Here we go...

Me: 28 | Husband: 39
Married March 2016
DD: born 7.22.16
DS EDD: 6.23.18
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UO Thursday 10/12

• Options
    Ha. I wonder who will start us off after last week . . .
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im mad I missed out on last weeks UO...but part of me is kind of happy I did for my own sanity.

Anyway I'll bite and start off simply I'm not a bin fan of pumpkin spice anything or coffee.
  • Options
    I don't really like Harry Potter, Star Wars or GoT. Really anything sci fi, geeky, or fantasy. I haven't even seen any Star Wars of GoT and I have no desire to.
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @Amphibious22 - I debate with H about cloth diapering all the time. He's 100% against it because he thinks it's gross, but come on... we used to clean up dog poop on the regular. It's so much better for the environment and saves so much money.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @Amphibious22 DO IT! Started to cloth diaper for DS around 6 months and I have no regrets. It was a bit overwhelming at first because of so many different options and terms. Honestly I watched a number of youtube videos to get an idea of things. We did start out doing it part-time (mostly when we were at home) then as we got more comfortable we did it full time.

I don't understand how that can be a point of argument? I understand there are a lot of people who think its gross (H and our families) but wow. Way to stand your ground!
  • Options
    @Amphibious22; @izza2 part of me wants to cloth diaper and part of me is like that is WAY too much work. I haven't done a ton of research yet but I want to try to find diapers that have better materials that are more biodegradable. Wishful thinking?
    *TW LC*

• Options
    Love seeing all the considering for cloth diapers right now. @izza2 You're absolutely right about the dog poop. I used the same argument with my H...plus saving money.

@krashke It's really overwhelming at first, and with all the information I was reading it made me want to back out. Once you get started though you begin to get used to it. If in the end you opt not to don't stress it's not for everyone.
  • Options
    @izza2 Invest in a diaper sprayer that attaches to the toliet. It makes cleaning up poop a breeze and it seriously comes in handy when you have to clean poop out of the tub! 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @tepr14 ; @dinodna3 not to get off topic because we will probably have a whole discussion around this at some point but if you cloth diaper do you find it harder for family or baby sitters to want to change the diaper?Or do you just use disposable when other people are watching the babe.
    *TW LC*

• Options
    I just got my BFP on Fri, so I missed last week... Was the thread deleted? I can't seem to find it...
  • Options
    @krashke My family didn't seem to care much at all about it. I would use disposables when I know my ILs were going to be watching LO without me because they had a hard time with the snaps. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    re: cloth diapering - I know some daycare's won't cloth diaper
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love all the support for cloth! @tepr14 my mom is a super huge germaphobe so the concept of reusing something that had poop on it is too much for her. Also she's grossed out about putting poop in the washing machine. I work with animals for a living, poop is just part of my life. 

@doxiemoxie212 thats really good info. Obviously since I've never done it, there would be some kinks to work out but from my research, it sounds like there are different fabric choices for inserts. Some of them have the damp feeling on the baby and some are more stay dry. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Options
    @izza2 No I agree 100% with what you're saying above. I think they should definitely provide support and not just come, be an AW and leave. That's why I noted:
     I feel if members are being supportive when they can be, giving instead of just expecting others to give to them all the time, it shouldn't matter if they're in every conversation or pop in once a week to check in with everyone.

DD: 09/16/14 @ 37 weeks
    Baby #2: BFP 09/29 @ 11 DPO | EDD: 06/11/18
    Betas: 10/04 - 235 | 10/10 - 2,975 | 10/13 - 8,150 | 10/16 - 21,987

• Options
    goldenlolagoldenlola member
    edited October 2017
    @krashke I have no problem with snark. At all. Especially if they're not doing their own research with simple questions. With previous BMB the snark I'm referring to was strictly directed at people who weren't on the BMB every. single. day. So when they came in people had a huge attitude towards them.

ETA: words

DD: 09/16/14 @ 37 weeks
    Baby #2: BFP 09/29 @ 11 DPO | EDD: 06/11/18
    Betas: 10/04 - 235 | 10/10 - 2,975 | 10/13 - 8,150 | 10/16 - 21,987

• Options
    tammy574tammy574 member
    edited October 2017
    My uo is I dont love cloth diapering. :s   :o I feel like they are huge and babies can’t move freely with them on. The cost isn’t nearly as much for sposies as the polls like you to believe. Kind of like the cost they say it takes to raise a child from infancy. It’s inflated and outrageous. A family of 3 to 4 kids is not spending that much to raise a each kid by any stretch of the imagination. I subscribe and save luvs on amazon for $24 a month and if you add all the cost for cloth (water ,electric ,special soaps, strippers, diapers, covers, special bags, sprayer, sposies for occasion, and time etc.) it is realistically comparable. I know cost isn’t the reason most people do it and I see the point of chemical reduction/dump reduction, for me I’d rather reduce in other, less hard ways I guess! I have lots of good friends who cloth and I love them I just don’t love their babies bums! So I love all you cloth mamas while not loving your babies bums. Which is fine. I mostly only like my own babies bums in general anyway!  :D
  • Options
    tammy574 said:
    My uo is I dont love cloth diapering. :s   :oI feel like they are huge and babies can’t move freely with them on. The cost isn’t nearly as much for sposies as the polls like you to believe. Kind of like the cost they say it takes to raise a child from infancy. It’s inflated and outrageous. A family of 3 to 4 kids is not spending that much to raise a each kid by any stretch of the imagination. I subscribe and save luvs on amazon for $24 a month and if you add all the cost for cloth (water ,electric ,special soaps, strippers, diapers, covers, special bags, sprayer, sposies for occasion, and time etc.) it is realistically comparable. I know cost isn’t the reason most people do it and I see the point of chemical reduction/dump reduction, for me I’d rather reduce in other, less hard ways I guess! I have lots of good friends who cloth and I love them I just don’t love their babies bums! So I love all you cloth mamas while not loving your babies bums. Which is fine. I mostly only like my own babies bums in general anyway!  :D
    You are right about the movement. They've done studies, and bulkier diapers do splay baby's legs and make walking/dancing/playing harder as baby grows. Not impossible, but noticeably more challenging, so it's not ideal for hip health. That said, there are definitely bulkier disposable diapers, too, so... 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 I have a bff who’s Lo could not roll over for the life of him. Until they figured out he could with his diaper off. Which were cloth. Not a huge deal maybe but something to keep in mind if you cloth.
  • Options
    My UO is that, in some cases disposables are an okay choice for environmental reasons. I lived in a major city with DD, and we composted our diapers. They went in the green bins. 

Re: popping in and out... I believe if you are supporting the discussion, and contributing (content, support, information, sharing stories) then you can come as often (or not) as you like. However, if you are just looking for validation of something, and not sharing, then.... ya. You need to give... and care and share. 
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • Options
    @krashke depends on who is watching him. My family and FIL dont do well with cloth diapers but MIL is great. Its very rare if ds is with someone else though because everyone is always busy/working. If I'm there I keep him in cloth. And @sunshineandwhiskey is right my sons daycare doesnt allow cloth so hes in disposable diapers while hes there. Im flexible about it. 

Last month we went on vacation to NYC knowing we wouldnt be able to change him as frequently as we can here we just kept him in disposable. 
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 I don't like preggers or preggo, but I have a bit of fondness for KU

@RatParade I AGREE!!! If MH was also pregnant, he wouldn't be drinking beer and would be peeing every 5 minutes. I have always thought that was weird so MH knows that WE'RE not pregnant. But I get saying we're having a baby because that is true. 
    *TW LC*

• Options
    krash_krash_ member
    edited October 2017
    @doxiemoxie212 I would have never have been able to convince MH to not drink this whole time. Its not like he's getting wasted every night but I don't mind if he has a beer after work or some bourbon before bed. Although the last couple nights the smell of alcohol has been really pungent. Not necessarily bothersome but more noticeable than usual. 

ETA spelling
    *TW LC*

• Options

@doxiemoxie212 My H still drinks.  He feels bad about it but if our situations were reversed you know I'd still be drinking lol.  I get by with just smelling whatever he's having ;)

Me: 32 | DH: 36

Married June 2005

1/2016 - TTC#1

4/2017 - Initial RE visit, Dx: Severe MFI (Varicocele, 14% motility, 3% progression, but normal count)

7/2017 - Stage 3 endometriosis discovered during laparoscopic removal of ovarian cyst

9/27/2017 - BFP at 10dpo (cycle 22), baby boy due June 9, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DashainaDashaina member
    edited October 2017
    Me neither. @PatientlyWaiting10. Gives me the crawlies. I had a yoga instructor (she only did pregnancy yoga) had never been pregnant and referred to the baby as "the kid" the entire time. It could have just been pg hormones at the time.. But I really wanted to punch her in the face. Needless to say I didn't attend other classes. Lmao. 

As far as cloth diapering and cost. I know that I am in the total minority with my lifestyle on this BMB... But we have always produced our own electricity (solar and wind) and always collected or harvested our own water (rain here and a spring on the property in VT) and I tend to make my own cloth diapers to hold 1-2 pees, so they stay trim (they're just as trim and the slim disposables,sometimes trimmer) and I've always ordered the separate liners to lay on top that wick the pee away from baby skin (literally they feel dry when the absorbant part is clearly wet) and I find it to be easy, cheap, environmentally friendly (we don't have trash pick up service in the middle of the ocean or in the middle of the forest on top of a mountain in VT a kilometer hike from town) and quite convenient and safe (I sun bleach all of the diaper parts that touch babies skin). I also am not judging anyone else. But for me it works and costs me a total of $100 a year IF I bought a whole new set of the diaper materials I use every year and covers. Which I don't. I love cloth diapering and have used disposables for a short time as well and they are not my favorite (I had many blow outs and only maybe 3 ever with cloth).

For night time @doxiemoxie212 I put my babies on a little potty made a pssss sound and then wrapped them back up in a new diaper if the previous was wet. Sometimes they went pee in the potty sometimes I missed it. Eventually we got into a rhythm. As soon as they woke up I put them on the little potty and almost 90 percent of the time they would go pee. Then we'd have naked time for a few hours (or the entire day, depending on what we were doing) during the day. I'd put them on the little potty throughout and lay them naked on a mat until they became mobile. Then we'd hang out on the tile or wood floor area and I'd just clean up accidents if they happened. Idk for us the skin thing was never an issue. I  diapered them whenever we left the house and changed and tried potty time as often as I could. I started to learn their cues and could tell a majority of the time when they needed to go. I am not saying this works for everyone, but just sharing what we did in case other moms are interested in an alternative. And because of this style of diapering we didn't have to do much extra laundry. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @RatParade @krashke I desperately miss wine lol so I just feel very jealous if DH drinks without me. Before I got pregnant we had a rule that we couldn't drink wine at home without the other lol. I realize typing it that perhaps that sounds nuts but it's sort of like not watching favorite shows without one another...? Kind of? 
  • Options
    @Dashaina is there anything you don't do? You truly inspire me girl! Wow, I've heard about the potty training from birth. Did you find this process helped your children be fully potty trained sooner?
  • Options
    tammy574tammy574 member
    edited October 2017
    I desperately miss wine too and find myself wracking my brain to try and for sure remember that I am indeed pregnant and no I cannot have it. Over and over. It’s my reward I give myself generally and there is like no other reward that compares. Where is the non alcoholic alcohol????

@Dashaina Your life is so intriguing to me! You live on a houseboat or sailboat? I want to know more.
  • Options
    @tammy574 I tried Seedlip but it did not extinguish my craving. More fun than seltzer tho? Shrug. 
  • Options
    @tammy574 I tried Seedlip but it did not extinguish my craving. More fun than seltzer tho? Shrug. 
    Whoa! I've never heard of this but kind of excited about the idea. Thanks for throwing the suggestion out there! I'm sure it's not the same but it's worth a try! Not drinking is a struggle in a state where it's a way of life/right of passage. Should be a long winter....
  • Options
    Whoa! I've never heard of this but kind of excited about the idea. Thanks for throwing the suggestion out there! I'm sure it's not the same but it's worth a try! Not drinking is a struggle in a state where it's a way of life/right of passage. Should be a long winter....
    BuzzFeed did a video on it (and actual gin) a while back, and Food52 has some recipes using it. I got the spiced one -- it's nice.