Trying to Get Pregnant

GTKY: Tales of My In-Laws

If we were on BabyCenter, this would be “DWIL Nation” (dealing with in-laws). 

Share your gems (or your diamonds if you have no complaints). 

Re: GTKY: Tales of My In-Laws

• P.P.S.  In-laws also include people your genius siblings chose to marry!
  • Loading the player...
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited October 2017
    @SmashJam. It is the third button from the left in the tool bar. It looks like a backwards P with an l. Click where you want the spoiler. Click the down arrow, go all the way down to spoiler. It will add a gray box. Type In gray box!  
    Eta words
  • My MIL watches DS full-time without asking for pay so I have zero complaints about her. She is a rock star and a champion. I'll admit I was annoyed at first thinking she was over-stepping but she has been SO HELPFUL. She takes him out on adventures and wears him out for us. It's great.

Now my BIL... spoiler for sure here and TWs abound (pregnancy, miscarriage, threatened abortion, drug addiction):

I'll start by saying BIL is genuinely a nice guy when he's not on heroin. He's been clean for over a year now which is really impressive given his previous clean records lasted roughly 6 months at most before he'd relapse and end up in jail. He's got a great job and he's really getting his shit together but we're still kind of holding our breath collectively and praying he stays sober.
    He's 33 and his girlfriend is 23. When I met GF the first time I told DW "Ha, we'll probably never see her again." I was wrong. Boy, was I wrong. A few weeks after we met her DW gets a tearful phone call saying GF is pregnant and she doesn't know what she's going to do. We were kind of freaking out because BIL at that point was in major recovery phase and really needed to focus on himself and we were worried he'd relapse due to the stress. We met up with her and said if worse came to worse we'd adopt the baby. Knowing what I know about birth and hormones and very powerful emotions I doubted she'd give the baby up to us but wanted to give her reassurance nonetheless that our home is open to another child if she cannot provide for it or handle the responsibility because we can. Well, this pregnancy sadly ended in miscarriage. DW and I were sad but figured it was for the best given their circumstances and assumed they'd be more careful with their BC moving forward. Well... nope. They got pregnant again a few months later. And shit hit the fan for a while. GF kept threatening abortion for the first 12 weeks and held that over BIL's head every time she got mad at him. She said she didn't feel anything for the baby when she had the first ultrasound and we kept telling her we'd adopt the baby but I think she wanted that power over BIL. She even asked DW for money to have an abortion :\ bad times all around. Somehow they miraculously reconciled and decided to become a family. About a month ago I was sitting in the kitchen making baby shower favors and started laughing at how ridiculous it was. I hope and pray it all works out. GF is having braxton-hicks contractions now and will probably have the baby in the next couple weeks. It's cool that we'll have a nephew and I am excited about that, but I worry about BIL's and his GF's ability to parent. DW and I are going to help as best we can.

• @Dilynne Wow! That is an awful thing for her to say to you. I would have lost my mind on her. To think that people actually feel they are being helpful when they say things like that, just drives me batty. 

@blackhottamales I feel so bad for your sister. I hope that she is doing better now. (hugs). I think I would have punched her SO for her. 
  • Oh geez as much as I like my in laws they definitely have done and said some crazy things. 
    Story loosely discussed having children/pregnancy 

Ok, so probably the worst one recently is MH called his Dad on father’s day. He called from England where he’d been for three weeks for work. He talks to his Dad and then his his mom who’s insensitive enough to randomly ask if we’ve considered having children so then father’s day would be for him too. MH was pissed that she said all that because she knew he’d been traveling a ton for a new job. I mean you’d think she’d understand how stressful that was and that he really didn’t need to hear crap about having children from her on father’s day while he’s sitting in a fricken foreign country away from me. 

• @SkilledSailor. I’d reply something about him being a real bad boy ;)  MIL likes to tel me things like what underpants to buy MH. 

@wishiwaspreggo @smashjam. Mental illness is so tough. The particular subset of addiction is especially awful. <3

@blackhottamales. Oh he’ll no to your BIL!  And way to educate so many people about Down Syndrome. :)

@Dilynne um, rude. And I guess I’m glad MIl is waited on & FIL does the housework so I’m not held to that standard!  I’ll tell your MiL you are teaching her son all the thing she failed to do so :/

@jaylii. Ugh. Also rude. Glad YH saw that, too!

