaching degree and license. That I’ve yet to use...... Ah well, maybe someday. 

@mdfarmchick I’ve also felt that my belly is heavy and sometimes bruised feeling, but I have the same feeling in my pubic bone, too, so I’m just hoping it’s from all of the growing going on.. 
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick I was very much the same in my last pregnancy, it may have to do with the position of the baby? I had ridiculous back and muscle pains too... I really just throught it was because I was 40 and not in my 20s like my first pregnancies...however, this time around I'm not quite as uncomfortable so maybe it was just the position of the baby...  Consult with your dr if it worsens. We are flying to Spain next month... not looking forward to the long flights... may even invest in compression socks...

@chasingroygbiv ridiculously constipated here too :(
    Mama to:
    Zane William 9/17/03
    Vance Xenophon 5/17/06
    Nova Marsela 3/14/18
  • Options
    @senora76 I definitely recommend the compression socks... the running ones on Amazon are more comfortable than the stockings. What position was your LO in that caused the problem? I’ll ask my doctor at my appointment next week. He was head down during my anatomy scan. 
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick Mars was head down from early on too but man, was i uncomfortable... aches and pains everywhere- i had this terrible nagging pain in my upper belly that was like a muscle spasm nearly the whole pregnancy.  I really just thought it was all because I was 40, but I’m a year older now and not having those pains knock on wood.  I am crampier this time though but even the cramps are less and far between... 

I’ll check out amazons compression stuff... not a fan of stockings, especially on a 12 hour flight (sounds like torture!) but maybe the knee socks? If you have a pair u loved let me know... I made this same trek when I was 28 weeks last time and was okay...this time ill be 21-22 weeks. But worried traveling prior to viability... but trying to positive...
    Mama to:
    Zane William 9/17/03
    Vance Xenophon 5/17/06
    Nova Marsela 3/14/18
  • Options
    @leilaquinn, welcome to our little corner of March 2018. I'm glad you've decided to join us. This group of ladies is extremely supportive and I, personally, really value our conversations. 

A loss is a loss. It's huge no matter what stage of the pregnancy we are in. At least for me, the second that stick turned positive, I had a baby in me. Losing a child, no matter what gestation or age, you are losing a huge part of yourself. And all the dreams and future plans you had along with it. An early loss is different than a later loss in a lot of ways, and its the exact same in so many other ways. We are here to support each other no matter what. I'm glad you decided to contribute! 
  • Options
    @leilaquinn welcome :) I wish there was more posting here because I don't feel comfortable anywhere else!  Its a very nice group. I suffer with low low blood pressure and feel like passing out... my baseline is pretty low normally but during pregnancy it gets scary low...  good thing i like to eat a lot of salt :)

I had my appt today and started Makena shots - they do them in the office now - so although its a hassle to come in every week to get a shot, after feeling how painful they are, I could not imagine my husband having to give those to me at home!!!  Wow... its still stinging now.  I've gained 12lbs which worries me but my dr said im actually slightly under where he'd want me to be - so its not unhealthy... I need to slow it down!  Gained 65 lbs in my first pregnancy and do not want to repeat that.

The phlebotomist asked us if this was our first pregnancy...it was the first time I heard DH answer this question... He said no its our 2nd, without flinching... it made me happy that he was not sweeping anything under the rug.  I then corrected him and said, "its his 2nd but it's my 4th"  :) ...didn't feel like bursting into tears over this one.
    Mama to:
    Zane William 9/17/03
    Vance Xenophon 5/17/06
    Nova Marsela 3/14/18
  • Options
    @leilaquinn I was somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks when I had my loss and baby didn’t grow beyond five weeks. A loss is a loss and while I think infant loss is harder, it’s all emotionally draining. Welcome. Continue posting. You are more than welcome here.

@senora76 I don’t have a specific brand on Amazon but look up “running compression socks” and then I just picked some that weren’t ugly and had good reviews. The stockings were incredibly uncomfortable and I don’t want to deal with those again. It’s interesting... with my first, he was head down from 17 weeks onward and I don’t remember any of this. I honestly think I need to tone down on the stress right now because I think that will help. Thank you. <3
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the welcome.

• Options
    I got a letter in the mail from our hospital today asking to rate my "most recent hospital visit" and give feedback. 

My most recent hospital visit was in April when I miscarried my beautiful little Jacob. 

I filled out the survey. Mainly because I wanted to praise my wonderful nurse and criticize the medical terminology of a "spontaneous abortion" that the doctor used. 

It was painful. I haven't cried over my loss in a few weeks. I miss my little boy, and my little girl I lost a year ago. 

So so thankful for this new little one. But having a hard day. 
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying that is ... wow. I wish they were more sensitive about sending those out. Sending hugs your way. 
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick, thanks. The letter did say they apologize if this letter comes after the death of a patient, and sending their condolences. But you'd think they'd have a better way of screening who gets these. Although I do feel my feedback was valuable. I hope they actually read it. 
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying the mail can surely be haunting... I leave the mail for my husband to get as I cant take the surprises... I’m sorry you got a real zinger today :(
    Mama to:
    Zane William 9/17/03
    Vance Xenophon 5/17/06
    Nova Marsela 3/14/18
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying those are awful! I got one after Leah died and I'm like "are they asking me about my visit for when she was born or are they asking me about my visit for when she died" anyway.... I ignored it. They sent another one! I wrote pages of feedback on why their newborn screening isn't comprehensive enough and provided sources for countries that did do heart screening st hospitals and even other hospitals in our province that did it as well. 

They've since changed legislation in our province to implement pulse ox testing for all newborns. That makes me SO happy. 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv I really dislike when people say "everything happens for a reason." I dislike even more when someone tells me "everything will be okay."  
    Mama to:
    Zane William 9/17/03
    Vance Xenophon 5/17/06
    Nova Marsela 3/14/18
  • Options
    Yeah,everything happens for a reason is not at all helpful, and I feel especially like to say that to me means you either don't know me or you are ignoring the fact that I don't believe that that is true. I don't keep secrets well at all, at least for myself and told way more people immediately than was a good idea. @chasingroygbiv I am so sorry for your losses and thank you for the welcome.

• Options
    How far along are you? 20 weeks and 1 day, which basically makes me feel this:

Any appointments coming up?  I have my full anatomy scan on Tuesday, and my next appointment with my ob is on Wednesday.  Hoping all is well with baby and that my placenta previa is clearing itself up!  My uterus has grown a LOT since my last appointment, so my fingers are crossed that that means my placenta's moved away from my cervix.

How are you doing? (Dear diary posts and venting are welcome and encouraged here)  So, I've noticed a pattern in myself.  Thursday's are the day my pregnancy advances a week, and usually, those are good days.  Except for the Thursday before an appointment: then I get MANIC thinking about how I probably believe I'm further along than I am, that everything has gone wrong, that I'm going to go to the doctor and hear bad news.  This gets me super depressed and I'm basically impossible and inconsolable until I actually get to the doctor and confirm that things are okay.  This has happened every single pre-appointment-Thursday since I was nine weeks along.  Yesterday morning, it started setting in and I couldn't get myself out of the funk.  Adding to the problem was the fact that last week, I thought I had started feeling some baby flutters, but I haven't felt anything consistent in the last few days.  I was freaking out to the extent that I finally broke down and bought (same-day-delivery bought, which is even worse!) one of those fetal heartbeat monitors on Amazon.  I resisted it for so long because I had a feeling it would just cause me extra unnecessary panic.  Long story short (too late), it came last night and my husband and I were able to locate baby's heartbeat pretty dang quickly!  It was very distinct from mine, and it was such a sigh of relief to have this way of checking in and confirming she's okay.  I know nothing can compare to the doctor's opinion, but it really set me at ease for these few days before my appointment.  (Sorry that was so lengthy!)

GTKY: What is your occupation?  I am a teacher!  I love it, but I've also been a little frustrated lately: it feels impossible to be a really good teacher without dedicating 100% of my time to it.  With my losses last year and this current pregnancy, there's been more to my life than my job, and it just sucks to feel incapable of excelling.

@chasingroygbiv , @senora76 , @leilaquinn - "Everything happens for a reason" is the WORST.  Every time anyone says that, I want to say, "Really?  What was the reason for this?"  It's insensitive and simplistic and just awful.

@leilaquinn, welcome.  I just started feeling comfortable enough to post myself recently, but I think it's so important and good to be a part of this community.  Like @justkeeptrying said, a loss is a loss no matter what, from the moment you see that pink line.  I am so sorry to hear about your loss, and hope everything wonderful comes your way in this pregnancy!
  • Options
    thanks @ashtuesday. and I love my Doppler, I have struggled sometimes to find the heartbeat, now I know probably because of the anterior placenta, but I have always found it eventually, and I can always fall asleep that night knowing that whatever else is happening, his heart is beating.
  • Options
    kalawakalawa member
    edited October 2017
    Ugh finally able to post again after a week of the app being down. So today, I was reflecting on this pregnancy and it's issues and I became rather upset. I need to know if my feelings are legitimate or just maybe me being sensitive. So after my 3rd big bleed at the hospital back in August I had a proper ultrasound completed to see what was going on. This is when it was determined that I had a large SCH. Well, after this, the ER doctor came back and said the only way to see if I was having a MC was to check my cervix. I said, okay, but you have no point of reference on my cervix. You don't know the general state of it. He said the OB on call said to do it. So he checks, says it's open, and then says...but I don't know how your cervix generally is since you've had 2 children already, and MC the twin sac last week. Then says...but I think it's the worst scenario. K thanks doc. So I leave the hospital upset thinking the worst. Well obviously that didn't happen. So last week at my appointment with my MW, we are discussing it. She said that when she called the OB on call at the hospital, they had told the ER doctor that the only definitive way to tell was by checking the cervix thoroughly, but since the ER doc was not trained in OB/GYN as a speciality, not to do it. Since checking it would cause irritation. And the US tech didn't check cervical length, so viewing the cervix from the outside would have no real meaning. So finding this out...I was like okay whatever. But a week later...I'm angry. I sat around for a week in August fearing the worst because of a doctor who preformed a procedure that he was instructed not to do. Even after I questioned him what answers it would even give. My MW also said that because my cervix was a little bit open to let blood out, he could have invited bacteria and infection in. So I know I can't do anything, but it just feels good to reflect and get it out I guess. 
  • Options
    @kalawa I don't blame you in the slightest for being upset!  So much about pregnancy loss is excrutiating, and I know from experience how an insensitive doctor or nurse can make things even worse. This doctor wasn't just insensitive, he made bad medical choices and told you inaccurate information that basically match your worse fears. You are more than right to be angry. At the end of the day, I'm glad you get to be angry with him - it's fueled in part by the fact that he was wrong and your LO is okay!
  • Options
    @kalawa, you have every right to be upset. A doctor did an unnecessary examination that is invasive and he was not prepared to actually do it thoroughly giving you inaccurate results and unnecessary stress and worry. Completely justified to be upset, especially given the circumstances and history of loss. I'm so sorry. 
  • Options
    @kalawa I think you should fill out a complaint just in general if you feel up to it. I don’t blame you at all for being upset and angry—I’m upset and angry for you. The best piece of advice I ever received was in L&D and the nurse waited until the doctor left the room, then told me that I can always refuse. I can say no. They can pressure you about something but you can tell them no. Honestly it has made a huge difference in my experiences with the medical field in general. I know that doesn’t help now, but maybe you’ll feel empowered to say no the next time someone is pushing an invasive, not necessary procedure on you. ((Like in less than 20 weeks when everyone wants to check your cervix)). 

I’m really sorry that you had to experience that and that you are still dealing with it now. Hugs. <3
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. It feels good fornsome validation I guess. @mdfarmchick If I lived in the city that the hospital was in, I would fill a complaint. Also, I am usually much better at saying no. But I guess in my vulnerable state, I just didn't want to deal with it. And also, luckily, my MW practice tries to perform as little cervical checks as possible. With my other pregnancies, it was the same. Only checked when I asked. 
  • Options
    Having a very hard time with clients at work. They get so excited upon hearing it’s twins / genders. So many people who are like “omg you get to have a girl it is so different from a boy.....blah blah girl clothes blah blah girl names” I just go along with it because the Leah conversation is too emotional to waste on strangers but I feel like I’m dishonouring her by letting them think this is my first girl. I feel like I can’t win but I hate hearing the sympathy from strangers and because of all of the medical mistakes that happened with Leah it is such a long story. I swore I would talk about her and acknowledge her but either way a conversation goes, I feel drained. 
  • Options
    @syssa-o, There can be such a fine balance between wanting to honour our beautiful babies and also having those awkward conversations with complete strangers. Your little Leah is so loved and even if you choose to not mention her every time someone talks about your current pregnancy, that is in no way a dishonour to her. You know what is going on in your own heart, and that's all that matters. 

Huge hugs!
  • Options
    @syssa-o I couldn’t have said it better than @justkeeptrying. Sending our love your way. <3
  • Options
    @syssa-o I got confused with the 2 pgal threads going and just now saw this.  Please PM me if you ever want to talk.  i get uncomfortable questions all the time... last week I had a girl ask me if it was my first pregnancy, I said its my 4th - then she asked me the spread in my kids ages and I hesitated to even go there but I did telling her probably way too much but there was no graceful way... I still feel like I just had my baby Mars... if its someone im only exchanging niceties with in passing I will usually breeze over any questions and not even mention i have other kids. Being pregnant is a visual sign to people like “please ask me about my pregbancy and children” The bigger I get the more I am asked...and its not getting any easier.
    Mama to:
    Zane William 9/17/03
    Vance Xenophon 5/17/06
    Nova Marsela 3/14/18
  • Options
    @senora76 the thread thing is totally my bad! I just saw pgal and posted, didn’t see the date. Thanks for the invite to chat. The conversations are so uncomfortable either way they go. I remember one time my old fam doctor said

”everyone has a conversation piece at a party... whether they are vegan, have adopted children, went to medical school or lost a child. DO you really want to be the person who brings up the dead baby?” (He was awful) 

but sometimes, I really DO want to be the person who brings up the dead baby because she’s such a big part of my life. DH has a way of seamlessly bringing Leah up without making anyone uncomfortable but more so in the proud dad way. I guess I’m just envious of his communication skills. 

Its tough because I WANT to bring her up, I just don’t want to have the conversation. 
  • Options
    @syssa-o, your family doctor sounds like an insensitive jerk!!! Wow. I can't even. I would have punched him. 
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying that was our last ever appointment with him. All he ever wanted to do was prescribe anti depressants, not that there is anything wrong with taking medication, but he knew I wanted to avoid medication. I think this was his way of saying move on. He lost our business! Lol
  • Options
    @syssa-o, I'm glad that you switched after that. He sounds terrible!