February 2018 Moms

Gtky: common sense

2»

Re: Gtky: common sense

• Common sense is in SHORT supply in this world, let me tell you. I work in a hospital and it’s scary how many people lack it and basic knowledge about their own bodies (especially the pregnant women!!). I don’t think people need to be doctors but come on, if you’ve been in pain for 3 years, 2 am is probably not the time to come to the ER to “finally get it checked out.” 
    Preach! I work at an outpatient clinic as an MRI tech. I constantly ask people, so how long has this pain been going on... "oh 2-3 years, I fell and never got it check out".  Seriously people, if it hurts, go get it checked out sooner rather than later. 
    babymakes9
  • Loading the player...
  • People that have no common sense while driving are the absolute worst! I was pushing DD in the stroller while in a crosswalk at a 4 way stop when some jerk who clearly saw us decided to speed and go right in front of us. Had I not been watching everyone so closely I probably would've been hit. 
  • sabriel1 said:
    My grandmother blasted my sisters engagement congratulations on FB before my sister announced on there or told all her friends. My sister kind of took for granted that most people know it is common etiquitte to not say anything about a big life event until you get the cue from that person's page so she didn't anticipate this was something she would have to explicitly say.

This is the same grandmother who thought LOL meant lots of love and was replying lol on people's RIP statuses :|

My mom posted on facebook about my being pregnant before I ever did. Seriously ticked me off. I don't get along with my mom to begin with and stuff like this is part of the reason.
    I feel your pain .
    My MIL was texting the rest of her family about the pregnancy before my husband even finished telling her. We have had multiple mc and we have always told the grandparents early and told them not to say anything. MIL claims this was never a thing and could not understand why DH was pissed. This is pretty standard behavior from her...
  • @babybro218 That jerk needs to get boxed in!!
    babybro218katefb17
  • @kristinl492
    my favorite are always the rectal foreign bodies that come through our ER. Like, tie a string to it maybe??
    babybro218babymakes9magnolia305clc515
  • @nightnurse92 I work in the PACU and we see plenty of those rectal foreign bodies. Its amazing how they make up a story about how it got in there and they stick to it no matter what!! You are going to surgery, the gig is up, its time to just admit it! Also they make products for that purpose, stop finding household products to shove up there!
    babybro218BrittaniLC
  • @mayapple44 and @nightnurse92 I can’t help but wonder what these objects were. My best friend thought she lost a tampon inside (we were teenagers that really didn’t know our anatomy back then) and that was like the end of the world embarrassing. I can’t imagine having to stick to a fake rectal accident story 
  • @sunflowermama428 they are usually really obscure items : glass test tube, toilet paper roll holder, small vase (not kidding). Sometimes the surgeon doesnt even know what it is. And the most recent one was a double headed dildo that had to be at least 12inches long. And yes it was completely inside and not visible. Aren't you glad you asked?!   :s
    babybro218SunflowerMama428BrittaniLC
  • @sunflowermama428 they are usually really obscure items : glass test tube, toilet paper roll holder, small vase (not kidding). Sometimes the surgeon doesnt even know what it is. And the most recent one was a double headed dildo that had to be at least 12inches long. And yes it was completely inside and not visible. Aren't you glad you asked?!   :s
    I'm glad she asked!  That is going to keep me laughing all day!!
    mayapple44SunflowerMama428BrittaniLCmpp06
  • @mayapple44 DH is going to love this story tonight. He’s going to be like wtf do you guys talk about lmao
    mayapple44
  • Rectal FB were always my favorite when Inwas an ER tech in college.
    there was one person who had a broken stool leg up there. He said he tripped and fell on, and it then broke....right...
    some one also blew a latex glove up like a balloon, and then shoved it up there, and was unable to retrieve it. 
    babybro218mayapple44jenniferjoy37
    Yes!!! When I was an X-ray student, I scanned someone with a dildo up there. Another time it was a toothbrush and toothpaste!! Where do people come up with this stuff? 
    mayapple44babybro218
  • @BrittaniLC, have you seen this video? Indiana State Trooper explains "revolutionary" safety feature on car ;) 

I teach a lot of college freshmen, and that has convinced me that common sense has to be explicitly taught-- and early. Actual (near-verbatim) things students have said to me recently:

"The assignment instructions said to turn it in through the online dropbox, but I wasn't sure if I should actually turn it in through the online dropbox, so I was wondering if you could clarify."

"I thought you said that the Week 7 Assignment was due in Week 8."

(and my favorite):
    "I thought the name on your office door was your husband's, and that you gave me the wrong office number."
    Married 5/27/13
    Anniversary

Baby#2
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD#1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    babybro218
  • @katefb17 That’s awesome! But seriously, people need to watch these kinds of PSAs because so many people do not use their turn signals!
    katefb17babybro218