• @jrm_14 Haha I've considered it but she wouldn't get the innuendo and would start pestering me about what he was doing wrong. Also, I read all of your (horror) stories. Where's my kitten? 

@Dilynne Um your story literally made my jaw drop! How awful! 
  • Oh I love posts like this, my MIL does lots of little things that kind of just mount up. She's lovely but a stereotypical no one is good enough for my son but my daughters boyfriend can just show up and he's fantastic!

TW loss, babies:

One thing that still really frustrates me is less than a month after my first loss Fi's cousin had a baby and she'd driven up for everyone to visit but it was way too soon for me to hold a newborn. So I told MIL that I wasn't going and just say that I felt sick and didn't want to give anything to baby. Then later I found out that she told them that I didn't go because I was watching my tv shows?! If someone told me that they couldn't see me and my new baby after I'd driven up to see them because they were watching tv I would be pissed as hell.

Oh and there was also the time that she got me uninvited from Fi's cousins wedding but didn't have the balls to tell me or Fi so he went around for months assuming I was still invited because no one had told him differently. That was fun, to this day over two years later she still hasn't admitted or apologised to me about anything. 

• @blackhottamales what a bitch, I can't even get my head wrapped around saying that to children! Also shaking my head at your sisters SO, I feel so sorry for her a little empathy goes a long way.

@Dilynne I would have not been able to keep my mouth shut that is just so unbelievably rude.
  • SmashJamSmashJam member
    edited October 2017
    @wishiwaspreggo addiction is a b*tch, and for all your bro and his gf and their other issues, at least he's holding on to that! Hugs to you, and i am simultaneously glad/sad for you that you are close enough to help as much as you can. I left the state after college and all subsequent moves I actually made sure I wouldn't be close enough to drive home for a crisis overnight.

@ literally the whole board...what is it with MIL and their ability to constantly say whatever they want? It's like they think we have to put up with their words because they are family FILs seem better at keeping their filter on.

@Dilynne I did laugh out loud at your "hipster with disabilities" tag. Who says that stuff to ANYONE, let alone family?!

ETA: remove a random tag
  • Oh my MIL is an absolute treat! She has said so many things over the last 6 years. She once told me I better not have any boys because I'm too sensitive to raise sons (I am 3 of 4 girls). She started out rehearsal dinner without us because the actual rehearsal was taking too long, and when we got there and I was visibly upset, the first thing she said to me was, "you know, you really ought to smile more, you're getting married tomorrow." I walked out of my own rehearsal dinner. And then our first Christmas as a married couple, she got mad that MH couldn't come home for it, because I only had 3 days off. She asked him to just come home without me, ignoring the fact that it was our first Christmas, first wedding anniversary and my birthday! 

My FIL is normally nice but he often says sexist things, like, "I'm surprised Ben let you get tattoos while he was deployed" or using the phrase "like a girl" (I call him on it now but was afraid to the first few years). And he often puts his foot in his mouth. 
    TW Pregnancy and Miscarriage 
    MH and I have a 2 yo and were trying for #2 right before he deployed, so imagine my joy when I found out we were KU on deployment day. I told my family immediately and we were going to wait a few weeks to tell his, but my little sister was on a date with my BIL (that's a whole different issue) when she found out and told him, so we decided to tell MH's parents that day too. Fast forward 2 weeks, I have had a MC and I called my MIL to tell her and asked that she tell the rest of the family (I did the same with my mother). The next day my FIL calls to tell he is sorry (which is sweet) and that unfortunately he had told a few people and he is embarrassed he will have to tell them I lost it. And then he says, "I just thought this could never happen to you, we've always thought you were such a good mother." I ended that conversation asap. 

TTGP October siggy 

***TW Living child and loss mentioned***

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    13 March 2017: Loss at 4+6

• @lunapup Oh my! Good for your H on recognizing the problems within his family and distancing himself. That takes a lot of strength! 
  • Ugh... All of these have my BP spiked.  Why do in-laws/families suck so much sometimes?  *hugs* to you all!  My FIL is AWESOME which makes up for the nutcase of my MIL.  1/2 the times she's equally amazing but the other 1/2 the time she's bat-ish crazy.  Don't have any good stories at the moment, I'm sure I will tomorrow or the next day lol.  

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV